REFEREES & PLAYERS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

REFEREES & PLAYERS

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 pm

It's been a while since I've vocally shouted at the TV. But I just did. Anyone watching the Schalke v Bayern game? Probably not, but the first goal was a penalty. Ball going out, player slid, handled it etc, all very quick, and ref didn't see it. There is about a 40 second wait while they go to the man in the booth. The Ref then SIGNALS with his hands, the shape of a TV, to denote that it's been watched on a TV somewhere, and then points to the spot. The Schalke players STILL went nuts and surrounded the ref. I ain't kidding, I would've sent at least two Schalke players off, one of them the goalkeeper. Even after TV evidence, they STILL can't accept an officials decision. Top refs need more powers in my opinion.

J4ck22

Re: REFEREES & PLAYERS

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Referees can never win these days. They get scrutinized on every decision, whilst having very little support from the FA to bring down justice on those twatty players who can't accept a decision. The FA really need to crack down on this and back their referees, otherwise it will just keep happening.

It always makes me think of the Play-off game at PR against Bolton. I've never seen such aggressive crowding of the ref, it was beyond a joke that they got away with that.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 am

J4ck22 wrote:Referees can never win these days. They get scrutinized on every decision, whilst having very little support from the FA to bring down justice on those twatty players who can't accept a decision. The FA really need to crack down on this and back their referees, otherwise it will just keep happening.

It always makes me think of the Play-off game at PR against Bolton. I've never seen such aggressive crowding of the ref, it was beyond a joke that they got away with that.
The primary objective for any referee should be to minimize your own appearance and be as inconspicuous as possible. While the majority are fair and impartial, instances of corruption have been well documented and blatant misuse of power has seen eventual discovery. (FC Anderlecht / Nottingham Forest 1984 being one prime example)

On the whole of it, being a senior match official is a tough and arduous journey, something that requires considerable dedication and the last post raises a valid point that officials - on occasion - are treated without due respect and some individuals believe they have a license to overly berate or intimidate those in authority or to make their own decisions.

Also with the last submission, what penalty could the Football Association feasibly impose to eradicate such behavior ? Issue fines ?, f*ck that, no players of today would miss much from deduction of salary. Incur a match ban or prohibition of involvement for a specific time ?

The latter would be a better alternative but even then would seem maybe extreme. Best guess would be leave it as it remains - the rules have remained consistent for long enough and most of the time decisions are warranted and players behave in a professional manner. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, would arise to prominent thought.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 am

The whole point of starting the thread, Saint was to say that the referee motioned that the incident had been watched on a TV by someone in a booth somewhere. The handball was blatantly obvious on the replay on that TV......, but still not good enough for a few Schalke players.

If "proof" doesn't solve the petulance, nothing will.