Huws

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Huws

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Just as I feared it looks like Huws might now require surgery for his Achilles problem.
We just don't seem to be having any luck regarding injuries.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Huws

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:46 pm

Normally it would be a massive blow but Flynn Downes has softened that blow big time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm

It still beggars belief that we keep signing players who are bloody injured!!

Just when exactly did Huws sustain an Achilles' tendon injury over the summer ?? These things don't just suddenly happen , there is usually some symptoms before hand. Now he could potentially be out for months , not weeks !

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:It still beggars belief that we keep signing players who are bloody injured!!

Just when exactly did Huws sustain an Achilles' tendon injury over the summer ?? These things don't just suddenly happen , there is usually some symptoms before hand. Now he could potentially be out for months , not weeks !
It's not just that we sign them while injured, it's the fact we sign players who are injury prone.

Msybe we should look at their background more thoroughly and notbdign them if they regularly play less than 80% of matches in a season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 pm

He picked the injury up Tuesday just minutes before the end of the session. Just bad luck.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Eh? :shock: Huws hasn't played this season yet has he?!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry i meant Monday in training, he was going to play at palace

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:40 am

Mike
Thought Huws achilles problem was also the reason that he missed pre-season?
That is why I was concerned about it as niggling achilles often keep reoccurring and in the end need surgery to put it right.
I heard that he took another knock on it in training the other day. I agree at least the emergence of Downes does soften the blow a bit but these bloody injuries will no doubt catch up with us over the course of a season if they continue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:55 am

Yes I think you may be right, thankfully Tom Adeyemi is nearly fit at last so with Him & Downes we will cover Huws even though he would be a big asset to us.

Ive seen a lot of moaning ang groaning about Huws being injured and why we sign injured players, well there was not a single person on here or anywhere else who wasnt pleading wioth ME to get his cheque book out and get this deal done to sign Huws and when we got him on a Four year deal everyone was ecstatic, I still am by the way but anyone who knows their football should have known he was injured at the time and had had a few problems in this direction so maybe when we dont just splash the cash at the drop of a hat there is a valid reason for it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:31 pm

No there's no argument about signing him, but I hope negotiated a good price because he would have been carrying this injury. :D

I also think Town should be a bit more transparent about the injuries to players. Webster springs to mind as another who was injured when we signed him, Then the Rotherham player who has yet to play for us ...Williams last seaosn. The list goes on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Adeyemi wasn't injured, he got kosovan Ebola off Celina and due to hie eagerness to get fit picked up this injury, I genuinely do feel that has been bloody bad luck. Huws at 23 years old and costing less than a Million is great business even if he is injured at present, we will get our money back on him several times over. As for Williams, lets just not go there.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I think 23yrs old is very young to have an Achilles' tendon injury . It's usually a degenerative problem and age related, usually someone in their mid 30's

Now he's having an op, he could potentially be out for months, depends what operation he had.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:59 pm

bluemike wrote: Ive seen a lot of moaning ang groaning about Huws being injured and why we sign injured players, well there was not a single person on here or anywhere else who wasnt pleading with ME to get his cheque book out and get this deal done to sign Huws and when we got him on a Four year deal everyone was ecstatic, I still am by the way but anyone who knows their football should have known he was injured at the time and had had a few problems in this direction so maybe when we dont just splash the cash at the drop of a hat there is a valid reason for it.
I confess I'm one who doesn't know his football - I know bugger all about players at other clubs. That's why I keep quiet when we are after players or sign them until I've seen them.

Regarding Huws, he had some good games for us last season and some where he was somewhat invisible. In that respect he was worth pursuing if the price was right.

But I still maintain the club is far too often getting in injury prone players. It isn't my job to research their history but it certainly is theirs. In this case it isn't too important as we have lots of half decent midfielders except
(a) I suspect we paid a decent fee for him
(b) he's probably on pretty good wages for someone who might miss a lot of football
(c) I'm not convinced someone who has a history of injury should be given a 4 year contract.

He may go on to play regularly for us but it's a hell of a gamble for a club with such limited resources. So I'll stick to my opinion that we should look more carefully at medical records when signing new players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:33 pm

It happens all the time at every club, Bournemouth paid 8 Million for Tyrone Mings and he was crocked virtually from the off and this was a guy with no previous injury problems, Connor Wickham went to Palace and has been injured all the time, it happens. Huws played for us last season and was fine and fully fit until he picked up the injury towards the end of the campaign. I just think he's been unlucky, it's no different to offering contracts to players you already own but who have a history of being injured, McGoldrick for one and Tommy Smith is now very much another, Teddy Bishop too. Adam Webster may have had a few injuries but I was at the Luton game and he took Two very hefty blows that night, that is not a case of being injury prone surely ?