Town New Striker - Martyn Waghorn ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Town New Striker - Martyn Waghorn ?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 am

Looks like the mystery new striker is coming from Rangers who are reported to have accepted a bid of around £1 million for striker Martyn Waghorn.

Not sure quite how I feel about this having watched him play many times for Leicester City where he never really made any great impact and spent long periods out on loan.

If the rumours are true we'll just have to wait and see how well he does for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Town New Striker - Martyn Waghorn ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:24 am

My initial reaction is one of disappointment, we need a big target man type striker, we now have 4 all very similar to each other, the plus side is maybe it indicates no long ball football at all which is a good thing. Hopefully this signing will grow on me.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 am

If true have to say I'm not exactly excited about this signing.

Apart from Rangers his goal scoring record is not great and as already been stated he is not exactly a replacement for Murphy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 am

Id say it very much backs up the change from long ball to short ball game.

Waghorn always used to giuve us big problems when he's played agaisnt us . Has scored a fair few goals for Rangers and will know Gardner's game . I reckon he will be okay myself .

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 am

Probably not on most people's radar, but - providing he remains fit - could be an astute signing. Apparently Sunderland were also showing interest, but he's opted to cone here rather than his home town club. Perhaps Joe Garner's had a word with him - but feel sure most sensible folk will give him a fair crack of the whip (he's also into black leather, so the rumour goes!) :wink:

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

im not sure what to think on this one, on his day he can be a useful player, I guess similar to Garner in that he has played at this level before without really setting it alight. I think most of us were expecting more of a target man/someone to hold ball up.

However as has also been said perhaps looking at the type of striker we now have we are looking to change our way of playing, IF that is the case then I will be happy enough, we just need to ensure we resist the urge to hoof it as with the strikers we now have this simply wont work, if we can play through our midfield more then this could work. As always willing to give it a chance with an open mind

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:35 am

Garner has a fair jump on him. I wouldn't say that we can't use the tactic when it suits us.

Anyway plenty to look forward to. This Waghorn move makes sense for me. Sears becomes one of the wing options too. Not sure if we need the Leicester lad but will be happy to have such an array of options.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am

bluemike wrote:My initial reaction is one of disappointment, we need a big target man type striker, we now have 4 all very similar to each other, the plus side is maybe it indicates no long ball football at all which is a good thing. Hopefully this signing will grow on me.
Looks like long ball tactic has been kicked out if the ground. Micks winning wolves team played fast paced wingers and on the deck. Maybe mick is finally getting a squad he can mould into the same fashion??

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:42 am

Dubai Blue wrote:Garner has a fair jump on him. I wouldn't say that we can't use the tactic when it suits us.

Anyway plenty to look forward to. This Waghorn move makes sense for me. Sears becomes one of the wing options too. Not sure if we need the Leicester lad but will be happy to have such an array of options.
Sears really isn't a wing option. Never has been, never will.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Dubai Blue wrote:Garner has a fair jump on him. I wouldn't say that we can't use the tactic when it suits us.

Sears really isn't a wing option. Never has been, never will.
absolutely agree with Andy. I would have Sears as a sub who when he comes on plays down the middle on the last man. He and Garner/Waghorn should be competing for a place up top. I don't think Sears is as bad as some make out, he can be wasteful but hes a typical confidence player and to be honest Mick destroyed him by playing him here, there and everywhere. But if he got on a run of scoring he could be useful again. But absolutely no way would I want him on the wing, it doesn't do him any favours and hes just not good enough there. Round pegs in round holes please, that's always a good basis to build on.

In terms of wingers I believe Celina is one, we seem to be trying to sign another, Ward can play there but again he wouldn't be my first choice out there, and if we continue to play wing backs it may not be that we need out and out wingers each game.

Cant believe im saying this but second half I though Knudsen looked decent getting forward (he was his usual useless self first half though...). I think given a bit more of a licence to do it he is capable, and he set up the goal which was just all round positive play

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

very good signing IMO

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 pm

This is a excellent signing, this guy will score goals.Bluemike if we sign a big target man we will end up playing hoof ball. This guy can play. Give him a chance. .

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Yeah, I'm really feeling good about Waghorn.

For some unknown reason I'm looking forward to see what he can do.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:20 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:This is a excellent signing, this guy will score goals.Bluemike if we sign a big target man we will end up playing hoof ball. This guy can play. Give him a chance. .
I always give people a chance, more than anybody else actually, what I said was nothing against the player just that all our strikers are very similar, however as you say you would like to think the style of play will be easier on the eye.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

1 Neymar or 198 Waghorns?

I think he'll do OK and I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

COYB!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 pm

If we were having an ex Leicester City man I'd have much preferred Chris Wood when he was available, but I guess he was out of our price range.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Welcome to Portman Road Waggy.
As I said previously not sure about this signing but if he scores a hat-trick at the New Den tomorrow week I will soon change my mind. :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm sure we're all with you there Shed. No9's especially are all about how many goals they score.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Shed on tour wrote:Welcome to Portman Road Waggy.
As I said previously not sure about this signing but if he scores a hat-trick at the New Den tomorrow week I will soon change my mind. :wink:
Likely to be Wags, I guess. Waggers a bit for the public school cricket brigade. Mick does love his nick-names.

Not sure about him, but that's what a million quid gets you. Stupid money gets you an average Championship striker, so hopefully he's ready to up his game. Bit like Garner in that he's never proven himself really by his late 20's. Sure he'll put himself about, but we need him and/ or Garner to have a Murphy one-season hot streak at Champioship level.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

Text message from a buddy:
"Garner, now Waghorn? WTF? Your team are turning into Sevco coontz!"

I suppose he is right, but they are ITFC players now. That's all that matters.

Decent signing, and if he's brought any of his The Rangers antics, should see an increase in the penalties.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:If we were having an ex Leicester City man I'd have much preferred Chris Wood when he was available, but I guess he was out of our price range.
Possibly had that opportunity when he was briefly on loan here. I think he was returning from a long term injury, and didn't really do himself justice - albeit he didn't get that much game time. Pity, on reflection, that MM didn't take a punt at that time. But 20/20 hindsight's something we're all blessed with! Leeds are certainly reaping the rewards.

That said, because he's a different type of player, with the right service, he could be equally effective alongside Joe Garner. Getting away from the 'big target' man as our main/only attacking option, which determines how the rest of the team plays, gives us more options to mix it up. Now backed up by a more creative, mobile and less predictable midfield.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:55 pm

My best mate is a Wigan fan and he said that Waghorn is a workhorse and will do a job for us. He wont be the 20+ striker we would all love but hes industrious and a handful for defenders. Given a run he´ll score goals .

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:35 am

derick_ipsw wrote:This is a excellent signing, this guy will score goals.Bluemike if we sign a big target man we will end up playing hoof ball. This guy can play. Give him a chance. .
I said this lad was a excellent signing. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
I said this lad was a excellent signing. :D
You did indeed, and while it is still very early days the signs are good that even without a big man up front we can do ok.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 am

Just for the record you also said you wanted that useless tit MM to f*ck off, he signed him LOL.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 am

Sorry Waggy just not good enough.
I said previously in this thread that if you scored a hat-trick at Millwall I would change my mind but unfortunately 2 goals just doesn't cut the mustard. :lol: :lol:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:15 am

Shed on tour wrote:Sorry Waggy just not good enough.
I said previously in this thread that if you scored a hat-trick at Millwall I would change my mind but unfortunately 2 goals just doesn't cut the mustard. :lol: :lol:
Maybe he will get one against Brentford on sat give him another chance. :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:I said this lad was a excellent signing.
I hope you're not a closet "The" Rangers fan, Deeko boy! That would be most disappointing! :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm

bluemike wrote:Just for the record you also said you wanted that useless tit MM to f*ck off, he signed him LOL.
Still do. :shock:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:I said this lad was a excellent signing.
I hope you're not a closet "The" Rangers fan, Deeko boy! That would be most disappointing! :lol:
I went to Ibrox once to watch Rangers v Aberdeen does that count?