Luton Town vs Ipswich Town - 1st Round EFL Cup - Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any chance of a 2nd round tie?

Luton Win
25%
Ipswich Win
69%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Luton Town vs Ipswich Town - 1st Round EFL Cup - Preview

Post by Frosty » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Image Luton Town V Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 8th August 2017 – 19:45

Kenilworth Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

So we're off, One down Forty Five to go ! How satisfying is it to start the season with a hard fought, no frills victory to get points on the board early. As I said before it was crucial we got off to a flyer and thankfully we did just that, even at this embryonic stage of the season it was clear to see that the fans will respond to the team as long as they are giving it a real go and are trying to play football, this was the case, especially in the second half when we had the ball on the deck and tried to do things the right way, it is no coincidence that for me the Two best passages of play led to Joe Garner giving us the lead and Freddie Sears missing a sitter which should have been the game clincher but it augers well that when we do play football we can carve teams open, yes we will play much better teams than Birmingham, who it has to be said offered little after the break apart from their physical approach which resulted in numerous fouls and in an odd way it helped us as it was them who kept stopping the flow of the game and being ahead it did us a favour. With so many players still unavailable to Mick it looks good that when they are all fit we will have a fair few options at our disposal. The obvious negative of the opening day was the apparent serious injury to young Andre Dozzell, the lad had started the game well and will be another big miss for Town but the most imortant thing is that he gets over the injury and comes back fully fit and suffers no lasting issues, we wish him well.

I couldn't help but ask myself why ex players, some former hero's at the club, appear to take great delight in putting the boot in to everything ITFC these days ? I am not a great fan of listening to Football on the radio but just what is Mick Mills on ? Does he ever have a positive thing to say about the team that made him what he was ? We are all well aware of the past and how "great" our team of the 70's / 80's was but do the current set up a favour for god sake, it's stacked against them enough as it is, I know these buffoons are paid to be a bit objective but I see no benefit in always being anti Mick and the team, we are what we are these days. Terry Butcher is another one, I laid in to him a few weeks back when he had a few derogatory things to say about the signing of Joe Garner, his opinion being Garner was not a good signing and not what we needed, that his scoring record is poor and we should look elsewhere, well I'm sorry Terry but you are already looking a bit of a plum in truth, yes it is very early days but the early signs show JG to be a very astute purchase, Five pre season goals followed by the winner yesterday says he is exactly what we need, add to that his tenacious style of play, getting in players faces and making himself a real nuisance is what we have lacked, he is also a real livewire around the box with clever runs and movement etc, I guess with the comments having come from a woeful, failed manager and a pretty dire pundit I shouldn't be so sensitive because our Terry has made himself look what he is.

Our attentions turn to cup action Tuesday evening with a visit to Luton Town in the First round of the Carabao Cup, with Mick's record of playing a weakened side in these tournaments and given that he is still to taste victory in any cup tie it has to be a home banker surely. I can't pretend that I know much of the current Luton Town side but anyone capable of opening the season with an Eight goal haul have something about them, just ask the 250+ Yeovil fans who made the long trek to Kenilworth Road Saturday. I would love us to build on the Birmingham win and progress in the cup but we have to be sensible here, our injury/sick list is crazy already and the loss of Dozzell only compounded it so I will be more than happy to see a makeshift side take the field for this one, Barnsley away is far more important, that said we can still put out a side good enough to make it through, I can see the likes of Nydam, Kenlock, Webster, Rowe (assuming he is over the bug that kept him out Saturday), Celina, and Didsy all getting some game time and they are all a capable of dealing with this level of competition. My view is that we may just finally win a cup game under Mick's leadership but not before we endure ET and maybe even the dreaded spot kicks. COYB'S

The Opposition Luton Town

Luton Town Football Club was formed on 11 April 1885, the product of a merger of the two leading local teams, Luton Town Wanderers and Excelsior. Initially based at Excelsior's Dallow Lane ground, the club began making payments to certain individual players in 1890. The following year, Luton became the first club in southern England to be fully professional.

The club was a founder member of the Southern Football League in the 1894–95 season. It then left to help form the United League before joining the Football League (then based mostly in northern and central England) for 1897–98, concurrently moving to a new ground at Dunstable Road. Poor attendance, high wages and the high travel and accommodation costs that resulted from Luton's distance from the northern heartlands of the Football League crippled the club financially, and made it too expensive to compete in that league. A return to the Southern League was therefore arranged for the 1900–01 season.

Eight years after arriving at Dunstable Road, Luton moved again, settling at their current ground, Kenilworth Road, in 1905.

After the First World War broke out, Luton took part in The London Combination during 1915–16, and afterwards filled each season with friendly matches.

The Luton side first played in the white and black colours which it has retained for much of its history during the 1920–21 season, when the club rejoined the Football League.

Luton stayed in the Third Division South until 1936–37, when the team finished top and won promotion to the Second Division, at that time the second tier of English football. During the promotion season, striker Joe Payne scored 55 goals in 39 games; during the previous season he had scored 10 in one match against Bristol Rovers, which remains a Football League record today.

During the early 1950s, one of Luton's greatest sides emerged under manager Dally Duncan. This team reached the top flight for the first time in 1955–56, after finishing the season in second place behind Birmingham City on goal average. A few years of success followed, including an FA Cup Final appearance against Nottingham Forest in 1958–59, at the end of the season. However, the club was relegated the following season and, by 1964–65, was playing in the fourth tier.

In yo-yo club fashion, Luton were to return and won the Fourth Division championship in 1967–68 ,two years later another promotion, while comedian Eric Morecambe became a director of the club.

Luton Town won promotion back to the First Division in 1973–74, but were relegated the following season by a solitary point. By 1982–83 the team was back in the top flight. The team which Pleat assembled at Kenilworth Road was notable at the time for the number of black players it included; during an era when many English squads were almost entirely white, Luton often fielded a mostly black team.

On the last day of the 1982–83 season, the club's first back in the top tier, it narrowly escaped relegation. The club achieved its highest ever league position, seventh, under John Moore in 1986–87, and, managed by Ray Harford, won the Football League Cup a year later with a win over Arsenal. The club reached the League Cup Final once more in 1988–89, but lost to Nottingham Forest.

The club was relegated from the top division at the end of the 1991–92 season, and sank to the third tier four years later. Luton stayed in the third-tier Second Division until relegation at the end of the 2000–01 season. Under the management of Joe Kinnear, who had arrived halfway through the previous season, the team won promotion from the fourth tier at the first attempt.

"Controversial" owner John Gurney unsettled the club in 2003, terminating Kinnear's contract on his arrival in May; Gurney replaced Kinnear with Mike Newell before leaving Luton as the club entered administration. Newell's team finished as champions of the rebranded third-tier Football League One in 2004–05.

The team was then relegated twice in a row, starting in 2006–07, and spent the latter part of the 2007–08 season in administration, thus incurring a ten-point deduction from that season's total. The club then had a total of 30 points docked from its 2008–09 record by the Football Association and the Football League for financial irregularities dating back several years. These deductions proved to be too large an obstacle to overcome, but Luton came from behind in the final of the Football League Trophy to win the competition for the first time.

Relegation meant that 2009–10 saw Luton playing in the Conference Premier, a competition which the club had never before participated in. The club unsuccessfully contested the promotion play-offs three times in four seasons during their time as a non-League club, employing five different managers.

In the 2013–14 season, Luton won the Conference Premier title with three games to spare, and thereby secured a return to the Football League from 2014–15.

Last season Luton finished 4th in League 2 thus qualifying for a place in the playoffs.

The Manager - Nathan Jones

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

lets hope we make easier work this time around

Media Watch - K L Blue

Fans react to opening day win.................

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/excit ... g-day-win/

Harry praises MM........................

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5137337

Brummie fans react to opening day loss............................(and I thought Town fans could be fickle)

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/shamb ... ay-defeat/

Luton Last 5 Matches

Luton Town 8-2 Yeovil Town

Luton Town 2-1 Scunthorpe Utd

Luton Town 0-1 Leicester City

Boreham Wood 0-2 Luton Town

Bedford Town 1-2 Luton Town

Ipswich Last 5 Matches

Ipswich Town 1-0 Birmingham City

Charlton Athletic 6-1 Ipswich Town

Colchester Utd 0-1 Ipswich Town

Gillingham 2-1 Ipswich Town

Peterborough 1-3 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Andy Haines

LUTON TOWN 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Andym

Re: Luton Town vs Ipswich Town - 1st Round EFL Cup - Preview

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:47 pm

My dad was at the game in 1936 when Joe Payne scored 10 goals.

I think Luton will have too much for the team we will put out. Given the number of injuries we have I won't be too bothered. We need to avoid losing anyone else to injury.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:33 pm

Good comprehensive opening thoughts there. What I do to curb the anger of hearing Butcher talking pish,...... just have the PG Tips monkeys on screen on mute, but have Butchers voice speaking.
Saying that...... pretty sure a PG Tips monkey wouldn't have got the Cabbage relegated.

Didn't know anything at all about that "10 in one game" record. Must've been some memory your dad had, Andy.
Every time I hear the name, Luton Town, I see David Pleat running across the pitch, flapping his arms. Those were great times for the club.

Usually am slightly bothered about this competition because it's a piece of silverware that I'd like to see ITFC win...... especially with other teams also not taking it properly serious. BUT, after what happened to Dozzell yesterday, couldn't give a PG Tips monkey about this one.
2-1 Luton AET.

Ref:
"OI, get that free kick taken now, son..... I've got a PG Tips monkey making a brew right about now."

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am

That took me back a few years I was there still got the Programme 1 page 10p I think it was zenith data systems cup (what a sponsor)

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:35 pm

I guess I'm with Andy on this one, I really don't care too much about the mickey mouse cup, and would rather three points at Barnsley. I think Luton after their eight goals on Saturday will be up for taking a bigger scalp, and will end up 3-1 winners.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:38 pm

A few more injuries - Ward, Smith, Garner, Roe - to add to the frustratingly long list. Hopefully, however, they'll be OK for the weekend. Didsy, Gerks and Celina look certs to start, together with newbie Waghorn - aka Waggy. (Pass the Bonios!)

Luton will clearly think they've got a good chance of getting through; but have a feeling MM will take this one a bit more seriously than in previous seasons. Players coming into the team should be sufficiently motivated and keen to impress - with a fully fit squad, there's more, good quality, competition for places creeping in. Can only be good; and with possibly more to follow, credit to ME and MM for what they've achieved on comparatively modest outlay. When taking into account number of outgoings, those coming in might not be far off a cost-neutral situation.

I listen to what certain ex-players have to say out of interest, and a certain amount of respect for their past service to both club and country. Hopefully they are as delighted as us when their pessimistic words of wisdom turn to ashes!

Recall being at Kenilworth Road in the early 80s for what I think was a FA Cup encounter. Terry Butcher took a massive blow to the nose, which led to a serious blood loss, that wouldn't stop. He was carted off to the local hospital, and was out for quite a while. Fairly sure that we played in red and black that day!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Luton won't score any goals on Tuesday football is like that so we will go through for a change.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:28 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:Luton won't score any goals on Tuesday football is like that so we will go through for a change.
Funnily enough I said exactly the same thing to myself at work today, it's how it often goes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:30 pm

herforder wrote:A few more injuries - Ward, Smith, Garner, Roe - to add to the frustratingly long list. Hopefully, however, they'll be OK for the weekend. Didsy, Gerks and Celina look certs to start, together with newbie Waghorn - aka Waggy. (Pass the Bonios!)

Luton will clearly think they've got a good chance of getting through; but have a feeling MM will take this one a bit more seriously than in previous seasons. Players coming into the team should be sufficiently motivated and keen to impress - with a fully fit squad, there's more, good quality, competition for places creeping in. Can only be good; and with possibly more to follow, credit to ME and MM for what they've achieved on comparatively modest outlay. When taking into account number of outgoings, those coming in might not be far off a cost-neutral situation.

I listen to what certain ex-players have to say out of interest, and a certain amount of respect for their past service to both club and country. Hopefully they are as delighted as us when their pessimistic words of wisdom turn to ashes!

Recall being at Kenilworth Road in the early 80s for what I think was a FA Cup encounter. Terry Butcher took a massive blow to the nose, which led to a serious blood loss, that wouldn't stop. He was carted off to the local hospital, and was out for quite a while. Fairly sure that we played in red and black that day!
I do know Danny Rowe was ill on Saturday but as for the others, nothing bloody wrong with them LOL.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:01 pm

bluemike wrote:
herforder wrote:A few more injuries - Ward, Smith, Garner, Roe - to add to the frustratingly long list. Hopefully, however, they'll be OK for the weekend. Didsy, Gerks and Celina look certs to start, together with newbie Waghorn - aka Waggy. (Pass the Bonios!)

I do know Danny Rowe was ill on Saturday but as for the others, nothing bloody wrong with them LOL.
Yea, I always thought Elvis was faking it, too! :D

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:27 am

For me this game is just part of the end of pre-season and it's vital to give squad members playing time to get them properly game hardened. Equally it's no accident that a few of the team are carrying knocks after Birmingham and the first really competitive game of the season. I'm guessing that even some of those who finished the game unscathed might have heavy legs today. So for me Barnsley is more important and I would make a lot of changes for tonight.

Given that some of our most talented players missed out on Saturday (Huws, Adeyemi, Celina, Rowe, McGoldrick) we should still have enough to beat Luton but it won't be easy.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

if you look at the team we will likely have playing I think it shows our squad is much better than it was last season. Could be something like;

Gerken

Kenlock
Webster
Chambers
Iorfa

Celina
Downes
Skuse
Rowe

Waghorn
McGoldrick

7 of those didn't start on Saturday, last season the team would have had the likes of Best, Douglas, Moore etc. I think we can now make changes and still look strong. Plus we have many players to come back in from injury, notably Huws and Adeyemi. Definitely reasons to be more optimistic.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:52 pm

charlton837 wrote:if you look at the team we will likely have playing I think it shows our squad is much better than it was last season. Could be something like;

Gerken

Kenlock
Webster
Chambers
Iorfa

Celina
Downes
Skuse
Rowe

Waghorn
McGoldrick

7 of those didn't start on Saturday, last season the team would have had the likes of Best, Douglas, Moore etc. I think we can now make changes and still look strong. Plus we have many players to come back in from injury, notably Huws and Adeyemi. Definitely reasons to be more optimistic.

agreed on paper it certainly looks stronger, but as the old saying goes the games not played on paper. There is imho no reason why we could´nt go there and get a Victory,(ive always liked Luton and lived there 8 years) so i have a little soft spot for them. Mick might be more positive and really ask the players to go for it and not hold back baring injuries. Luton are however no mugs but i think its in our own hands. Be positive and attack them and WHO knows? sit back and take pressure and i think we may buckle. Good luck you town, i know my Little Brother will be going for sure....a huge hatters fan.

1-1 aet Luton to win

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

phily bon bon wrote:. Be positive and attack them and WHO knows? sit back and take pressure and i think we may buckle. Good luck you town, i know my Little Brother will be going for sure....a huge hatters fan.

1-1 aet Luton to win
I agree. Sit back and they'll punish us. But if we go for them we could win. Still expect a defeat....although rumours are that Luton might rest players too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm

What a bloody shithole

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

bluemike wrote:What a bloody shithole

Just hope it stays dry or it will be even worse.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Not a bad line up for a League Cup fixture, maybe our Mick is taking this seriously.

Town: Gerken, Webster, Chambers (c), Knudsen, Iorfa, Kenlock, Skuse, Downes, Nydam, Celina, McGoldrick. Subs: Bialkowski, Woolfenden, Webber, McDonnell, Rowe, Sears, Waghorn.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Where TF is the radio commentary now? Help

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Hey Trev, Thanks for the memory,

I was just behind the churchmans goal that night!!!

lol

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Bollocks- have just seen no online commentary from R Suffolk. Crap!!

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 pm

1-0 to Town. Made by Celina, scored by Didsy. (Luton almost immediately equalise!). COYB.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 pm

HT 1-0 Town

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 pm

My brother is very quiet, he took the p*ss before kick off.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Come on Mike half time synopsis!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Pretty even half but not a lot of chances, lovely piece of play by Celina for the goal and a tidy finish by Didsy, those Two and Downes been the best Town players, Luton very nearly scored in the last minute of the half. Step it up a little and we should be able to see it through

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Go raibh mille maith agat- the irish for thank you very much. It was much appreciated.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Waggy makes his Town debut in place of Nydam.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Skuse off, Adam McDonnell on.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Come on you blues let's see this out.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Didsy- 2-0!! Almost there.

Final score 2-0. Well done Town, 5 Academy players involved tonight. Much improved centre midfield. Celina, Downes, Didsy, Waghorn - all hold out the prospect of much better things to come.