Arguably best victory since Bannockburn

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Arguably best victory since Bannockburn

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Maybe one of the most recognized of all "football" games has an anniversary this day in that it's the 40 year celebration of the England /Scotland encounter at the former national stadium.

In short, this was during the now defunct home internationals and what occurred is arguably the most famous (sporting) incident between these two established names. A Scots win was to happen and subsequent sabotage of goal equipment, turf and stadia was an end result. 1977 is more known for the Queens Silver Jubilee and passing of one Elvis Aaron Presley, but on this day the Scots had arguably their greatest moment. Doesn't seem like 40 years but 6/4/77 will resound with some for generations to come.

Here is one players comprehensive view of that day and what occurred in short reading. Apologize for the need of immaterial advertisements the publication saw fit to include.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -1977.html

derick_ipsw

Re: Arguably best victory since Bannockburn

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:46 pm

Yeah?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Arguably best victory since Bannockburn

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:Yeah?
Not for me.

I remember, vividly, as a 9 year old, the day Elvis Presley died. My mother crying on the couch for an absolute eternity.

But I do remember my English Uncle Rab fi Coventry also bawling his eyes out at some stage. It was later revealed that it was due to the game Saint Jude is alluding to.

I certainly remember the battle of bannockburn very well indeed. The day Stirling Albion knocked the Cabbage out the cup! :lol: