Barnsley vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An away win to round off a great 1st week?

Barnsley Win
14%
Ipswich Win
71%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

phily bon bon

Re: Barnsley vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Plenty of time to turn things around. COYBS

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:20 pm

1 down.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Half an hour gone. Barnsley have had 14 shots, 5on target. We've had 2 shots, 0 on target. Jesus.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Andym wrote:Half an hour gone. Barnsley have had 14 shots, 5on target. We've had 2 shots, 0 on target. Jesus.
Is he on the bench?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Watching this on iFollow.

Could have been 2 down but for a Bart double-save just before half-time. But shaky at the back.

Iorfa is the stand out player for me for the first half. Really finding some space down the right flank. Just his final ball needs working on. Not much for Garns and Sears up front.

Downes first instinct is to move it forward and he's not afraid to mix it. Very refreshing. Barnsley deserve first half lead and we're fortunate we're just one down.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Andym wrote:Half an hour gone. Barnsley have had 14 shots, 5on target. We've had 2 shots, 0 on target. Jesus.
Is he on the bench?
Think he's in goal. I saw a sign outside a church that said "Jesus saves."

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:
Is he on the bench?
Think he's in goal. I saw a sign outside a church that said "Jesus saves."
He's not in our goal then :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Terrible half, haven't turned up, 3-5-2 not working must change it. Kenlock all over the place as is Knudsen, Sears poor, changes needed, at least it's only 1-0 when it could easily be 3-0. Iorfa by far the best player for us.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Get IN!!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:17 pm

w00p w00p

cmob boyz

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 pm

GET IN!! Waghorn!

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 pm

yesss FAP FAP FAP FAPPFAPFPAPFPAFPAPF

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm

FT 2-1 Town get in there COYB

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Great result 3 games & 3 wins :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 pm

What a start!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

Smith is out injured for 6-8 weeks as he did his hamstring in training yesterday so reckon we will be looking for some cover now.
Downes went off injured hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm

I predicted 2-1

to Barnsley

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Much better in the second half.

Didsy added class

A very good assist from Knudsen. Bombed down the wing to get in a good position and sent over decent ball for Didsy.

Waghorn took his goal well. Nice touch from Didsy and a peach of a pass from Garns, I think, and Waghorn kept his composure and wrong-footed the keeper.

Hope Downes is OK. He at least walked of. Seems like a natural at this level.

Could have lost this in the first half, but the team seems like it's got character.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:39 pm

Andym wrote:I predicted 2-1

to Barnsley

:lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:41 pm

I think we're playing to win...finally! Well done, lads! COYB!!!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:58 pm

looking forward to Bluemike`s review.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Brilliant come back from a goal down away from home. Alas no clean sheet but a win is a win. The lads showed real character to dig deep and keep going, seems like we have a little strength in depth from the bench.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Very good away win and very much looking forward to an in depth analysis of the ITFC defence. Saw 5:54 of highlights and the defence looks ropey as fk. They look a fkn massive disaster waiting to happen. Jaysus H, a more clinical team will put 4 or 5 past them. Thank God for Barnsleys inaccuracies.

This was Knudsen seconds before they scored.......,

But very well taken goals by the lads, especially Waghorn...... that needed finished and he made it look easy.

Great away win for the Wolves as well, Wolfie. Derby are the most confusing club in the league. Must be highly frustrating supporting that club.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:24 pm

When a team plays bad and still wins that`s a sign of a good team is it not? :?
Love the Knudsen pic Marko .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm not knocking the team, honest, and yes it's a very good away win like I said. But with the headless chickens worth of defending in 5:54 of footage...... I'm very interested to read how they faired over the 90.

Did you see knudsen for their goal? Rooted, watching the day go by. Straight out of the Tommy Smith book of defending.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:58 pm

marko69 wrote:Very good away win and very much looking forward to an in depth analysis of the ITFC defence. Saw 5:54 of highlights and the defence looks ropey as fk. They look a fkn massive disaster waiting to happen. Jaysus H, a more clinical team will put 4 or 5 past them. Thank God for Barnsleys inaccuracies.

This was Knudsen seconds before they scored.......,

But very well taken goals by the lads, especially Waghorn...... that needed finished and he made it look easy.

Great away win for the Wolves as well, Wolfie. Derby are the most confusing club in the league. Must be highly frustrating supporting that club.

A great day again for all our clubs mate, what a victory you had at Rangers, its been years since I've seen such quality at Wolves, and I think there's even better to come, (fingers crossed behind my back)

still joined at the hip.

Hibernian...pl 2..won 2...pts 6
Ipswich.....pl 2..won 2...Pts 6
Wolves......pl 2..won 2...Pts 6

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes, was a bit spicy @ Ibrox today, buddy. We had to be kept in the stadium for 20 minutes after the final whistle to let the angry Glasgow bstds disperse! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:20 pm

marko69 wrote:Yes, was a bit spicy @ Ibrox today, buddy. We had to be kept in the stadium for 20 minutes after the final whistle to let the angry Glasgow bstds disperse! :lol:

you'd think they would know there place in Scottish football by now eh, just behind Third Lanark, EXTINCT :lol:

Enjoy. truly amazing sight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3b_lw7t2TE

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm

The match of two contrasting halves. A pile of emotions, from frustation to elation.

We had been terrible for almost entire first half however it is hardly surprising given McCarthy's stupid approach. Three centre backs with two deep sitting midfielders was a clear indication that McCarthy wanted a point and that was his prime target. With seemingly rigid defence Barnsley should have had a tough task to do. Unfortunately from the first whistle we were under the cosh particularly first 15 minutes. First notable moment from us was an eye-catching tackle from Skuse after which the ball was despatched towards Sears but nothing came from it at the end.

We did sit deeply and allowed them a lot. Very annoying given apparent lack of quality in the Barnsley team. Good form of Bialkowski + off the line Garner's clearance helped us a lot but Barnsley finally got the goal which they deserved. However the manner in which we conceded that was infuriating. If we continue to defend like we did at that moment we'll be in a relegation trouble. Bradshaw's header from such close range ought to have been easily avoided.

The rest of the first half was a mix of us having a better possession at times and resorting to stupid pointless long balls. Not criticising our young midfielders Downes and Nydam as they were knuckling down and working hard but there was an easily visible lack of link-up between midfield and strikers. Same old McCarthy.

Iorfa was by far our best player in the first half as he was the solitary one who offered a bit of threat. Many crosses into their box but unfortunately some of them were wasteful due to lack of many Town players in that area. Kenlock was a complete opposite. He still has a lot to learn as he was abject. Not even a single cross and struggling throughout. His first touch also very poor as the ball bounced off him once after receiving a good pass from Iorfa.

Bluemike asked me if I'd take a point. I said no even though we were losing as Barnsley are a young team and lost some important players this summer.

Last 5 minutes of the first half we were in trouble again and then came a moment in which Bart saved us a match. Outstanding double save, especially the first one when one on one with Moncur.

It wasn't a rocket science that changes had to be made at half time. Kenlock was an obvious one that had to be taken off. McGoldrick and Waghorn + system's alteration. It perfectly paid off in the second half.

Different team from the beginning. McGoldrick's chance which was saved by Davies was followed by Sears whose shot was blocked by their defender. Town travelling party were getting noisier as they were buoyed and encouraged. And we quickly got reward by McGoldrick's volley and once again as it was the case last week it came from the Knudsen's cross. Nice volley which landed in their net.

Unfortunately our attacking impact faded after the goal and that was disappointing. The team seemed content with the point as it was the Barnsley team who tried to threaten us but once again I'll say they clearly lacked a quality. A counter attack was the only hope for us to grab the winning goal as we stopped playing in the way in which we started the second half. And all of sudden we got it. McGoldrick's pass from his heel to Garner and the latter played the ball into Waghorn's path. Another good goal followed by big celebration in our end.

McDonnell who replaced injured Downes sat deeply alongside Skuse and last 10 minutes was mostly hanging on from us. We aren't usually good at that but we somehow got away today. Chambers' impressive block helped once but our back formation could have cost us a game 5 minutes from time. Barnsley had a corner and one of their players was left completely unmarked in the box. A freedom of space and time but Bialkowski saved us again. That was the last scary moment for us.

Mix of emotions today, some disappointing aspects but it's all overshadowed by what is most important in the football match. It's 3 points, it's a win no matter how it's achieved. Given peoples elation and celebration after our goals makes us feel so proud that we support such wonderful football club. The circumstances in which we won the match today are the reason why we have to enjoy it and celebrate wherever we can.

Pluses:
1. McGoldrick. The pure gem when fit and he has to start every game. I don't get it why he started on the bench again.
2. The necessary change of the personnel and system at half time
3. Iorfa in the wing back role. Some cracking crosses and runs
4. Chambers - the colossal figure in the defence
5. Going to sound somewhat stupid but it is Barnsley having lead 1-0 at half time. It enforced McCarthy to make changes and show some attacking impact. Had it been 0-0 or 1-1 at half time I believe he would have stuck in the same system in second half and played for a point.
6. Garner - real nuisance for their defence
7. Our support and celebrations.

Minuses:
1. Playing negatively in the first half. I know we have loads of injured midfielders but our arguably most attacking threat sat on the bench.
2. McCarthy. People will say he deserves a credit for the changes he made. Right but why starting so cautiously against such average/poor opposition? Why do we have to wait for something bad to happen to take some action? He isn't going to change his ways unfortunately.
3. Kenlock - very poor in the first half and has the day to forget.
4. Downes and Nydam playing together. Two inexperienced midfielders playing together isn't good for us. One of them is absolutely fine though at the moment.
5. Sears having played on the wing in the second half. Where was Celina? Why having been kept on the bench?

Such a pleasure to see my Blue family after the summer break !!!

As it was the case at Barnsley last March I had a bit of spare time before my train arrival. Was among our group of fans who themselves waited for the players. And once again I had a brief chat with Bart. Thanked him for his massive save at the end of first half, he said with a smile that was his job. I also jokingly asked him if there was a Premier League who wanted him in this transfer window. His answer, the tone of it and his face expression struck me somewhat. He said to me: 'I don't know what is going to happen but I don't want to hear about any offer as I genuinely feel so well at Ipswich'. We also spoke about McGoldrick and his second half contribution. When I told Bart that Didsy seems susceptible to the injuries he somewhat disagreed with me. He's said that Didsy has an extremely bad luck.

All that matters is a win. Good day out.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:The match of two contrasting halves. A pile of emotions, from frustation to elation.

We had been terrible for almost entire first half however it is hardly surprising given McCarthy's stupid approach. Three centre backs with two deep sitting midfielders was a clear indication that McCarthy wanted a point and that was his prime target. With seemingly rigid defence Barnsley should have had a tough task to do. Unfortunately from the first whistle we were under the cosh particularly first 15 minutes. First notable moment from us was an eye-catching tackle from Skuse after which the ball was despatched towards Sears but nothing came from it at the end.

We did sit deeply and allowed them a lot. Very annoying given apparent lack of quality in the Barnsley team. Good form of Bialkowski + off the line Garner's clearance helped us a lot but Barnsley finally got the goal which they deserved. However the manner in which we conceded that was infuriating. If we continue to defend like we did at that moment we'll be in a relegation trouble. Bradshaw's header from such close range ought to have been easily avoided.

The rest of the first half was a mix of us having a better possession at times and resorting to stupid pointless long balls. Not criticising our young midfielders Downes and Nydam as they were knuckling down and working hard but there was an easily visible lack of link-up between midfield and strikers. Same old McCarthy.

Iorfa was by far our best player in the first half as he was the solitary one who offered a bit of threat. Many crosses into their box but unfortunately some of them were wasteful due to lack of many Town players in that area. Kenlock was a complete opposite. He still has a lot to learn as he was abject. Not even a single cross and struggling throughout. His first touch also very poor as the ball bounced off him once after receiving a good pass from Iorfa.

Bluemike asked me if I'd take a point. I said no even though we were losing as Barnsley are a young team and lost some important players this summer.

Last 5 minutes of the first half we were in trouble again and then came a moment in which Bart saved us a match. Outstanding double save, especially the first one when one on one with Moncur.

It wasn't a rocket science that changes had to be made at half time. Kenlock was an obvious one that had to be taken off. McGoldrick and Waghorn + system's alteration. It perfectly paid off in the second half.

Different team from the beginning. McGoldrick's chance which was saved by Davies was followed by Sears whose shot was blocked by their defender. Town travelling party were getting noisier as they were buoyed and encouraged. And we quickly got reward by McGoldrick's volley and once again as it was the case last week it came from the Knudsen's cross. Nice volley which landed in their net.

Unfortunately our attacking impact faded after the goal and that was disappointing. The team seemed content with the point as it was the Barnsley team who tried to threaten us but once again I'll say they clearly lacked a quality. A counter attack was the only hope for us to grab the winning goal as we stopped playing in the way in which we started the second half. And all of sudden we got it. McGoldrick's pass from his heel to Garner and the latter played the ball into Waghorn's path. Another good goal followed by big celebration in our end.

McDonnell who replaced injured Downes sat deeply alongside Skuse and last 10 minutes was mostly hanging on from us. We aren't usually good at that but we somehow got away today. Chambers' impressive block helped once but our back formation could have cost us a game 5 minutes from time. Barnsley had a corner and one of their players was left completely unmarked in the box. A freedom of space and time but Bialkowski saved us again. That was the last scary moment for us.

Mix of emotions today, some disappointing aspects but it's all overshadowed by what is most important in the football match. It's 3 points, it's a win no matter how it's achieved. Given peoples elation and celebration after our goals makes us feel so proud that we support such wonderful football club. The circumstances in which we won the match today are the reason why we have to enjoy it and celebrate wherever we can.

Pluses:
1. McGoldrick. The pure gem when fit and he has to start every game. I don't get it why he started on the bench again.
2. The necessary change of the personnel and system at half time
3. Iorfa in the wing back role. Some cracking crosses and runs
4. Chambers - the colossal figure in the defence
5. Going to sound somewhat stupid but it is Barnsley having lead 1-0 at half time. It enforced McCarthy to make changes and show some attacking impact. Had it been 0-0 or 1-1 at half time I believe he would have stuck in the same system in second half and played for a point.
6. Garner - real nuisance for their defence
7. Our support and celebrations.

Minuses:
1. Playing negatively in the first half. I know we have loads of injured midfielders but our arguably most attacking threat sat on the bench.
2. McCarthy. People will say he deserves a credit for the changes he made. Right but why starting so cautiously against such average/poor opposition? Why do we have to wait for something bad to happen to take some action? He isn't going to change his ways unfortunately.
3. Kenlock - very poor in the first half and has the day to forget.
4. Downes and Nydam playing together. Two inexperienced midfielders playing together isn't good for us. One of them is absolutely fine though at the moment.
5. Sears having played on the wing in the second half. Where was Celina? Why having been kept on the bench?

Such a pleasure to see my Blue family after the summer break !!!

As it was the case at Barnsley last March I had a bit of spare time before my train arrival. Was among our group of fans who themselves waited for the players. And once again I had a brief chat with Bart. Thanked him for his massive save at the end of first half, he said with a smile that was his job. I also jokingly asked him if there was a Premier League who wanted him in this transfer window. His answer, the tone of it and his face expression struck me somewhat. He said to me: 'I don't know what is going to happen but I don't want to hear about any offer as I genuinely feel so well at Ipswich'. We also spoke about McGoldrick and his second half contribution. When I told Bart that Didsy seems susceptible to the injuries he somewhat disagreed with me. He's said that Didsy has an extremely bad luck.

All that matters is a win. Good day out.

great read Mach.but Can you keep to the thread topic, its the Hibernian and Wolves thread. :wink: