ipswich vs Fulham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep it going??

Ipswich Win
60%
Fulham Win
No votes
Draw
40%

Total votes: 5

shamm

Re: ipswich vs Fulham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shamm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Any chance of a rescue mission. By all accounts on Twitter seems like a one sided affair.
Was so looking forward to 5 wins.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm

f*ck it that's a loss, something I didn't envisage before start of play. Frustrating score, they hadn't seen victory, we hadn't witnessed defeat, but all things are possible in this division.

Remain in second place but the run is over, wait for the game report to ascertain detailed information but first impression being we didn't perform today and throwback to all too recent events. Not so bad losing when the opposition warrants it but appears it was something of a lackluster effort from ourselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Read an indepth match report. Big shout out to Bart Bailkowski...... sounds like you played an absolute cracking game. Could've been 0-5 without him in goal. Maybe McGoldrick guilty of being a bit greedy on a couple of occasions; perhaps Garner or Waghorn could've scored had the ball been laid off for them. But it's all in the heat and pace of the game. The main thing is -----> sounds like ITFC were poor, and Fulham deserved it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Fulham far too good for our injury hit side today. It's no drama to lose today IMO. Fulham had so much possession that I don't think Town got a touch of the ball for the first 5 mins. But we also appeared to give them far too much respect , and the Town players tending to sit off their markers. Either that or Fulham worked the ball so well that we were never able to get close enough to make a tackle of note. In truth it was probably a bit of both .

Bart was at his best , making stunning saves, but OMG when will he learn to kick a ball straight and keep the bloody thing in play??

My MOM was once again Knudsen. He could be a cult hero if he reverted to CB. But in truth the the whole Town team today lacked leadership throughout the side and most importantly across the back four. Spence and Iorfa should have swapped positions. It was clear Iorfa was all at sea at right back, and would probably have been far more steady at CB alongside Knudsen.
For me the midfield was always going to be up against it today, and Ward played like he had put his boots on the wrong feet. He couldn't trap wind let alone them ball today!

Our strikers couldn't be blamed for not scoring. Chances were always going to be few and far between , and Didsy was well marshalled onto his weaker left foot whenever he did get in the ball . He was no threat tbh. Waghorn was doubled for most of the game , and in truth didn't get a sniff. No, give Fulham their due, they had done their homework on us and it showed.

So we go into the International break with an injury list requiring two hands to count them out on, but we are currently still 2nd, ( depending on the Forest v Leeds result ). Let's just type that again so we can fully appreciate it

TOWN ARE 2ND in the Championship. ......Not in the bottom three.

That's where the Scum are !!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Always thought this would be our toughest test so far and despite originally predicting a Fulham win I thought after our good start and their poor one we might get something out of this game.

By all accounts this was one way traffic which suggests maybe we've over performed whilst they've done completely the opposite.

At least we now have a two week break which will provide some breathing space to get one or two of our injured players back which we'll almost certainly need with three tough away fixtures in our next four games. QPR(a), Derby(a) and Leeds(a) with Bolton(h).... staying top 6 after these games would be fantastic.

Looking forward to Bluemike's report but not expecting such good reading.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:49 pm

You can only blame Mick and Marcus Evans for not getting a replacement Centre back, Mick your far too slow matey, any other manager would have seen what Fulham play like, and gone out and sorted a decent replacement urgently, so as far as I'm concerned its back to square one, ME has said stick with what you've got there's no money left, still I'm sure we can managed for a few months with a make shift defence ????

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 pm

So our unbeaten run is over, the elusive Fifth win and with it history failed to materialise and in truth it never looked likely as Fulham ran out comfortable winners against a Town team who for me were just not at the races from the off and who made a decent side look even better, I also felt we got the tactics completely wrong as their 4-3-3 caused us untold problems all afternoon, in fairness with the players at Micks disposal there probably wasn't an awful lot we could have done differently.

As with the Brentford game it was the visitors that started well with Town struggling to get hold of the ball, a trait that was to last the entire 90 minutes. Fulham were probing without finding a way through or creating much, One shot sailed high and wide before Iorfa got in the way of another effort to deflect it wide. Town had really not shown as an attacking force at all while at the other end Kenlock had come to our rescue 2 or 3 times with some timely blocks and interceptions. Around the Quarter hour mark Town had what was to be their best chance of the match, Martyn Waghorn making good contact with a dropping ball, his volley looked goal bound all ends up but it hit a defender and just cleared the far post, without the deflection it would surely have been a goal. Soon after Bart was forced into his first real save of the match but he could do nothing soon after as a shot from Fredericks flew past him but fortunately for us it hit the outside of the post and away to safety.

It had been so obvious that Town were struggling to contain Fulham's wide players and they were running at the Town defence at will, for some reason Iorfa & Kenlock were constantly getting drawn into the centre leaving acres of space down the flanks, Sessegnon in particular was causing Iorfa real problems and was delivering several dangerous balls into our box. Any threat we did carry came mainly from Didsy with Garner, Waghorn and Sears struggling to impose themselves on the game, Ward was even less of a threat, hadn't even noticed he was on the pitch as the clock ticked past the 30 minute mark. Town really should have gone behind as Bart pulled off a couple of great saves, Cairney's shot from just outside the box was blocked by the big man, the ball running lose which was thankfully cleared by a Town defender, moments later an even better stop prevented the very impressive johansen from scoring what looked a certain goal, Bart rushing off his line and spreading himself superbly, the ball being blocked by his leg. Unfortunately our resistance was broken with 10 minutes of the half remaining, again our Fullbacks all at sea, the cross came in from our left and Kebano was totally unmarked at the back post to plant his header past a stranded Bart. It was no more than Fulham deserved at it was so nearly Two minutes later as the Londoners hit the post for the second time when again it looked far easier to score, this time the mutli Million pound Fonte the culprit. Town did rally a bit before the break with first McGoldrick creating an opening but instead of laying it off to a team mate he wasted the chance himself, then Waghorn had an effort which sailed wide of the goal. To be fair 1-0 was generous really as it could so easily have been 4-1, Town's chance coming from the unlucky Waghorn who's effort was deflected wide with the defender knowing little about it.

The second half was not very old before Fulham all but wrapped up the points, Bart was again to the rescue as he did brilliantly to save a shot from Kabano, the ball was picked up by Fonte who hit a rocket of a shot from a ridiculously tight angle and into the roof of the net, Town's defenders had been very slow to react to the loose ball and Bart can feel that he deserved better following his save. Even with 40 minutes to go you just know this was the killer blow as we had struggled from the off to cope with Fulhams neat passing game, we had been stretched throughout and the width they played with caused us so many problems, they also seem to have had so much space in the centre to which did improve following the introduction of Downes and Celina. The kosovan tried his best to make things happen and a couple of mazy runs almost saw him through but he tried to take on One too many defenders every time. The more Town tried to get forward the more likely it looked that they would add to their Two goals but in truth they were just going through the motions as they saw the game out.

We were always going to taste defeat some time and today it happened, I actually don't feel to disappointed at losing to a very capable footballing side but I do feel frustrated in that we made it so easy for them at times, for all the first half we didn't close them down at all, we allowewd them time and space on the ball to dictate the play, those in your face tackles that we have seen all season just wasn't there from us today, our Full backs dirfted out of position so many times you do wonder if it was a deliberate instruction for them to do so but either way it backfired big time. When you have Four or Five players not really on their game at the same time it is always going to be hard, I thought Iorfa & Kenlock struggled with the pace out wide all afternoon, Grant Ward was so quiet and really did little of any note, Martyn Waghorn had a couple of moments but didn't offer enough protection to Iorfa when needed, same with Sears on the other side. Sometimes it just isn't your day and you are second best, today was one of those days, beaten by a better side, it was probably One game too far with limited resources and the International break comes at a very good time for us. The positives are that we are still second in the table, we have a CB supposedly coming in before Thursdays deadline and the next Two weeks give us a chance to at least get One or Two of the walking wounded back fit. Oh yes one more thing, the scum getting thrashed at little old Millwall sees them in the bottom Three so it ain't all bad, that was an easy fixture when we won there 4-3 by all accounts LOL. COYB'S

Bart (8) Iorfa (5) Spence (6) Knudsen (6) Kenlock (5) Ward (5) Skuse (6) Sears (5) Waghorn (5) Garner (6) McGoldrick (7)

SUBS Downes (6) Celina (6)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:03 pm

ashfordblue wrote:......any other manager would have seen what Fulham play like, and gone out and sorted a decent replacement urgently.....
Bullsh!t.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Ash appears after our first defeat, seen f*ck all of him this season until now LOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:01 pm

I think you'll find he's been on about signing a replacement centre back for the past 10 days, not that he's had much to say about our four straight wins though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks for the report Mike, not a good day's work but if I'm honest I never really expected to win this one and believe I said so in your August Fixtures thread. Fulham have a much stronger squad than we have and have just got off to a slow start but I still expect to see them up there around the play off places come the end of the season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:I think you'll find he's been on about signing a replacement centre back for the past 10 days, not that he's had much to say about our four straight wins though.
The thing is Mick has said he is bringing someone in before the deadline so its just stating the bleeding obvious. And the comment of back to square one is moronic

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Think Knudsen was probably a '7'. We probably won't play many more accomplished and 'complete' teams than Fulham over the season. But, by the same token, we were way off the pace, both in terms of team set-up and performances. Disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, and by no means terminal. It has been a good month; so get over this match during the international break, learn lessons, work hard in training, get the elusive CB through the door and, hopefully, some of the crocks back, and go again at QPR. Musn't let today have a disproportionate and adverse impact on belief and confidence. Leave that to those miserable budgies!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:......any other manager would have seen what Fulham play like, and gone out and sorted a decent replacement urgently.....
Bullsh!t.
PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:02 pm

Wasn't at the game today so can't comment on the performance.
Sounds like Fulham played like they did last Boxing Day when they completely dominated the game and were imo the best side to visit Portman Road last season.
As for us if we had been told before the season started that we could have 12 points by the end of August I would have thought, yeah right! I don't think we will be a top 6 side this season but even a finish in the top ten would be a great improvement on last year especially if we try to play more attractive football and develop some of the youngsters
Will be at QPR in 2 weeks time cheering the boys on and hopefully seeing us get 3 points. Off to Malta on Wednesday to see another kick about on Friday evening and take in a few days of sunshine.
COYB!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:08 pm

bluemike wrote:Ash appears after our first defeat, seen f*ck all of him this season until now LOL.

:roll: I know I know, you've all missed me :lol: :D well I've been on a 4 week long golfing break, playing in senior golfing championships, all players must be 10 or under handicaps to qualify, playing at the Le Golf National, Stade de Francie, & Paris Country club, and boy am I knackered now, but wonderful scenic very hard tough courses to play, have kept in touch with Ipswich footie on my iPad, very pleased with the first 4 results, but we've a long way to go yet to get to the likes of the Fulham style of play, I cant see us getting anywhere near their quality, but who knows what the next game at QPR will bring, surely enough time to bring in a quality Centre Back ????

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:59 am

Can't grumble with 4 wins out of 5.

Be great to see us win, but can't help feel this was going to happen looking at the previous games. We did ride our luck previously and it's been great team spirit and never-say-die attitude that's got us through. Let's hope it's a bad day at the office against an in-form team and we can pick ourselves up next game.

When fit, let's hope Huws and Adeyemi add something to the midfield. The defence was creaking, but I thought the midfield was unable to stamp authority anywhere and not hold onto the ball and link with the front men.
Should have been 4 or 5 down before half-time, but ironically we could have gone in 1-1 at HT if Didsy had been more clinical before the break.

The defence is decimated, but I think the key to the whole season is the midfield. we'll get our defence fit again and should have fire power up front, but it's getting the right balance in midfield.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:07 am

One defeat by a well organised side and the defeatest come crawling out of the wood work......Cant believe some of the opinions ive read on the TWTD site....wow!

I quite liked the short interview McCarthey gave on football focus....Accepting his errors and disapointment of last season and being eager and excited about this season and hopeful of yet more arrivals before the window closes.

Yes loosing at home is pretty grim......but are we a better side than what was offered up last season? Are we not now going to games with a bit more encouragment in our hearts?

Town will always have its fair share of "grim reaper" supporters.....These are mainly the school of "77 to 82" supporters who were spoilt with what the great Sir Bobby Robson style of football....We enjoyed it and we will always judge our current staff up against it.

We are more competitive than last season and that for me is improvement enough. We have witnessed and indeed praised what some of our accademy are capable of producing. Be negative if it floats your boat, but be thankful of all the positives so far this season.

enjoy the season :wink: see you at QPR

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

Absolutely spot on L&P, it beggars belief the moron element who sh*t themselves after a bad result, most of them frequent TWTD by the way, we do get one or two on here at times. It is also true to say it is mainly the class of 77 to 82 as you put it, living in the past and slagging everything off that follows it. Cya at QPR !!!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am

Caption. Hey fatty that's a microphone not a ice cream.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

To be fair the stats in most games this season resembled today's and are luck finally run out. Let's hope we get a central defender and are midfield recovers fromy injury before we play QPR.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 am

It is true derick, we have rode our luck at times, but as I often read sometimes you make your own luck, it takes character to win 4-3 at a place like Millwall, just ask Norwich !! We took a battering in the first half at barnsley but steadied the ship and deservedly won, something Forest & Sunderland failed to do, both beaten. Again against Brentford we rode our luck in the first half and again played well enough second half to merit the points. Some of the negaive comments elsewhere seem to forget we have half a bloody team at the moment too.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Bullsh!t.

I wonder where this magical shop is where managers can click a finger and out comes a top class player for any position you need at short notice.
Come on Mick get a grip.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm

goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Bullsh!t.

I wonder where this magical shop is where managers can click a finger and out comes a top class player for any position you need at short notice.
Come on Mick get a grip.
Its at old trafford i think

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 pm

quote]

Bullsh!t.[/quote]

Come on Mick get a grip.[/quote]

Its at old trafford i think[/quote]

:)
I cant see Mick shopping there again after he was short changed on his last trip by 250k.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 am

goldandblack wrote:quote]

Bullsh!t.

Come on Mick get a grip.[/quote]

Its at old trafford i think[/quote]

:)
I cant see Mick shopping there again after he was short changed on his last trip by 250k.[/quote]
I was thinking more along the lines of Jose clicking his fingers not mick!