New striker likely to be a loanee...it's utterly ridiculous

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mach_Polish_Blue

New striker likely to be a loanee...it's utterly ridiculous

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Despite being owned by a very wealthy person we still 'cannot compete' financially with others. How on earth are we going to progress then?

Murphy having been sold almost a year ago yet we still struggle to replace him because our loathsome owner refuses to spend money.

2-3 years ago people had been using FFP as an excuse for Evans not spending money. FFP is somehow no longer mentioned, strange eh? Wonder why.

number 9

Re: New striker likely to be a loanee...it's utterly ridiculous

Post by number 9 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 pm

With the current transfer fees, there's no way in hell we'll be able to compete for top players. I am hoping MM will be able to construct a competitive 'Team' this season with what we have.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:26 pm

I have no problem at all if it is a loan as long as it is a season long loan with no recall, lets face it Fraser & Lawrence were hardly disasters and early indications are that Iorfa & Celina will be good business too. We have to realise just where we are now and as Number 9 says no way can we compete with ridiculous transfer fees that others are throwing around, it's obscene and personally I am glad we are not following suit, however we do need to find a good striker whatever the deal may be.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:29 am

Woolfswinkle is a lesson learnt.
We shouldn't follow the idiotic Champs clubs spending millions.
Fingers X that Mick can get a loan striker with something to prove.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am

I would prefer to sign someone permanently if it were possible as im always dubious about having too many loanees, it can have a negative effect and when things are not going that well these players know they don't have to hang around once the loan period finishes, its too cushty for them. However that being said what sort of player could we afford to buy as a striker? Id say to get the sort of standard we as fans want it would take 5-10million, and that just isn't going to happen.

Parachute payments are ruining this league in my opinion, it all stems from the crazy sums being paid by TV for the rights to show the premier league, however when clubs come down they have so much financial clout that others who have ambitions in the championship try to also flash the cash to a slightly lesser extent just to try and compete. I think Mick is right when he says its unsustainable (for clubs who do not have parachute payments), but the risk is much less for those that do. Not only that but if you have a half decent player when you come down you can sell them for quite a lot of money now. I think its got to the point where something radical needs to be done in order to keep football in this country competitive, we are heading towards a prem 1, prem 2 type scenario if things don't change soon, as the same teams will keep coming up and down