QPR vs Ipswich Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways in London?

QPR Win
33%
Town Win
33%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 12

number 9

Re: QPR vs Ipswich Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

It'll be a really long season if MM goes back to his defensive malaise. Such a shame to hear the QPR reports after we started the season so brightly with our attacking strategy. I hope this was just a bad day at the office, and as a result MM gets his finger out...I know the players are to blame too, but it won't be the first time MM has stifled talent for defensive measures.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 am

Watching the highlights again and again and Knudsen really needs to take a look at himself for the p*ss poor attempt to win the header in the middle of the park, Downes needs to learn to play to the whistle as he stopped for the obvious handball. The second goal was laughable, Ward in particular was beaten easier than my dear Gran would have been and just let the player run away while Skuse & Downes should have been far more alert, silly little things that could have averted both goals.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 pm

True .. individual errors could have avoided a goal or both goals..

Fact is ... we deserved to lose. Didn't play well enough ... didn't create enough chances.

We could also look at why we didn't create enough chances over the 90 minutes ... team selection, tactics, substitutions... ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 pm

bluemike wrote:I really don't get the ridiculous Skuse witch hunt TBH, we did not lose the game because of Skuse, thats plain stupid but indicitive of the mentaility of Town fans when we lose a game. It seems when we win we win as a team but when we lose it is Cole Skuse's fault, hilarious. It is a 100% fact that most players on our team made more mistakes than Skuse did yesterday, our wondeful new strike force were pathetic and it wasn't down to lack of service at all, cus when they had the ball they were clueless, that does not mean suddenly I don't rate them cus I do, it means yesterday they were crap. All players in our team are responsible for creating chances, none of them did it yesterday, not just Skuse FFS. If we losy yesterday cus of Skuse then maybe we won the first Four because of him too.
It's not really a witch hunt on my part, Mike. As you know, I don't like Skuse as a player and never have done.
He's been with us since 2013/14, played in almost every game, and scored ONE goal. Pretty much sums up his mindset as far as I'm concerned: that goal per game ration is poor by standards for a defender, for a so-called midfielder it's woeful.
And it's a fact that since he's been here we do not create much at all from midfield - for me that's not just mere co-incidence.
With Adeyami now fit - and especially once Huws is back - I would like to see Skuse dropped for a few games to see if that improves matters.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm

tangfastic wrote:True .. individual errors could have avoided a goal or both goals..

Fact is ... we deserved to lose. Didn't play well enough ... didn't create enough chances.

We could also look at why we didn't create enough chances over the 90 minutes ... team selection, tactics, substitutions... ?
All of those things undoubtedly impacted on the performance; fine margins around good/poor decision making. But I think on Saturday, as a direct outcome of the Fulham footballing lesson, MM reverted to type - e.g. Caution first, worrying more about stopping the oppisition, as opposed to grabbing the initiative, and having the belief we could get a result by imposing our game on them. This led to a largely sterile performance against a team who, by no means in Fulham's orbit, was confident and sufficiently moivated enough to exploit our weaknesses and square pegs in round holes set up. Compare the nature of Sarurday's 2-1 defeat, to that against C Palace in the Haribo Cup. Miles apart!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:29 pm

herforder wrote:
tangfastic wrote:True .. individual errors could have avoided a goal or both goals..

All of those things undoubtedly impacted on the performance; fine margins around good/poor decision making. But I think on Saturday, as a direct outcome of the Fulham footballing lesson, MM reverted to type - e.g. Caution first, worrying more about stopping the oppisition, as opposed to grabbing the initiative, and having the belief we could get a result by imposing our game on them. This led to a largely sterile performance against a team who, by no means in Fulham's orbit, was confident and sufficiently moivated enough to exploit our weaknesses and square pegs in round holes set up. Compare the nature of Sarurday's 2-1 defeat, to that against C Palace in the Haribo Cup. Miles apart!
Please don't mention Haribo's , Herforder .. got a bit of a sweet spot for those little treats. :) thinks it's the Caribou Cup... Whatever.

I agree with you as well... Worrying more about stopping opposition than us worrying them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 pm

The thing is we are not going to just completely change our style just like that, there will be times when MM reverts back to what he knows best, I think saturday was one of those times more so because we are still well short of a full squad and while I don't exactly agree with it I do kinda get why it happened. As long as it is not the norm then I can go along with it sometimes. Bolton will be a good indicator because we really should be going for it saturday from the off.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:40 pm

You're right, Mike.
Bolton should be there for the taking. So a useful barometer to see where we are.

And we all know it's a 'bonkers' league because we've been constantly educated on that one... so we could lose. As long as we go out with the intent to win that's all I ask for. Not with a Douglas-Skuse-Hyam midfield combo mentality like we did against Rotherham at home a couple of seasons ago. That sticks in the minds of a lot of supporters that particular game. Should be with intent of 3 points whether we get them or not.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 pm

As much as MM must take responsibility for team set up and tactics, and notwithstanding the dire injury situation, I think some players must take a large slice of responsibility for both the Fulham and QPR performances. Apart from a discernible 'oh well, they're better than us' attitude, there were a number of basics - playing with high energy levels, fighting for and winning second balls; powder-puff tackles; being too easily out-muscled; poor passing etc etc.
All these things happen once the white line has been crossed, and should be addressed by those wearing the shirt.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Exactly Herforder, I made the point that at QPR we barely won a second ball, no manager in the world coaches that crap into his players !! Why oh why do we never come back from an International break with a positive result.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 pm

I think it is far to early in the season for people to start forming opinions about where we will end up come next May. I am not an MM fan and after last seasons debacle he has an awful lot to do to convince me he is the right man for the job. To be fair to him though, he has had one hand behind when it has come to team selection. Our crippling injury situation seems easily ignored by some and in fairness that cannot be laid at MM's door.

I do however think that Rossi has summed up the Skuse situation perfectly and I don't see, given that Bolton are up next, why MM doesn't drop him and give someone else a chance. One can always hope.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm

herforder wrote:Yes...move on! 4 x full backs in defence; central strikers played out wide; Skuse and Ward ineffective. Slow closing down, too little will to win - until Celina came on. Then too late! Can it be any worse. Well, actually, yes.

My buddy's pet mouse, Elvis, passed away today. He was caught in a trap.
"Caught in a trap I can't look back because I love you too much baby" (Suspicious Minds)