Ipswich vs Sunderland Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Very much a winnable fixture?

Ipswich Win
88%
Sunderland Win
13%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 8

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Sunderland Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:33 am

tangfastic wrote:Waghorn must be a starter next game.... real competition for places now.
Yes, Waghorn is a class act. And according to a couple of The Sevco Rangers buddies, he always performed better in front of a full house @ Ibrox. Very happy he's at ITFC.

Don't want to get too far ahead with the thoughts, but it could be a very good season indeed. Just don't let that "bonkers" phenomenon find its way in the door @ PR vs Bristol City.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 am

Fast coming to the conclusion that I should have given my season ticket up years ago and just pick and choose my games.
Seen 4 games so far this season, 2 home and 2 away which has resulted in 3 wins, 1 defeat and 12 goals scored by Town, Not a bad return!. When we scored our 3rd goal last night I thought I had been transported back in time as it was a goal the 80-81 side would have been proud of. Also, where have these long cross field passes with the accuracy that Kim Jong Un and his cronies seek with one of their missile tests come from?
Next up for me is the scum game and another 5 goals for us would do nicely!

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:53 am

bluemike wrote:Wow !!!! What a Five star performance from Town. It was so important to back up the Leeds game with another positive showing to dispel any fears that it was a one off and the lads did it in some style. Upon seeing the starting line up I was actually concerned we had gone too attack minded and that our fragile defence was going to be left exposed to the Sunderland counter attack and while that was the case on a few occasions Town really had way too much going forward and Sunderland just could not cope with it, a side containing Garner, McGoldrick, Waghorn and Celina had to create chances and we did it in abundance.

From the off Town took the game to the visitors and as early as the 6th minute we took the lead from a deft flicked header from Martyn Waghorn, reacting quickest to Garner's cross he angled his header just right to leave Steele with no chance, it was just the start we craved against fragile opposition. Once again we fail to defend after scoring and from a corner we gift them a free header with Iorfa looking to have lost his man all too easily. Despite the set back Town really were on top and the lively Waghorn was causing them all sorts of problems as was celina who delivered Two or Three quality balls into the box from which Garner had a half chance from a header. Chances were coming Town's way with regularity and waghorn spurned a great chance to grab his second as his effort went wide. It wasn't long before we did get back in front, Celina being ushered away by waghorn who fired in a rocket of a corner for Jordan Spence to meet it with a perfect header that sailed into the net, it was no more than Town deserved as apart from the one lapse we really deserved to be at least a goal ahead. It was all Town with Waghorn having a wail of a time, Skuse was very effective in the Middle of the park and Adeyemi was marshalling Sunderlands playmaker Luke Cattermole really well, McGoldrick was starting to have more of an influence too but we still looked just a bit shaky at times at the back. The last real chance of the half saw Adeyemi's header comfortably saved by Steele. It had been a good half of football from Town with some lovely football played at times, plenty of movement off the ball and loads of options going forward, our passing was crisp and incisive and we could possibly be a bit frustrated at only being One goal ahead.

The start of the second half saw Bart called into action almost immediately and what a save it was, acrobatically tipping over Cattermole's header when he looked a cert to score, it really did go some way to atone for his c*ck up at Leeds Saturday, however from the resultant corner he almost went from hero to zero as he again flapped at the ball in no mans land, this time though he got some good fortune as went wide. I've got to say our third goal was an absolute beauty and real quality, a joy to watch. Following a passage of numerous passes Garner found Iorfa who's cross was superbly backheeled by Waghorn into the path odf the on rushing Celina who took a touch before smashing the ball past Steele, it really was a quality goal and followed some top notch football. Town were on fire now and it wasn't long before it was 4-1, Waghorn again the provider, this time he burst clear before sending a pin point cross into the box where Didsy slid in to get the vital touch before the hapless keeper could collect, Portman Road erupted as the Blues were ripping them apart at will.

There was still plenty of time to go when Aiden McGeady scored a stunning strike to reduce the arrears and it left Town with plenty of work still to do, a game that really should have seen us out of sight was now just one Sunderland goal away from being a real nail biter. Town made a double change with Fifteen minutes left, the superb Waghorn and Celina being replaced by Nydam & Ward as Town appeared to go 4-4-2 in an attempt to see out the game. To be fair to the visitors they had a really good Ten minute spell where ball after ball was lofted into our box where Chambers and Spence headed clear time and time again, thankfully we rode the storm and there was still time for us to get our Fifth of the night. A brilliant run by Didsy left defenders in his wake before playing in sub ward who took it around the keeper before smashing home from a crazy angle, it looked like he had taken it too far but what a finish to cap a fab night and a top display.

There were so many good performances tonight with Waghorn the pick for me, at times he was unplayable, scoring One and setting up Three others he gets my MOTM hands down, Celina, Garner and Didsy all put in top perfornaces too while Skusey for me had a super game, I never knew he had such an array of passes in his locker, Tom Adeyemi can be well pl;eased with his efforts too and when the mini Sunderland onslaught came late in the game the defence stood firm from a barrage of balls into the box. Playing such an attack minded team we were always going to get caught once or twice and som it proved but over all we more than deserved the win, in fact the scoreline slightly flattered Sunderland.

Bart (6) Iorfa (6) Chambers (6) Spence (7) Knudsen (6) Skuse (8) Adeyemi (8) McGoldrick (7) Garner (7) Waghorn (9) Celina (7)

SUBS :- Ward (6) Nydam (6) Sears (6)

What a five star show from Town, Five goals from Five different scorers and Fifth in the table, at times the crowd was rocking the North stand actually resembled the way it was back in the day when this type of performance was the norm. Most pleasing for me is the way the hoofball has totally gone from our game, our passing is improving all the time and going forward we cause anyone problems, we still have room to improve at the back and with players due to return hopefully it will come but it is hard to find fault after a night like that, we needed to show Leeds was no fluke and we did just that. Two of the Three home games have been won and now for Bristol City who it has to be said will be the hardest of the lot but in this sort of mood we can go into it with real confidence. Relegation fodder ?? Do me a favour !! Such was our impressive performance we even got a rendition of " EI EI EI O, up the football League we go, when we win promotion, this is what we'll sing, we are Ipswich, we are Ipswich, McCarthy is our king" !!! FICKLE BASTARDS. :wink: COYB'S
Couldn't have put it better myself. Other than the shady 15 minutes after Sunderland's second goal, we were fantastic. We looked like scoring nearly every time we went forward and we could have easily had more than 5 by the end. Everyone put in a great shift and it was an awesome team performance. Waghorn and McGoldrick in particular were on fire with the former scoring a great header as well as claiming 3 assists, one of which fell to the latter who stumbled it into the net and was his usual tricky self and made a great run before putting through Ward with a perfect ball to allow him to take it round the keeper. If we can keep this form up, we could have a good season on our hands.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 am

Didn't want to be one of those who only posts when we are losing :wink:

So as BM said; "wow!" What a great result and from the stats we were all over them. Worth noting also that of our 19 chances, 11 were on target. That's a pretty good hit rate which is possibly one of our big improvements on last season.

These are good times to be a Tractor Boy and for that thanks and praise are due to the management and the players. Another different team selection and for me a key factor is that we can fire whoever is selected up front.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

I dont think you ever come in the category of only posting when we lose Dubai, i can list a few who wont be around much atm if you like though lol.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 pm

bluemike wrote:That line up is ridiculous, way too attacking, gonna be exposed at the back. Could be a tough nite but the fans have what they wanted.
Yep we were far to attacking!! :lol:

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Excellent result and great performance. Listened to it on radio suffolk and it appears we carried on from leeds game. Hope it continues against bristol on sat and mm keeps the attacking lineup. The more town push and pick up points the more teams will set up to defend.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm

chuffed with that result, sounds like a great attacking performance too. Im working in Athens this week so missed it! (typical!) and its my cousins wedding Saturday so missing that game too, I also missed the Bolton game due to racing down south. Basically not a good month attendance-wise for me (QPR away being my only game). Maybe looking at the results I should stay away!

I watched the updates coming through as I was enjoying a pint of Mythos beer (not the best!) and was really pleased to see us attack from the off, this is what people have been crying out for, we may concede some goals and you cant play like it every week but it shows at times it can be effective and performances like that will bring people back to PR. To be fair the team got a fair bit of praise for performance at Leeds so to get this performance/result straight after is very pleasing. Well done all. Also one last note, I was critical of Knudsen last season, what has happened to him! He sounded like an attacking wing back last night and very effective too, I never thought I would be saying that! Fair play to him

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Knudsen was still very much the weak link

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
bluemike wrote:That line up is ridiculous, way too attacking, gonna be exposed at the back. Could be a tough nite but the fans have what they wanted.
We actually were though lol, got away with it last night, that wont be the case Saturday if we go with the same line up. Good viewing all the same.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Super result! And great to see Waghorn making his mark. I loved the attacking line up! Well done, MM! Let's keep this train rolling! COYB!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:42 pm

bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
We actually were though lol, got away with it last night, that wont be the case Saturday if we go with the same line up. Good viewing all the same.
For me in the past Mick has seemed to praise up our opponents whoever they might be so much before the game that on occasions we have appeared to be fearful of them. Yes respect the opposition but also let them worry about our qualities.

Last night from the off we got about them and even though we conceded a soft goal soon after scoring our first we looked to continue to stamp our authority on the game. Hopefully this policy will continue in the future.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:25 pm

bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
You know MM never changes a winning combination, so be prepared for a eventful afternoon.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 pm

It is hard to imagine that he can change it after that performance, if we go with the same and rip it up once more we really are in a good position.

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 pm

bluemike wrote:Knudsen was still very much the weak link
I actually thought Knudsen was very good last night. For me Iorfa was getting caught out of position far too often

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Strange how we all see things differently, i thought he was very hesitant at times and quite slow to react to certain situations, that said going forward he did ok. Iorfa definitely could have done better for their first goal that's for sure.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm

bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Well I sincerely hope that we do field the same starting line-up, Mike.

MM was quoted as saying that any team featuring Garner, McGoldrick, Waghorn, and Celina has goals written all over it.
I agree 100% with that, and the only thing that amazes me is that he has not started it before.
Maybe he really has come around to thinking that we need to attack more, I hope so.

Yes, if we play all out attack we will concede goals - but when we play defensively we still concede goals :wink:

WBBlue

Post by WBBlue » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:30 pm

bluemike wrote:Strange how we all see things differently, i thought he was very hesitant at times and quite slow to react to certain situations, that said going forward he did ok. Iorfa definitely could have done better for their first goal that's for sure.
I didn't rate Knudsen but I have to say he has looked far better this season. I suspect it couuld be the fact that Kenlock is sitting there waiting (although he has dropped off the last few times I've seen him). I thought Knudsen had a good game on Tuesday and in my view was the best of our defenders (ranked him 1, Spence 2, Chambers 3 and Iorfa 4). Iorfa is certainly the weak link at the moment. Not sure what he gives us that Emmanuel wouldn't - not even a huge difference in age / experience. He is fast, but as he was the wrong side of the attacker 90% of the time on Tuesday, he needs the speed to make up for it!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Iorfa wasn't great Tuesday but still had an assist in the third goal, he also put in the cross for Garners goal at Leeds, i think as with Chambers he is more of a CB than a RB so as such is out of position, but by and large he has done ok.

I accept Knudsen is better this season than last but then again he could only improve seeing as he was w**k bad last term, in a back Three he is fine but i stand by my belief that as LB he is poor most of the time, at Leeds it stood out like a sore thumb.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Just home from a 3 day golf trip and had no idea Town were playing on Tuesday night, I could have had a field day with 2 Sunderland fans in the group.

I can't remember the last time Town played a game I wasn't aware of so clearly I need to pay more attention.

What a great result, maybe the tide really had turned,

Well done boys, let's keep the momentum going, and wow, what a starting line up, very unMick like.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Absolutely backing up all thats been written. Ive been crazy busy at Work so finding it difficult to post but great win and lets follow it up against bristol