Dominic Iorfa

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Dominic Iorfa

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Town have announced the signing of Wolverhampton Wanderers right-back Dominic Iorfa on loan for the season.

The 22-year-old England U21 international underwent a medical at Portman Road this afternoon before tying up the formalities relating to his move.

"I'm happy to be here because Ipswich is a good club," Iorfa told iFollow Ipswich.

"I spoke to the manager a few days ago and he told me about the plans for the season; he really sold it to me.

"The moment I spoke to him, I couldn't wait to get here and get started. He basically just told me that he wanted to get me on board, and he told me what positions he plans to use me in.

"I can play right-back and centre-half as well. He's confident that we can have a good season and push for the play-offs.

"He's assembled a good squad and I think things are looking promising for the club."

Manager Mick McCarthy added: “I’m thrilled to have got Dominic. He is very athletic, has got great pace and can play at centre-half as well as right-back and is equally good in both roles.

“With the defenders we already have here in the squad and with Dominic coming in, we have really good options in that area.”

Southend-born Iorfa began his career with his hometown club but left the Shrimpers for Wolves - then managed by McCarthy - aged only 15.

The 6ft 4in tall full-back, who can also operate at centre-half, spent time on loan at Shrewsbury in the 2013/14 season before breaking into the first team at Molineux midway through the following campaign.

Capped by England at U18 and U20 level in addition to his 13 games for the U21s, Iorfa has made 91 starts and two sub appearances for Wolves, so far without scoring a senior goal.

Despite having been a regular throughout last season and featuring for the England U21s at this summer's European Championships, Iorfa, who is contracted until the summer of 2019, was left out of the Wolves squad which travelled to Austria for a pre-season training camp earlier this week.

Earlier in the summer, Derby were claimed to be eyeing a move with Iorfa, who was said to be valued at £4 million, while more recently Leeds have been linked.

Iorfa's father, also Dominic, is a former international winger with Nigeria. At club level he had spells with QPR, Peterborough and Southend among many others.

Town have been on the lookout for another right-back to compete with Jordan Spence having allowed Josh Emmanuel to join Rotherham on loan earlier in the week in order to gain first-team experience.

Regarding Emmanuel, McCarthy added: “Josh needs to be playing first-team games every week and hopefully he will do that at Rotherham.

“He will gain a lot from the experience and come back to us a better player for it.” 

On Tuesday former Millwall right-back Shaun Cummings played in the friendly against Southend but the signing of Iorfa is likely to end the Blues' interest in the one-time Reading defender.

The addition of another player who can play as a right-sided centre-half, joining skipper Luke Chambers and Adam Webster in the squad, could have some bearing on Steven Taylor's future at Town.

The former Newcastle man is currently training with the Blues with a view to winning a contract having been on a short-term deal last season.

Meanwhile, the Royals have confirmed the signing of Town target Jon Dadi Bodvarsson from Wolves on a three-year deal.

Well happy with this.

goldandblack

Re: Dominic Iorfa

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:01 pm

bluemike wrote:
Manager Mick McCarthy added: “I’m thrilled to have got Dominic. He is very athletic, has got great pace and can play at centre-half as well as right-back and is equally good in both roles.

“With the defenders we already have here in the squad and with Dominic coming in, we have really good options in that area.”

Southend-born Iorfa began his career with his hometown club but left the Shrimpers for Wolves - then managed by McCarthy - aged only 15.

Well happy with this.

Quality player Mike, but more of an athlete than a footballer as you will see, but Mick will sort that side of the game for him, its just what Iorfa needs right now, good signing,

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... nic-iorfa/

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 am

The kid could be a useful addition, another area of the side showing improvement and would hope can settle in quickly and contribute towards team endeavors. Maybe when time's up the loan could work into a permanent move but one thing at a time. Would hope all our most recent acquisitions adapt to their new surroundings quickly and efficiently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:00 am

goldandblack wrote:
bluemike wrote:

Well happy with this.

Quality player Mike, but more of an athlete than a footballer as you will see, but Mick will sort that side of the game for him, its just what Iorfa needs right now, good signing,

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... nic-iorfa/
Yes mate I think it is a very good signing, clearly you know more of him that we do but reading up on him he seems very well thought of (apart from the big spending new owners at Wolves LOL) Wolves fans seem to think we have a very good player, a player that gives us options at RB, a position that has been our nemesis for years, he can also play CB which again gives us cover and options, sounds like he is very pacy, to get a defender in who is rated at 4 or 5 Million has to be applauded.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:34 pm

I think he'll be a very good squad filler for this season while Emmanuel is off with Rotherham for the year. Although maybe if Emmanuel doesn't impress in League One, then perhaps Mick might consider signing Iorfa permanently next summer if he does well.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:28 am

J4ck22 wrote:I think he'll be a very good squad filler for this season while Emmanuel is off with Rotherham for the year. Although maybe if Emmanuel doesn't impress in League One, then perhaps Mick might consider signing Iorfa permanently next summer if he does well.
Mick won't be here next Summer .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 am

I dont see Iorfa as a squad filler, I see him potentially as first choice RB as the season progresses.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

With Emanuell going out on loan and Iorfa coming in, that's a good thing. He's a couple of years ahead of JE and still young.

Up to JE to get game time and prove he can come back here and win a place the following season.

Hoping that Iorfa coming here means Taylor will be packed off. Too injury-prone and we should have cover in defence. Concentrate on getting a striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 am

Yes I agree, with Iorfa able to play CB too I think Taylor becomes excess baggage we can do without. A new striker will definitely be coming in, it is the final piece and just has to happen

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:27 pm

bluemike wrote:I dont see Iorfa as a squad filler, I see him potentially as first choice RB as the season progresses.
I don't know much about him, so if he's better than Spence then even better!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Iorfa sound like he could be a centre forward at 6'4" very athletic let's......... convert him