Wenger quote.....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Wenger quote.....

Post by marko69 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:06 am

Interesting quotes from Arsene Wenger yesterday.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailym ... enger.html

Maybe some truths from this could apply to this past season at Portman Road? In no way having a go at the fans discontent, no way at all, but I could imagine Mick and the players feeling like they were also playing in a "psychological" and "toxic" atmosphere at PR?

Tangfastic

Re: Wenger quote.....

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Good discussion point, Marko, to kick things off for a new thread.

If MM and the players are complaining about the toxic atmosphere and it affecting their performance - they might have a point.

Flip side to that - its their performances on the field that will mostly affect crowd reaction.

Bit of a chicken and the egg situation. I think the manager and players can have more of an effect in turning things around than the fans do - so I'm more on the side of fans, if its a case of taking sides.

Adding to that - ME and Milne seem to have scant regard for the fans, so fans will turn up at PR feeling cheesed of already. Add in sh*t football and the potential never-ending supply of sh*t football, then I doubt you're in the mood to sing " Super Mick McCarthy" or "there's only one Johnny Douglas".

Can't legislate for knob-head fans who go over the top or moan whatever the situation, but the fans have got to have some way to feedback discontent.

I get the impression if fans forcibly try and be more positive for the sake of being 'better' fans - MM/ME/Milne will take advantage of that and start taking the p*ss further.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 22, 2017 7:29 pm

To be honest I have taken a fair bit of criticism over the season for my thoughts on Town fans but for me Wenger is absolutely spot on, I believe 100% that the Town players have been adversely affected by the awful and at times toxic atmosphere that has prevailed at Portman Road this season. Ok we all know that the football witnessed has at times been dire to say the least and we also know that at times the players/team have struggled to perform to the desired standards we have come to expect. However, is that not when the team need the fans behind them the most ? We are supporters after all, I find the Town fans really poor these days, maybe it is a culmination of 16 years of apathy and steady stagnation but again the secret is in the title, SUPPORTERS !!! Thick and thin and all that no ? If you don't enjhoy then don't go but don't stand there 20 minutes and start with the jeering, booing, moaning, anti MM songs, picking on individual players to such an extent fellow players are visibly affected by it, and YES it has happened more than once.

There is a time and a place to vent your fury, after a game may be a good place to start but during a game is idiotic and shows the thicko's up for what they are ! I have been fortunate enough (or otherwise) to make it to 47 games this past season and certainly for all but Two or Three of the home ones the support has been a joke, I hear the old chestnut that the players gave us nothing to cheer about, what bollocks !! At 5 to 3 on a saturday the bloody place should be rocking when the players enter the field, we don't know how thew game is going to go at that point but no we still have to listen to the thick suffolk mentality of "f**king Douglas is playing again" or "McCarthy will set us up for a dull point" or "why the hell have I come here again to watch this sh*te? " etc etc bloody etc Well for me it's simple f*ck OFF.

We know we have problems and we know we ain't great well guess what for the large part the home support are f**king hopeless too, away from home it is far more palatable and I think those who make the effort to go appreciate things far more, they still understand that all is not rosy but they try for the most part to get behind the team throughout, we have had a fair few disappointments but at least we are doing what it says on the tin SUPPORTING. I honestly think us fans have helped to make this a poor season and we have without question created such a bad atmosphere that the players have at times suffered and finally I really couldn't give a f*ck who doesn't like it and who feels offended, the truth hurts.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 pm

While one of the UK's biggest and most established club sides, guessing their fans expect - or think - they have a divine right to be winning something every season, when they don't - then the sh*t hits the fan. Maybe the new stadium doesn't work for them, they haven't won the league since leaving Highbury if correct and remain finding it hard to adjust to new premises.

I think Wenger has done all he can now, arguably best team coach in club history above other illustrious names like Chapman and Bert Mee (George Graham not quite of the same plateau) but seriously, should quit this summer while there's still honor and not risk further condemnation.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Wenger has always passed the blame for Arsenal's failings. He blames referees. He blames fixture congestion, and now he blames the fans. I think a manager is at his wits end when he starts to turn on the fans.

Christ, Arsenal have been in the Champions League for 20 years and the've usually choked anyway. I guess it's the fan's fault.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:02 am

BERTIE MEE, TO BILL SHANKLY....
HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THE BOYS FROM HIGHBURY....,
THE SHANK SAID NO, I DONT THINK SO....,
BUT IVE HEARD OF THE MENTAL....., HIBEES!

Couldn't resist that. Every time I see Mee's name, it happens!

Jose Mourinho didn't help Wengers position a few years ago by essentially calling him a "loser". I think that really pi$$ed off the Gooner fans. In fact they've been impatient ever since and the atmosphere definitely has spilled onto the pitch.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 am

Posted that ^ whilst having breakfast. Then got in the van and heard the news. Unbelievable. Everything pales into insignificance this morning. FUUUUUUK. Suicide bomber BASTARDS.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 am

I have respect for Wenger for a number of things in the past, most notably the way in which he tries to get his team to play. Arsenal fans can moan (and I think they have reason to in all honesty) but at least they get to see quite a few good performances and watch some good football, we don't even get that. Problem with Arsenal is they charge a fortune to their fans and tell them they will be able to compete every year and every year they fail. They play well for 75% of the season but usually have a spell midway through the season and go out of every competition known to man. As an Arsenal fan that must be very frustrating and they then go and lose their best players because seemingly they don't have the ambition to really push forwards, its a vicious cycle.

Regarding Ipswich I think the point that has been missed in a lot of this is that the main gripe is that the fans are being taken as fools (by the manager, owner, CEO and club in general). It is true fans should support through thick and thin but in order to get everyone onside there has to be a project, a plan, something to grasp on to. It doesn't matter if we are sh*t, if the plan is clear and there is evidence of all playing their part in this plan then short term struggles would be more understandable. Problem is the club just keep taking the p*ss and our manager has jumped on this bandwagon too, how else can fans get their views across? Thousands have tried writing letters, going to events but supporters views fall on deaf ears. This then means the only way to get views across is at the game, I don't agree with it but I understand how we have arrived here. And lets be honest we pretty much do know whats coming when it gets to 5 to 3, we want it to be different but we know it wont be, that's the most frustrating thing.

Will be the same again next year I think as the club again are making no effort to appease anyone, there has to be a "meet in the middle" scenario here but theres not, Evans is just some self obsessed pr*ck who doesn't care who he pisses of. Ive heard stories in the club which to me prove he is this way, just cant see how we get out of this situation.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

The problem we have at Ipswich Town FC is having an owner with no real ambition for the club. I think he did have when he bought in but had his fingers burnt early on and wants to make sure it doesn't happen again. I don't like the way he charges interest on the Clubs debt whereas ambitious owners convert the debt to shares which effectively rights debts off. I know only the really rich can afford to do this but I think it's true to say ME falls into this category.

I don't know what the future holds but one thing for sure Town will be going nowhere whilst Marcus Evans holds the reigns.

At least Arsenal have a true benefactor sitting in the wings ready to pay more that £1bn to take ownership of the club and try to emulate what Abramovich has done for Chelsea.

If only.....

As far a Town fans are concerned, yes they are fickle especially the home fans, but you know what, the football club reaps what it sows.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I am sorry but I don't go along with this toxic atmosphere crap!
The players are applauded during the warm up and names are cheered during the team being announced. Applause is also given as they walk onto the pitch.
So what happens then?they either turn up and play like against Newcastle or as in to many games just go missing and then blame the toxic atmosphere!well that is bollocks no grief is given until the lack of effort and tactics is evident. So how are the fans supposed to show their ire? Leave it till the end as they scurry off the pitch so they won't hear the chants etc or let them know what they are doing is unacceptable there and then.
I don't agree with the booing of individuals but again I ask how are you supposed to show that you are upset about how things are?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 am

charlton837 wrote:I have respect for Wenger for a number of things in the past, most notably the way in which he tries to get his team to play. Arsenal fans can moan (and I think they have reason to in all honesty) but at least they get to see quite a few good performances and watch some good football, we don't even get that. Problem with Arsenal is they charge a fortune to their fans and tell them they will be able to compete every year and every year they fail. They play well for 75% of the season but usually have a spell midway through the season and go out of every competition known to man. As an Arsenal fan that must be very frustrating and they then go and lose their best players because seemingly they don't have the ambition to really push forwards, its a vicious cycle.

Regarding Ipswich I think the point that has been missed in a lot of this is that the main gripe is that the fans are being taken as fools (by the manager, owner, CEO and club in general). It is true fans should support through thick and thin but in order to get everyone onside there has to be a project, a plan, something to grasp on to. It doesn't matter if we are sh*t, if the plan is clear and there is evidence of all playing their part in this plan then short term struggles would be more understandable. Problem is the club just keep taking the p*ss and our manager has jumped on this bandwagon too, how else can fans get their views across? Thousands have tried writing letters, going to events but supporters views fall on deaf ears. This then means the only way to get views across is at the game, I don't agree with it but I understand how we have arrived here. And lets be honest we pretty much do know whats coming when it gets to 5 to 3, we want it to be different but we know it wont be, that's the most frustrating thing.

Will be the same again next year I think as the club again are making no effort to appease anyone, there has to be a "meet in the middle" scenario here but theres not, Evans is just some self obsessed pr*ck who doesn't care who he pisses of. Ive heard stories in the club which to me prove he is this way, just cant see how we get out of this situation.
Post of the season Charlton. Spot on !
:wink: