Millwall vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

9 points from 9 to start the season off?

Millwall Win
15%
Ipswich Win
54%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Millwall vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am

Image Millwall v Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 15th August 2017 - 19:45

The Den

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

I believe I am right in saying it is something like Fifteen years since we managed to win our opening Three League games at the start of the season but that is the scenario we are faced with following our victory at Barnsley on Saturday. As I said after the Birmingham win it wasn't vintage Ipswich by any stretch of the imagination but what it was was the Mick McCarthy Ipswich of old, no soft under belly, instead a resiliant, never say die attitude backed up with no shortage of guts and determination to get a positive outcome from a game that last season would without any doubt have been lost. After a terrible first half it was to Mick's credit that he changed it around, got the substitutions spot on as well as the new formation and laid to rest the theory that we never have a plan B, watching us take the game to Barnsley for Twenty Five minutes confirmed my early season belief that this Town team will be a different proposition to that of last season, and still we have over half a team out and unavailable to us, as frustrating as that is it really does auger well for the long battle ahead. Much has been said among Town fans as to why we did not start with Didsy & Waghorn from the off and while I would loved to have seen it too I kinda get why Mick went with the same team that beat Birmingham on the opening day, with the exception of Grant Ward of course, he will no doubt swap it around when he feels the need but after an opening day win ? No I don't think that would have been appropriate. Of course he now has the same dilemma because we struggled in the first half at Oakwell and certain players may be looking over their shoulders regarding Tuesday night, Didsy is on fire and Waghorn proved straight away that he knows where the goal is so they have laid down a marker for sure. The injuries continue to mount up and Tommy Smith (8 weeks) and Adam Webster (4 weeks) has MM saying we need to strengthen and to be honest getting these injuries so early in the season may just have done us a favour because without them we would have gone into the season with what we have so to bring another body in will only make us stronger, right now it is a case of watch this space.

Dubai asked a good question after the Barnsley win, why is it we appear to be finding it tough in the first half of games but finding a plan B and turning things around ? It is a good question and one which I have no answer to at this time, of course it could just simply be a case of first day nerves against the Brum with a few cobwebs needing to be brushed away while at Oakwell we got the formation wrong and were being overrun in certain areas, it will be interesting to see if the trend continues at Millwall, it makes life so much easier to get off to a good start and to find that footing in a game, having to adjust tactics and come from behind is not something we want to have to keep relying on but equally it is good to know we are capable of changing things should the need arise, despite the squad size being smaller I feel we have numerous players that can play different positions without looking out of place and that is a good thing to have in your Arsenal and sees us, in my view at least, much stronger than last season.

The games are coming thick and fast and the next stop sees us visit that lovely family club situated in Bermondsay, East London, yes it's Millwall. The Lions are back up from League One after May's Play Off final success, and I could not be happier.....NOT !! So far they have taken a single point from their opening Two games, which by all accounts could have been more as they were robbed of a perfectly good goal against Forest on the opening weekend and it sounds as if they bossed Bolton on Saturday, they've also matched Town by progressing to the second round of the Carabao Cup following a comfortable 2-0 win at over Stevenage. We all know The New Den is at best a hostile place to visit and they are no mugs on their own patch, their hopes of survival will very much depend on their home form and they will view this as the type of game that they really must take points from. Looking at the teams on paper I do feel it is what we do that counts, biased I might be but we appear to have the better players, providing of course they play to their capability, we have our tails up and confidence is sky high so we can go into the game with belief that the run can continue, I must admit I am concerned that at some point the injury list will bite us on the bum, at the time of writing it is unclear as to how young Flynn Downes is or if Grant Ward is fit to return, we really need at least one of these ready to play Tuesday if at all possible. it is a game we can win, of that there is no doubt, would I take a point before kick off ? You bet I would. COYB'S.

The Opposition - Millwall

Millwall Rovers were formed by the workers of J.T. Morton's canning and preserve factory in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in London's East End in 1885.

In April 1889, a resolution was passed for Millwall to drop 'Rovers' from their name and they were now playing under the name Millwall Athletic, inspired by their move to their new home The Athletic Grounds. Millwall Athletic reached the FA Cup semi-finals in 1900 and 1903.

Millwall moved to a new stadium, named The Den, in New Cross, South London in 1910.

Millwall, who had now also dropped 'Athletic' from its name, were invited to join the Football League in 1920 for the 1920–21 season through the creation of the new Football League Third Division.

In the 1925–26 season Millwall had 11 consecutive clean sheets, a Football League record, which they hold jointly with York City and Reading.

In the 1927–28 season Millwall won the Third Division South title and scored 87 goals at home in the league, an English record which still stands.

Millwall were the tenth best supported team in England in the pre-war years, despite languishing in the Third Division for most of the 1930s. Millwall were one of the most financially wealthy clubs in England.

The loss of so many young men during the Second World War made it difficult for clubs to retain their former status. This was especially true for Millwall, who appeared to suffer more than most. From being one of the country's biggest clubs before the war, Millwall were reduced to one of its smallest afterward.

During the late 1950s and early 1960s Millwall's form was poor, and they were relegated into (and became a founding member of) Division Four.

Later in the decade, Millwall established a record of 59 home games without defeat (43 wins and 16 draws) from 22 August 1964 to 14 January 1967. During this spell, Millwall played 55 different teams, kept 35 clean sheets, scored 112 goals and conceded 33. The record was eventually broken by Liverpool.

Millwall missed out on promotion to Division One by one point. By remaining unbeaten at home in Division Two for the 1971–72 season, Millwall became the only club to go through an entire season without losing a match at home in four different divisions Millwall hosted the first game to be played on a Sunday against Fulham.

George Graham managed Millwall from 1983 to 1986, and during that time he guided the club to a Football League Group Cup win.

John Docherty In his second season as manager, Millwall won the Second Division championship and gained promotion to the top flight of English football for the first time in the club's history in 1988 where they stayed until the 1990 season.

Mick McCarthy guided Millwall to third place in the new Division One at the end of the 1993–94 season, and then went on to manage the Irish National team. Tthis was their first season at a new ground, at first known as The New Den.

In 1997 the club experienced severe financial difficulties that resulted in them being placed in financial administration and eventually falling to the old Division 2 until 2001 when they were promoted back to the Championship.

Between 2005 & 2006 Millwall had 6 managers come and go, ending back down in League 1 in the process. In 2010 they gained promotion back to the Championship via a Webley playoff final.

Kenny Jackett celebrated five years in charge of the club in November 2012, including a 13-game unbeaten run and flirting with the play-offs, however Millwall finished poorly, narrowly avoiding relegation on the last day of the season. Their poor league form coincided with reaching the semi-final of the FA Cup for the fifth time in their history. Kenny Jackett resigned on 7 May 2013. He was Millwall's fourth-longest serving manager.

After a month of searching, Millwall appointed Steve Lomas as their new manager on 6 June 2013. Millwall sacked Lomas on 26 December 2013, after winning only five of his 22 games in charge. Neil Harris and youth team coach Scott Fitzgerald took over as joint caretaker-managers. Millwall appointed Ian Holloway as their new manager on 6 January 2014, with the club sitting 21st in the table. He was given the priority of maintaining their Football League Championship status, which he achieved.

The following season, Holloway was sacked on 10 March 2015 with the team second from bottom in the Championship, and Neil Harris was reinstated as caretaker manager until the end of the season. He was unable to ensure survival, however, as Millwall's relegation to League One was confirmed on 28 April. Harris was confirmed as Millwall's permanent manager the next day. In his first full season in charge, Harris led Millwall to a fourth-place finish in League One and a play-off final at Wembley, which the Lions lost to Barnsley.

In the 2016–17 FA Cup, Millwall reached the Quarter-finals for the ninth time in their history, knocking out Premier League opposition in three consecutive rounds.

Millwall made it to the League One play-off final at Wembley for the second successive year. They were promoted back to the Championship following a 1–0 playoff final victory over Bradford City.

The Manager – Neil Harris

Past Match Video - Trev

Another away win like this and we will all be happy (Jan. 2015)!

Media Watch – K L Blue

Stuart Watson on the Fans and Club re-connecting

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5146505

MM on Injuries

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2017/august ... -injuries/

MM On impact by Subs

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32058

Waghorn hits the ground running

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32059

Loan Watch, Kiefer Moore

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32060

Form Guide

Millwall Last 5 Matches - Currently in 17th place with 1 point

Millwall FC 1-1 Bolton Wanderers

Millwall FC 2-0 Stevenage FC

Nottingham F. 1-0 Millwall FC

Millwall FC 3-0 Granada CF

Stevenage FC 0-0 Millwall FC

Ipswich Last 5 Matches - Currently in 4th place with 6 points

Barnsley 1-2 Ipswich Town

Luton Town 0-2 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-0 Birmingham City

Charlton Athletic 6-1 Ipswich Town

Colchester Utd 0-1 Ipswich Town

Fixtures of Interest

CARDIFF VS SHEFF. UTD

HULL VS WOLVES

NORWICH VS QPR (WEDNESDAY)

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

The Michael Parkinson captions were superb Excellent stuff. The first league table will be posted after this Millwall caption, (in the Brentford preview)

Have a go at this, I have decided to have a óne off' midweek Caption contest as it's a crime not to take the p*ss out of Millwall!

Millwall fans invading the pitch ............ what a surprise!

Match Referee – James Linington

MILLWALL 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Millwall vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am

Excellent preview as always. And not good that it's unclear on the severity of young Downes injury. Hoping it's not too serious and he's back on the pitch for this encounter.

And they should change that sign above the bridge and make it more accurate.
"Welcome to the New Den"
"Home of Millwall Football Club"
"BEKO. Home of tumble dryers with faulty parts that need recalled."

Made a decision after Saturday to NOT predict these ITFC results. So far predicted draw with Brum and defeat at Barnsley, both wrong. Predicting a positive win will result in another outcome, such is my jinx bstd, superstitious mind. No ITFC predictions for the remainder of the season. Play well, that's all that one can ask. And to the travelling fans, enjoy and stay sober.

Ref caption:
Player: Come on, ref. Don't be a TOTAL w@nker, man.
Ref: What did you say?
Player: You're being a to$$er, mate.
Ref: Apologise now.
Player: Listen to the Fans. You're the only one wearing black. Coincidence? I think not.
Ref: That's it. It's finished. My ball. Game over.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 am

Caption:

"Hey Fatboy ...... You distract security while I have a go at nicking the entire away goal posts and net"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:25 am

And err, I forgot that this was a Tuesday game, thought it was Saturday, that's why there is caption words there. Have a go in the one and only midweek caption, and make it the Millwall fan wearing pink and holding up two hands. Very intrigued to know what you all think he is saying.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 am

AND use that photo that Frosty has just posted. :lol:

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 am

Caption ' come on lads I'm sure one of us can find our (estranged) biological fathers in that stand'

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 am

CAPTION..."f*ck me I never thought you would find Three wise men in Millwall"

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 am

Great preview again. But I would definitely not settle for a point beforehand. I know that technically it would be an okay result at the New Den but I think that this season whilst things look better, we have to admit that we are a bit behind the big hitters in depth and maybe quality. What we have right now, and it can count for a lot in football where belief can overturn what looks like statistical advantage, is inertia. I think Mick needs to keep the victory wagon rolling if at all possible and come out all guns blazing.

This might be a good game to start Celina if he is fully fit.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:24 am

captoin " cmon giv were just checking the goal is safe " after all we are from Selhurst Timber Merchants

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm

We will keep on winning 2-0 to town

Caption - Millwalls version of the Haka receives little respect from the wise stewards

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Caption Comp : Morecambe fans do a runner Stewards say it was a WISE move .

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Caption comp;
I demand more pies.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Caption: Fatboy to steward. Don't have a go at me, when I told him to go to the bar I mean't the one at the back of the stand.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

We won our first league game by scoring with our first shot on target after about 50 minutes.
We won our second league game with 2 goals from our only 2 shots on target.

The defence scares me to death...Barnsley had 25 shots, 10 on target despite us playing a back 5 and 2 defensive midfielders.

Sooner or later a team is going to rip us apart. I know I'm a miserable, pessimistic old b*stard, but we cannot keep winning without hitting the target and relying on Bart to save the barrage coming the other way.

With the injuries we have, I'll go for 3-0 Millwall.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Not so much of the old Andy !! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Good to see that Grant Ward is available tomorrow and that young Flynn Downes is only a doubt for tomorrow so nothing serious there, Huws & Adeyemi both closing in on a return after the Palace game and Hyam actually playing 45 minutes today, we just need to get through the next 3 games as best we can.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Andy, you don't need to keep on bringing yourself down about being pessimistic,...... I watched six minutes and I think you may be totally correct. Defensively it was horrific. Like I said, headless chickens they looked like. In fact, after hearing the result, I should've just left it at that....... watching the highlights made me think what you are saying, "a hammering on the horizon"...... it's not being negative, it's an opinion based on the reality of what was witnessed. YES, there were no doubt some neat passages of defending, but it definitely looked like, when under the cosh, it gets a bit ropey. AND it was only Barnsley. Other top six contenders may just take loads more advantage than what Barnsley did.

BUT........ it's the start of the season....... these guys watch hours of footage as well as do the training so hopefully Mick & Co are working on what they can do to make things look a bit more assured on the park. Yes ok, you can't get more assured than 3 wins out of 3, but something is definitely going to give if the "headless chicken" element isn't addressed. Bart isn't going to save them all.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 pm

Brilliant preview again from all concerned, I did not think that they could be bettered but bloody good show also for a midweek game.
I would even kiss the Mrs if we could get a win, two away wins on the trot would be imho a clear statement that the players and club are starting to believe in themselves and each other.
No doubt be it luck judgement or poor opposition we are doing the job of which nobody can deny.

I just hope that Mick is not too defensive but I guess it's just his nature, cautious beyond belief. Come on you blues let's go beat them.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Caption Comp: Rab C Nesbitt : What a business, all because I take a wee drink, eh... Tell yae wan thing - see all this shoutin? It does not half give yae a helluva thirst.
(said in a true Glaswegian style)
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 pm

CAPTION COMP.

Millwall fans:
" what the fu@k, Noone has signed for town?? I was sure he was coming here, we spent a fortune on this fu@king banner!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:42 am

The "new" arena has lost any considerable fear factor since moving from their previous home around 1993. (Any) Intimidation factor has decreased significantly in recent years although the team has become more prosperous as a result of it.

Despite it, voted in favor of a home team win. They've beaten a number of EPL clubs in cup competition in recent time and despite the aforementioned more benign environment and minimal attendance, they have the capabilities to overcome any opposition if so inclined. Harris was a good appointment, blatant fan favorite and held in regard, few would hold bad words against the individual regardless of result.

"Fa Cup Finalists 2004" reads the sign above road, which provides almost sympathy. Other than the fall of '88 when they were leading the old First Division, unable to recall any other significant inroads.

Millwall 2 Ipswich Town 1

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 am

Millwall 1 ITFC 3

Caption: 'This is Millwall you know. They'll quieten down before kickoff.'

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 am

marko69 wrote:Andy, you don't need to keep on bringing yourself down about being pessimistic,...... I watched six minutes and I think you may be totally correct. Defensively it was horrific. Like I said, headless chickens they looked like. In fact, after hearing the result, I should've just left it at that....... watching the highlights made me think what you are saying, "a hammering on the horizon"...... it's not being negative, it's an opinion based on the reality of what was witnessed. YES, there were no doubt some neat passages of defending, but it definitely looked like, when under the cosh, it gets a bit ropey. AND it was only Barnsley. Other top six contenders may just take loads more advantage than what Barnsley did.

BUT........ it's the start of the season....... these guys watch hours of footage as well as do the training so hopefully Mick & Co are working on what they can do to make things look a bit more assured on the park. Yes ok, you can't get more assured than 3 wins out of 3, but something is definitely going to give if the "headless chicken" element isn't addressed. Bart isn't going to save them all.
Marko, some of the defending was indeed woeful, especially in the first half when we were getting swamped at times, for me that had as much to do with the formation as it did our shortcomings, Kenlock had a mare at left Wing back and was all over the place, this in turn seemed to impact on the Knudsen, who you know is not my favourite player but he was having to cover in areas that maybe he should not have to. The back line is still pretty new and learning, Iorfa playing what his 3rd game ? He was our only attacking outlet in the first half and when moves broke down we were left exposed down our right side, these are things that will no doubt improve the more they play together, and of course Webster being out is a big loss hence Mick looking to add to the squad in this area.

It should also be noted there was some really good defending too, Garner tracked back one time and cleared one off the line, you do defend from the front after all, and Chambo made some super blocks during the second half, he was superb, Spence too is adjusting from RB to CB and did a decent job after the break, so it's not all bad, no doubt the six minutes seen on TV shows all the goal action and other near misses which would obviously highlight more of the bad stuff than the good. Definitley things to improve on though.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I see "Mad Dog" Knudsen has put his hand up to partner Chambo in defence.

I'd rather see Spence stay there with Chambo in a 4-4-2. Knudsen has done OK this season and needs to stay as a LB/wing back. Kenlock's form is making him look even better.

I know some have said we should have taken the option on Taylor or get more squad defenders as cover, but we've had two unexpected injuries to CB's. That's what the likes of Spence, Iorfa and "Wolfy" are there for - to cover these unexpected situations. Give Spence the opportunity at CB and we'll know more about his all-round potential over the next few games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:Garner tracked back one time and cleared one off the line.
Truthfully, reading this ^^^ in the match report was what prompted the other post. I'd already watched the highlights, and I'd seen the clearance off the line but with muted sound, didn't realise it was Garner. After reading that, coupled with my opinion on the defence, then reading Andy apologising for being pessi, I thought, "nooooo, fk it!" :lol:
bluemike wrote:......,Kenlock had a mare at left Wing back and was all over the place, this in turn seemed to impact on the Knudsen, who you know is not my favourite player but he was having to cover in areas that maybe he should not have to.
Roll back to last season, (would be early last season, and maybe even most of the season before)......., I would quietly get irate at the occasional Shyte being hurled at Christophe Berra. To me, during live games, he played Tommy's role also. I even nicknamed him, Christophe "stick a brush up ma arse and I'll just do every fking thing" Berra. Fully understand Jonas having to be in other places due to others struggling.

By the way, it's good to read that Knudsen has started the season slightly better. It's encouraging.

Please do not have a mare tonight, Jonas!

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 pm

tangfastic wrote:
I know some have said we should have taken the option on Taylor or get more squad defenders as cover, but we've had two unexpected injuries to CB's.
Without being too unkind, I would dare to suggest that Webster's injury was not unexpected. We were always likely to need cover for him.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Hoping for a win again 2 - 1 but if we lose we should not be too disappointed the season is early and we won't win them all.

caption Wiseman to the fat guy "Is the guy on the crossbar auditioning for the circus,and are you for the clown"

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Fine job as always! Got to say, the Millwall fan had a beer named after his deeds, you gotta give props to that!

Town with a 2-1 win.

Caption,

(Security guy with 052 to fat slob in front of him)
"So, is that the deluxe 10-hour glass fishnet bathing suit you're modeling?"

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Looks like 4-4-2 with Sears wide in a diamond midfield. That's my guess looking at the team selection.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Andym wrote:
tangfastic wrote:
I know some have said we should have taken the option on Taylor or get more squad defenders as cover, but we've had two unexpected injuries to CB's.
Without being too unkind, I would dare to suggest that Webster's injury was not unexpected. We were always likely to need cover for him.
Then we need to get him fit .... Let him get his reputation back to the ball playing, 'Stones-like' defender that is fashionable and off-load for 10 million as soon as possible. Best defender when fit, but injury-prone so far. Still.. compared to Taylor he's Iron Man.

it's up to others to fill-in. We had a poor right back for the last few years who's now our best CB, so why can't Spence be the same.