Luton Town vs Ipswich Town - 1st Round EFL Cup - Preview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Any chance of a 2nd round tie?

Luton Win
25%
Ipswich Win
69%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

BLUEBLOOD

Re: Luton Town vs Ipswich Town - 1st Round EFL Cup - Preview

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Can anyone remembers what happens next? :lol:
1st time in 7 years even I have forgotten :wink:
Well done lads great result and 2 clean sheets too, it took us till April to that last season.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Delighted by the result. All good for building confidence. Nearly went but chickened out.

This is why I don't join the prediction league. I know bugger all about anyone but Ipswich....snd I've predicted 2 defeats so far.....

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Andym wrote:Delighted by the result. All good for building confidence. Nearly went but chickened out.

This is why I don't join the prediction league. I know bugger all about anyone but Ipswich....snd I've predicted 2 defeats so far.....
Keep predicting defeats Andy :lol: I will take this any day of the week. Most delighted by two clean sheets though, maybe it's a new trend, and the youngsters getting a chance to progress.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Andym wrote:This is why I don't join the prediction league. I know bugger all about anyone but Ipswich....snd I've predicted 2 defeats so far.....
Andy, just join the Prediction league. They need more people than just me to be sh*t on that thing.

Very good away win this. Very impressed. Well done indeed. Very happy for Mick & Co. I'd like to see a proper decent draw....., like Liverpool @ Anfield.

Also delighted at Easter Road tonight to watch Hibs thump Ayr 5-0 in the League Cup.

And a mention to Jason Cummings scoring on his competitive debut for Nott'm Forest v Shrewsbury.

Good season all round so far. Can this continue? It can if you keep predicting losses, Andy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 am

A tad early to get too excited but there are some encouraging signs that hopefully can be built upon, not least two clean sheets, a midfield with a bit more pace, good debuts for a few new players and Didsy looking sharp.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:00 am

Another very satisfying evening for Town and for once a place in the 2nd round of a cup !!! I've almost forgotten what happens next such is the wait to win a cup tie. Over the piece Town deserved the win but it was anything but a walk in the park, in fact the first half was similar in some ways to Birmingham on Saturday with Luton having a large share of the opening 45 minutes and playing some attractive passing football with little penetration though. The opening minutes did see the Hatters in the ascendancy with a couple of half chances that failed to trouble Dean Gerken while at the other end the sharp looking McGoldrick tried his luck which resulted in a routine save for the keeper. Celina & Didsy were linking up well and a few minutes later Didsy had another effort on goal following a good run by the Kosovan, this time the ball clearing the bar. It was this combination that were to carve out the lead for Town 10 minutes before the break, the ball found its way to Celina and his lovely pass put McGoldrick in on goal, the striker making no mistake with a smart finish, it was really good to see this combination clicking with each other. As with Town we so nearly let them back in straight away first they fluffed an effort when in a good position and a minute or so after Gerken was beaten from range but the ball flew past the post. The half with Kenlock firing a shot in that flew wide before Luton contrived to miss a sitter, Gerken got down low to save a shot, the ball fell to the Luton striker who blazed over with the gaping goal at his mercy, it really was a sitter. It had been a pretty even half with Didsy, Celina and the oh so impressive Downes standing out for Town while at the back we survived one or Two scary moments with Gerken not really called into action until the final minute of the half.

The second half started with another academty graduate taking to the field, Luke Woolfenden replacing Adam Webster at CB, the latter having taken a knock which required treatment. The first 10 minutes after the break saw Luton on top but again nothing clear cut but Town did then have their best spell of the match and had several opportunities to put the game to bed, a neat move between Downes and Kenlock saw the former failing to get a good contack to Kenlocks cross and the chance was gone. midway through the half Martyn Waghorn came on for Tristan Nydam who had looked very good after the break and can feel pleased with his nights work. It didnt take long for Waghorn to have a pop on goal with no success. McGoldrick then missed a great chance after being set up by Kenlock but the ball just wouldn't fall for him when in space in front of goal, Waghorn then had another effort which sailed wide. By now Town were well on top and Downes almost got the second, following a strong run forward his shot just missed the post with the keeper well beaten. Didsy and Waghorn looked like they had played together for a while and it was Didsy that almost got his second after being sent free by the new signing but the keeper tipped the ball over the bar. Luton tried in vein to get back on terms but despite plenty of balls into our area we stood firm, finally Town sealed the win with the second deep in stoppage time and it was McGoldrick again hitting the net after being sent through with Luton pushing men forward.

So we progress to round Two and keep a second clean sheet, this Town team have far more options than last season and to win this game with a load of kids on show is all the more pleasing, Kenlock, Nydam, Downes, McDonnell and Woofenden can all feel really pleased with their nights work, Nydam & Downes especially look the real deal. The old heads of Chambers & Skuse stood firm and acted as a calming influence while Knudsen & Iorfa again got forward well, it was Iorfa's clever pass that cut open the Luton defence for Didsy to get the second. Up front Didsy was on fire and my MOTM, just pipping Downes to it, while celina also lokked very good when on the ball, yes indeed many reasons to be cheerful today.

Gerken (6) Iorfa (6) Chambers (6) Webster (6) Knudsen (7) Kenlock (6) Nydam (7) Skuse (6) Downes (8) Celina (7) McGoldrick (8)

SUBS :- Woolfenden (6) Waghorn (7) McDonnell (6)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 am

bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:Luton won't score any goals on Tuesday football is like that so we will go through for a change.
Funnily enough I said exactly the same thing to myself at work today, it's how it often goes.
We were right Mike. Well done Town. :D

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 am

Nice report Mike. How did Woolfenden look?

Also how did Skuse & Downes play. Against Brum reports suggested that Downes took the deeper role while Skuse was able to roam forwards. Was it this way again? If so then who was struggling at the end of the first half when Luton nearly got back on terms?

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am

Early days of course, but far more reasons to be optimistic, and break out of the almost institutionalised pessimism that has hung over the club - both on and off the field. Suspect there was some deep soul searching over the summer which, to the club's credit, has resulted in positive action, as opposed to hollow words. Something had to change; the rapidly deteriorating relationship between club and it's life-blood (supporters) was rapidly approaching the point of no return. Credit for recognising this, and driving through the changes required - player investment, need for more attractive and entertaining football, better connection with supporters and the local community, the need to get back to the ITFC that enjoyed respect and affection both near and far. A big ask, but I ssense that evolution towards something better has started, and credit for that is due in no small part to Ian Milne. Whilst, by his own admission, not a football natural, his other personal and professional qualities have come to the fore in seeing the wider picture, and deploying the leadership qualities necessary to drive forward change across all areas within the club - including ME and MM. Appreciate that many may not agree with this - but what's currently happening has not happened spontaneously!

(Cheque from IM safely banked!) :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Nice report Mike. How did Woolfenden look?

Also how did Skuse & Downes play. Against Brum reports suggested that Downes took the deeper role while Skuse was able to roam forwards. Was it this way again? If so then who was struggling at the end of the first half when Luton nearly got back on terms?
Skuse played the deeper defensive role sitting in front of the defence whike Downes was central and getting forward with aplomb, I love watching this lad already, tbh I wonder how Huws and Adeyemi are going to fit in now with all these options. Woolfenden did ok and faced a fair few balls into the box the longer the game went on, the skipper was there to guide him through and did ok by and large.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:This is why I don't join the prediction league. I know bugger all about anyone but Ipswich....snd I've predicted 2 defeats so far.....
Andy, just join the Prediction league. They need more people than just me to be sh*t on that thing.

Very good away win this. Very impressed. Well done indeed. Very happy for Mick & Co. I'd like to see a proper decent draw....., like Liverpool @ Anfield.

Also delighted at Easter Road tonight to watch Hibs thump Ayr 5-0 in the League Cup.

And a mention to Jason Cummings scoring on his competitive debut for Nott'm Forest v Shrewsbury.

Good season all round so far. Can this continue? It can if you keep predicting losses, Andy.
In that case, I'll join then just to make you look good. ;)

That's of course before I start inevitably forgetting halfway through the season!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks for the reports Mike both Saturday's and last nights. Always a good read which bring other match reports to life. Keep em coming please especially now we've decided to base ourselves full time in Spain.

I know it's only two games in but I certainly feel a level of optimism creeping in, and maybe some of those season ticket holders who didn't renew will wish they had. Two decent results in the opening games will help restore confidence and we appear to have better options in both midfield and up front compared with recent seasons.

I know two swallows don't make a summer but it certainly feels much better than it did at the end of last season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks Mike. I guess Downes will need careful handling and rests at his age so plenty of time for them all to feature. Maybe also older heads might be better for the bigger games for now, we shall see. It's a nice problem to have.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:Thanks for the reports Mike both Saturday's and last nights. Always a good read which bring other match reports to life. Keep em coming please especially now we've decided to base ourselves full time in Spain.

I know it's only two games in but I certainly feel a level of optimism creeping in, and maybe some of those season ticket holders who didn't renew will wish they had. Two decent results in the opening games will help restore confidence and we appear to have better options in both midfield and up front compared with recent seasons.

I know two swallows don't make a summer but it certainly feels much better than it did at the end of last season.
No worries Andy, are you not at Barnsley Saturday now then ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Maybe also older heads might be better for the bigger games for now, we shall see..
Maybe yes, DB......, but also maybe not. If players like Flynn Downes are going to be coming on the scene, (hopefully more regularly) then maybe all out attacking some of bigger teams might spur this team on even more. They may realise what they are capable of sooner rather than later. Assuming obviously that the first 180 minutes haven't been two flashes in the pan!

I do agree with the older, wiser pro thinking, but as Sir Alex discovered in the 90s, sometimes raw "young" talent can do a job against massive opposition.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:05 pm

MM/TC will understand the need to manage the whole squad sensibly; assessing players' mental as well as physical fitness and sharpness. Albeit only two games in, he's got team selection, including subs, spot on. What's encouraging now, is the quality m/f and attacking options now available - with the ability to mix experience with youth, without lowering the team's ability or effectiveness. Competition for places - as Didsy stated in his post-match interview - seems to have had a positive impact throughout the squad, including him!

If you've got the shirt, and are consistently doing the business, it's up to someone else to get it off you - young or old. How times have changed!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:09 pm

bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Thanks for the reports Mike both Saturday's and last nights. Always a good read which bring other match reports to life. Keep em coming please especially now we've decided to base ourselves full time in Spain.

No worries Andy, are you not at Barnsley Saturday now then ?

Sadly not Mike as I've been really looking forward to it. I'll stay in touch and see if I can fit a game in when we pop back in the winter.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:13 pm

herforder wrote:MM/TC will understand the need to manage the whole squad sensibly; assessing players' mental as well as physical fitness and sharpness. Albeit only two games in, he's got team selection, including subs, spot on. What's encouraging now, is the quality m/f and attacking options now available - with the ability to mix experience with youth, without lowering the team's ability or effectiveness. Competition for places - as Didsy stated in his post-match interview - seems to have had a positive impact throughout the squad, including him!

If you've got the shirt, and are consistently doing the business, it's up to someone else to get it off you - young or old. How times have changed!

Competition for places gets even hotter when the team is winning and players don't want to lose their place. This is a far cry from the situation when a side is struggling and fans are moaning, this is when players are quite happy to feign injury or be dropped to avoid blame. Let's hope some of this positivity can stick around for a bit.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks for the time spent on an extensive match report bluemike, very helpful indeed!

The feeling around the club has really changed so far, here's to hoping it continues!

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Home tie for 2nd round against Crystal Palace

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Town are playing Palace AWAY

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:22 pm