Ipswich vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Let the Good Times Roll!

Ipswich Win
50%
Bristol Win
25%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:21 pm

First sign of a defeat and wanker number one reappears lmao

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Jeeeeez, that was hard to watch. Not just because we were poor but because how the scoreline flattered Bristol City incredibly and seemed to have everything go their way whether it was referee decisions, every second ball, or every clearance, header, ricochet falling into the path of one of their players. It felt like a game where just no luck would go our way, not that we helped ourselves. Bristol were fortunate with a deflected goal straight away which meant they could focus on stifling us which they did effectively as they hassled us for the full 90 minutes and gave us little space to work with.

On another note, Aden Flint is a grade A bellend and I can't believe that he elbowed, shoved and threw Garner around all game, yet Garner was the only one to come out of it with a yellow card. Woeful refereeing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:18 pm

J4ck22 wrote:On another note, Aden Flint is a grade A bellend and I can't believe that he elbowed, shoved and threw Garner around all game, yet Garner was the only one to come out of it with a yellow card. Woeful refereeing.
Maybe the refs eagle eyes were turned the other way, J4CK?!

ITFC win or draw in this fixture,……., didn't even contemplate the loss. Bit of a shocking result at Portman Road in my opinion. Really hoping its only a blip.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
J4ck22 wrote:On another note, Aden Flint is a grade A bellend and I can't believe that he elbowed, shoved and threw Garner around all game, yet Garner was the only one to come out of it with a yellow card. Woeful refereeing.
Maybe the refs eagle eyes were turned the other way, J4CK?!

ITFC win or draw in this fixture,……., didn't even contemplate the loss. Bit of a shocking result at Portman Road in my opinion. Really hoping its only a blip.

Not shocking when all what the team is doing in the 2nd half is constant hoofing towards their central defence with which they dealt easily.
There was no-one in the middle to carry this team forward. Too deeply sitting central midfielders... when we're chasing the game FFS ! Skuse in his customary 'safety mode' passing sideways, he even 'managed' to hoof it twice towards their central backs.

Most of the players were below par and we got what we deserved. There was no plan B. Just hoof it and see what happens.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 pm

I think the shock element is coming from reading ITFC vs Sunderland reports midweek. Didn't read about any injuries and was expecting so much more in terms of attacking football with confidence. Is it Mick himself and his tactical changes thats making it all seem "bonkers" to him? Just can't accept that its Bristol City who are a big deal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:02 am

Having had the opportunity to view game highlights and read post-match response, feel suitable to add further opinion. In all defense, was not in attendance, can be forgiven for any oversight.

First and foremost, Bristol as mentioned are far improved and tougher opposition than earlier this year. The deflections for their goals were harsh and unfortunate but of greater concern would be our inability to once again revert to a style of play that invariably brings no reward and greatly reduces any productivity the team will attempt to endeavor. Got no issue in that they wanted it more, just from all you can ascertain (and the element of the aforementioned opposition goals aside) it seems we're too inconsistent to properly challenge, or better still, too often have the capabilities to progress, but not the inclination.

One or two names on OTIB getting carried away and labeling themselves as promotion candidates - fair enough they've done well in recent time and deserved their victory this day - but even now would be surprised to see them top six by end of season.

Shame in a sense about the unbeaten run going from 1978 - sooner or later it had to to end - just putting more emphasis on what could have been a greater effort, or with more individuals making a game of it. Can't really castigate the referee, didn't see enough of what decisions he undertook out there. If the individual in question made a f*ck-up of it or made a number of errors or oversights, then by all means ridicule seems justified.

Bottom line, we're in better condition than last season, not the pushovers from before. Today is frustrating, a number of areas that need focus once again, but still in a position to challenge.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:12 am

Charnwood wrote:This has the potential to be a very good and exciting game but as we know only too well sometimes the unexpected happens.

I'm going for a five goal thriller and a 3-2 home win.

.... as I said, "sometimes the unexpected happens"..

Whilst I fully expected a good performance from us, I also expected Bristol City to play some decent football and score a few goals, after all they had recently put four past Derby County and three away at high flying Wolves.

I just thought after we'd put five past Sunderland we'd be able to follow this up and score one more than Bristol City, but as we now know, it didn't happen.

More worrying is that we didn't play well and go into the International break following a home defeat with the next game two weeks away at high flying Sheffield United who fortunately also suffered a defeat yesterday.

Hopefully the team will pick themselves up and bounce back without too many issues.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:17 am

lucy wrote:I miss football tuesday we win 5-2 now losing 0-2 and im at the game.

Lucy, you know what to do when we play Norwich on Sunday 22nd. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:33 am

The way yesterday unfolded was certainly not in the script, expectations were understandably high following our good win and positive performance Tuesday evening but everything that could go wrong did go wrong for us yesterday, that is not to make excuses as on the day the best team won and deservedly so but the Gods were not looking down on us at all. Even before the game we were dealt a blow with Tom Adeyemi picking up a Hamstring problem and having to drop out, while little has been made of this I think it affects a team more than we realise as all week things would have been worked on, even the pre match team talk goes out of the window with last minute changes, aside from all that Tom had a very good game against Sunderland and was a big miss on the pitch. What followed on the pitch with Two deflected goals, one so early in the game really did knock us off our stride and had us on the back foot against it has to be said a very solid and streetwise Bristol City side who used every trick in the book and got away with most of them as in Simon Hooper we had one of the worst refs we have seen in many a long day and that is saying something. Our luck got even worse with Didsy, who for me was miles ahead of anyone else in a Blue shirt again limping off with a Hamstring problem too.

The game was little more than a couple of minutes old before City took the lead, crossing the half way line for virtually the first time a Brownhill shot takes a wicked deflection off Nydam to wrong foot Bart and we're a goal down straight away, a cruel blow and one which was to prove very hard to come back from, even at that early stage. It could have got worse a few minutes later but a for a great saving tackle by Chambo on the very impressive Famara Diedhiou who was almost through on goal, as it turns out it was probably Chambo's best piece of work all afternoon. It really was all Bristol in thge opening quarter of the game, this time Reid seeing his deflected effort crash back off the cross bar, a crucial touch from Spence keeping us from being two behind. Finally we started to get a sight of the Bristol goal and for me Garner really should have pulled us level when put through by a Skuse pass but he dallied and wasn't quick enough and the chance was gone, seconds later Skuse himslef hit a shot goalwards which was blocked, next it was celina's turn to have a pop which fired wide. Despite us starting to create chances we were still very shaky at the back and this was a trend that continued throughout the whole game, we never looked in control when they came at us, both our Fullbacks were having very tough days with Iorfa in particular not at the races, I lost count of the number of times they were caught out of position, with Chambers filling in at Left back as Knudsen strolled back at snails pace, then it was Spence coming across to cover for Iorfa who was in no mans land upfield. The defence will no doubt get the lions share of the blame, but this is what you get when you go too attacking and was my fear the other night, we got away with it then but weren't so lucky this time, Waghorn & Celina just offer no defensive cover at all, they barely come back into their own half and as such Knudsen and Iorfa are totally exposed time and time again, Skuse & Nydam had the middle covered for the most part but down the flanks we were being picked off. Quite what the hell we werer thinking for their second goal is beyond me, Nydam left to mark Diedhiou ??? The striker had the easiest of headers to put them Two up when surely Spence or Chambers should have taken responsibility, stupid stupid error. Town tried to respond and celina had a good chance which was well saved by Fielding before Waghorn gave us a lifeline with his Sixth of the season, Didsy & Knudsen doing the work to set him up and the striker made no mistake. The half ended with Bart palming over Flint's downward header to see us go in only One down, we rode our luck but had created chances ourselves and it did feel like Waghorn had given us something to build on in the second half.

In truth the second half turned out to be a massive disappointment, Garner had a good chance saved in the opening couple of minutes of the half and that was to prove to be our best chance of the second half. The ineffective Iorfa was replaced by Webster with Spence moving to RB, a change thayt myself and virtually everyone around me were calling out for at the break. The half was just drifting by with stoppage after stoppage thanks to the fuckwit with the whistle who was determined to give them every little decision he could, whether its biased I don't know but I felt we got nothing go our way, Garner had been beaten up all afternoon by Flint & Baker and yet found himself in the book !!! The disappointing thing for me was that we tended to go long and direct in our quest to get back into it, the impressive football of Tuesday night was missing, Celina who had been very disappointing was removed with Sears coming on but it changed little. McGoldrick had been a cut above anything else in Blue while I thought Skuse and Nydam had done ok in the middle although Nydam needs to work on his distribution, he loves to get stuck in though and puts the tackles in. Sadly for us Didsy was removed with 20 minutes to go, apparently feeling his hamstring, hopefully he pulls out of the Ireland squad and that it is not too serious, with him went any real chance we had of salvaging something from the game as the remainder of it peetered out to the predicatble conclusion. There was till time for City to rub salt in the wound by grabbing a third, a long range shot hitting Knudsen before nestling in the net with Bart again nowhere, twice in one game was a bit cruel but the defending should have been better instead of letting him have the time and space to shoot.

For me we just gave them too much respect, we stood off them and gave them so much time and space throughout the match instead of getting in their faces and closing them down, our high tempo of Tuesday evening was replaced by a laboured lacklustre show, chalk and cheese in that respect. Everyone was craving about the line up being being so attack minded and after Sunderland it was understandable but it didnt work and it won't work against better teams, we are far too exposed at the back, I am not the biggest fan of Sears or Ward but they offer so much more than Celina and Waghorn defensively and this is where we need cover for the back Four, yes the defence was poor but give them somne help guys, the fullbacks had a really tough time of it as they were often doubled up on. Adeyemi was a big loss for me as he and Skuse looked really good Tuesday evening, Nydam was far from the worst player in Blue but I felt we lost a ittle bit in the middle of the park. Didsy again looked on top of his game while I thought Skuse had a decent performance too, not perfect by any means but plugged away when others around him offered little (Celina in particular).

Bart (6) Iorfa (5) Chambers (5) Spence (6) Knudsen (5) Nydam (6) Skuse (7) Celina (5) Waghorn (6) Didsy (8) Garner (6)

SUBS :- Webster (5) Sears (5) Ward (5)

Not our day by any means and got what we deserved but it does not represent a crisis, we have two weeks to regroup and work on what went wrong which is clear to see, the defence needs to improve and stop making such stupid errors, I think this attacking line up is ok for the likes of Sunderland, Bolton, Burton etc etc but we have to have a more balanced side against better teams with wide men who are prepared to work at both ends of the pitch, with Didsy possibly out Waghorn up front with Garner would be they way I would go but hopefully Didsy will be ok, Adeyemi too, we need him fit. A set back yes, terminal no, we are still in a good place and despite being a bit more direct yesterday it has not been the norm, we have played decent football in most games this season even if we are a work in progress. now is not the time for the Lemmings to start jumping off cliffs etc.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 am

bluemike wrote:First sign of a defeat and wanker number one reappears lmao
I think you are being very hard on yourself !! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:38 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
bluemike wrote:First sign of a defeat and wanker number one reappears lmao
I think you are being very hard on yourself !! :lol:
LOL, yes probably.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 am

Caption Comp : Trump takes the Kneesy option on N Korea .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Although defeat yesterday was by no means a disaster, 4 defeats in our last 6 league games show how important it was to get those points on board earlier in the season.
With on paper 2 tough games coming up after the international break it is important that we don't lose these as if we do then things could start to take a turn for the worse quite quickly.
Just our luck that the scum seem to be running into good form as we are about to play them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:00 pm

A bit worried about Mikes comments regarding tightening things up.

Yes, we can come unstuck because we're too loose, but we just have to continue to be attacking and do things better. Hold the ball better and bring the front men into the game more. Lumping the ball continuously up to a 5 ft 10 frontman who's playing against 6 ft 4 defender wasn't the smartest.

We've got recent history of adding too many defensive players to our team. We just get penned into our half and play too deep. We've lost plenty of games like this and it's miserable to watch.

Well done to Bristol City... they outplayed us and they're not some team with millions to splash.

We've got better offensive players than defensive players .... so just have to improve on retaining the ball better and linking into the front men. Not saying we should be kamikaze style going forward, but shutting up shop and trying to stop the opposition scoring more than creating is going backwards.

We might lose more ... but we'll win more. Those 3 points add up better than 1 points.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:50 pm

The way we played Saturday we could of done with Kiefer Moore at least he might of won a header!! :shock:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Shed on tour wrote:Although defeat yesterday was by no means a disaster, 4 defeats in our last 6 league games show how important it was to get those points on board earlier in the season.
With on paper 2 tough games coming up after the international break it is important that we don't lose these as if we do then things could start to take a turn for the worse quite quickly.
Just our luck that the scum seem to be running into good form as we are about to play them.

and when did anyone say life supporting the Town or us would be easy. its just a blip.