Leeds United v Ipswich Town preview and matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Real Test - How will we fare?

Leeds Win
53%
Town Win
7%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 15

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Leeds United v Ipswich Town preview and matchday thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Sat in a cab going back to hotel listening to bbc leeds. HOW FUCKIN BIAS!! TALKING BOLLOCKS

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Sounds like lads had a good go today especially 2nd half.
That's all we can ask of them and hopefully it will continue.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Not very often Bart has a bad game but just seen the goals and thought he could have done better with his positioning on the goals.
1st goal he was off his line running backwards.
2nd goal he came out and stopped he should have got to the player and ball.
The 3rd goal he caught and dropped it over line why not punch it clear.
Bart has saved us more times than I can remember so a one off game is allowed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:04 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:Bart has saved us more times than I can remember so a one off game is allowed.
Nope, not allowed. Bart the fk out.

Seriously though, reports all sounding better than the final score so it's not a complete wasted trip for the fans.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
BLUEBLOOD wrote:Bart has saved us more times than I can remember so a one off game is allowed.
Nope, not allowed. Bart the fk out.

Seriously though, reports all sounding better than the final score so it's not a complete wasted trip for the fans.
Some fans said this would be the test of the team and I think we passed.
Some people were saying we were going to get thrashed by Leeds but I think we held our own with them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Never good losing, but Town did fine.

Lots of sloppy defending all round for all the goals, not just Bart error.

Even saw a 60 yard peach of a pass from Skuse to Garner. Another collectors item.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm so proud of the boys tonight. A game that I thought would end in a convincing defeat still ended in defeat but it really doesnt't show the true picture of the game. For much of the 90 minutes we more than matched the League leaders and current best team in the division, in fact for the most of the second half we bossed it and but for some sloppy defending and uncharacteristic individual errors we would have taken at the very least a point from the match, it was no more than we deserved.

The game started pretty much as I envisaged the whole afternoon would go with Leeds knocking the ball around and probing at our defence which it has to be said as early as the third minute was put under even more pressure with a harsh Yellow card against Jordan Spence, Eighty Seven minutes to keep your discipline against that lot is no easy task. Despite coping quite well with the early exchanges we found ourselves a goal behind within the first quarter of an hour, a ball from a Leeds defender split us wide open and the guy was in acres of space to take it on and fire across Bart and into the goal, it really was so simple and to leave the player unmarked was just poor defending, for me this was the only goal that I thought could not be partially blamed on Bart. Despite the blow of going behind Town were playing some ok stuff and stroking the ball around at times pretty well, half chances were coming at either end with Didsy at the forefront of most good things for Town. It was evident that getting at the Leeds defence was unsettling them and they looked anything but solid and strangely we were causing the problems with high balls into the box. Town had got themselves back into the game and at times were on top and arounfd the half hour mark we got a deserved equaliser as Didsy was left free to head home Grant Wards freekick much to the delight of the travelling 700, suddenly the Leeds faithful fell silent surprised at our positive response. The joy was short lived however as all too often with Town we concede almost straight away, another move down our left saw Phillips fire under the hesitant Bart who really should have kept coming once committed, there were also questions to be raised about Knudsen whoi again looked to be caught out, just as he did for the opener, it came at a time we had had a very good spell in the game and had Leeds on the back foot. With the half nearing it's end we had Chambo to thank for pulling off a great block when they looked like making it Three but there was still time for us to go even closer to making it 2-2 as Chambers saw his header cleared off the line. There had been much to be pleased with in the opening half but we gifted them Two goals which made it a mountain of a task although I kept saying there was a t least another goal in it for us as they looked rattled at the back several times, the big question was could we shore up our own defence.

What we saw after the break made me proud of the team today as we pretty much bossed it, of course Leeds had half chances and breaks as we attacked but by and large it was our half and as MM said we really had them by the throat for long spells. As with last week against Bolton Mick again switched the formation, this time apparently going with a Diamond formation in Midfield and boy did it work. A couple of efforts from Nydam & Knudsen failed to trouble the keeper but shortly after it looked for all the world like Didsy was going to get his second, a super ball from Garner saw the striker clean through but a last ditch tackle from the impressive Ayling somehow stopped what looked like a certain goal. Midway through the half it was heartbreak again for Town as following a couple of Leeds chances Bart inexplicably dropped a routine cross over his own line when under little pressure, we just couldn't believe it, the 3-1 score was so unjust and another silly error looked to have cost us.

But this Town team are not to be denied and a couple of minutes later we got ourselves deservedly back into it again, Iorfa had got forward and played in a teasing cross which the Leeds keeper made a bit of a hash of and there was Joe Garner to drive the ball home, 2-3 and game very much on. It was oh so evident that we were the team in the ascendancy and Leeds were playing on the break by now and looking like an away side as we continued to spray the ball around with a calm assurance not often witnessed by Town fans, we were growing in confidence the longer the game went on. Despite our dominance we just could not get the break through to get back level, Sears had the best chance but it was blocked while other balls delivered into the box just would not fall kindly for us. It says it all that 33000 Leeds fans were crying out for the final whistle to blow as there was only one team likely to score, alas it never came.

I am so disappointed with the result but certainly not what I saw today, it showed we can compete with and outplay the so called best teams in this division because for much of the game we did just that, it shows we can pass the ball around in an attractive manner, it showed we can score goals, it showed we have great team spirit and it showed we have reasons to be hopeful of a very good season, of course it also shows that we need to improve defensively as we beat ourselves today, bart won't have many poorer games and we surely can't gift too many easier goals away than the first Two, that is really the only negative from today, gone is the myth that we haven't played anyone yet cus we've just gone toe to toe with the league leaders. We deserved at the very least a point, some would say all Three, the ref didn't help us much at all either, no big decisions but he gave them so many of the 50/50 decisions. I thought Didsy was superb again today while at the back Chambo and Spence made some key blocks etc, Iorfa got his assist and did ok, it was down the left where we struggled with Knudsen again showing he is no LB and Nydam too may well have offered him a bit more cover but that said the kid had a decent game in other areas. Skuse and Adeyemi did their bit while Ward improved as the game wore on, Garner needed his goal and that guy is just a battering ram who loves the physical battles. Today is a day Bart will want to forget.

Bart (5) Iorfa (6) Chambers (7) Spence (6) Knudsen (5) Ward (7) Skuse (7) Adeyemi (6) Nydam (6) Garner (7) Didsy (8)

SUBS :- Celina (6) Sears (6) Waghorn (5)

At present we still see ourselves in the top six, at least until tomorrow, Two home games next week can see us cement our place near the top, Six points, or at the very least Four will see us close to the top and with that game in hand to come. I really do think that we can do something this season, getting Webster & Huws back is key as they are Two big players for us and it will give us so many options. I feared a big defeat today, I really should have had more belief as this team are ok, they can be much better, sort out the sloppy defending and we need not fear anybody. COYB'S

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Wot Mike said ^^^

Ps Mike having just seen the goals again tv tonight I think the player MM may have been alluding too ," not tracking back", was Knudsen (surprise, suprise -not)!! For the two Leeds goals they managed to score themselves, Knudsen was literally jogging back towards our goal once the Leeds player had got past him.

f**king drop him McCarthy, he's crap at Left Back !!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:44 am

The team appears more robust than before and we won't fall down for opposition teams as was witnessed so often last season. Obvious disappointment to have beaten this day but have taken in reaction on both TWTD and The Square Ball and analysis has it we showed a lot of character at times and even Leeds by their own admittance, were honest enough to disclose they were somewhat fortunate to have seen victory and played an opposition who (if continue as we did today) could well occupy a position in the play-off zone by end of season.

Bialkowski made an error, hard to say a bad word about the player, has been a standout individual for this club often enough and has been a pivotal part for results that have gone our way. Today a mistake proved costly, but you live and learn, sure it won't cause any long lasting damage to confidence. Still arguably one of this clubs most valuable assets.

34,000 were in attendance, bear in mind the position they found themselves in at time of game, but there was only a small number of traveling fans that made the trip. Don't know what allocation we were given, just expected a higher number for the journey. Those that made it to Elland Road would have been considerably lifted by a better performance from ourselves and in the end, and with a bit of extra fortune, we could have easily taken a point from the trip. Still in a good position to challenge, we have taken more points from the opening round of games than many could have ever envisaged.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 am

Fantastic second half performance especially. Came up expecting a 3-0 defeat, but we more than matched Leeds. Cut out the silly defensive lapses and we could've come away with all three points. Of course i want to see my team win, but definitely not going to complain about our level performance.Proud to be a Blue.

Was nice to meet you both BlueMike and Hallam, always good to put names to faces.
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:45 am

Have to agree with both Mike and Liz with their respective thoughts. Even up to the final whistle,unlike at QPR, I felt we could still get something from the game. Didzy was outstanding and was clearly a class above any of the 22 out on the field.

How on earth Leeds are up their beggers belief. I am of the opinion that they have as much chance of being their at the end of the season,than getting a w*nk off the pope!!

Town are still at the right end of the table with a skelleton squad and we need to remember it. Dont get carried away and certainly dont despair........The best is yet to come. enjoy the season :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 am

611-4-ITFC wrote:Fantastic second half performance especially. Came up expecting a 3-0 defeat, but we more than matched Leeds. Cut out the silly defensive lapses and we could've come away with all three points. Of course i want to see my team win, but definitely not going to complain about our level performance.Proud to be a Blue.

Was nice to meet you both BlueMike and Hallam, always void to put names to faces.
Was great to meet you too buddy, a real pleasure, must do it again some time

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Shame we didn't get what we deserved. Let's hope the performance gives them confidence to win the next two home games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 pm

611-4-ITFC wrote:Was nice to meet you both BlueMike and Hallam, always good to put names to faces.
And were there names from you too, buddy? It wasn't full blown Star Wars stuff was it?

"Hi Mike and Liz, pleasure to meet you. I'm 611-4, this here is my wife 612-42 DD and my sons, ThruPenny bit and ThruPenny boba fett."

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm

marko69 wrote:
611-4-ITFC wrote:Was nice to meet you both BlueMike and Hallam, always good to put names to faces.
And were there names from you too, buddy? It wasn't full blown Star Wars stuff was it?

"Hi Mike and Liz, pleasure to meet you. I'm 611-4, this here is my wife 612-42 DD and my sons, ThruPenny bit and ThruPenny boba fett."
Love it, think it went something like that :lol: . Trouble is being a Mark born in 1969 some bar steward beat me to my ideal name on here :wink: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 pm

A great game to follow would so love to have been there. Always happier to lose 3-2 than follow a 0-0 bore draw. Some you win eg Millwall 3-4 Town, and some you lose, but so much better for the fans to see your team perform.

One thing this result tells you is that Town are now good enough to give it a go regardless of the opposition.

Well done Mick McCarthy and well done to the boys on the pitch.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm

611-4-ITFC wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Love it, think it went something like that :lol: . Trouble is being a Mark born in 1969 some bar steward beat me to my ideal name on here :wink: :lol:
Aw man, no way!! Serious? :D

Us Marko69's must stick together!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Marko69 wrote:Aw man, no way!! Serious? :D

Us Marko69's must stick together!
Yes totally, must have been a good year....for Marks at least! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Was a great year, 611...... the year we graced the world with our presence....... and the year Sir Bobby took over at ITFC! :D