Ipswich vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Important to Win This One?

Ipswich Win
87%
Bolton Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

bluepeter

Re: Ipswich vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by bluepeter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 pm

15 points out of 21 that is not relegation fodder.
Keep going Town.A good thumping of the scum....please.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Thought Knudsen had a good game. Oops, no he was injured. MM apparently lied in his pre-match interview (or, alternately, failed to mention it). No point in giving the opposition advance intelligence. But someone on here did mention it. :wink: Joking apart, Kenlock grabbed his opportunity well, and put in a very solid performance. He needs to keep at that level consistently, but has shown he has the ability.

Well done to the boys for grafting away, getting the win and 3 points. In truth two at best average Cship teams, separated by that additional bit of quality that McG and Celina provided.
There's a potentially exciting and effective partnership lurking, if MM can bring himself to see Celina as something other than a luxury player, best deployed from the bench. He's worth paying money to watch!

Got to keep working on improving the nuts and bolts of individual performances. Unglamorous,
but providing the foundation for upping the team's ability to compete against some very strong teams in this league.

In the meantime, let's enjoy today's result and looking at the table as it currently stands.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Too right herforder !!

Fifth in the table ....... game in hand ........ and WELL above the scum !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 pm

herforder wrote:Thought Knudsen had a good game. Oops, no he was injured. MM apparently lied in his pre-match interview (or, alternately, failed to mention it). No point in giving the opposition advance intelligence. But someone on here did mention it. :wink: Joking apart, Kenlock grabbed his opportunity well, and put in a very solid performance. He needs to keep at that level consistently, but has shown he has the ability.

Well done to the boys for grafting away, getting the win and 3 points. In truth two at best average Cship teams, separated by that additional bit of quality that McG and Celina provided.
There's a potentially exciting and effective partnership lurking, if MM can bring himself to see Celina as something other than a luxury player, best deployed from the bench. He's worth paying money to watch!

Got to keep working on improving the nuts and bolts of individual performances. Unglamorous,
but providing the foundation for upping the team's ability to compete against some very strong teams in this league.

In the meantime, let's enjoy today's result and looking at the table as it currently stands.
Maybe MM can become the unused sub, and Celina can manage the team? :lol: Well done, lads! A win is win. What's happened to the Ranger's boys? And has Downes become another Academy Casualty...he hasn't been the same since returning from injury. Nice to see Nydam on the bench. ..maybe he'll get a game before long. COYB!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:44 pm

When do we play the game in hand, fucks sake one victory in that (and) we're top position in the league, seems almost too good to be true. Are we as good as that ? Doubtless no, but after 15 years in this damn division who gives a sh*t how it arrives.

Bottom line reading the game report from Those Were The Days and subsequent response from an array of individuals, seems it was something of a game to forget - Bolton were not two goals worse as the scoreline indicates - and as is so often, Bart Bialkowski was pivotal in our success and something of a match winning figure. Not only that, himself and two or three others aside, we seem to possess a largely ineffective squad that appear nowhere near as competent as fifth place would suggest.

Feel an element of sympathy for the opposition, founder members of the league and just arrived back after a spell in the third tier of the game and can't seem to do a damn thing right. Regardless of victory today would hope they address their situation soon enough and can pull away from where they find themselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:16 am

Jaysus H f**king Christ on a popsicle stick. Ipswich Town largely incompetent, (in 5th after 7, potentially 1st after 8 ) ..... and f**king best wishes to f**king Bolton?

Fk off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:23 am

Some of our wonderful fans are never f**king happy, no we werent great but we won ffs, the position we have put ourselves in with a horrendous injury list should be applauded. I think some of our wonderful fans support the wrong team, if you can call it support, f*ck off and support someone else is my advice.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 am

number 9 wrote:
herforder wrote:Thought Knudsen had a good game. Oops, no he was injured. MM apparently lied in his pre-match interview (or, alternately, failed to mention it). No point in giving the opposition advance intelligence. But someone on here did mention it. :wink: Joking apart, Kenlock grabbed his opportunity well, and put in a very solid performance. He needs to keep at that level consistently, but has shown he has the ability.

Maybe MM can become the unused sub, and Celina can manage the team? :lol: Well done, lads! A win is win. What's happened to the Ranger's boys? And has Downes become another Academy Casualty...he hasn't been the same since returning from injury. Nice to see Nydam on the bench. ..maybe he'll get a game before long. COYB!
Yes whats going on with the Rangers boys ? They were on fire for the first few games,now the goals have dried up..Guess they are getting no service.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:55 am

bluemike wrote:Some of our wonderful fans are never f**king happy, no we werent great but we won ffs, the position we have put ourselves in with a horrendous injury list should be applauded. I think some of our wonderful fans support the wrong team, if you can call it support, f*ck off and support someone else is my advice.
Maybe i will. You can watch that sh*t and be happy because we won but I can't claim.amy enjoyment. I was totally bored by the rubbish on show yesterday. I hadn't posted after the previous games because of the reaction it would get. We are very lucky to have rhe points we have. Very few have been deserved.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:58 am

You've had that opinion for some considerable time now but still you put yourself through it and ruin it for others who are maybe more understanding of our situtaion and limitations.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Well the table does not lie. I can't understand those claiming that there are stronger teams below us. Clearly they don't have the points.

HOWEVER, until 10-15 games have taken place single results can result in large movements up and down the table so we should not read too much into it. Norwich are closing up after just a couple of wins and Villa too.

15 points from 7 games IS promotion form but it need to be kept going for more than 7 games to be considered seriously. In the meantime give the team and management credit please for what they have achieved.

One thing we can say though is that right now there is no runaway leader and all of the top team so far have been beaten by supposedly 'weaker' teams. If it carries on like this it's going to be a classic season and we can be in the mix. Next we have to fashion a draw or better against Leeds.......

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:34 pm

I think where we are as a team will be shown against Leeds. A good performance hopefully taking the game to them and not sitting deep will do me whether we win, draw or lose by the odd goal. Hope for the win of course :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:24 pm

To be honest how we perform at Leeds will be a good measure of how much/if we've improved and possibly what to expect from the current season. So far we've played 7 games against mainly bottom half of the table teams with only 11th place QPR an exception.
Leeds are far from invincible at Elland Road and have yet to concede a goal there, however this hasn't stopped both Preston and Fulham coming away with goalless draws which would be a great result for us. After yesterday's 1-0 defeat at Millwall they'll hardly be brimming with confidence despite topping the table, but to come away with more than a point really would exceed reasonable expectations.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Who is reasonable

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:13 pm

The ability to get results, whilst being the better footballing team, are not necessarily linked. But it's a results driven business, and that's what matters most to owners, managers and players. Supporters have the option to accept and be satisfied with that; or not!

I think the next 3 games, bringing us to 10 played, will provide a truer indication of where we are. But the one thing that's predictable, is that this league is totally unpredictable! Or, in Mick's parlance, totally bonkers.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Andym wrote:
bluemike wrote:Some of our wonderful fans are never f**king happy, no we werent great but we won ffs, the position we have put ourselves in with a horrendous injury list should be applauded. I think some of our wonderful fans support the wrong team, if you can call it support, f*ck off and support someone else is my advice.
Maybe i will. You can watch that sh*t and be happy because we won but I can't claim.amy enjoyment. I was totally bored by the rubbish on show yesterday. I hadn't posted after the previous games because of the reaction it would get. We are very lucky to have rhe points we have. Very few have been deserved.
You really can't get any enjoyment from seeing us winning games, just because the manner of it isn't exciting enough? I really can't understand the logic there but then again I'm too young to have been spoiled by Robson and Burley.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Jack i'm not too young to remember Robson & Burley but like you I can't get the logic either.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Well the table does not lie. I can't understand those claiming that there are stronger teams below us. Clearly they don't have the points.

HOWEVER, until 10-15 games have taken place single results can result in large movements up and down the table so we should not read too much into it. Norwich are closing up after just a couple of wins and Villa too.

15 points from 7 games IS promotion form but it need to be kept going for more than 7 games to be considered seriously. In the meantime give the team and management credit please for what they have achieved.

One thing we can say though is that right now there is no runaway leader and all of the top team so far have been beaten by supposedly 'weaker' teams. If it carries on like this it's going to be a classic season and we can be in the mix. Next we have to fashion a draw or better against Leeds.......
Yep, agree with all of this. ^

And thanks for the indepth match report.

Two things about "didsy"; 1/ please don't get injured, especially at hard as nails Leeds, and 2/ please stop trying to be the hero in EVERY attack. That's three match reports I've now read that speak of McGoldricks reluctance to play the more obvious ball for a clearer chance.

Very much looking forward to the Leeds game. (Well, the highlights & reports! :D ) This really will be a test, the biggest of the season and the starting line-up, formation really will be interesting indeed. No midweek training injuries please. And let's see Celina on for a bit longer.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:08 am

Marko I get what you mean about Didsy, I even thought the same. But one goal and one assist in a 2-0 victory..... you can't really argue with that.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

Didsy is the most technically gifted player we possess; had he not played on Saturday, then we probably would not have won. To say that he's not a 'team' player, or selfish in front of goal, is bobbins. He always works his nuts off all over the pitch, partly to cover the fact that his team mates are not of his standard or ability - a fact they acknowledge. If he gets himself into positions to have a pop at goal, then he's more than earned the right to go for it. We should be delighted to have a totally committed player, with a bit of arrogance and self-belief, and who frightens the opposition, and not nit pick away at him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:25 am

My two things were (in order of importance) 1/ Don't get injured. ITFC needs David McGoldrick.

And then 2/...... lets not always be the hero. One goal and one assist is great. But ITFC potentially could've scored more. And that could be vital in other games.

Definitely not "nit picking" at McGoldrick, but merely making a rational comment after match reports.

David....... if you read the forum, you knew what I meant eh? I'm sure you did you greedy b*stard!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

herforder wrote:Didsy is the most technically gifted player we possess; had he not played on Saturday, then we probably would not have won. To say that he's not a 'team' player, or selfish in front of goal, is bobbins. He always works his nuts off all over the pitch, partly to cover the fact that his team mates are not of his standard or ability - a fact they acknowledge. If he gets himself into positions to have a pop at goal, then he's more than earned the right to go for it. We should be delighted to have a totally committed player, with a bit of arrogance and self-belief, and who frightens the opposition, and not nit pick away at him.
Agree totally. We need that extra bit of class and someone willing to spark something. Celina is someone who came on and he immediately sparked something which got Didsy playing better. If Didsy is being a bit selfish and wasting chances, then its better than others not even being able to create chances - but being unselfish. Didsy might be frustrating, but I do see him trying to get things moving when we're struggling to impose ourselves on games. I think he needs to be cut a bit of slack.

We really do need that extra one or two who can offer that bit of x-factor, because if we're just only hairy-arsed and huff and puff, then we'll continue to put in performances all season like in the first half against Bolton. If we only have 11 triers with hairy arses on the field, then we'll always be under the cosh and just hoping for a bit of luck.

I know there's a bit of handbags going on about the style of play vs results - but whist enjoying a win.. it doesn't mean burying our heads in the sand and think everything's all rosy. First half on Saturday was sh*t - and MM had to bring on Celina because his team was no better than a poor side. We can't play Bolton every week. Whilst enjoying a win and the 5 league wins, I'm not sure still how we'll get on this year over the 46 games.

A bit of sympathy for AndyM - he doesn't enjoy the football and is prepared to say so. What's wrong with that?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:29 am

Not everyone enjoying the win is thinking everything is rosy, Tang. I'm actually reading the opposite in most areas. Most are saying it's f**king Shyte but let's enjoy the win. AndyM is saying it's Shyte and it's Shyte and basically it's all Shyte with even more Shyte. But there's nothing wrong with that. And Andy doesn't need spoon fed. He can follow up with comments to the reactions to his comments. That's what forums are all about, no?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Don't get me wrong Didsy was MOTM as said in my report but he was selfish on at least Two occasions when a relatively easy pass would almost certainly have resulted in a goal, not nit picking just stating a fact, on another day against better opposition he could have cost us the win, swings and roundabouts but i have repeatedly said he is the most gifted player on our books.

At no point by the way have i said everything is rosy, read it again, Marko has answered it perfectly.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 pm

I suggest we all wait to see how we play against zLleeds. Will it be a total backs to the wall with 5 across the back and Skuse in front or will we try to press and isrupt their game. As said before if we win,free or lose by the odd goal I will take that especially if we go for it. More than happy now with 5/7 and though I would love it if they all had been won with dash and bravura I am also content with points gained despite some poor displays. Go for it Mick

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 pm

For a team that were labeled a relegation favorite back in July we have passed considerable expectation. Fair enough there's invariably a difference of opinion after game time with us and it's all too easy for talk to degenerate into something approaching menace, but no sense in hostilities when we all root for the same team and possess the same interest. We all want the club to succeed, it only gets mislaid in the heat of a moment or some issue of opinion arises. It's what makes a forum - without it platforms such as this wouldn't exist. (Said before) Perhaps more colorful than TWTD, got just the right level of participation without spoiling things and concise, articulate reading.