Ipswich vs Birmingham Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Brum get None?

Ipswich Win
55%
Birmingham Win
27%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 22

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Birmingham Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:25 pm

YES !!!!! A more than satisfying start to the new season for Town, Three points, a clean sheet and a very good atmosphere inside Portman Road, the only down side a season ending injury for young Andre Dozzell. Having played most of the pre season campaign using a 4-4-2 formation it was something of a surprise to see MM line up with the 3-5-2 which we played for a fair part of last season, probably forced upon him in some respects, I was a bit uneasy seeing Knudsen & Smith in ahead of Kenlock & Webster but fair play we got the win.

In fairness it was Birmingham who started the better and probably edged the first half without really causing Bart too many serious moments. A couple of early half chances fell to the Brummies with Bart on hand to mop up without too much trouble. Town's first chance fell to Garner who hit his shot against a defender with Stockdale not troubled. Birmingham were continuing to look the more likely and a couple of dodgy moments in the Town defence thankfully came to nothing. Most of Town's best play came from the hard working Garner and Dozzell who was at least getting onm the ball and making a pass or Two to trouble the Birmingham defence. With HT approaching was again Dozzell who played in Sears but his effort was deflected wide when he should have done better. Moments later youing Dozzell went to ground clutching his leg and it was pretty soon clear the injury was serious as the stretcher was called on to the pitch, following lengthy treatment he was carried away, early reports suggest a serious season ending Knee injury. Flynn Downes was brought on the replace Dozzell and the last couple of minutes of the first half passed without incident. It had been a bit of a cagey start from Town and while we didnt see the hoof ball of old we also didnt get the ball down and play as we had done in a couple of pre season games, while there wasn't an awful lot in it it was Birmingham who had come out on top on points.

Birmingham had an early chance at the start of the second half which again didn't threaten Bart's goal but it was Town who took the lead with our first real quality move of the game. Ward strode forward and played Knudsen in down the Left, the Dane put in a peach of a cross which eluded Sears but charging in at the back post was Joe Garner who cooly fired past the helpless Stockdale, the crowd erupted as garner and co celebrated in front of the North Stand. It was a different game now and Town were building up some momentum and looking the better side, it was evident Knudsen & Iorfa were getting forward more to support the attack and chances were being created, unfortunately most fell to Sears who was unable to capitalise. I keep bigging this lad up but Downes had again caught the eye with a composure that belies his years, strong in the tackle, picking passes, challenging for high balls, mopping up loose balls, he was involved in it all, I mentioned after the Gillingham game how he appears to be a player that always finds space and most of his passes go forwards. Birmingham tried to get back into the game and one shot flew wide of the mark before Bart pulled off his first real save by tipping a shot over the bar from the tightest of angles. With 15 minutes left it really should have been 2-0 and game over as Town carved out a golden opportunity with a lovely move. Again it was Knudsen finding space on the left before drilling another excellent cross which flew all the way across to Spence who by now had switched to Right Wing back, he surged into the area before crossing for the unmarked Sears who with the open goal at his mercy contrived to put it wide. Thankfully we were not to rue the miss and saw the game out but not before having to defend a couple of corners.

I think it is not unfair to say we deserved the points for our second half improvement and while it wasn't dominant we have to remember it was a pretty patched up side to what is likely to be our first choice Eleven, Webster, Didsy, Celina, Huws and Adeyemi would all be knocking on the door of the starting line up. I thouhgt Joe Garner put in a really good shift and obviously got the all important goal, he is not the biggest but he competes for high balls, he makes a real nuisance of himself and his movement and runs into box are very clever. Iorfa, Spence and Knudsen all improved as the game wore on, Knudsen in the second half put some really good ball into the box, for me he is way better going forward than he is defending, Chambo & Smith did ok and clearly there is room to improve. Cole Skuse had a pretty solid game and is a calming influence to the kids around him, up front Sears got into the positions but failed to make it count, he will have better days, as will Ward who started slowly but grew into it the longer it went on. For me and many others around me the game changed when Downes came on, without doubt we started to win the Midfield, the first half had seen us struggle in that department, not due to Dozzell as he had been the best of the bunch up to his injury but it just seem to click, the lad is quality and could be a massive player for us, he did nothing but positive things once again, it's like he's been there for years.

Bart (6) Spence (7) Iorfa (6) Chambo (6) Smith (6) Knudsen (7) Ward (6) Skuse (6) Dozzell (6) Sears (6) Garner (7)

SUBS :- Downes (7) Webster (6)

We couldn't really ask for more, it was so important that we got off to a winning start and thankfully we have, there is so much more to come, especially with players to come back from injury etc and hopefully our new striker arrives. We had to get the crowd on side and the atmosphere suggests the lads have done that, winning breeds confidence and we have always been a side that needs to be confident. We move on to Luton where again the side selected will probably disappoint many but be serious we have enough players out already so lets go with what MM decides and if we win we win, Barnsley is far more important. Oh how I loved seeing that fist pump from Chambers, and boy how he meant it !!! COYB'S

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:15 pm

marko69 wrote:Fans going to get 45 minutes of seeing Flynn Downes....., (hopefully Dozzell isn't injured) ...... but looking forward to reading how Downes does this half.

Come on, ITFC.
OMG you are a physco :twisted: you got that spot on Marko or is that phychic :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 pm

Something of a relief to get the season's first match done and dusted. Better still that, after a fairly turgid first half, resulting from the best bit of football we played early in the second, we grabbed what would be the winning goal. Well crafted and well taken by Joe Garner - hopefully the first of many to come. In truth, Birmingham never really offered too much of a threat - we will surely face stronger teams - but you can only beat what's in front of you. Well done to MM for his selections and team set up, well done to the players for growing into the game and improving bith individually and collectively, and well done to those in the ground for great support and sticking with it. We have something to build on, and the transition from last season's soulless, boring, stuff is clearly under way - a long way to go, but with a fully fit squad playing progressive, passing, football the future looks much more promising. Evolution not revolution takes time, but the end game is worth the patience.

Downside is young AD's injury, which looked serious. He took his starting opportunity very well, and is going to be a great asset, as he gains in experience and strength. we can only wish him well and hope he's soon back to full fitness. Similarly, Flynn Downes possesses an assurance and confidence that belies his years, and is probably the stand out home grown prospect that represents the team's future. ME will be delighted with all those youngsters coming through! Gives some legitimacy to his much maligned 5 point plan. Just get that striker deal done, Marcus!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:50 pm

Excellent report. And this.......
bluemike wrote:......,up front Sears got into the positions but failed to make it count, he will have better days,......
...... is definitely what I like reading. All teams have those players who, over a course of a season, frustrate the Shyte out of us, but good to read wee Freddie not being slated after one game. Hopefully he does have better days.
BLUEBLOOD wrote:OMG you are a physco :twisted: you got that spot on Marko or is that phychic :lol:
It's my dad who's the psychic, BB. I remember overhearing him say to mum, "That laddie is turning into a bloody psycho." :lol:
Seriously though...... According to reports, Downes was subbed on in the 45 (+5) minutes for Dozzell,...... could only have been due to injury.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 am

Important to find victory in the first round of games, team appeared to play with some vigor and interest particularly second period, Bialkowski was called upon on occasion to perform, going to be a key member of the squad this season.

One game alone decides zero and there's still so much more to come but on this day a starting victory was what was required and certain positives to take away. Take it into midweek and the League Cup issue and we can continue to move forward. 18,000 perhaps represents a poor crowd, would have expected more seats given the pre-season additions and first game of a new season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:05 am

Not expecting much of midweek, there will be some tired legs in the squad after yesterday. It's still early in the season. However we should see the whole bench (except for Downes) start for the same reason and maybe Adeyemi. This first cup game is way to early IMO if they want teams to take it more seriously. In the first week it has all the importance of a high intensity reserve game.

BTW in my opinion 18500 is a pretty good crowd in the circumstances and a good and reasonably entertaining win is just the way to try to push that to 20000.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:37 am

My first game for a while - was good to meet up with Mike and Liz before the game.

I went into this game with an open mind, determined to give the new-look squad a chance.
After 45 minutes I was thinking it was more or less same old same old - the ball spent far too much time hoofed up in the air and Skuse giving his usual masterclass of inaccurate sideways and backwards passing. Birmingham were not much better to be fair, but I thought they definitely edged it and deserved to go in ahead.

Second half, much better in places. We actually got the ball down and played. In my view we fully deserved the win.

Overall, I saw definite signs that we have something to build on.
I was impressed particularly by Knudsen, Iorfa, Downes, and my mom Ward. The defence looked far more solid without Berra, and if MM could only bring himself to leave Skuse out then I think we would look a half decent side.

Definitely more optimistic for the season than I was before the game started.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:19 am

Very nice to start with a win, lets hope there are plenty more to come. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:42 am

rossi wrote:My first game for a while - was good to meet up with Mike and Liz before the game.

I went into this game with an open mind, determined to give the new-look squad a chance.
After 45 minutes I was thinking it was more or less same old same old - the ball spent far too much time hoofed up in the air and Skuse giving his usual masterclass of inaccurate sideways and backwards passing. Birmingham were not much better to be fair, but I thought they definitely edged it and deserved to go in ahead.

Second half, much better in places. We actually got the ball down and played. In my view we fully deserved the win.

Overall, I saw definite signs that we have something to build on.
I was impressed particularly by Knudsen, Iorfa, Downes, and my mom Ward. The defence looked far more solid without Berra, and if MM could only bring himself to leave Skuse out then I think we would look a half decent side.

Definitely more optimistic for the season than I was before the game started.
Yes Gary, was good to see you too, just sorry we didn't get the chance to talk more but hopefully you will venture up to a few more games in the coming weeks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Saw this on the Green 'Un, the lad done good.
Ipswich Town Football League debutant Flynn Downes was your Man-of-the-match in the Blues’ opening-day 1-0 victory over Birmingham City, at Portman Road.

The 18-year-old midfielder replaced fellow academy product Andre Dozzell shortly before the break – the England youth international suffering a serious knee injury.

Downes impressed in central midfield, breaking up attacks, tackling hard and showing no lack of vision and composure on the ball.

Downes got 30% of your vote with match-winner Joe Garner coming in second with 27%.

Dozzell, Cole Skuse and Grant Ward all got nine per cent of the votes.

Thank you to everyone who voted

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Highlights for those that may not have seen them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO6FZYmrzc

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Not been this excited about a Town player for YEARS! Praying to the Most High that Downes remains injury free. A good season will see him worth 4-5M come seasons end.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 pm

bluemike wrote:
Bart (6) Spence (7) Iorfa (6) Chambo (6) Smith (6) Knudsen (7) Ward (6) Skuse (6) Dozzell (6) Sears (6) Garner (7)

SUBS :- Downes (7) Webster (6)

great win and a great read Mike, see you gave Iorfa a 6.. what do you think of him although a bit early. yet again Wolves and Town are joined at the hip on the league table. lol

Hibernian , Town and Wolves unbeaten all season. good time to quit while we are ahead me thinks lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheers G&B, I really like Iorfa, to be honest it was borderline a 7 for him too, he did little wrong but there is without doubt so much more to come. Great win for you guys too, let's hope we can both carry it on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:03 am

I'm not convinced about Iorfa as a wing back.

He's got loads of pace and strength and he got in good positions down the right, but his touch seems heavy and not sure he's the one you want delivering pin point .crosses. Seems more of a centre back in waiting.

Was not impressed to see Knudsen there in the starting line up, but he did fine going forward.

On that performance and assist alone, he's a shoe-in for the season. Best to get Kenlock out on loan this season, with Nydam as back up.

Downes looks a real find. Noticed he played deeper than Skuse and ready to accept responsibility of the ball in deep areas. That gave Skuse the opportunity to roam more in the attacking half. Not sure we want that. I'd prefer someone else other than Skuse in the opponents half.... interesting how that turns out with Downes/ Skuse selection over the season.

Good start... good result.... great to see Garner get of the mark. Works hard and offers a bit more in front of goal than powder-puff Freddie.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Interesting to hear about where Nydam played. In this case Skuse is competing maybe with Huws when he's back.

Suddenly a lot of competition in midfield. Pretty happy with that.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm

I wasn't too upset with the starting line-up. Formations don't worry me greatly; 5-3-2 and 3-5-2 are essentially the same, it depends how the team is deployed.

Pleased with the win, but at halftime I could only see one winner and it wasn't Ipswich. We had hardly managed a shot in those 45 minutes, and the longer the half went on, the more Birmingham got on top. I couldn't see where a goal was going to come from.

Dozzell's injury was a blow for us, and much more so for the poor lad. He was having a decent game.

I'd like to think it was the introduction of Downes that made the difference, but in all honesty I think it was the goal. After we scored, we looked more confident and more relaxed and ended up with the win we deserved.

The bad points:
1. The first 45 minutes. No better than last season.
2. Smith worried me, Chambers slightly less so. I still lack confidence in our defence despite a clean sheet.
3. Spence could easily have received a red card instead of the yellow.
4. Sears works hard but achieves little. Should have scored. No change from last season.

The good points:
1. Garner worked very hard, covered back at corners, and despite his (lack of) height won quite a bit in the air. Well taken goal.
2. Iorfa and Knudsen got forward well.
3. Downes. Tackled, challenged, used the ball well. Showed Skuse how to play there, always wanting the ball.
4. We scored a goal on the break! We actually moved the ball quickly and accurately.

I guess Downes won't get to play regularly I that position but he was very good. He will make mistakes, but he really was very impressive. Skuse played much better in the second half in a more advanced position.

Not a great performance by any means against one of the poorer sides in the division who deserved to be in front at half time. But a win and a better second half.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

bluemike wrote:Saw this on the Green 'Un, the lad done good.
Ipswich Town Football League debutant Flynn Downes was your Man-of-the-match in the Blues’ opening-day 1-0 victory over Birmingham City, at Portman Road.

The 18-year-old midfielder replaced fellow academy product Andre Dozzell shortly before the break – the England youth international suffering a serious knee injury.

Downes impressed in central midfield, breaking up attacks, tackling hard and showing no lack of vision and composure on the ball.

Downes got 30% of your vote with match-winner Joe Garner coming in second with 27%.

How the hell did Skuse get 9% of the votes? Just goes to show that 9% of our fans have literally got eyes in the back of their heads.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:I'm not convinced about Iorfa as a wing back.

He's got loads of pace and strength and he got in good positions down the right, but his touch seems heavy and not sure he's the one you want delivering pin point .crosses. Seems more of a centre back in waiting.

Was not impressed to see Knudsen there in the starting line up, but he did fine going forward.

On that performance and assist alone, he's a shoe-in for the season. Best to get Kenlock out on loan this season, with Nydam as back up.

Downes looks a real find. Noticed he played deeper than Skuse and ready to accept responsibility of the ball in deep areas. That gave Skuse the opportunity to roam more in the attacking half. Not sure we want that. I'd prefer someone else other than Skuse in the opponents half.... interesting how that turns out with Downes/ Skuse selection over the season.

Good start... good result.... great to see Garner get of the mark. Works hard and offers a bit more in front of goal than powder-puff Freddie.

I think your spot on there about Iorfa tangfastic .at Wolves everyone in the crowd ducked if he made a long pass. serious tho, C.B is his best position, I do think Mick will get the best out of him ((on the pitch and off it ) and he will go on to be a great asset to the Town.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:22 pm

rossi wrote:
bluemike wrote:Saw this on the Green 'Un, the lad done good.

How the hell did Skuse get 9% of the votes? Just goes to show that 9% of our fans have literally got eyes in the back of their heads.
Or maybe 1% are blind LMAO