Tom Lawrence to Derby for a deal worth £10 millon

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Tom Lawrence to Derby for a deal worth £10 millon

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I see that the Evening Star are reporting Lawrence is on verge of signing for Derby for £10m, if true this would make me question the player somewhat. Surely there is a premier league team willing to take him on, a newly promoted team could do a lot worse! But I can only think this may come down to money, we all know Derby splash the cash (when will this end!? it cant continue forever).

Proven at this level and in a good team could prove to be a very good signing, £10m is a lot in the Championship though. Will be interesting to see if this goes through. Cant blame the club for us not getting him, we just could not be paying that sort of money, plus his wages would be well out of our reach you would think

arana peligrosa

Re: Tom Lawrence to Derby for a deal worth £10 millon

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Remain skeptical of any news publication that purports a transfer until something actually materializes but if ten million proves an actual figure then it seems a good deal. Did well here albeit in short time but in so many words his talents could be used to better effect elsewhere.

As mentioned an eight figure sum in the championship league represents a tidy sum but how quickly would the money even be utilized or who would the manager even consider bringing in (for squad strengthening)

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 pm

saint jude wrote:Remain skeptical of any news publication that purports a transfer until something actually materializes but if ten million proves an actual figure then it seems a good deal. Did well here albeit in short time but in so many words his talents could be used to better effect elsewhere.

As mentioned an eight figure sum in the championship league represents a tidy sum but how quickly would the money even be utilized or who would the manager even consider bringing in (for squad strengthening)
he was only on loan here, he is a Leicester player so we wont be getting a penny of the deal. We paid a loan fee to have him here for the season last time round.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:09 am

Who's Tom Lawrence ?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:40 pm

FFP ? that would be close to their budget surely

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:59 pm

It now looks likely this deal will go through in the next few days following Derby's increased offer to circa £8m. Anything less than 3 points tomorrow night and they could be digging into their pockets even deeper.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:FFP ? that would be close to their budget surely
You are f**king right! I tipped them to win the league. I hope they get feckin relegated, the bstds.

'Mon the Forest!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:50 am

If Derby County are really prepared to pay an eight figure sum for the player then what they do is their business. Is the kid worth 10 million ?, f*ck knows, he was only with us for one loan season and as mentioned this club stands to make no proceeds on the sale regardless of expense.

From what I could ascertain, reliable player, a useful squad member, but nothing exceptional. Most likely not worth the figures thrown around but once again, it's just about out of our hands now.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:47 pm

saint jude wrote:If Derby County are really prepared to pay an eight figure sum for the player then what they do is their business. Is the kid worth 10 million ?, f*ck knows, he was only with us for one loan season and as mentioned this club stands to make no proceeds on the sale regardless of expense.

From what I could ascertain, reliable player, a useful squad member, but nothing exceptional. Most likely not worth the figures thrown around but once again, it's just about out of our hands now.

Id say he was fairly special for us SJ. Much more than a squad player. Is he worth £8m? Looking at the fees being banded about for average players id say yes he probably is worth that. We could never afford him, we always knew that. Thought he would get a lower prem team this time. Could be a good signing for derby but they don't seem to get the best out of good players looking at the last few years

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Without him we would have gone down, fact. A squad player ? LOL.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:Who's Tom Lawrence ?
:cry: he's the one player that we should brought back, tight arse ME

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Looks like Derby got him cheaper than first thought. An excellent player who would have been a great to have had at Portman Road even though we seem to be doing ok without him.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:19 am

ashfordblue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:Who's Tom Lawrence ?
:cry: he's the one player that we should brought back, tight arse ME
Whilst I would have loved to get him back £7m is still alot of money. There is an argument that he has good resale value so if he had a couple of good seasons that value could be more like £15m (look at assombolonga) but its still a risk. Plus we don't know his wages (20k a week maybe). I don't think the club would want to risk upsetting the applecart by pumping too much money into one player and upsetting the rest.

Add to the above we don't even know if he would have wanted to come back, the season he was here wasn't exactly enjoyable

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 am

We were virtually a one man team with Lawrence who was never ever going to be ours, much happier with what we have signed now to be honest.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

bluemike wrote:We were virtually a one man team with Lawrence who was never ever going to be ours, much happier with what we have signed now to be honest.
Agreed although replace Celina with Lawrence and that would have been an amazing summers work in terms of attacking threat. But I wouldn't have put signing Lawrence and him alone ahead of everything else. Im not blaming the club for not trying to get him, clearly he was out of our price budget.

Just on this occasion I feel he has a re-sale value and it would have been a calculated risk if we did it, but if in doing that it meant there was nothing left to sign anyone else then clearly we made the right decision

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:12 am

When fit Celina will be equally as effective for us, the guy looks good, just carrying this bloody virus.