QPR vs Ipswich Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways in London?

QPR Win
33%
Town Win
33%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 12

BLUEBLOOD

Re: QPR vs Ipswich Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Caption Comp Entry 2 : Is it a Bird NO! is it a Plane NO! It,s seagull SH!T run for it lads.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:37 pm

WTF is happening at Loftus Road??? Nearly HT, no posts?

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:50 pm

marko69 wrote:WTF is happening at Loftus Road??? Nearly HT, no posts?
1-0 down

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Losing 1-0 was doing ok but created little, Bart made couple of saves, hand ball in the build up to their goal but not given. Connolly looks ok but his dead balls need work.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Losing 2-0. All too easy.. brushed of a couple of challenges and toe poked from outside the box. Thought Bart should have saved that one.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Put it down as two, they got a second to put us further behind.

Actually if statistics are anything to go by, they deserve this lead. Created far more opportunity and possession and one more would finish it. Other scores this day are less than favorable for top six position but still ample time for alteration.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Two poked from outside the box? Not seen it, but I'll have to agree that Bart should've got it. That opinion may change after seeing it later. Toe poked from outside the box ?????

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Big toe!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 pm

What a goal ... Celina!!!!

Lawrence-like.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 pm

marko69 wrote:Two poked from outside the box? Not seen it, but I'll have to agree that Bart should've got it. That opinion may change after seeing it later. Toe poked from outside the box ?????
It kind of looked like a toe poke. End of boot...no back lift ... :) just seemed Bart was slow to react.... bit slow motion. I was drinking though.

We'll have to wait for Mike.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Team lost today, obvious disappointment but prepared to halt further judgment until reading game report(s) on what occurred today. What's clear is the standout start we endured until recent is being slowly eradicated and we're losing position at the top reaches of the championship league. This is not to castigate any one individual because as before wish to read a full analysis of game events, but to lose three or four games like we have (irrespective of performance) after that wonder start does provide an element of dismay. Hope to read there was more to it today and we gave a good account of ourselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:Two poked from outside the box? Not seen it, but I'll have to agree that Bart should've got it. That opinion may change after seeing it later. Toe poked from outside the box ?????
It kind of looked like a toe poke. End of boot...no back lift ... :) just seemed Bart was slow to react.... bit slow motion. I was drinking though.

We'll have to wait for Mike.
Hopefully it wasn't a performance that now has Mike drinking!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 pm

saint jude wrote:....and we're losing position at the top reaches of the championship league.......
They're 4th -------> from 2nd! :lol:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Sorry to say it was back to normal service today!
Players out of position and course leaving it to late with Celina and the rest of his subs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes, it looked all QPR in the highlights, if they can be called "highlights".

Regarding the toe poke....... certainly was a toe poke and a goal Bart will definitely not want to see again. Obviously wasn't his fault as the defending was woeful, but he should've stopped it. Very lethargic getting down.

Forgettable game. Moving on....... hump Bolton next week.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes...move on! 4 x full backs in defence; central strikers played out wide; Skuse and Ward ineffective. Slow closing down, too little will to win - until Celina came on. Then too late! Can it be any worse. Well, actually, yes.

My buddy's pet mouse, Elvis, passed away today. He was caught in a trap.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:12 pm

2-1 to QPR flatters us. Very unfair result as it should have ended 3-0 or 4-0 to them. They were much better than us in every aspect and the match was the clear indication that McCarthy IS GOING BACK to his old ways. Large number of our fans are so easy to please but they need to know that bizarre August period is over.

I've been saying for a while that 4 wins last August have been papers over cracks and McCarthy isn't willing to change his ways. It's all about defence and stopping opposition from playing.

First half. Dear me !!! So terrible. No creativity whatsoever. The only positives were Downes, Connolly and a couple of good tackles from Skuse who (apart from those two tackles) himself was very poor. Downes what is clear to see has a big potential but when he's being told to stay in the same line with Skuse then he can't express himself. Our forwards who themselves have had a very quiet today got no service at all. Literally nothing in the middle but this is nothing new.
Connolly had a few nudges with Mackie and dealt well with him in general.
Our makeshift defence + Bialkowski has had a difficult time and 1-0 was the very least QPR deserved in the first half. Perhaps a handball in a build-up to the goal but they were dominant whereas we offered nothing.

Change of approach and personnel was imperative but you have to ask McCarthy why persisted with the same one. The lame shot from McGoldrick at the beginning of second half which was no problem at all for Smithies to save was the 'best' Town chance until final moments of the match. That shot came very shortly after QPR's second goal. Freeman wasn't closed down by defenders or Skuse. The latter wasn't even bothered to chase him down despite having been not far behind.

0-2 down but he stuck with the same team for the next 20 minutes after QPR's second goal. What was he waiting for? Moreover they kept creating chances and Bialkowski twice had to save us from their long shots. Luongo had a freedom of space and time but once again smashing, brilliant and so vital for us proper bloke Skusey wasn't bothered to block/stop/tackle Luongo. Why on earth their players were allowed to launch a few shots from 20-25 yards? That was Skuse's area.

What about us in that period of time? 0-2 down and we KEPT HOOFING. You don't know whether to laugh or cry. Hey 'Super Mick is Great' brigade that's your man for you.

And finally he decided to make changes and put Adeyemi and Sears on. Why not Celina?
Changes made but the proceedings remained the same as QPR kept threatening. We had no concept, not any shadow of ideas what to do.

Things changed though when Celina finally got introduced. From the very first moment you get an impression that he's very skillful and ought to be a starter. The manner in which he scored the goal tells that too. The moment in which he received the ball most of Town players would have crossed it pointlessly into the box.

All of sudden we started playing football. Last-gasp block from the QPR defender prevented Connolly from scoring and Adeyemi squandered very good chance and hit over the bar. You pull your hair when you see those two chances not being taken.

The draw would have been a bizarre result though given QPR's dominance.

Honestly I don't care if I'll be slated or insulted by McCarthys inners. Say what you want. The man is a stubborn fool and not open to any changes in his approach. Take Millwall away last month for example. We somehow had kept going forward in the first half and scored goals while today we hardly threatened QPR until Celina came on. Even if QPR is a better team than Millwall that isn't an excuse for not showing any attacking intent.

Bersant Celina. I presume he's going to be yet another 'failed McCarthys winger'. Yet another Tommy Oar who may get pissed off with this style. Best for him to cut short his loan spell in January and join a different team. QPR would be a good choice for him if they continue to play they did today. Quick, passing, attacking team and he would be able to express himself in that. Waste of time for him in Ipswich.
He's too good to be kept on the bench. He ought to have come on after the half time at very latest as we badly needed an entire change of approach. Why did this idiot McCarthy keep him on the bench for so long? He has been raving about him in the interview but what is the point of raving if such good player is warming the bench? Such terrible were we for the majority of the match especially the first half that his presence on the pitch could and would have made a difference as our strikers were starved of any service.

Skuse... I'd rather save my time and not produce a long rant about him. He's so bloody awful.

I may be told we have had an off-day, bad day at the office. I'm not buying that at all. This was typical abject McCarthy's performance and clear indication that his old ways remain his priority. You can have an off-day but you still have to show some attacking intentions. We only started playing after Celina's goal and that says all.

Very similar to the match against QPR at theirs two years ago (last Fraser's match for the club). They had been attacking while we hadn't been interested to threaten them and started playing in the last 2 minutes after Matt Phillips' goal. Same old, same old from McCarthy. But his brigade, 'Super Mick' inners will keep defending him. Next week if we beat Bolton they will be in a full voice and asking: 'where are the moaners tonight'? Too many of our fans are just happy with us drifting along in this league.

Positives? Celina's short presence. Any others? Yes there is as we don't have to play Derby in midweek. Certain David Nugent or Bradley Johnson would have a field day.

I've been impressed by QPR today and would love us to play like that. It irks me though when Holloway or other people from outside tell us we should count ourselves lucky with McCarthy.

Beating poor Bolton next week is imperative as the carnage at Leeds awaits afterwards.

Good away day out spoilt by football. Very disappointed and frustrated today as I can take losing as long as we show any initiative ourselves. But there was no initiative and I fear it's gonna be the same or even worse season than the last one.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:49 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:Positives? Celina's short presence. Any others? Yes there is as we don't have to play Derby in midweek.
Thanks for the review of the game there, MPB...... and apologies in advance for laughing out loud at that part quoted above. Shouldn't really be a laughing matter.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 pm

herforder wrote:My buddy's pet mouse, Elvis, passed away today. He was caught in a trap.
He couldn't get out?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:01 am

Great report Mach.what you say about Mccarthy is absolutely spot on the sooner he fucks off the better Ipswich Town will be.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 am

Caption Comp post match:
WELL It`s 1 for McCarthy
It`s 2 to get ready
It`s 3 get packing now GO MICK GO....we don't want you ohhhhhh we don't want you ohhhhh

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:32 am

For the first time this season I was really disappointed with us yesterday, yes in other games we have ridden our luck at times but we had still showed a will to win, the intention had been there to get forward, create chances and look to score, we had tried to play football as we want to see it played and everyone had looked to be playing for each other with that backs to the wall mentality, unfortunately I saw none of that at QPR yesterday, instead I saw a confused peformance from a side lacking cohesion, a side who failed to do the basics, our passing was astray, even the simplest little 5 yard passes were over hit or miscontrolled, getting forward was at a premium, very slow and laboured build up and when we did the strikers to be honest looked woeful and scared to take a shot, the few openings we did get we ran up blind alleys and dallied on the ball until we lost it, McGoldrick being the worst offender. Our delivery into the box was naff at best and all too often it was overhit to nobody, starting the game at 4-4-2 and switching early doors to 4-3-3 did in my opinion give us a big disadvantage in Midfield, we seemed second best to every single second ball while they always seemed to have an extra player to utilise.

The first half was actually not a disaster in as much as we limited them to 2 or 3 half chances which Bart was equal to and we seemed to be containing what they had to offer without ever really threatening their goal too much, a couple of efforts from washington failed to hit the target but the warning signs were there that they were going to be a threat, at the other end a couple of high balls were lofted into the firection of Garner with nothing coming from them. McGoldrick did have a weak header at goal midway through the half but again it was poor, while at the other end Bart saved well from Freeman following a rare slip from the impressive Downes. Not long after it looked for all the world that washington was going to score but a superb last ditch tackle by iorfa cleared the danger as the striker was about to pull the trigger. The back Four had done ok but never looked comfortable and I just do not get why Knudsen was moved back to LB after looking so competent at CB, the new boy Connolly had started ok too and often had Two players down his side to contend with, his defending looks solid but his freekicks into the box were woeful and he needs to wotk on them. Bart was called upon to turn away another Rangers effort, this time from an acute angle and you could sense we were needing HT to come. A rare attack from Town saw Didsy through but he contrived to turn himself inside out and failed to get a shot away, this came from a greaqt through ball from Downes who was only one really trying to make passes, he never hoofs it at all. The inevitable came a minute before the break and despite rangers deserving to be ahead it came following a hand ball in the build up that most seem to see except the ref, Mackie making no mistake with his shot passed a stranded Bart.

We had craved for some width and pace down the wings and change was needed, Celina & Rowe would have been the ideal choices to stretch Rangers more and get us running at them, alas we stayed with the same Eleven much to the annoyance of the Town fans behind the goal we were now attacking. The half was barely into it's stride when QPR doubled their lead and in doing so all but wrapped up the points even at that early stage. Luke Freeman was given all the time in the world to bring the ball forward as Town defenders stood off and watched him tee up his shot before stroking passed Bart who it has to be said deserved better protection but whos' efforts were also not great and he should also have done better. You just could not see us getting back into it from Two down. Following the goal it was end to end and open stuff but QPR always carried that extra threat and looked far more dangerous than we did, our passing game continued to be absent with play breaking down time after time. Washington and Luongo both drew saves from the big man in the Town goal while a decent bsll into the box from Connolly saw knudsen plant his header wide of the post when he really should have done better, it was a rare sight of goal for Town and our best chance to date.

Finally with 20 odd minutes left Mick decided to ring the changes with Adeyemi & Sears coming on, was pissed off with sears getting the nod ahead of Celina to be honest and later on we were to see why. An incredible goal mouth scramble saw us avoid going three down with bodies all over the place we somehow hacked it clea. With 15 minutes left Bersant Celina joined the action and it was a moive that didn't exactly change the game but it did see us become a more potent threat going forward. QPR were still creating half chances and looking the more likely to score with Smith apparently clipping the bar with his effort, something I did not see at the time. With time running out we somehow got back into it and it was all down to the skill and brilliance of Celina, cutting in from the left he ran by several Rangers players before unleashing a beast of a shot passed the well beaten Smithies and into the net, a cracking goal in every sense of the word. This is where I was so frsutrated as QPR suddenly looked a nervous wreck as we surged forward in search of a second, suddenly it was them all over the place and at times hanging on, Connolly's goal bound shot was charged down and even though we deserved nothing from the game Adeyemi had a glorious chance to level it up in the dying seconds, a teasing ball into the area from Celina saw the ball find its way to the big sub but after bringing the ball down he put it over the bar with goal gaping at his mercy.

It has to be said that apart from our late flurry following the arrival of Celina we had been poor and second best for much of the game, I was disappointed that our style of play reverted to the hoofing crap seen so often last season, the onlt time we treid to play it on the floor was through Downes and Ward aside from that we launched it. Up front Waghorn looked laboured and Garner lost, Didsy ran up so many blind alleyways and loves to overplay it, the Midfield sat so deep with Downes often not much further forward than Skuse that allowed them to come onto us. Our Fullbacks fouind it tough to get forward, Connolly did a bit but Knudsen was pegged back more often than not. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Celina made such a difference and has to start, his skill will cause defences problems, Rowe too may well have been a better option than Sears who it has to be said has had over two years of mediocrity now, any other club would have got rid of him.

Bart (7) Connolly (6) Iorfa (6) Spence (6) Knudsen (6) Ward (6) Skuse (6) Downes (7) Waghorn (5) Garner (5) McGoldrick (5)

SUBS :- Celina (8) Adeyemi (7) Sears (5)

Bad day at the office or back to the normal efforts of last season ? Only you can decide, me being ever the optimist hopes it is the former, many will fear it is the latter and August papered over wide cracks that are still there, however one cannot get away from the fact that we were p*ss poor yesterday in most departments, we got the starting line up wrong with Knudsen moving back to LB and a striker being played as a wide man when our potential match winner (Celina) sat on the bench, of course as I said hindsight is a wonderful thing. I don't believe QPR are that much better than us and player for player I would take our squad but yesterday we looked miles behind them, we have to get back to what we did at Millwall and barnsley and go gor it, show some attacking intent and create something cus we created sod all of any note for 85 minutes yesterday. I felt our Three home games this month are winnable and Nine points not out of our reach, anything away from home was going to be hard to come by, I still feel that but we have to improve on that showing or we will struggle against anyone. Bolton next week has to be a win, no ifs or buts and that will restore a little bit of confidence and end this Two game losing run which is not a disaster by any means, it is more the manner of the defeat that concerned me. A bad day at the office for me from a team still patched up, time will tell.
Last edited by Bluemike on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks Mike and Mach... great reports.

Bad day at office or back to mediocrity of last season?

For me at this stage.... I think we're likely to have more of these performances during the season.

MM seems to set up to play in our third or half. That just invites pressure. Even when we have fully fit CB's I would never say we're the best defensively. Very little goal intent up front gives confidence to the opposition. Can't rely on Bart every game or wonder strikes from Celini.

Mikes right ... we sat too deep. Be interesting when Huws (and Adeyemi) are fully fit. But first name in midfield team sheet will be Skuse. Can't single him out for this defeat, but Downes can sit deep and at least look up and spot a pass forward. Adeyemi is a box to box midfielder, whilst Skuse is a box to semi circle midfielder . We've had problems in midfield linking play forward for a long time and we need to look at the option of dropping Skuse. Not our worst player, but his game is limited. Won't happen though.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for the match report Mach & B Mike not too dissimilar reports, with the one outcome, Why oh why does Mick go for blocking up our defence, and allow teams to come on to us, this is an habitual habit with Mick going for a possible draw, No fooking way against better teams you will be crucified, and as Mach said why didn't Celina Start and open up the game, and Skuse has had his day with us, he needs dropping as he only plods between box to circle, and has not got the legs for chasing down, so when all our injuries are sorted out, and a more attack minded midfield in its place, we might just see a different team, I just knew that Mick would always resort back to Hoofball tactics and absolutely f*ck the whole game up for the travelling supporters, I'm never ever going to back Mick as our manager, I fooking hate him and his arrogance, and as to when we do start playing the ball on the ground its usually by mistake, of accidently having the right player playing in their correct position, so the sooner I see Mick leave our club the better,

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 pm

tangfastic wrote:Thanks Mike and Mach... great reports.

Bad day at office or back to mediocrity of last season?

For me at this stage.... I think we're likely to have more of these performances during the season.

MM seems to set up to play in our third or half. That just invites pressure. Even when we have fully fit CB's I would never say we're the best defensively. Very little goal intent up front gives confidence to the opposition. Can't rely on Bart every game or wonder strikes from Celini.

Mikes right ... we sat too deep. Be interesting when Huws (and Adeyemi) are fully fit. But first name in midfield team sheet will be Skuse. Can't single him out for this defeat, but Downes can sit deep and at least look up and spot a pass forward. Adeyemi is a box to box midfielder, whilst Skuse is a box to semi circle midfielder . We've had problems in midfield linking play forward for a long time and we need to look at the option of dropping Skuse. Not our worst player, but his game is limited. Won't happen though.
ever since Skuse arrived at the club, actually. It's a shame that MM seems intent on building the team around him, because he obviously has a negative effect on those playing around him. If I was MM, I would drop Skuse for a minimum of 8 games and see how our midfield does without him.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Or perhaps ME should consider dropping MM for the next 40 games! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:35 pm

I really don't get the ridiculous Skuse witch hunt TBH, we did not lose the game because of Skuse, thats plain stupid but indicitive of the mentaility of Town fans when we lose a game. It seems when we win we win as a team but when we lose it is Cole Skuse's fault, hilarious. It is a 100% fact that most players on our team made more mistakes than Skuse did yesterday, our wondeful new strike force were pathetic and it wasn't down to lack of service at all, cus when they had the ball they were clueless, that does not mean suddenly I don't rate them cus I do, it means yesterday they were crap. All players in our team are responsible for creating chances, none of them did it yesterday, not just Skuse FFS. If we losy yesterday cus of Skuse then maybe we won the first Four because of him too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 pm

It's simple. He's undroppable and he's consistently been part of a team which struggles going forward and creating chances over a long period of time. It all adds up.

If we make changes... it will be Downes or Ward being dropped.

The team is being set up to play to Skuse's strength.... it's no wonder we're deep and always behind the ball.

Can't remember in recent times where our midfield has taken the game by the scruff of the neck. Something's missing.

Why is it so bad or inconceivable that other players could be preferred to Skuse? Other players get dropped.... why not Skuse?

He's not responsible for yesterday's defeat, but until he's shown the same treatment by MM as he does to others, then he'll be picked out by fans.

Really can't understand why certain players are undroppable ..... unless they are absolutely streets ahead of other players.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:44 pm

What really pissed me off yesterday was yet again Mick took so long to make any substitutions even when we went 2 down.
It was quite obvious that things weren't working even before QPR got their 2nd but when they did score again he seemed determined to leave things just the same for as long as possible.
How the feck Celina wasn't brought on earlier god knows.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm

tangfastic wrote:It's simple. He's undroppable and he's consistently been part of a team which struggles going forward and creating chances over a long period of time. It all adds up.

If we make changes... it will be Downes or Ward being dropped.

The team is being set up to play to Skuse's strength.... it's no wonder we're deep and always behind the ball.

Can't remember in recent times where our midfield has taken the game by the scruff of the neck. Something's missing.

Why is it so bad or inconceivable that other players could be preferred to Skuse? Other players get dropped.... why not Skuse?

He's not responsible for yesterday's defeat, but until he's shown the same treatment by MM as he does to others, then he'll be picked out by fans.

Really can't understand why certain players are undroppable ..... unless they are absolutely streets ahead of other players.
I have no problem at all with Skuse or anyone else being dropped, that is not the issue, its the continual blaming him when we lose, until yesterday we had very few midfield options anyway so dropping him just wasnt possible, maybe now Adeyemi is finally fit we have options but like you i dont see skuse being dropped anytime soon. Sears went 40 odd barren games without being dropped and i dont remember the same witch hunt with him. Its all about favourites, Douglas was hounded out while Bru got away with pretty much no criticism as such. I know who the better player was.