Callum Connolly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Callum Connolly

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 pm

England U20 international signs in season deal

Town have signed England U20 international Callum Connolly on a season long loan from Everton.

The 19-year-old defender progressed through the youth ranks at Goodison Park and made his Premier League bow for the Toffees against Southampton on April 2016. 

He had a month on loan at Barnsley in the 2015/16 season and then spent the second half of last term on loan at Wigan, scoring twice in 17 Championship appearances. 

An attacking right-back, he has been tracked by Town over the last 18 months. 

He was a member of the England U20 squad that won the World Cup at that level in the summer, playing twice in the tournament. 

Callum will meet up with his new team-mates on  Monday.     

patthegimp

Re: Callum Connolly

Post by patthegimp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks Mike

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:07 am

bluemike wrote:England U20 international signs in season deal

Town have signed England U20 international Callum Connolly on a season long loan from Everton.

The 19-year-old defender progressed through the youth ranks at Goodison Park and made his Premier League bow for the Toffees against Southampton on April 2016. 

He had a month on loan at Barnsley in the 2015/16 season and then spent the second half of last term on loan at Wigan, scoring twice in 17 Championship appearances. 

An attacking right-back, he has been tracked by Town over the last 18 months. 

He was a member of the England U20 squad that won the World Cup at that level in the summer, playing twice in the tournament. 

Callum will meet up with his new team-mates on  Monday.     
Whoppee do. Not impressed at all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 am

On the face of it it is an odd one for sure, as mentioned elsewhere I am sure he is thinking Iorfa can play in the middle with this lad at RB should the need arise but I would much rather have had a CB arriving instead.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 pm

According to Joe Royle, the lad is a very versatile defender. Royle says Callum has also been used in the CB role. At 6 foot 3, I'm sure he's decent in the air as well. It never hurts to have a surplus of defenders, especially when there's only slim-pickins on the transfer market.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm

That's good to hear then, not such a disastrous transfer deadline after all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Until he pulls a hammy in training next week!

(Ashford, get your negativity out my head ya bas! :D )

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Joe Royle also said that he hadn't spoken with MM about where the lad is likely to play. Obvious answer is - in goal! :D

Being labelled 'versatile' comes with it's own issues; similar to that other dreaded description 'utility player'. Also interesting that JR reckons the lad's best position may eventually trun out to be in midfield - 'he's got goals in him'. If so, then that provides MM with a further possibility. Still thin on hairy-arsed, fit and experienced CBs though.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

don't think he was our first choice, bit of a panic but needs must I guess. Ill give him a chance and see what MM is thinking. We really could do with the end of the season now to regroup and get some players back :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 pm

I think it's s case of old boys network to get ANY player in when all our first options failed. It's tough out there when we are competing with other clubs who are throwing money st players that they actually don't have to spend. The game in this Country is going to collapse like the pyramid sales scams of a few years ago. Sky need to feck off tbh !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:07 am

charlton837 wrote:We really could do with the end of the season now to regroup and get some players back :wink:
:D Got a chuckle out of that one. Nice.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 am

hallamblue wrote:The game in this Country is going to collapse like the pyramid sales scams of a few years ago. Sky need to feck off tbh.
That has been the thinking for years for many of us, and I agree......... but when? Just seems to get crazier and crazier. Speaking about the English Championship alone, there are clubs where I just can't figure out how they're still operating. Derby County for a start. I mean Derby County, who've spent literally over a hundred million past three years must look at Huddersfield Town and feel really, REALLY p!$$ed off.

And how long before a player costs A BILLION? That's not going to happen with Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale etc, but maybe in ten years? The next Messi or Neymar who is currently 11 years old? :lol: