How many summer signings will we make?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How many summer signings will we make ?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 pm

1)
6%
2)
6%
3)
19%
4)
25%
5)
6%
6)
13%
More than 6)
25%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

How many summer signings will we make?

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:01 pm

How many new arrivals do you expect to see before the new season kicks off.?
Last edited by Charnwood on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: How many summer signings will we make?

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Seeing as the squad is down to 19 from 26 I will take a punt on 7 to bring it back up to strength. How good those signings are remains to be seen.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:17 am

I'm with BlueMike. We need at least 7.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:07 am

Quality rather than quantity must be the order of the day.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Probably sign around the 6-8 mark.

However, I would prefer 3 quality signings ( striker, attacking midfielder, wide player) than 7 make-up-the-number signings.

You fill your squad up with players like Coke, Best, Moore, etc .... you might as well give youth a chance. We're supposedly got a good academy - might as well use it.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:00 pm

tangfastic wrote:Probably sign around the 6-8 mark.

However, I would prefer 3 quality signings ( striker, attacking midfielder, wide player) than 7 make-up-the-number signings.

You fill your squad up with players like Coke, Best, Moore, etc .... you might as well give youth a chance. We're supposedly got a good academy - might as well use it.
I agree. If the youth aren't good enough, get rid. Meanwhile they are probably as good and cheaper on wages than Coke, Best etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Andym wrote:

I agree. If the youth aren't good enough, get rid. Meanwhile they are probably as good and cheaper on wages than Coke, Best etc.
Come on guys, MM's not gonna change his ways. It'll be another season with old mates, ailing journeyman, and no name 'I wonders'! I hope I'm wrong of course, but why would MM change after 4 years of doing the same?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Thought maybe three of four, went with the former. No doubt wait until the last minute / final day of dealing, and then bring in a handful of obscure names or outdated journeyman. Nothing fancy, just something that Milne and Co would hope to please supporters and present some "belief" for a new season.

Someone mentioned that McCarthy has made the decision to stay on another year ? f*ck that, the very idea of another season of that colossal as* overseeing team affairs just brings loathing and resentment, can only hope it's false information and there's still every chance he'll vacate before we're underway once more in August.

Still it's very much early in this close season and there's still so much that can occur, but some are going to be more concerned with departures from this club than potential arrivals.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:49 am

number 9 wrote:
Andym wrote:

Come on guys, MM's not gonna change his ways. It'll be another season with old mates, ailing journeyman, and no name 'I wonders'! I hope I'm wrong of course, but why would MM change after 4 years of doing the same?
My head says you're right. My heart hope something has sunk in to MM. I'd like to try and get some positivity back before next season.

I just think one obvious way out of getting out of this depressing cycle is to place more emphasis on youth. It has its risks, but we were still losing with the same regulars.
What's not to lose.

Russell Osman made a statement a few weeks ago that the way the youth are brought up to play and the way the senior side play are worlds apart. Something's wrong there.
Surely there must be continuity in football from youth to senior level. We might as well change our academy staff and get 6ft 15 year old hoofers into our youth side so that they might as well have a better chance of making the senior side. Great to see the likes of Dozzell make the U-19 England side, but if some 30 something journeyman ticks Micks boxes more.... I don't see youth having much of a chance.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:09 pm

I think Number9 is correct. MM is a busted flush and too pig-headed and set in his ways to change.

It would be nice to be proved wrong, but I fear another poor season ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 am

Has the funds available to Mick been revealed yet? Depending on that amount, it's difficult to say how many new faces will walk through the door. Could be 5 or 6 Keiffer Moores, which of course would force a twenty quid bet on relegation.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:27 am

marko69 wrote:Has the funds available to Mick been revealed yet? Depending on that amount, it's difficult to say how many new faces will walk through the door. Could be 5 or 6 Keiffer Moores, which of course would force a twenty quid bet on relegation.
Apparently Marcus is checking how much loose change he has in his pocket and then all will be revealed.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:29 am

:lol: I'm assuming that you aren't really expecting to know this Marko? Looks like everyone is on holiday. Let's hope they come back with renewed motivation and a new plan.

I'm off to do the same.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:02 am

Yes, that was actually my point, DB. I can't really offer a number to the poll until the budget is leaked via a solid source on TWTD!!! :D

Enjoy your hols....... although, you are in Dubai!! Forget the hols, save your cash and just stay there! :lol:

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Jordan Spence has signed a 2 year deal
so 1 down
??????? to go

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Very good start, been impressed with him

Cue the moaning as he was free............

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 pm

No ex-spence spared?!

Fk it, I'll get ma coat.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm going to say 5. Hopefully those 5 will help make the nucleus of the squad

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:51 pm

No moaning.

Been here for a while and it's good to see a short term signing/ loanee who's earned a contract.

TBH - no surprise ... I thought he would sign anyway.

He's not going to make us any better because he's been a regular in the side, but good to tie this up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Watership quote:

Does this mean that instead of an electric atmosphere at Portman Road, it'll be more electron?

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm

marko69 wrote:Watership quote:

Does this mean that instead of an electric atmosphere at Portman Road, it'll be more electron?
I'm saying that with the hope it's not a NUCLEAR IMPLOSION

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:39 pm

:roll: I reckon as Marcus is cutting costs, 2 players only will be brought in, as the £1000 allotted for transfer funds will run out, so 1 player for £750 and the other 1 for £250 wages per week, on a free from a Ryman Premier league player, that should take us to 21 on the books, Mick should cope with that, and Marcus happy with the down turn in wage bill.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Not going to knock this Spence kid, boy's coming in and at least provide the chance to settle and show some productivity. Good enough a minority won't be impressed or find area for complaint but always give any potential signings the opportunity to impress or show attributes.

At least someone has come in if nothing else but forwards remain a conspicuous concern and looking around the lower leagues you could pick off names such as Bill Sharp and Johnny Marquis who contributed very well to their respective teams Sheffield United and Doncaster this past season and there's no harm in making approaches. Obviously we won't be bringing in any high profile names or extravagant acquisitions and how many players would even be tempted to a club that's often on the verge of total disarray, but it's down to the manager and owner to take notice, make enquiries and put into motion something that could actually go our way.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 am

Huws, Spence, Celina, Garner, Adeyemi and Iorfa takes it to Six additions, I think we will definitely see another striker coming in and would be good to bring in another winger too, get that done and I thin k we will be well set. I have been very happy with this summers transfer activity so far, both in and out.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Not sure what are Bru's wages but would hope that he gets himself sorted out soon. Certainly Pitman was on a good whack. Will be interesting to see if the striker is a loan or a perm. I can think of pros for both.

Another winger? We have three now. Maybe Pitman+Bru = wages for a decent striker?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I don't know like....... with all the name + name = equations , and with the electrons and nuclear implosions, ''tis gettin all too fickin technical.

Would never have gambled (or even guessed) on six or more. Well done TC & Choo Choo..... hopefully the new "pieces" are put into the correct places on the "board".

Come on, ITFC...... let's see Top six all season long.