Berra speaks up.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Berra speaks up.

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 27, 2017 11:30 am

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5036899

I wish him nothing but the best, he has been a solid and loyal servant and 2 seasons back was the best defender in the Championship.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Berra speaks up.

Post by marko69 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am

Yes, excellent defender and I've got a lot of time for Christophe. As an ITFC report reader, he's definitely been one of the better players past two years, averaging 7/10's which is decent.

See you next season ya Jambo bstd as Super John McGinn runs rings roond ye! :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.
I'd say playing for Hearts is far more in his comfort level.
Now if we could just make Skuse homesick for Bristol.....................................

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 27, 2017 2:00 pm

If you choose a career that requires mobility the whole family should move. Thankfully for him he was only a second tier player and not a global star. The beginning of the end of his career I would think.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Smaller, less competitive league so yes, it'd be a comfort level for most English Championship players i'd imagine. Great move to end his career in my opinion.

You should go on QI, Rossi. That bell would be ringing with your every answer! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I don't expect he chose his relationship to fail and his partner to f*ck off with his daughter though which I believe is the case.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 27, 2017 5:11 pm

bluemike wrote:I don't expect he chose his relationship to fail and his partner to f*ck off with his daughter though which I believe is the case.

I was unaware of that Bluemike and if that's the case I fully retract my comment and fully support his move back to Hearts. In my book wives and girlfriends who hook up with footballers should support them and follow their careers wherever it takes them, the best example of this recently is Elisabetta Conte coming to England to support her husband after saying she would not leave Italy.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat May 27, 2017 6:13 pm

marko69 wrote:Smaller, less competitive league so yes, it'd be a comfort level for most English Championship players i'd imagine. Great move to end his career in my opinion.

You should go on QI, Rossi. That bell would be ringing with your every answer! :lol:
It's nowhere near that complex.

Supposedly brilliant defender (the best in the league according to some), and yet how many goals have we conceded since he's been here and ever-present in the team. Let next season be the judge - if we concede less goals without him, then I've been right all along ;)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 27, 2017 6:16 pm

Yes I think Berra has struggled for e last two seasons purely because he couldn't see his little girl.

Good Luck Christophe.......... but I would also add that it's time for Town to find a good replacement. None of this bargain basement Shyte we keep getting Evans please!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Hopefully he rocks up at Tynie or ER with his Tommy Smith book of defending for Derby Day! :D that'll do, Christophe!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:Yes I think Berra has struggled for e last two seasons purely because he couldn't see his little girl.

Good Luck Christophe.......... but I would also add that it's time for Town to find a good replacement. None of this bargain basement Shyte we keep getting Evans please!!
:lol: I think hell will freeze over before that happens Hal, thank God we've still got Webster,

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 28, 2017 9:39 pm

Good luck to him, he's always given his all.

I agree with Rossi's point to some extent; we haven't been a great defensive unit while Berra has been here. But I think that has more to do with MM's insistence on playing Berra and Smith centrally who are both left-footed, and Chambers at right back. I would bet that Chambers and Smith conceded fewer goals per game in the preceding season than we have since.

Essentially if MM had got in a half-decent right back and played Chambers & Berra centrally, we'd have had a pretty good defence. But his (MM's) stubbornness and refusal to see what we can all see meant a continuation of an unbalanced defensive unit.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 am

Agree with you totally Andym.

I'm wondering why McCarthy has done this so often over the last two seasons...he certainly never played players out of position at Wolves the year they went up! If he'd only do the right thing with his squad here, he'd still have the fans onside.

We say it every close season it seems, but this summer really does look to be a pivotal one for the Club, Evans, and McCarthy. The fans have "spoken", by walking away in their thousands. It's up to the Club now. But my feeling is there is no drive or desire by the owner anymore.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am

Next season will almost certainly a big one for the club Liz given that we appear to be in slow decline. Our season has just ended only 4 points clear of relegated Blackburn and despite what some think losing Berra will weaken the squad and whilst I'm no great fan of McCarthy replacing him with a less expensive inexperienced option (which is almost certainly what ME would do) worries me.

If only he would put the club up for sale and hope for the best that some foreign buyers can see potential in the club, this would appear to be our only hope of avoiding the inevitable drop lo League 1 at some time to come over the next few years.

I don't see any other way of reversing the slow decline.

Please someone tell me I'm being negative and pessimistic and talking complete bollocks.