Barnsley vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An away win to round off a great 1st week?

Barnsley Win
14%
Ipswich Win
71%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Barnsley vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 am

Any thoughts why Celina and McGoldrick didn't start today, in fact Celina had no game time whatsoever, is he carrying an injury or is he going to be one that McCarthy doesn't like and rarely uses, if so maybe he'll get recalled by Man City?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 am

McGoldrick should have been fielded in the starting XI after his exploits in midweek but the manager did it his way. Two league victories and a cup progress with it is something of an enigma after the garbage of pre-season but all you ask is the players keep it going and gain some momentum. Going to be stronger opposition in the time ahead after the opening fixtures and interesting to see what occurs when we face off against one of the more heavyweight names this division can offer.

Report says only 900 traveling fans which perhaps represents something of a disappointment but don't know what allocation was given before start of play. Those who were in attendance witnessed something of a much needed improvement.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:09 am

Caption. A up Parkie get you're hand off my Dickin I'm not a Bird.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 am

The Tractor Rolls on, another fantastic day out and by the end of it a superb result and another Three precious points but as Mach has said not without some big scares along the way, I agree with most of Mach's comments although One or two I saw slightly differently.

" A Game of Two Halves" is a saying use so often in football and this was a classic example of that, following our impressive opening Two games we headed to Barnsley with much expectation and saw it as a chance to carry the feelgood factor on against a team who many feel may struggle this time. What we witnessed in the opening 45 minutes was anything but impressive, from the off we just failed to get into our stride, our play was so disjointed and laboured and certain players had a mare. By contrast barnsley got at us from the off and Bart was called into action on several occasions, albeit fairly routine saves at this stage, Garner managed a weak header in the early stages which was all Town mustered before barnsley took a deserved lead in the 15th minute, Hedges somewhat fortuitous overhead kick fell perfectly for Bradshaw at the back post who had the simplest job of heading home with Bart stranded and the defence all at sea. The Town defence had been all over the place and this was set to continue throughout almost all the first half. Where I do disagree with Mach is that I didn't think MM had set us up for digging out a point at all, I think as MM said we got totally outdone by the formation they set up with and our 3-5-2 was not working against it, it was true in that our Wing backs were constantly being doubled up on and getting overrun particularly Kenlock who it has to be said was struggling big time, to his credit Iorfa was a real threat going forward and was the outlet for all Town's first half attacks, unfortunately most of his good work fell down with the final ball etc as we just weren't getting players on the end of anything.

It could have got much worse for Town when Joe garner blocked Hammill's effort on the line, Twon had got a little bit more into it but despite reatining the ball and moving forward more chances were at a premium, in fact there really weren't any !! As the half came to a close it was bart to the rescue again with a superb double save when Barnsley should really have scored the second, the first effort saw the big man get down well to save only for the Town defence to fail to clear and the second strike saw our keeper get his big hands to it to palm it round for a corner. That was the end of the first half action and it has to be said it was a result to go in only One down, it had been obvious from a very early stage that the 3-5-2 was not working and something had to change, Kenlock had been ripped a new arsehole while the game had kind of passed Nydam by, Sears too had for me struggled to get into the game while Garner was starved of much service although he had still worked his butt off, it was crying out for Didsy/Waghorn/Celina and we got our wish.

The second half was a complete contrast, for the opening 25 minutes at least. Didsy & Waghorn replaced Kenlock & Nydam and from the off it was a rejuvenated Town team, suddenly we looked sharp, the passes were finding their man and it was Barnsley being pushed back with Town now deploying 4-4-2. The first chance fell to Didsy who weaved his way through a cluster of defenders but their keeper was alert to it and blocked before he could get a proper shot away, Sears was next to see his effort blocked but we did not have to wait too much longer to get level. As with the Birmingham game it was Knudsen who got forward down the left and put in a pinpoint cross from which Didsy despatched it into the net with a well controlled volley, the Town fans behind that goal erupted as the players celebrated in front of us, game on !! Town continued to take the game to our hosts and with 20 minutes to go we went ahead. McGoldricks brilliant back heeled flick found Garner who threaded a neat ball through to Waghorn and the new striker did the rest, bringing the ball forward before firing home off the inside of the post with the keeper rooted to the spot, if the celebrations were big after our first these ones were unreal, wild jubilation to put it mildly.

Whether we decided to shut up shop or whether Barnsley went for it I don't know but we seemed to let them back into into once we went ahead and the final 15 minutes had us all on edge and biting our nails with Barnsley getting forward time and time again, thankfully much of what they did didn't threaten and with our captain fantastic throwing his body in front of shots on Three occasions we were hanging on, Chambo really did have a superb second half. Bart was called upon to pull off another good save as a ball was fired in from the edge of the box but it was Town who saw it through to claim a deserved win on the back of our second half showing. Mick is often accused of having no plan B, well he did yesterday and he got it bang on, the changes of formation and personnel at HT won the game and for that he has to be applauded, of course we got it wrong from the start but we showed character again yesterday to dig in and grind out a win when last season we would have lost 0-3.

Bart will no doubt get top marks for his saves that kept us alive but there were also solid performances from Iorfa who was very good first half before fading after the break, Skuse put in a solid no nonsense 90 minutes while Downes again looked impressive before limping off with a knee problem, we hope that is not serious, Didsy & Waghorn changed the game while garner was a real pest all afternoon and made the crucial block on the line at 0-1. At the back Chambers had a superb second half and marshelled the troops fantastically well and again Knudsen came up trumps with another vital assist just when we needed it.

Bart (8) Iorfa (7) Spence (6) Chambers (7) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (4) Downes (6) Nydam (5) Skuse (7) Garner (6) Sears (6)

SUBS :- Didsy (7) Waghorn(7) McDonnell (5)

Unbeaten in Three and joint top of the League, through to the second round of the cup and still loads of players to come back, we have reasons to be cheerful but we also need to greatly improve on our first half showing yesterday, this team has far more resolve and belief than last season and it showed as we battled back. A fantastic day out with AylesburyBlue, HallamBlue & Mach, thanks for the great company and well done to the 900+ Town fans, no word of a lie we sang from the first minute to the last, I have no voice today but it was worth it. Next up Millwall and why not another three points ??? COYB'S.
Last edited by Bluemike on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:35 am

Charnwood wrote:Any thoughts why Celina and McGoldrick didn't start today, in fact Celina had no game time whatsoever, is he carrying an injury or is he going to be one that McCarthy doesn't like and rarely uses, if so maybe he'll get recalled by Man City?
I don't think there is any great mystery to it Andy, I just think Mick wanted to stick with the guys who won against Birmingham, Celina will no doubt have a big part to play for us this season. There are a lot of games to come.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 am

A great result and after only 3 games the whole vibe has changed already from the end of last season. I do have one question for those who attend the games: From all reports I have read so far this season we have had average to bad first halves and improved second halves. Is there any trend here? Why would that be? It's great to see that Mick regularly implements a plan B but what about all of the plan A's - were they all wrong?

Also a bit worried to hear that now both Webster & Smith will be out for 8 weeks. We are definitely short now at CB.

Still as Mach said, it's the points that matter come the season end and that's another three in the bag and a maximum so far. No reason we can't extend it to 3 at Millwall on the next leg of the McCarthy nostalgia tour.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:00 am

bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Any thoughts why Celina and McGoldrick didn't start today, in fact Celina had no game time whatsoever, is he carrying an injury or is he going to be one that McCarthy doesn't like and rarely uses, if so maybe he'll get recalled by Man City?
I don't think there is any great mystery to it Andy, I just think Mick wanted to stick with the guys who won against Birmingham, Celina will no doubt have a big part to play for us this season. There are a lot of games to come.

Hard to criticise the manager after 3 wins from 3 played, but I just have a small worry that MM has a tendancy to have favourites and players he doesn't like. I'm just hoping that the talented Bersant Celina doesn't fall in the second category as I think he has a lot to offer.

I've not seen Tom Adeyemi's name mentioned anywhere either, is he injured or just not on the scene yet?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 am

I think MM really likes Celina by the way he has bigged him up but he has been laid low with Two bugs and maybe that has something to do with it ?

As for Adeyemi, by all accounts he has been poleaxed with the same bug but been in a bad way, Mick has stated he is hopeful that Adeyemi & Huws could be about when we go to palace but failing that definitely after the international break.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

bluemike wrote:The Tractor Rolls on, another fantastic day out and by the end of it a superb result and another Three precious points but as Mach has said not without some big scares along the way, I agree with most of Mach's comments although One or two I saw slightly differently.

" A Game of Two Halves" is a saying use so often in football and this was a classic example of that, following our impressive opening Two games we headed to Barnsley with much expectation and saw it as a chance to carry the feelgood factor on against a team who many feel may struggle this time. What we witnessed in the opening 45 minutes was anything but impressive, from the off we just failed to get into our stride, our play was so disjointed and laboured and certain players had a mare. By contrast barnsley got at us from the off and Bart was called into action on several occasions, albeit fairly routine saves at this stage, Garner managed a weak header in the early stages which was all Town mustered before barnsley took a deserved lead in the 15th minute, Hedges somewhat fortuitous overhead kick fell perfectly for Bradshaw at the back post who had the simplest job of heading home with Bart stranded and the defence all at sea. The Town defence had been all over the place and this was set to continue throughout almost all the first half. Where I do disagree with Mach is that I didn't think MM had set us up for digging out a point at all, I think as MM said we got totally outdone by the formation they set up with and our 3-5-2 was not working against it, it was true in that our Wing backs were constantly being doubled up on and getting overrun particularly Kenlock who it has to be said was struggling big time, to his credit Iorfa was a real threat going forward and was the outlet for all Town's first half attacks, unfortunately most of his good work fell down with the final ball etc as we just weren't getting players on the end of anything.

It could have got much worse for Town when Joe garner blocked Hammill's effort on the line, Twon had got a little bit more into it but despite reatining the ball and moving forward more chances were at a premium, in fact there really weren't any !! As the half came to a close it was bart to the rescue again with a superb double save when Barnsley should really have scored the second, the first effort saw the big man get down well to save only for the Town defence to fail to clear and the second strike saw our keeper get his big hands to it to palm it round for a corner. That was the end of the first half action and it has to be said it was a result to go in only One down, it had been obvious from a very early stage that the 3-5-2 was not working and something had to change, Kenlock had been ripped a new arsehole while the game had kind of passed Nydam by, Sears too had for me struggled to get into the game while Garner was starved of much service although he had still worked his butt off, it was crying out for Didsy/Waghorn/Celina and we got our wish.

The second half was a complete contrast, for the opening 25 minutes at least. Didsy & Waghorn replaced Kenlock & Nydam and from the off it was a rejuvenated Town team, suddenly we looked sharp, the passes were finding their man and it was Barnsley being pushed back with Town now deploying 4-4-2. The first chance fell to Didsy who weaved his way through a cluster of defenders but their keeper was alert to it and blocked before he could get a proper shot away, Sears was next to see his effort blocked but we did not have to wait too much longer to get level. As with the Birmingham game it was Knudsen who got forward down the left and put in a pinpoint cross from which Didsy despatched it into the net with a well controlled volley, the Town fans behind that goal erupted as the players celebrated in front of us, game on !! Town continued to take the game to our hosts and with 20 minutes to go we went ahead. McGoldricks brilliant back heeled flick found Garner who threaded a neat ball through to Waghorn and the new striker did the rest, bringing the ball forward before firing home off the inside of the post with the keeper rooted to the spot, if the celebrations were big after our first these ones were unreal, wild jubilation to put it mildly.

Whether we decided to shut up shop or whether Barnsley went for it I don't know but we seemed to let them back into into once we went ahead and the final 15 minutes had us all on edge and biting our nails with Barnsley getting forward time and time again, thankfully much of what they did didn't threaten and with our captain fantastic throwing his body in front of shots on Three occasions we were hanging on, Chambo really did have a superb second half. Bart was called upon to pull off another good save as a ball was fired in from the edge of the box but it was Town who saw it through to claim a deserved win on the back of our second half showing. Mick is often accused of having no plan B, well he did yesterday and he got it bang on, the changes of formation and personnel at HT won the game and for that he has to be applauded, of course we got it wrong from the start but we showed character again yesterday to dig in and grind out a win when last season we would have lost 0-3.

Bart will no doubt get top marks for his saves that kept us alive but there were also solid performances from Iorfa who was very good first half before fading after the break, Skuse put in a solid no nonsense 90 minutes while Downes again looked impressive before limping off with a knee problem, we hope that is not serious, Didsy & Waghorn changed the game while garner was a real pest all afternoon and made the crucial block on the line at 0-1. At the back Chambers had a superb second half and marshelled the troops fantastically well and again Knudsen came up trumps with another vital assist just when we needed it.

Bart (8) Iorfa (7) Spence (6) Chambers (7) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (4) Downes (6) Nydam (5) Skuse (7) Garner (6) Sears (6)

SUBS :- Didsy (7) Waghorn(7) McDonnell (5)

Unbeaten in Three and joint top of the League, through to the second round of the cup and still loads of players to come back, we have reasons to be cheerful but we also need to greatly improve on our first half showing yesterday, this team has far more resolve and belief than last season and it showed as we battled back. A fantastic day out with AylesburyBlue, HallamBlue & Mach, thanks for the great company and well done to the 900+ Town fans, no word of a lie we sang from the first minute to the last, I have no voice today but it was worth it. Next up Millwall and why not another three points ??? COYB'S.
Because I'm going! :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

bluemike wrote:I think MM really likes Celina by the way he has bigged him up but he has been laid low with Two bugs and maybe that has something to do with it ?

As for Adeyemi, by all accounts he has been poleaxed with the same bug but been in a bad way, Mick has stated he is hopeful that Adeyemi & Huws could be about when we go to palace but failing that definitely after the international break.

Thanks for the info Mike, it really is appreciated as are the match reports. I know it's early days but it does feel good to be a Town fan at the moment, let's hope it lasts.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I have seen Barnsley play many times.(I worked installing lockers in the mines...during college break)..never seen them win.Ferocious nights out on the Sheffield Rd.I will go to Nodge and support them..fingers X or whatever the bird pluckers do up there.