Squad taking shape very nicely.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Squad taking shape very nicely.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

With confirmation due anytime soon on the signings of Celina & Adeyemi I think the squad is taking shape very nicely indeed, Five potentially good solid signings already in the bag is pleasing and looking at it I think we are just another striker and a versatile defender short from where we need to be, I am actually starting to feel very positive for the coming season, money is clearly being spent with Million pound deals for Garner & Huws, not to mention the obvious hefty wages they and Adeyemi will be wanting, just get these other 2/3 in and play the right way and we will be in a much better place.

Keepers - Bialkowski, Gerken, Crowe

Defenders - Webster, Chambers, Smith, Taylor, Spence, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Knudsen

Wide Midfield - Celina, Rowe, Ward,

Central Midfield - Skuse, Huws, Adeyemi, Bishop, Dozzell, Hyam, Bru

Strikers - McGoldrick, Garner, Sears, Pitman, Moore

With the likliehood of Bru and possibly Pitman departing and Moore going on loan we are a couple light in terms of normal squad size, maybe even another wide player would not go amiss either. Add to that youngsters like Nydam & Downes forging their way into the first team squad and things look promising.

Ohiotractorboy

Re: Squad taking shape very nicely.

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:59 pm

I am waiting for the punch line here...this is way too positive of a post.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:10 pm

You're on the wrong forum OB.... this isn't an Ipswich Forum anymore. This is the Deludeds Forum.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:54 pm

The Deludeds? They sound like bad guys in a Star Wars movie.

"The force is strong with these people."
"They're Deludeds, Lord Vader..... they're f**king nuts!"

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 pm

The big question is if this squad would be strong enough to challenge for promotion as this is all about getting out of this poxy, horrible league.

Midfield has been an issue for a long while due to McCarthys defensive mindset.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:43 am

TAYLOR? When did he sign?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:47 am

He's training with us atm with a view to a contract if he proves his fitness

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:31 am

marko69 wrote:The Deludeds? They sound like bad guys in a Star Wars movie.

"The force is strong with these people."
"They're Deludeds, Lord Vader..... they're f**king nuts!"

aw shuddauppa yer face :lol: :wink: x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:31 am

Looking at the squad as it currently stands lends itself to a fair few different options and formations, there is still the chance of at least 1 or 2 more new arrivals but from what we have at present what would everybody line up with against Birmingham on August 5th ? This would probably be my side ;-

........................Bart.........................

Spence.....Chambo....Webster....Kenlock

......................Skuse........................

........Huws......Adeyemi.....Celina........

................Didsy..........Garner..............

SUBS :- Gerken, Smith, Knudsen, Ward, Sears, Rowe, Bishop

It certainly looks so much stronger that last season for sure, especially the Midfield with several decent options unable to get in the team or even the bench.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 am

Hopefully there is at least one strong friendly to give Mick some insight into the line up v Brummers.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 am

marko69 wrote:Hopefully there is at least one strong friendly to give Mick some insight into the line up v Brummers.
I think it's one of Mick' s failings that he doesn't do strong friendlies.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:06 pm

bluemike wrote:Looking at the squad as it currently stands lends itself to a fair few different options and formations, there is still the chance of at least 1 or 2 more new arrivals but from what we have at present what would everybody line up with against Birmingham on August 5th ? This would probably be my side ;-

It certainly looks so much stronger that last season for sure, especially the Midfield with several decent options unable to get in the team or even the bench.
I like the look of that team, unfortunately Mike it is far too attacking for boring MM.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:46 pm

I do too Derick, I just cant see MM signing these players and not playing them, I have a feeling we will see a far more attacking approach this time around.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:05 pm

bluemike wrote:Looking at the squad as it currently stands lends itself to a fair few different options and formations, there is still the chance of at least 1 or 2 more new arrivals but from what we have at present what would everybody line up with against Birmingham on August 5th ? This would probably be my side ;-

You may be right about it being stronger. However the back 6 were all here last season although of course Webster missed most of it.

Your front 5 contains 3 I've never seen play so I can't comment. I'm reluctant to think new signings are an improvement until I've seen them. By reputation Garner is physical and energetic but not a regular goal scorer. We might need that attacking midfield if we are to score regularly. I still think it's a shame that Skuse will play for the simple reason that that we don't have or seek a better option.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:00 am

Whats the possibility that Mick goes for a back 5 - maybe to accommodate Webster, Chambers and Taylor/Smith/Knudsen at CB?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 am

Whats the possibility that Mick goes for a back 5 - maybe to accommodate Webster, Chambers and Taylor/Smith/Knudsen at CB?

We've used this formation in the latter half of the season. Would really be some competition for places in midfield area.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:27 am

were all going to be fuming when we line up with a midfield of Hyam, Skuse, Huws (with Ward and Celina on wings) with Adeyemi on bench. Whilst the wings look OK we do need to make sure we control that middle with the ball rather than just workmanlike play all the time. We now have a squad which can play a bit in the middle in my opinion. I also wouldn't sign Samuel, I don't see much in him, he looked invisible to me in the games I saw him in, but granted that wasn't much. Based on current squad I would actually go 4-4-2 and play the following;

Bart

Kenlock
Webster
Chambers
Spence

Ward/New winger
Huws
Adeyemi
Celina

McGoldrick
Garner

However I think we will certainly fit Skuse into that team so i imagine Adeyemi may not be a starter straight away, if he played all of them he would probably need to drop one or McGoldrick or Garner. At least there are some options i guess, more depth than last season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 am

Andym wrote:

You may be right about it being stronger. However the back 6 were all here last season although of course Webster missed most of it.

Your front 5 contains 3 I've never seen play so I can't comment. I'm reluctant to think new signings are an improvement until I've seen them. By reputation Garner is physical and energetic but not a regular goal scorer. We might need that attacking midfield if we are to score regularly. I still think it's a shame that Skuse will play for the simple reason that that we don't have or seek a better option.

Emyr Huws has played a lot of his football as a defensive midfield player and scored a few goals whilst in that role. Maybe he will be Skuse's replacement and bring in another wide player or play Ward and hope he makes the grade.?

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 pm

charlton837 wrote:were all going to be fuming when we line up with a midfield of Hyam, Skuse, Huws (with Ward and Celina on wings) with Adeyemi on bench. Whilst the wings look OK we do need to make sure we control that middle with the ball rather than just workmanlike play all the time. We now have a squad which can play a bit in the middle in my opinion. I also wouldn't sign Samuel, I don't see much in him, he looked invisible to me in the games I saw him in, but granted that wasn't much. Based on current squad I would actually go 4-4-2 and play the following;

Bart

Kenlock
Webster
Chambers
Spence

Ward/New winger
Huws
Adeyemi
Celina

McGoldrick
Garner

However I think we will certainly fit Skuse into that team so i imagine Adeyemi may not be a starter straight away, if he played all of them he would probably need to drop one or McGoldrick or Garner. At least there are some options i guess, more depth than last season
Sticking with a 4-4-2 and say we don't get anyone else in then I'd add Bishop into the central 4. I really hope that he puts last seasons difficulties behind him and kicks on this year. I still think there's a chance he could go on to be a very good player - I hope for ITFC and Bish himself, that this is the season! Good luck son.

p.s. The reset button get pressed for every club in August. I'm really looking forward to the coming season - so COYB

p.ps. Oh Ber_sant Ce_lina fits nicely to seven nation army chant....................just sayin'

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Andym wrote:

Emyr Huws has played a lot of his football as a defensive midfield player and scored a few goals whilst in that role. Maybe he will be Skuse's replacement and bring in another wide player or play Ward and hope he makes the grade.?
I may be wrong, but I see Huws more as an attacking midfielder. He's got bags of energy, and judging by his Town performances it seems like he likes to get forward.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:57 pm

More likely to be Tom Adeymi - described by a previous manager as 'a box to box midfielder, who can both attack and defend'. However, I think MM's on record as saying that he doesn't want to use him in a holding midfield role - so unless MM decides to set up without one, and unless we bring in an alternative, Skuse will almost certainly continue. No indication that Skuse wants to leave, or that MM wants him to. Higher priorities for further refinforcements.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Skuse will play when fit it's as simple as that, as far as I am concerned so he should too, he is the best defensive midfielder at the club by some distance and if anyone would play a team containing 2 strikers and Huws, Adeyemi and Celina with no defensive holding player they are quite simply nuts.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:34 pm

bluemike wrote:Skuse will play when fit it's as simple as that, as far as I am concerned so he should too, he is the best defensive midfielder at the club by some distance and if anyone would play a team containing 2 strikers and Huws, Adeyemi and Celina with no defensive holding player they are quite simply nuts.
I agree - but only because Skuse is the ONLY defensive midfielder in the club (apart from Hyam - see below). We desperately need someone who does what he does but also looks for the ball when the back 4 have it. And preferably someone who has a bit of pace.

Hyam does actually move to receive the ball. Unfortunately when he gets it he usually plays a one-two back to the defender, playing him into trouble. And he commits some very nasty tackles. He will never be a Championship player because of these faults. But I never see Skuse as one either as when we are in possession he is invisible. Replacing him would be my top priority now.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:19 pm

I think all recognise Skuse's limitations; perhaps, like others in the squad, more prominent in a struggling team. But there's a danger that, for some, he becomes the lightning rod for poor performances, team selections and tactics. That's probably unfair.

Assuming he retains his place, and with (hopefully) a much improved and effective midfield, and with more quality still to come, his performance and that of the whole team will improve.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm

herforder wrote:Assuming he retains his place, and with (hopefully) a much improved and effective midfield, and with more quality still to come, his performance and that of the whole team will improve.
Or...... or....... he'll be found out as being Shyte.

Not stirring the pot, promise you of that..... but we have two incredibly well respected supporters in Bluemike & Mach Polish Blue, both with footballs for brains and blue blood running through their veins...... yet are close to having opinions that are almost polar opposites regarding Cole Skuse. I actually find that fascinating.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Machs wrong lmfao

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:56 pm

:lol:

Seriously though..., debates in the past over certain players at Hibs, (remembering Brian Hamilton vividly) and the general consensus was that he was absolute pap, but there were people who defended him, a cousin of mine being one of them. Remember my buddy once saying to him,....... "Are you always at the pie stall when Hamilton is making a c**t of it?" :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Andym wrote:
bluemike wrote:Skuse will play when fit it's as simple as that, as far as I am concerned so he should too, he is the best defensive midfielder at the club by some distance and if anyone would play a team containing 2 strikers and Huws, Adeyemi and Celina with no defensive holding player they are quite simply nuts.
I agree - but only because Skuse is the ONLY defensive midfielder in the club (apart from Hyam - see below). We desperately need someone who does what he does but also looks for the ball when the back 4 have it. And preferably someone who has a bit of pace.

Hyam does actually move to receive the ball. Unfortunately when he gets it he usually plays a one-two back to the defender, playing him into trouble. And he commits some very nasty tackles. He will never be a Championship player because of these faults. But I never see Skuse as one either as when we are in possession he is invisible. Replacing him would be my top priority now.

I still think Emyr Huws could ultimately be Skuse's replacement, when I read about him he models himself on Barcelona's Sergio Busquets who he considers to be the best defensive midfield player in the world. If he can partly achieve that surely it would be good enough to replace Skuse.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm

If he plays like Busquets, that'd be "Nice"....., Nice Busquets.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 am

marko69 wrote:
herforder wrote:Assuming he retains his place, and with (hopefully) a much improved and effective midfield, and with more quality still to come, his performance and that of the whole team will improve.
Or...... or....... he'll be found out as being Shyte.

Not stirring the pot, promise you of that..... but we have two incredibly well respected supporters in Bluemike & Mach Polish Blue, both with footballs for brains and blue blood running through their veins...... yet are close to having opinions that are almost polar opposites regarding Cole Skuse. I actually find that fascinating.
I think there are two reasons for the different opinions. One is that, in his favour, he does a lot of the unseen, unglsmorous work. But the main reason is, i think, down to your viewpoint; what he does, he does quite well - ntercepting and blocking. But it's what he doesn't do that makes some of us critical.