ipswich vs Fulham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep it going??

Ipswich Win
60%
Fulham Win
No votes
Draw
40%

Total votes: 5

Frosty
Forum Owner

ipswich vs Fulham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Image Ipswich Town v FulhamImage

Saturday 26th August 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

We may have tasted defeat for the first time this season but I think it is fair to say every single Town fan was immensly proud of the efforts of our "Kids" at Selhurst Park on Tuesday evening, a team with an average age of under 20 years old did the club, the Fans, the Town and themselves proud with as good a performance as we have seen for many a long day, for near on 70 Minutes there was nothing to choose between our U20'S and Palace's team of Premier League and International players, only the classic running out of gas effect denying us the chance of a real Cup shock but most fans, like myself, didn't feel it was defeat at all, in fact it felt more like a moral victory and totally vindicated the decision of Mick McCarthy to go with a much changed side, I won't say weakened because as it turned out it really wasn't. So many of the youngsters who took to the field really have put themselves to the forefront of the gaffers thoughts for the long haul ahead, we all knew about the emergence of Flynn Downes already but we also now know he can "mix it" with Premeir league standard players too, we knew Tristan Nydam was a promising Central Midfielder, we now know he is also a very capable Left back who acquitted himself superbly, Luke Wooldfenden had showed what he can do at Centre Back alongside skipper Chambo against Luton but we now know he is also a solid Right back too. Speaking of Centre Backs and Pat Webber has to gain a mention, a Left sided CB who looked so assured and composed was something I took from the evening, but to be fair to all the younger players Ben Folami, Shane McLoughlin, George Fowler, Adam McDonnell and Ben Morris all look to have promising careers ahead of them and may well have a part to play as the season unwinds.

There was much ridicule aimed at Marcus Evans when he released his "Five point plan" towards the end of last year, most were of the opinion it was all just hot air to appease a fan base that was rapidly losing faith with the owner and Manager etc, Look a little closer at the Five points now and it really does not look quite so silly, in fact it is hard to dispute any of the points, things do take time, Rome was not built in a day but as we all know the majority of Football fans want success immediatley although to be fair we have been encamped in the Championship for a fair old while now, so take a look at this plan again and see if you feel we are moving forward on all the points raised.

* To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the Club’s Academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team

* To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget

*To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development

*Maintaining a stable management and coaching team

* To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football

I don't see anything within those points that makes me think hang on a minute that's not happening, the Academy is most definitely being invested in and we are now seeing the benefits of this, only this week Tristan Nydam and Flynn Downes have been named in the England U19's squad, we already have Ben Morris & Andre Dozzell as regular representitives for their country and that is a great achievement for a club of our standing, I don't see this category One nonsense as being important at all, after all how many Norwich Kids do we see in these squads ? Weren't we supposed to be losing all our best Kids to them up the road ? It isn't happening. Our squad salary budget is known to be very competitive too, I think Adam Webster and Emyr Huws certainly come into mind with Point Number Three as we look to sign players who we can hopefully develop form a fairly young age. Sticking with Mick & Terry has been key, the turnaround in fortunes is clear for all to see, had we opted for change there would no doubt have been much upheaval in back room staff and playing staff and this invariably takes time so Point number Four is spot on. The last point is a no brainer, the football so far this season has been much more attractive and enjoyable and there is much more to come when we get all our players back fit, I really have not seen too much "hoofball" at all this season and the excitement is returning to our match days again, of course there is still a long way to go but as far as I am concerned it cannot be denied that this "Five Point Plan" is being adhered to.

We end the first month of the season with a very real chance of winning all Five League games, who would have dreamed that Fifteeen points could possibly be on the board by the end of August, it would be a fantastic achievement by everyone concerned and it could happen, confidence is high and we are on the crest of a wave, and all this with a decimated squad, players know that soon they will be fighting to keep their place in the team and that can only be a good thing, I was so pleased to hear that Bersant Celina is unhappy at not being in the starting Eleven, we need players to be hungry and to earn their place. Standing in our way is Fulham who it has to be said have had a disappointing start to the season, they are still to register a win but have drawn on Three occasions, it got worse in Midweek too as League One Bristol Rovers dumped them out of the Cup at Craven Cottage, they are going to be a wounded animal for sure, for me they were the best footballing side I saw last season bar none and gave us a lesson at Portman Road, BUT, we are a different team these days and win, lose or draw I just know they won't find us such a walk over this time around and will have to play well to take the points back to London, let's go into the International break with a League table we can't stop looking at for Two weeks !!!! COYB'S!

The Opposition - Fulham

Fulham Football Club based in London was founded in 1879, they will be playing in the English Football League Championship for the first time in 13 seasons after their relegation from the ‘Top Flight’ last season. They were the oldest established football team from London playing in the Premier League.

The club has spent twenty-four seasons in English football's top division, the majority of that in two spells during the 1960s and 2000s.

Fulham have never won a major honour, although they have reached two major finals. In 1975, as a Second Division team, they contested the FA Cup final for the only time in their history, losing 2–0 to West Ham United. Fulham reached the 2010 Europa League final, which they contested with Atlético Madrid in Hamburg, losing 2–1 after extra time.

The club has been in the Football League playing in various divisions since 1907.

In modern times Egyptian businessman Mohamed Al-Fayed bought the freehold of the club for £6.25 million in summer 1997. Micky Adams was fired by Al-Fayed in the aftermath of a poor start. He installed a two-tier management "dream team" of Ray Wilkins as First Team Manager and Kevin Keegan as Chief Operating Office, pledging that the club would reach the Premier League within five years. After an argument over team selection, Wilkins left the club in May 1998 to hand over the full managerial duties to Keegan, who steered the club to promotion the next season, winning 101 points out of a possible 138, after spending £1.1 million to sign Paul Peschisolido from West Bromwich Albion who was top scorer and captained by Chris Coleman – then the most expensive footballer outside the top two divisions of the English league.

In 1999, Keegan left Fulham to become manager of the England team, and Paul Bracewell was put in charge. Bracewell was sacked in March 2000, as Fulham's promising early season form dwindled away to a mid-table finish. Frenchman Jean Tigana was put in charge and, having signed a number of young stars (including French striker Louis Saha), he guided Fulham to their third promotion in five seasons in the 2000–01 season, giving Fulham top flight status for the first time since 1968. Fulham once again amassed 101 points out of a possible 138 in their scintillating title run, which was crowned with an open-top bus parade down Fulham Palace Road.

They are the only team to have twice reached 100 points in a season.

For the next 7 seasons they mainly achieved lower mid table positions in the Premier League.

Roy Hodgson was named as the new manager of Fulham on 28 December 2007, and took up his contractual duties on 30 December
In the 2008–09 season, Fulham finished seventh, their highest-ever league placing, earning qualification for the inaugural UEFA Europa League, the second time that the club had entered a UEFA competition.

2009–10 was arguably the most successful season in the club's history. They were eliminated from the FA Cup in the quarter-finals for the second year running, and finished twelfth in the Premier League. In the inaugural UEFA Europa League, however, Fulham reached the final, meeting Spanish club Atlético Madrid at the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg. In their first European cup final the Cottagers were beaten 2–1 in extra time, having drawn 1–1 after full-time. The achievement of taking Fulham so unexpectedly far, beating famous teams like Hamburg, Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk, and Basel in the competition led to Roy Hodgson being voted the LMA Manager of the Year by the widest margin in the history of the award. The home match in the round of 16 was arguably Fulham's greatest result in the history of the club. Despite losing 3–1 in the first leg at Italian giants Juventus and falling behind minutes into the second leg at Craven Cottage, Fulham scored four goals with no reply from Juventus.

At the end of the season, Hodgson left Fulham to manage Liverpool.

On 29 July 2010, Mark Hughes was named the successor to Roy Hodgson, signing a two-year contract with the club. Hughes resigned as manager of Fulham on 2 June 2011, having spent fewer than eleven months at the club. The Whites had an encouraging finish in 8th position and qualified for the Europa League via Fairplay.

On 7 June 2011, Martin Jol signed a two-year contract with Fulham, becoming the successor of Hughes. Fulham's Premier League form in the 2011–12 season was mixed, with the continuing away-record hangover of previous seasons dragging on.

Clint Dempsey scored a club record 50 Premier League goals for Fulham between 2007 and 2012

In the 2012–13 season, Fulham ended a seven-match winless run by beating Swansea City 3–0 away at the Liberty Stadium on the final game of the season on 19 May 2013. Fulham finished the season in 12th place.

Shahid Khan took over as chairman in July 2013, but after a poor start to the 2013-14 season, having only amassed 10 points from 13 games, Martin Jol was sacked as manager on 1 December 2013, with Rene Meulensteen taking charge as Head Coach. Meulensteen was subsequently replaced by Felix Magath on 14 February 2014, but remained under contract with Fulham until four days later, when Fulham confirmed the sacking of him along with coaches Ray Wilkins and Alan Curbishley. They were eventually relegated after a 4-1 defeat to Stoke City on 3 May.

Magath lasted in the manager’s role until 18 September 2014, when he was dismissed due to poor early season results, and Kit Symons took over as Caretaker Manager until his appointment was made permanent on 29 October 2014.

Under Symons, the Cottagers finished last season with 52 points and in 17th place on the ladder.

Kit Symons was sacked as Fulham manager in November 2015. It took 49 days to find a replacement, the club using Peter Grant and Stuart Gray in the interim, before appointing Slaviša Jokanović on 27 December 2015.

Fulham finished the 2015/16 season in 20th Place with 51 points.

Last season Fulham made it to the playoffs , finishing in 6th but didn’t go any further losing to the 3rd place finisher in Reading.

The Gaffer – Slavisa Jokanovic

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Daryl Murphy features from an opening game, a few seasons back

Media Watch - K L Blue

Rotherham keen to keep Moore

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32148

MM on the youngsters performance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41022851

Youngsters keen to build on Palace display

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5159724

Stuart Watson on the positives from the Palace game

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5159733

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches - Currently in 2nd place with 12 points

Crystal Palace 2-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 2-0 Brentford FC

Millwall FC 3-4 Ipswich Town

Barnsley 1-2 Ipswich Town

Luton Town 0-2 Ipswich Town

Fulham Last 5 Matches – Currently in 19th place with 3 points

Fulham FC 0-1 Bristol Rovers

Fulham FC 0-1 Sheffield Wed

Leeds United 0-0 Fulham FC

Reading FC 1-1 Fulham FC

Wycombe 0-2 Fulham FC

Fixtures of Interest

BRENTFORD VS WOLVES

CARDIFF VS Q.P.R.

NOTT. FOREST VS LEEDS

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Excellent first four weeks of captions in the 2017/18 DON CUP competition. And the first league table is down below there. Scores first though.

Birmingham

Frosty (Pies) 5pts
Jamma123 4pts
IpswichtownNo1 (Mevans' BS) & Shed on Tour 3pts
Blueblood (Nik Naks), Bluepeter & Tangfastic 2pts

Barnsley

Herforder (daytime insurance) 5pts
Barmy Billy, Nicscreamer & Shed on Tour 4pts
Tangfastic (playschool) 3pts
Ando 2pts

Millwall

Bluemike 5pts
Shed on Tour 4pts
IpswichtownNo1 3pts
Nicsreamer & DerickIpsw 2pts

Brentford

Ohiotractorboy & Tangfastic 5pts
Herforder 4pts
Nicscreamer 3pts (Brian)
Number 9 & Bluepeter 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

SHED ON TOUR 12
HERFORDER 10
NICSCREAMER 10
TANGFASTIC 10
BLUEMIKE 8
FROSTY 8
OHIOTRACTORBOY 8
BARMY BILLY 7
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 7
BLUEPETER 6
BLUEBLOOD 5
DERICKIPSW 5
ANDO 4
JAMMA123 4
NUMBER9 4
QUASAR 4
WATERSHIP DOWN 4
AYLESBURY BLUE 2
PATTHEGIMP 1

Have a go at this……..

Match Referee – Paul Tierney

IPSWICH TOWN 2 FULHAM 1

itfc76trev

Re: ipswich vs Fulham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by itfc76trev » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 pm

What's with the last 5 games points and positions :D

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm not sure we can keep soaking up pressure every game, some day soon a team is going to take their chances. 2-2 draw.

Caption: sit down fatty you only won a corner!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 am

No messing around, five victories from five, and league summit within 48 hours : it really is that close to our possession.

The vast spectrum in hitherto league performance respective for each team is a concern, but got belief we possess the capabilities to maintain momentum. 5 (league) wins from 5 would be a remarkable accomplishment after being garbage so recent, (and) it's about damn time the fans were given something back.

Ipswich Town 3 Fulham 2

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:38 am

I'm nervous as we must lose at some point.. How about a 1-1 draw.

Caption - I told you, if the fat tw*t didn't shut up I would shove my microphone up his arse... I didn't lie.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:13 am

I think a 1 - 2 win for fulham this week.

Caption comp.
Little boy smiles smugly as he thinks " yeah you celebrate that goal as long as you like buddy, i shoved your mike right up my arse at halftime."

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:12 am

ITFC 2 : FULHAM 3

Can't keep this up forever , can we ?

I'll go for a entertaining defeat with the ficklish chorus of "Super Mick McCarthy" resounding round PR.

CAPTION: Life goes on after Britain's Got Talent for Stavros Flatley.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 am

Is that a proper Tractor Boy up there ^^^ Frosty?

Excellent preview, the positivity is overwhelming. Long may it continue. Although it was a six point plan......, no 6 being: ignore the whingin faced bstds on the terraces! :D

Again, no predictions. Not until the club lose in the league. Should be a good game. After watching Liverpool in the champions league, it really does get the fans excited for the weekend. Although I highly doubt I'll see that class at Dens Park on Sunday. But with young Flynn Downes stroking the ball about in midfield, you guys could be a bit closer to it! :D I'll stick a tenner on that player Hitherto to score!
Get right into them, ITFC. Come on.

Ref caption:

(Under his breath) why the fk did they give me a deaf linesman....., (out loud) "ITS A CORNER, DAVE, A CAWWWW RRRR NERRRR!"

Hugh caption:

Why Hugh? Why Craven Cottage?
It's err, ..... well it's Love Actually.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:04 am

And Blueblood......., jokanovic caption....... nik naks?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am

Caption: If those fans in the stands think they have got a restricted view they should be fecking well sitting here.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:50 am

Caption

" I was promised Michael Jackson and I ended up with this fat pr*ck"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:52 am

Slavisa Jokanvic Caption:

"hmmmmm .... who shall I manage next?"

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Forums are vital for following a team 4,000 miles away, and this forum is still the best. Light hearted banter, lots of good fottie insight, and these previews are the best! I like the addition of the media watch, really helps with news.

2-1 to the Town as we go to 15 pts on the table!

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Agree that Fulham were by far the best team that trotted out at PR last season - but, also, we were particularly poor that dim and distant Boxing Day. Perhaps suffering from play-off blues, Fulham have yet to get anywhere near last season's standards; we, on the other hand, have moved on, possessing midfield and attacking quality that, in tight difficult games, can tip the balance in our favour. A 'makeshift' defence that, against Brentford, looked anything but, and with 4 youngsters also covering those positions, who acquitted themselves so well against PL Crystal Palace. All of this breeds confidence and belief, which will stand us in good stead tomorrow. No room of course for complacency; but with the PR faithful showing increasing support and tolerance, and vocally supporting the lads, there's no reason to believe that we won't win tomorrow - in the process breaking all sorts of records. (Which is why they exist!)

2-1 will do nicely.

Caption comp:

Fat guy: "I'm soooo excited, it's made me pass wind"

Young lad: "I'd look again, mate. (I've got some spare trackie bottoms you can have)"

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 pm

God, I completely cocked the form guide up on reflection (issues himself a yellow card)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 am

How fab would it be if we were to make it Five straight League wins at the start of a season, no Ipswich side has ever managed it before and it would see MM do something not achieved by Robson, Ramsey, Royle, Burley, Lyall etc etc, that would be some feat.

Fulham are another side definitely in a false position, not on their performances this season though as they have been pretty average in truth but come the seasons end they will be up and around the top Six for sure. Are we playing them at just the right time I wonder ? It could well be the case, reading some of their fans views it seems their new strikers have not settled in yet and they can't hit a barn door right now, yes it will change at some point but hopefully not today.

As if we aren't missing enough players at the moment it now looks like Didsy will be unavailable due to his wife about to give birth, it never rains but it pours, however I still think we will remain unbeaten but the magical Fifth win may just prove a step too far.

CAPTION.......Little Lad.."Oi move lard arse, I cant See, my badge says it all, FFC, F*****G FAT C**T"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:29 am

Mike, some guy wearing shades INDOORS has hijacked your account....... better get that the fk sorted out, mate!

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:35 am

Brilliant preview again with a great write up, informative and unbiased as it should be. Thank you to all involved.
I feel Fulham are in a false position right now and as said before they will or should be thereabouts come may. I know we have started brilliantly but the games are still coming thick and fast and with a depleted number of people to choose from the positive start could be put to test today.
Being a home match could give us the little advantage today and I don't think we will loose, if we can get a draw and keep the good run going then that's ok with me. All the best for today. Bluearmy forever

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 am

Caption Comp:
“We are the best in the world! We are the best in the world! We have beaten Fulham 2-1 in football!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten Fulham! Fulham, .

“Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper,Duchess of Cambridge – we have beaten them. We have beaten them!

“Theresa May can you hear me? Theresa May, I have a message for you in the middle of the Brexit Talks. I have a message for you: We have Beaten Fulham.

“Theresa May, as they say in your language in the boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Fulham took a hell of a beating! Fulham took a hell of a beating!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:58 am

marko69 wrote:Mike, some guy wearing shades INDOORS has hijacked your account....... better get that the fk sorted out, mate!
Haha, yes there was a reason as to why I was indoors taking a pic, but I had to please my adoring public, or one of them anyway !!!!

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:36 am

Going for 2-1 town win with us coming from behind to sing that wonderful chant "One nil and you fecked it up"!! :D

Caption...."Dad can i have my ice cream back????...."

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Caption:

"The young Fulham fan was proud to be the judge of the new Kim Jong Un statue impersonations."

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:35 pm

bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:Mike, some guy wearing shades INDOORS has hijacked your account....... better get that the fk sorted out, mate!
Haha, yes there was a reason as to why I was indoors taking a pic, but I had to please my adoring public, or one of them anyway !!!!

I dunno, you have a kind of U2 vibe thing going there...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:37 pm

I think Tang could feel that vibe a bit earlier, Ohio!

Hopefully the previews remain the same, and there are no stats about how many children die per second in Africa. That could get depressing.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:40 pm

LOL, well he can probably do a benefit rant, er concert, for them

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 pm

U2 in concert, Glasgow.

Bono: Every time I click my fingers, a child dies in Africa.
Scottish voice in crowd: Well stop doing it then you stupid cnt!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Caption Comp: Halftime whistle has gone, get me out of this booth unlock the Fecking door this guy is boring and doing my head in.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:08 pm

London team have a goal lead at the interval. Not only that, but we've been poor by all accounts and if not for our goalkeeper the opposition could be further ahead at this stage. Far behind in terms of possession and shot opportunity, someone needs to get their as* in gear second period if we're to get anything from today's encounter.

Cardiff City ahead in their respective game to add insult to injury although Norwich three in reverse at Millwall and close to relegation zone as it stands. Unless there's a radical improvement second half we can expect to get very little from this game , will be some interesting reaction from certain corners should it remain as it is and we fail to accomplish.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:14 pm

0-2 to Fulham :|

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Not sure that Lorfa will make it to the end without a red. So many fouls!!!