The McCarthy Era

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Domhide

The McCarthy Era

Post by Domhide » Wed May 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Surely it is coming to an end. Back in 2012 I took a lot of stick for my comments and I take no pleasure from having been proved right. Sadly the club is now in a deep rut and a simple change in manager will not change our fortunes; there needs to more enthusiasm for success from the owner. I can only think that the delay in moving forward is a) so that we do not have any time to spend in the market place during the closed season and b) that they have their eye on another loser with no charisma that will become available after 8th June. That 'Baking Powder Submarine affect' that we once associated with ITFC is gone, the sub is flawed and we are now in danger of sinking to the bottom. I gave up my home / away passport back in 2012, so perhaps I should no longer comment on the clubs welfare, but when I read in today's paper that individual Premiership players can earn more in one week than I earned in my entire lifetime, before tax, or that ITFC have spent in five years I know the game will lose its appeal for all but a few. £143,000 Goal Bonus is obscene. Just like the board game Monopoly when one person has all the riches the rest lose interest.

Andym

Re: The McCarthy Era

Post by Andym » Wed May 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Very true unfortunately

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 pm

But his era isn't coming to and end, the very fact he is releasing players left right and centre tells us that. As it stands we have to put it down to one bad season in 5 years, however if the summer offers little in rebuilding and the new season starts off badly then yes his era may come to an end by Christmas but at present it is business as usual.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Many fans were not thrilled when MM took over the reigns. Many of us were aware of MM's defensive tactics and worn out strategies. However, I like many others knew MM had plenty of experience at higher levels and deserved a chance. I don't agree it has only been one bad season under MM, but I put more worth into the quality of football we play. Credit to MM for getting us into the playoffs, but in reality we were easily pushed aside. I suppose I'm greedy; I want the play offs and good football. So here we are at the end of a disappointing season, and on the verge of another campaign with MM. His 5th season in charge!....annnnnd, we're gradually getting worse! Okay we all know that, but even the Mick-Lovers must understand our frustration. Yeah, yeah ME doesn't make enough money available for transfers...I'm not a fan of him either. It's a lot easier to change the manager though, isn't it. Fine then, let's give MM another chance cuz he's "done a briiliant job at ITFC", right? I just hope my fear of a relegation battle next season is way off the mark...because Christmas will be too late.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Results wise it has only been one bad season, people can gloss over it all they want butwe massively overachieved the last Two seasons prior to this one and we only got beat in the play offs due to some unfortunate chain of events, we weren't brushed aside at all. It isn't about Mick lovers, I too think he should have gone but the reality is that he isn't going, so we either deal with it and see what this close season brings before writing next season off or do what many say they are going to do and walk away.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 pm

number 9 wrote:I don't agree it has only been one bad season under MM, but I put more worth into the quality of football we play. I just hope my fear of a relegation battle next season is way off the mark...because Christmas will be too late.
My feelings exactly. Our passing accuracy in 2005-6 was the lowest in the division. It's not just been one poor season. Lowering the wage bill is a positive. But we need replacements with a touch of quality. I expect us to start next season with Knudsen and Skuse in the team. One can't pass to save his life. The other rarely passes forwards. Pleased that Bru is leaving. I really thought he'd make the grade but even doesn't win a tackle or a header and is too ambitious with his passing. Scored too few goals and created too few. But Skuse is too unambitious in his passing. One goal in God knows hown many games and approximately 0 assists. We need someone who gives more than a f**king "water carrier" whatever that is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:31 pm

If Mick has got any self respect; IF the summer budget is akin to a tube of Smarties, then he must leave, without the redundancy, and take over at Sunderland.

jeremy rusher

Post by jeremy rusher » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Evans is taking this club and its supporters for proper mugs. How long can you carry on bluffing the customers ? How long can you continue ignoring the fans and their opinions ? How long can you display no interest in the town or its people ? How long can you go employing a manager who probably feels the same ? How much longer will this club be starved of proper investment ? Both Evans and McCarthy do not deserve to be at this club and many fans would echo that sentiment.

Maybe David Sheepshanks should come back and put things right ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 pm

bluemike wrote:Results wise it has only been one bad season, people can gloss over it all they want butwe massively overachieved the last Two seasons prior to this one and we only got beat in the play offs due to some unfortunate chain of events, we weren't brushed aside at all. It isn't about Mick lovers, I too think he should have gone but the reality is that he isn't going, so we either deal with it and see what this close season brings before writing next season off or do what many say they are going to do and walk away.
Season ticket sales down by 2000, so far...I'm afraid they're already walking away Mike...

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Though the fitness is way off and my previous heart attack now pretty much under control,I feel im ready to come back to the terraces and "Banter" with my fellow townies for which i miss dearly...............However Like many who pay good money for anything, we do expect value for it.

Marcus Evens appears not to give a toss about this club. Having had his wallet hit under several previous managers,I feel he is now too cautious and perhaps is hoping that MMs experience and knowledge will unearth two or three gems from the lower leagues.

The fundamental question i keep asking myself is...."Do i trust MM to bring in the right players to excite the fans and get this club on the right path?"......The answer is yes,,,I think he can....BUT and this is what i have a problem with......I also believe he may hold them back by asking them to play the MM way and lets be honest folks, Its not been too clever has it?

MM lacks the drive and ambition that so motivated him 10 years ago.....He has a cozy job at a cozy football club in a cozy part of the uk and a cozy boss who,s expectations are far below any of ours as supporters.

MM has made it quite clear on many occasions that he does not give a toss what the fans think. Marcus Evens in my opinion shares the same values and prefers obscurity hiding behind a puppet of a CEO who says the same old droll things but does not believe it.

Someone mentioned the demise of Blackburn and for me it is a valid point.....Where they changed their manager several times, We stuck with it and survived.......... But at a cost......This is the McCarthy era.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 am

While McCarthy is far from blameless, Essentially we lost our way when Magilton took over, now I got a lot of respect for the individual - far more than the asses that came in after him to present time - but from that appointment to this calendar year we've underachieved so much and fallen so far behind it could take years to regain anything like previous stature.

People say it's a mess and it is, no doubt about it, but then you realize who oversaw the above regimes and that individual alone is Evans himself. Right now it would be real interesting (for arguments sake) to see the latter out of the picture from this day and beyond and someone with ideas, interest - and above all the finances and readiness to utilize it - to just hand McCarthy a substantial amount of funds and let him do what he sees fit.

If he buys garbage or spends pennies at a time and plays players out of position in defensive formations then it will only confirm suspicion, but until such an instance is made available it's all basic assumption. Ideal world we'd have a manager that goes out to win, takes cup games with something more than apathy and actually attempts to make progress, and with it an owner who shows clear understanding in what we're trying to achieve and makes himself far more conspicuous than hiding away like some damn recluse.

Cobbolds and Robson were a perfect example of two parties being in tandem and doing what's best for the club and putting the team first, the pity is we've reached a point so many years later that the distance is so far between it's perhaps unmeasurable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:28 am

loudnproud wrote:Having had his wallet hit under several previous managers,I feel he is now too cautious and perhaps is hoping that MMs experience and knowledge will unearth two or three gems from the lower leagues.
Great to see you posting, LnP and delighted to read that the old ticker issues are in control. Good stuff.

That part I have quoted above from your post,...... I really do believe that to be properly true. Fans are very upset with the owner, and in no way am I defending Mevans, can't speak for everyone else, but I personally blame King Kock Keane for Mevans' reluctance to loosen those purse strings. Yes, it's sounding like a stuck or broken record, and it's in the past and it's potentially boring and not helping how to move forward, BUT, I feel that's the issue.

Getting in Roy Keane in the first place (not cheap!) and dishing out dough (decent dough) means that at one time, he was all for spending cash. But he just isn't now. That's the reason. I believe Ipswich Town would need to get someone like Antonio Conti in for Mevans to open the purse a tad more.

And then it'd all become very interesting....... Conti managing Knudsen and Moore? He'd no doubt hold the door open for them...... he looks a gentleman.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

number 9 wrote: Season ticket sales down by 2000, so far...
I think that's about a 15% drop which is pretty big. I wonder how many fewer would have given up if they hadn't put prices up by 1.5%
Not many I suppose as lots of s/t holders actually stopped going during last season despite having paid for it.

More crucially, I wonder what the club will do about it. I guess they'll try a few ticket promotions. They may well extend the early bird deadline again as they did last season. But I guess they won't make either of the changes necessary (ME selling or MM leaving) to persuade anyone to return.

The problem is, many s/t holders give up thinking that they'll cherry-pick the "good" games. But they might watch half a dozen the first season, and then that's it. Once the habit is broken, and they miss sitting with the same bunch every week, they give up. True, some will return if the football and results ever improve, but with £million less income that'll be harder than ever.

I'm waiting for it to be thrown back in our faces..."We can't afford to buy players because gate receipts are down" instead of accepting that the drop in attendance is an effect of the sh*te football, not the cause.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm waiting for it to be thrown back in our faces..."We can't afford to buy players because gate receipts are down" instead of accepting that the drop in attendance is an effect of the sh*te football, not the cause.
Yeah, I can see that coming.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 13, 2017 2:46 pm

The thing is it's a fact which fans won't like or accept.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat May 13, 2017 3:08 pm

bluemike wrote:The thing is it's a fact which fans won't like or accept.
Like I say it's cause and effect. Because the football has been dire the fans are staying away. It's no use blaming them. It's an entertainment industry and there's been little entertainment. It hasn't been poor because fans have stayed away. It's the other way round. Play decent football and they'll return. But I'd never blame them for staying away. Id blame the owner for not admitting it hss been poor and freezing - or even reducing - prices. A small gesture might have cost a million. Instead they've lost it through loss of sales.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Don't get me wrong I agree with you Andy but the fact remains with less revenue the spending will be even less which makes it virtually non existent, the preverbial chicken and egg.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat May 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Very true. I am guessing wildly but i suspect a few years ago our average home attendance was towards the top end of championship clubs. Now I guess we are in the lower half.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 am

Mean figure for attendance this season was 16,555. Season before the number was 18,989

Was unable to provide information for immediate seasons before it (i.e. 2014/ 15), but the clearest indication being we got a 30,000 stadium and struggling to fill it beyond half-capacity.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:53 am

Same all over though. Wait until Spurs or Chelsea have a poorer than average season; their new 60K capacity monstrosities will be half full also.