Definitely One to watch - Flynn Downes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Definitely One to watch - Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Midfielder Flynn Downes has signed a new contract with the Blues which runs to the summer of 2020.

The 18-year-old only put pen to paper on his first pro deal with the club at the end of last month - a one-year contract with an option for a further season - but has greatly impressed manager Mick McCarthy in pre-season.

The Brentwood-born academy product began to break into the first-team squad at the end of last season and he was included as a sub for the final game at Nottingham Forest, although without making it on to the field.

“All-round, technically he’s a really good footballer, he’s athletic, he puts his foot in, he’ll compete, he’s a real competitor and he’s a winner on the pitch," McCarthy said after the Forest match.

“He comes over and he shows no respect for the first team, he comes and dumps them on their backsides if they need dumping on their backsides. I love that about him."

Speaking after the 5-0 friendly win at Drogheda recently, he added: "I really do like Flynn Downes, I think he’ll contribute this season."

Last night the Town boss described Downes's performance at Peterborough as "excellent".

Former Blues midfielder Kieron Dyer, recently appointed the club's assistant U16s coach, worked with Downes during his previous stint coaching in the academy and is a big fan.

“Flynn, two years ago he was in my U16s, again he had great potential but was a bit behind Andre [Dozzell] and Tristan [Nydam] at the time," he told TWTD at the weekend.

“But he’s come on leaps and bounds. In pre-season I hear he’s been absolutely flying, winning all the long distance races, he was ahead on all the running stats and in training in Ireland I heard he was outstanding, which is good for him and he’s another one to look out for."
I've heard and read nothing but good things about this lad, he seems to be the one bursting through at speed, it is no coincidence they have offered a better and longer deal just weeks after he already signed a contract, I think they know he is a "good 'Un". I really hope we see another couple of kids breakthrough this season following the success of Kenlock & Emmanuel and with Downes, Dozzell, Nydam and Morris to name but Four the academy looks to be working.

K L Blue

Re: Definitely One to watch - Flynn Downes

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:15 pm

bluemike wrote:
Midfielder Flynn Downes has signed a new contract with the Blues which runs to the summer of 2020.

The 18-year-old only put pen to paper on his first pro deal with the club at the end of last month - a one-year contract with an option for a further season - but has greatly impressed manager Mick McCarthy in pre-season.

The Brentwood-born academy product began to break into the first-team squad at the end of last season and he was included as a sub for the final game at Nottingham Forest, although without making it on to the field.

“All-round, technically he’s a really good footballer, he’s athletic, he puts his foot in, he’ll compete, he’s a real competitor and he’s a winner on the pitch," McCarthy said after the Forest match.

“He comes over and he shows no respect for the first team, he comes and dumps them on their backsides if they need dumping on their backsides. I love that about him."

Speaking after the 5-0 friendly win at Drogheda recently, he added: "I really do like Flynn Downes, I think he’ll contribute this season."

Last night the Town boss described Downes's performance at Peterborough as "excellent".

Hopefully will get to see some of the youngsters on Tuesday, as the U23's are playing in Kings Lynn

Former Blues midfielder Kieron Dyer, recently appointed the club's assistant U16s coach, worked with Downes during his previous stint coaching in the academy and is a big fan.

“Flynn, two years ago he was in my U16s, again he had great potential but was a bit behind Andre [Dozzell] and Tristan [Nydam] at the time," he told TWTD at the weekend.

“But he’s come on leaps and bounds. In pre-season I hear he’s been absolutely flying, winning all the long distance races, he was ahead on all the running stats and in training in Ireland I heard he was outstanding, which is good for him and he’s another one to look out for."
I've heard and read nothing but good things about this lad, he seems to be the one bursting through at speed, it is no coincidence they have offered a better and longer deal just weeks after he already signed a contract, I think they know he is a "good 'Un". I really hope we see another couple of kids breakthrough this season following the success of Kenlock & Emmanuel and with Downes, Dozzell, Nydam and Morris to name but Four the academy looks to be working.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I seen his name a few days ago after reading the below article .....

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/high-hopes- ... -1-5100256

Hopefully McCarthy curbs the obvious anger at the Benyu exit and concentrates on bringing on these youngsters. Downes certainly sounds very promising indeed. The most promising in my opinion.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Bishop, Dozzell, Downes Town's future midfield. All from our academy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:33 pm

And hopefully not for the Arsenal bench.