Charlton V Town - Last pre season game.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Charlton V Town - Last pre season game.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 am

Central midfield pair Andre Dozzell and Cole Skuse return to the Town squad for Saturday’s final pre-season friendly against League One Charlton at the Valley (KO 3pm).

Dozzell, 18, played the first half of Tuesday’s U23s 4-3 defeat at King’s Lynn having suffered a hip injury while with the victorious England U19s at the European Championships in Georgia.

Skuse, 31, has been unwell and missed the Gillingham and Colchester games as a result but was back training at yesterday’s open day, although still feeling the effects of his illness.
Close Ad

Still absent are four other central midfielders, Emyr Huws (achilles), Tom Adeyemi (ill), Teddy Bishop (groin) and Luke Hyam (ankle), while winger Bersant Celina has suffered a recurrence of his earlier illness and also won’t make the trip to South London.

Adeyemi has missed all of pre-season but McCarthy is hopeful the summer signing will get up to speed quickly as he recovers.

“Tom’s really struggled with it, it’s just knocked him off his feet, which wouldn’t be easy given the size of him,” the Blues boss said yesterday.

“But he’s a great athlete, there’ll be a couple of weeks and he’ll be fine. As soon as he comes back I think it’ll only take him a couple of weeks before he’s back.”

McCarthy says he’s not sure when Huws will be available: “I can’t tell you exactly because it’s his achilles and they grumble on, so that’s got to be perfect before he comes back.”

Bishop is understood to be likely to return to training next week, although McCarthy was more cautious: “He’s hurt his groin, I couldn’t give you a timeframe on that at all.”

The Town boss was hopeful it wouldn't be too long before Hyam was back in action as he continues his recovery from the injury which ended his 2016/17.

As has been the case throughout pre-season, youngsters Flynn Downes, Tristan Nydam and Conor McKendry will be among the 21 players travelling.

McCarthy says his starting XI against the Addicks will be nearer to the team which lines up against Birmingham on the opening day of the season next Saturday than has been the case in previous friendlies.

“There will be some who are not going to play, George Fowler’s not going to play at right-back, put it that way,” the Blues boss added.

“It’s going to be more the first team squad, the first team squad will be playing and will be subs and I’ll pick the bones out of it for Birmingham here.”

The Charlton squad includes former Blues striker Billy Clarke, who came through Town’s Playford Road academy and was a member of the squad which won the 2005 FA Youth Cup, although injury forced the 29-year-old, who joined the Addicks from Bradford over the summer, out of both legs of the final.

Ex-Town midfielder Lee Bowyer is now the assistant manager back at his first club while Jake Forster-Caskey is the stepson of former Blues frontman Nicky Forster.

Tickets are available via cash turnstiles at the match at £10 for adults and £5 for the over-65s, under-21s, under-18s, while there is a joint-under-18 and adult ticket for £11.

We should get some pointers today as to who will be lining up against Birmingham next saturday although our Midfield has been decimated already with Huws, Adeyemi, Bishop, Hyam, Skuse, Dozzell and now Celina all ill or injured, thankfully a couple return today but Huws is a concern while Adeyemi will need time to get match fit. The positive from this is that I want to see Downes in the starting line up next saturday so will be looking to see if he starts today.

I never really worry about pre season results but it's always good to win the last one so we go into next week on the back of a victory and in confident mood. Unfortunately I won't be going to this one as have an all day BBQ/Garden Party/ p*ss up/Orgy call it what you will, 4 guys 20 girls, couldn't say no really. COYB'S

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Charlton V Town - Last pre season game.

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 am

Ok, with all due respect buddy, I suddenly have no interest in the Charlton game....... but the 20 women gig??? Let's read a "pi$$ up review"!

Speaking of women, my lovely lesbian next door neighbours bought me a nice Rolex for helping them out with their heating. Nice, but I think they misunderstood when I had said, "I wanna watch!"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:40 am

LMAO Marko, it could well be the best report I ever do but I am concerned that tomorrow may well be a total write off where I am concerned, hangover from hell looming me thinks.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:58 am

bluemike wrote:
Central midfield pair Andre Dozzell and Cole Skuse return to the Town squad for Saturday’s final pre-season friendly against League One Charlton at the Valley (KO 3pm).

Dozzell, 18, played the first half of Tuesday’s U23s 4-3 defeat at King’s Lynn having suffered a hip injury while with the victorious England U19s at the European Championships in Georgia.

Skuse, 31, has been unwell and missed the Gillingham and Colchester games as a result but was back training at yesterday’s open day, although still feeling the effects of his illness.
Close Ad

Still absent are four other central midfielders, Emyr Huws (achilles), Tom Adeyemi (ill), Teddy Bishop (groin) and Luke Hyam (ankle), while winger Bersant Celina has suffered a recurrence of his earlier illness and also won’t make the trip to South London.

Adeyemi has missed all of pre-season but McCarthy is hopeful the summer signing will get up to speed quickly as he recovers.

“Tom’s really struggled with it, it’s just knocked him off his feet, which wouldn’t be easy given the size of him,” the Blues boss said yesterday.

“But he’s a great athlete, there’ll be a couple of weeks and he’ll be fine. As soon as he comes back I think it’ll only take him a couple of weeks before he’s back.”

McCarthy says he’s not sure when Huws will be available: “I can’t tell you exactly because it’s his achilles and they grumble on, so that’s got to be perfect before he comes back.”

Bishop is understood to be likely to return to training next week, although McCarthy was more cautious: “He’s hurt his groin, I couldn’t give you a timeframe on that at all.”

The Town boss was hopeful it wouldn't be too long before Hyam was back in action as he continues his recovery from the injury which ended his 2016/17.

As has been the case throughout pre-season, youngsters Flynn Downes, Tristan Nydam and Conor McKendry will be among the 21 players travelling.

McCarthy says his starting XI against the Addicks will be nearer to the team which lines up against Birmingham on the opening day of the season next Saturday than has been the case in previous friendlies.

“There will be some who are not going to play, George Fowler’s not going to play at right-back, put it that way,” the Blues boss added.

“It’s going to be more the first team squad, the first team squad will be playing and will be subs and I’ll pick the bones out of it for Birmingham here.”

The Charlton squad includes former Blues striker Billy Clarke, who came through Town’s Playford Road academy and was a member of the squad which won the 2005 FA Youth Cup, although injury forced the 29-year-old, who joined the Addicks from Bradford over the summer, out of both legs of the final.

Ex-Town midfielder Lee Bowyer is now the assistant manager back at his first club while Jake Forster-Caskey is the stepson of former Blues frontman Nicky Forster.

Tickets are available via cash turnstiles at the match at £10 for adults and £5 for the over-65s, under-21s, under-18s, while there is a joint-under-18 and adult ticket for £11.

We should get some pointers today as to who will be lining up against Birmingham next saturday although our Midfield has been decimated already with Huws, Adeyemi, Bishop, Hyam, Skuse, Dozzell and now Celina all ill or injured, thankfully a couple return today but Huws is a concern while Adeyemi will need time to get match fit. The positive from this is that I want to see Downes in the starting line up next saturday so will be looking to see if he starts today.

I never really worry about pre season results but it's always good to win the last one so we go into next week on the back of a victory and in confident mood. Unfortunately I won't be going to this one as have an all day BBQ/Garden Party/ p*ss up/Orgy call it what you will, 4 guys 20 girls, couldn't say no really. COYB'S

Unfortunately so will Birmingham now. Well done MM.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am

Actually I don't think we will get those pointers. They are simply too many key players out with illness.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:19 am

But they will be out next week too and MM has already said today's line up will resemble the team for next week as much as it possibly can.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 am

From that perspective, yes, true it will be a pointer this afternoon. But as for the team selection going forward we will have a lot stronger first 11 than the one that runs out vs Birmingham. Which can only be good .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:30 am

Oh yeah for sure, thats why I said a pointer for Birmingham next week lmao.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:36 am

Right before I depart to get bladdered etc my team this afternoon would be

.......................Bart..........................

Iorfa.......Chambo.....Webster......Kenlock

Ward......Skuse......Downes......Rowe

...........Didsy........Garner...............

And that is what I would go with next week unless of course Celina, Huws and Adeyemi suddenly get fit.

The bench looks pretty solid too with Gerken, Smith, Spence, Knudsen, Bishop, Dozzell, Sears etc all available.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 am

Must admit I'm a bit concerned about Huws injury as Achilles injuries can be really troublesome sometimes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am

bluemike wrote:The bench looks pretty solid too with Gerken, Smith, Spence, Knudsen, Bishop, Dozzell, Sears etc all available.
You bladdered already? It's not even midday yet!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 pm

marko69 wrote:Ok, with all due respect buddy, I suddenly have no interest in the Charlton game....... but the 20 women gig??? Let's read a "pi$$ up review"!

Speaking of women, my lovely lesbian next door neighbours bought me a nice Rolex for helping them out with their heating. Nice, but I think they misunderstood when I had said, "I wanna watch!"
Brilliant!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
bluemike wrote:The bench looks pretty solid too with Gerken, Smith, Spence, Knudsen, Bishop, Dozzell, Sears etc all available.
You bladdered already? It's not even midday yet!!
Lmfao I have to support them all

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Didsy now out if today's game with illness.

Tbh it's a bit worrying how this virus is sweeping through the Club. It's been two weeks now and new cases are still happening. Players won't be at their best for the ko

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:Didsy now out if today's game with illness.

Tbh it's a bit worrying how this virus is sweeping through the Club. It's been two weeks now and new cases are still happening. Players won't be at their best for the ko
There goes my prediction of Town's first goalscorer in the prediction league for next week! :lol:

Was going to say I should have known better than choose a sick note but then we seem to have plenty of them. :cry:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:33 pm

3-0 after 37 min losing. Ffs

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:37 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:3-0 after 37 min losing. Ffs
Wonder if Mike is in the pub yet?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm

4-0

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:54 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:4-0
Look on the bright side we lost 6-1 the week before we won the FA Cup. :wink:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:06 pm

Waiting for excuses.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:13 pm

5-0 :blush:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 pm

5-0 after 50 minster. MM, sack the tw*t

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:34 pm

Don't sack him it's 5-1. :roll:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Sack the c*ck 6-1 :x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Too many players out and we have a very thin squad and still no physical presence up front.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:05 pm

I said after the Gillingham defeat that it was going to be a long hard season. This just confirms that we are just not good enough we need a forward thinking coach/manager instead of the antiquated dinosaur Mick f**king Mccarthy. :x

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:48 am

Pre-season games invariably don't mean much but that was unacceptable. Put out a strong team with "reliable" players and get beaten out of sight by an opposition team we should have done something with. Not looking forward at all to another potential nine months of McCarthy's tenure at this club, can only hope today's episode was not an indication of things to come.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 am

way hey .... can barely wait for next saturday

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 am

f**king hell Charlton scored more than I did !!! Don't panic it may be the best thing that could have happened lol. Thank God I was otherwise engaged. f*ck my head hurts.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:02 am

bluemike wrote:f**king hell Charlton scored more than I did !!! Don't panic it may be the best thing that could have happened lol. Thank God I was otherwise engaged. f*ck my head hurts.
Alcohol-induced over confidence Bluemike? :wink: :lol: . I happen to agree that this could be the best thing, embarrassing though in the manner of defeat. We could (and possibly should) have won all of our pre-season friendlies, but what would that have told us? I would rather the reality of a heavy loss in a near meaningless game than go into the season over confident.

So what did I glean from yesterday (have only skimmed over the reports)? We had nowhere near the midlfield that will possibly be our first choice. A weakened midfield cannot link the play, cannot protect the defence, nor provide for the strikers anywhere near as well.I expect Adeyemi and Hughes to carry that strength and know-how our team needs. There were others in the team who were not fully fit either. Hopefully any further signing(s) will bolster the squad.

I might have my blue-tinted glasses on, mainly from being happier that the team has been refreshed during close season, but I will not deny alarm bells ringing. Despite some promising signings, the emergence of further youth talent, there still seems to be a soft underbelly to our team which worries me as to which Ipswich team will turn up week on week. As positive as I try to be, I really do not want to another season like the last. I can handle defeats, as long as we have been playing consistently well and were just beaten by a team which played better on the day. However I don't want to see games like Rotherham at home where we are relieved to nick a point with a last minute equaliser.

Time will tell I guess!!