Garner 2nd Signing ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Garner 2nd Signing ?

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:26 pm

TWTD understands Town are close to confirming the signing of Rangers striker Joe Garner.

Reports that the Blues were moving for the 29-year-old in a £500,000 deal first surfaced in Scotland last month and we understand the frontman is due at Portman Road on Monday to complete the formalities of his move, signing a three-year deal.

Garner moved to Ibrox from Preston for £1.4 million last summer, when Town were also interested, signing a three-year contract.

The former England U16, U17 and U19 international scored 10 goals in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances during 2016/17.

While Garner was reportedly not out of Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha’s plans, the Portuguese manager is said to be looking to wheel and deal as he rebuilds his squad during the close season.

Garner started his career with his hometown club Blackburn Rovers but was unable to break into the first team prior to moving on to Carlisle, initially on loan, then Nottingham Forest, Huddersfield (loan), Scunthorpe (loan), Watford and Carlisle for a further loan spell before joining Preston in 2013.

While with the Lilywhites the 5ft 10in tall frontman scored a 20-minute second-half hat-trick as the Lancastrians beat the Blues 3-2 in an FA Cup third round replay at Deepdale in January 2014.

The following season Garner won the League One Player of the Year award as he helped Preston into the Championship via the play-offs.
Any chance we can get behind the guy instead of taking the words of a failed manager (Butcher) and make our own judgements.

Andym

Re: Garner 2nd Signing ?

Post by Andym » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:06 pm

bluemike wrote:
Any chance we can get behind the guy instead of taking the words of a failed manager (Butcher) and make our own judgements.
Couldn't agree more. When it comes to strikers, key factors are the service they receive ( i.e. playing to their strengths), the formation and tactics used, and partnerships they form. That's why I'd like to see a more challenging series of friendlies. Given the poor opposition and MM's dislike of friendlies, he will probably need at least half a dozen league games to see how he fits in.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am

Nearly 30 years of age and that's the first I'd heard of the player ? Must have gone about his business damn quiet or someone so obscure they don't get recognition or completely off radar.

Just appear skeptical about potential signing. Sure we need better attacking options but could the player really be a solution to a problem. Furthermore if we did bring him in, how often would he even be utilized ? Can envisage one or two forward names leaving before start of (new) season but there seems zero chance McCarthy (if still in place) would submit this Garner to any starting line-up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 am

Welcome Joel.

Bit long in the tooth, but will definately add height up front.

Good luck, Big Bird.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:20 am

saint jude wrote:Nearly 30 years of age and that's the first I'd heard of the player ? Must have gone about his business damn quiet or someone so obscure they don't get recognition or completely off radar.

Just appear skeptical about potential signing. Sure we need better attacking options but could the player really be a solution to a problem. Furthermore if we did bring him in, how often would he even be utilized ? Can envisage one or two forward names leaving before start of (new) season but there seems zero chance McCarthy (if still in place) would submit this Garner to any starting line-up.
To be fair SJ hes been around for a while, was league 1 player of year couple of years back scoring well over 20 goals for Preston when they got promoted. He had been knocking around League 1 for quite some time. He looked woeful for Preston in the Championship though when they got up, I think he barely managed to score a goal (although Preston were not exactly free scoring themselves).

Not my choice of striker but as always will get behind him and give him a chance to prove himself. I would have given a 2 year contract at most though, not sure hes worth 3 to be honest.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am

What is encouraging is that we are willing to shell out 500k on a player who I would suggest is a Pitman replacement rather than our main forward.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am

Dubai Blue wrote:What is encouraging is that we are willing to shell out 500k on a player who I would suggest is a Pitman replacement rather than our main forward.
Here's the thing - who is our main forward?

Is it Sears, McGoldrick, absent Murphy or Pitman? I dunno.

Too early to tell if Garner is the Murphy replacement. Could be other strikers going out the door before other strikers are coming in. Or we will still be going after a main striker?

if Garner is confirmed - stands to reason we have to get behind him. However, he's had a career to the age of 29 of bouncing around clubs and getting some success here and there in the lower leagues, but nothing that suggests a player developing into a quality player. A bit stop-start. Could be that this move is the right one for him and us - it happens sometimes, but we won't know until he's had some game time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:22 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKo ... SXjJG--1ic

Welcome Joe!

Not sure what Butcher meant when he said JG can't header a ball! He looks to have many skills in his armoury as a striker.

Just need that creative midfielder to give him the ball in the box.

Local press now saying fee closer to £1m than £500k.........

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKo ... SXjJG--1ic

Welcome Joe!

Not sure what Butcher meant when he said JG can't header a ball! He looks to have many skills in his armoury as a striker.

Hmm im skeptical on this one. Nearly £1m on a player who has never made it in championship despite 3 or 4 chances and hes 29. Never got double figures in Championship either. Sums it up in 2 seasons for Preston in League 1 he scored over 50 goals then got 6 goals in 43 games next season in Championship! Maybe hes an insurance policy in case of relegation into League 1, he would be an asset if we did go down. I hope to be proven wrong on him if he does join (and I guess that depends on the terms we offer him).

As always would give him a chance to be successful, sometimes players flourish later in their careers

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Funny how things can work out season by season for players isn't I it.
Murphy career stats suggest that other than his one purple season he rarely got into double figures as a number 10, then he hits em in for fun in one season and his stock rose significantly. But he'll never get more than 10 or so goals in a season again now, I think .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 am

Was sat in a bar in Dubai last night watching the cricket and what do I see but a SkyBet advert with a wonder goal scored by ............... Joe Garner. Let's hope it's a good sign :-)

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:33 am

charlton837 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKo ... SXjJG--1ic

Welcome Joe!

Hmm im skeptical on this one. Nearly £1m on a player who has never made it in championship despite 3 or 4 chances and hes 29. Never got double figures in Championship either. Sums it up in 2 seasons for Preston in League 1 he scored over 50 goals then got 6 goals in 43 games next season in Championship! Maybe hes an insurance policy in case of relegation into League 1, he would be an asset if we did go down. I hope to be proven wrong on him if he does join (and I guess that depends on the terms we offer him).

As always would give him a chance to be successful, sometimes players flourish later in their careers
Based on his background, I'm sceptical, too. Whenever, he's gone up a level - he's been found out. On the other hand, he sounds like a feisty character - and that could be what we need.

Also, it really sounds as if MM is sticking his neck out for him. Maybe not first choice, but this appears to be wrapped up pretty early - so it looks as if he's a definite MM choice, rather than hanging around waiting for whoever is left. MM can then be judged on how good/sh*t he is over a reasonable period. Hope he's given a chance and does well.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 am

bluemike wrote:
TWTD understands Town are close to confirming the signing of Rangers striker Joe Garner.

Reports that the Blues were moving for the 29-year-old in a £500,000 deal first surfaced in Scotland last month and we understand the frontman is due at Portman Road on Monday to complete the formalities of his move, signing a three-year deal.

Garner moved to Ibrox from Preston for £1.4 million last summer, when Town were also interested, signing a three-year contract.

The former England U16, U17 and U19 international scored 10 goals in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances during 2016/17.

While Garner was reportedly not out of Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha’s plans, the Portuguese manager is said to be looking to wheel and deal as he rebuilds his squad during the close season.

Garner started his career with his hometown club Blackburn Rovers but was unable to break into the first team prior to moving on to Carlisle, initially on loan, then Nottingham Forest, Huddersfield (loan), Scunthorpe (loan), Watford and Carlisle for a further loan spell before joining Preston in 2013.

While with the Lilywhites the 5ft 10in tall frontman scored a 20-minute second-half hat-trick as the Lancastrians beat the Blues 3-2 in an FA Cup third round replay at Deepdale in January 2014.

The following season Garner won the League One Player of the Year award as he helped Preston into the Championship via the play-offs.
This has not happened then?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 am

I'm getting really confused now ...

another failed manager (Mark Lawrenson) has joined the fray and says we'll love Joe Garner.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-tow ... -1-5060707

Like most Town fans we can't think for ourselves and have opinions - so we need some clarity on this from managers (failed or successful).
I fear a Twitter war between Butcher and Lawro.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Won't be the first time we have had the wool pulled over our eyes

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Well I am not that keen on Lawrenson either but I know who's opinion I prefer, Lawro being a Preston fan has no doubt seen more of garner than most, that is good enough for me until I can form my own opinion.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:45 pm

bluemike wrote:Well I am not that keen on Lawrenson either but I know who's opinion I prefer, Lawro being a Preston fan has no doubt seen more of garner than most, that is good enough for me until I can form my own opinion.
Agreed Mike

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Garner signing confirmed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Celina basically done too so 3 decent signings already.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Not wishing to p*ss on the kids parade but say again can't see this as a solution to a problem. Ever since Murphy had that standout season a year or two back the team has struggled to make any impact in attacking departments and remains one area of the team that requires drastic improvement. Obviously we aren't going to be making multi-million pound deals with some of Europe's biggest names but looking at what we now possess (Sears, Pitman, McGoldrick, Moore, Garner) truth be told how effective can these players (even) be for the new season. Stuck in the f**king second tier for some 15 years now and large part of that being not having center forwards capable enough or showing anywhere near enough productivity.

That Murphy year apart we haven't possessed anyone reliable enough going back to Joe Royle's tenure to get us the goals in order to mount a prolonged challenge and what McCarthy's bringing in now will seem to change little.

Fair enough few players will want to sign up to a club that's been in hibernation for the best part of a decade and at times in near disarray, but Evans does possess the necessary funds to bring in something better, and all we're receiving is obscure names that few even recognize. All right we'll allow them their chance but not expecting any great difference from what's occurred the past nine months.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am

SJ I'm afraid I couldn't agree with you less :lol:

I don't believe that the system we are likely to be playing this season necessarily needs a Murphy replacement. I was interested in Lawrenson's assessment of Garner as a player who puts a lot of pressure on the defenders and creates scraps for other players to feed off.

And this lad Celoni looks like a top class signing. I really like the look of that.

Can't we enjoy the thought of Celoni, McGoldrick & Garner or Celoni, Garner & Sears without harking back to Murphy all the time?

I actually start to think that our forwards are looking okay in fact. I totally disagree with you and think that Garner will go straight into the starting line-up. Moore has been bought as an investment and will be getting a great deal of coaching, if he progresses we might see more of him this season (and maybe he could be thought of as backup for Garner) but I'm thinking that the plan is for Garner & McGoldrick.

This leaves Sears as backup for McG and of course we also think of Rowe as backup for Celoni (Rowe being an investment case that already looks the part).

IMO it would be nice to tie up a deal with Huws or another equivalent and maybe another CB.

Finally I am starting to think that there might be a chance of more money being spent this Summer - it looks to me like Evans is in the mood to throw some more money at the problem. I'm pretty sure that the Celoni deal should be thought of as a £1m+ deal.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am

Agreed with you DB......am keeping fingers crossed on Evans funding suggestion too. About bloody time if true.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:53 am

I agree with DB to a point at this stage.

I don't think we should even mention Moore, though.

He is what he is ... a player that was surplus to Forest Green Rovers. TC couldn't do anything with Nouble and quite a few others, so I think he's an inexpensive gamble that will not come off.

I'm not greatly excited about Garner, but he sounds like he's got a bit of mongrel about him. Don't think that's a bad thing at all. Could be a fan favourite or a million pound flop. I'm hoping for the former.

A decent CM is really what we need. Someone who can control midfield, someone who can look up and spot a forward pass and weigh in with some goals. I want Huws signed, but I still think we need another decent CM. Wouldn't mind getting rid of Hyam as well as Bru, Douglas to free up the deadwood in the squad.

Can see another CB coming in too.... and I'm hoping it's not Taylor ( far too injury prone).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

Completely agree DB, How nice it would be if we could focus on some positives for a bloody change, Ok there may not have been a lot of them in recent times but let's move forward, how many more f**king posts am I going to have to read about Mick staying, Murphy not replaced and we don't take the cups seriously! I think we are all more than aware of that but it's gone, there are signs that things could be improving, early days yes but let's embrace it instead of bringing everything down all the time, town fans played a big part in making last season what it was so let's not do it again this coming season.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:31 am

Could well be a great signing just hope he is given a fair crack of the whip before the knives comeback out. Would also like to see Mick more positive especially at home.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:51 am

The only thing I liked about Lafferty was that he was ostracised by NCFC and was an annoying burden on their wage bill. We wouldn't make the same mistake by bringing him in on good wages would we?

Can only see this as agent/paper talk. Doesn't fit the mould of Mick's 'great around the training ground' philosophy.

Does OK for NI, but so would others if you're just concentrating on 5-6 games in a year.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 pm

bluemike wrote:Completely agree DB, How nice it would be if we could focus on some positives for a bloody change, Ok there may not have been a lot of them in recent times but let's move forward, how many more f**king posts am I going to have to read about Mick staying, Murphy not replaced and we don't take the cups seriously! I think we are all more than aware of that but it's gone, there are signs that things could be improving, early days yes but let's embrace it instead of bringing everything down all the time, town fans played a big part in making last season what it was so let's not do it again this coming season.
And you never posted any of those??

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 pm

Back on subject. I have a friend who is a celtic fan. He said joe was that bad even celtic had a song for him!! Anyway let us be the judge of that and give him a warm welcome.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Oh and maybe if it does come off we should welcome kyle judging on your earlier post?? Or will he always be a c*ck?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:14 am

Everybody posts it sometimes yes but every bloody post gets tedious, even when it is announced MM is staying there still seems to be reluctance to take it in.

Lafferty is a different thing all together, He's been a arsehole off the pitch more than once and does bugger all on it, that is not the type of potentially disruptive influence we need here so yes for me, and many others I might add, he will always be a c*ck.