Ipswich vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Let the Good Times Roll!

Ipswich Win
50%
Bristol Win
25%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

Image Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Image

Saturday 30th September 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

We may only be Nine games into the new season but I can't help but ask the question, is this Town team potentially the real deal ? Are we genuine play off candidates or is this still just a false dawn ? Well following Tuesday nights superb demolition of Sunderland let's look at a few facts, having played One game less than everyone else we find ourselves in Sixth place, win that game and we'd be Second, with Nineteen goals scored we are the top scorers in the Division, bearing in mind again that we've played One game less that really is good going, in Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick we have Three players scoring goals at will and playing at the top of their game, add to this the impending returns of Adam Webster, Emyr Huws, Teddy Bishop, Tommy Smith and Danny Rowe and we really do appear to be in a good place right now. Having played Fulham, Leeds & Millwall, Three teams in the top half it is also not strictly true that we've not played anyone decent yet, ok we lost to Fulham and Leeds but anyone who was at Elland Road will tell you that was not a true reflection of the game, we showed we can mix it with the best.

There will still be those that will tell you we are in a false position and the bubble will burst, and while that may or may not be the case I think we can all agree whatever form this season takes we are not anywhere near relegation fodder, for me the bookies got it completely wrong, that said we've only played Nine games. The doubters can point to our sometimes fragile defence which in fairness is correct, we do concede too many goals but we have had a makeshift defence for most of the season, our Thirteen goals conceded is the highest in the top half of the division but strangely Six of those goals have come in Three games that we have won. If you are a glass half full person or a glass half empty person I think we are all in agreement that the Football is light years ahead of the dross dished up last season while the entertainment is also much easier on the eye, it will take time but we can but hope some of the missing fans will begin to return, I don't think the Manager and the players can do much more than they are right now to entice them back, carry on winning at home and it has to happen, a Derby day victory would go a long way in helping.

With a tough looking game looming large on Saturday the big question on everyone's lips is will Mick stick with the same attacking line up, I must confess as cautious as I am I really do hope he does even if I do see potential pitfalls in doing so, we have momentum, we have confidence and most importantly I think the players have the belief that right now they can beat anybody, especially at home where we have won Four out of Five, however gone are the days where you only have to turn up to beat Bristol City, they are a decent side and can play a bit, unbeaten in Ten games bears witness to that and in Bobby Reid & Famara Diedhiou they have Two players that have scored Twelve goals between them already so our defence is sure to be tested again, this is no Sunderland who I felt were very weak for much of the contest. All that said I think we are on the crest of a wave, our tails are up and I believe we can edge this one again, how good would it be to go into yet another International break sitting in the top Three or Four with a game in hand ? It could well happen, Town to edge it for me. COYB'S!

The Opposition – Bristol City

The club was founded in 1897 as Bristol South End and changed their name to Bristol City on adopting professionalism three years later when they were admitted into the Southern League. City joined the Football League in 1901. .

Winning the Second Division Championship with a record number of points when they became the first club in Football League history to win 30 games as well as equaling Manchester United's achievement of the previous season in winning 14 consecutive games (still a record today, which was also accomplished by Preston in 1950–51).

They finished as runners-up in their inaugural First Division campaign. Three years later they won through to their only FA Cup Final. After a five season stay in the top flight in the 1910/11season brought City's first ever taste of relegation and it was to be 65 years before top flight status would be regained.

The 1920s were a rocky time as City bounced between the Second Division and the Southern Section of the Third Division. By the 1930s they had slumped into the lower division, and stayed that way until the Second World War. Harry Dolman became chairman in 1949, a post he would hold for over 30 years. An engineer who had bought out the firm he worked for, he designed the first set of floodlights installed at Ashton Gate in the early 1950s. The late 1950s were a better time for City, with a five-year stay in the Second Division, a league they returned to for a further spell in 1965.

In 1967, Alan Dicks was appointed manager, and things gradually began to improve, with promotion to the First Division in 1976, ending a 65-year exile from the top flight.

City's second stint in the top flight was less successful than the club's first, with thirteenth position in 1979 being their highest finish during this era.

In 1980, the City team went back to the Second Division in the first of three relegations, their debt mounted and their financial losses increased, with two successive relegations following. Thus, in 1982, they fell into the Fourth Division, and were declared bankrupt. BCFC (1982) Ltd acquired the club's player contracts, and the highly paid senior players who became known as the 'Ashton Gate Eight', each accepted termination of his contract for half the amount due. The club failed to pay its debts to many local businesses which left the new formed club difficulty in obtaining credit because of bad feeling toward them.

City spent two seasons in the Fourth Division before winning promotion in 1984. They consolidated themselves in the Third Division during the latter part of the 1980s, and in 1990 achieved promotion as Third Division runners-up.

Meanwhile, City remained in the new Division One (no longer the Second Division after the creation of the Premier League in 1992) but in the 1994/95 season were relegated to Division Two.

Bristol City again achieved promotion in 1998 as Division Two runners-up, but went straight back down again the following season.

City was a regular Division Two Top Six side over the next few seasons but couldn’t advance through the playoffs each time.

Despite a slow start to the 2006–07 season, City were in the top six of League One by November and at the end of the month began an 11-match unbeaten run which drove them to the top of the division. Promotion to the Championship was confirmed on the final day of the season securing the runners-up place in the division and resulting in automatic promotion.

After a stop start run of form City went top of the Championship on 1 March, However, a poor run ended City's chances of an automatic promotion place. They made the playoff final at Wembley but went down 1-0 to Hull.

After a poor start in the first half of the 2008–09 season, City finished the season in tenth place.

On 22 April 2010, it was announced that former Reading manager Steve Coppell would become the new City manager at the end of the 2009–10 campaign, when he would start a 12-month rolling contract, and that Keith Millen, who had guided the club to Championship safety in his brief spell as caretaker manager, would remain at the club as his assistant. It was announced on 12 August 2010 that Coppell had resigned as manager with immediate effect saying that he would retire from football management altogether citing a lack of passion for the job. This followed his only two competitive games at the club.

On 29 November 2011, the club announced a loss of £11.45 million.

After a promising start to the 2011/12 season City only just survived staying in the Championship having spent time in the relegation zone.

After a poor start to the 2012/13 campaign, Sean O'Driscoll was appointed head coach on a 12-month rolling contract however on 16 April 2013, City were relegated to League One.

After the sacking of Sean O'Driscoll on 28 November 2013, Steve Cotterill was appointed on a three and a half year contract. When he joined the club were bottom of the table and 5 points away from safety with a −7 goal difference. Cotterill made a huge impact and guided the club to safety and finished the season 12th.

Bristol City were promoted back to Championship for 2015–16 season after securing a top spot in 2014–15 Football League One on 14 April 2015. 1955 was the last time they won a league.

With Bristol City just inside the relegation zone, and only 256 days after Cotterill had lead them back to the Championship, Cotterill was sacked by club chairman Keith Dawe, on 14 January 2016.

Caretaker Manager John Pemberton was replaced by Lee Johnson on the 6th February 2016.

Last season Bristol City finished one place below Ipswich in 17th place with 54 points.

The Manager – Lee Johnson

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Simon Grayson says what happened in the changing room after the game, by a surprising source

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/09/27/si ... r-telling/

Woolfenden signs new contract

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5212841

Waghorn on the dressing room

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5211863

B.A.T.E Legal Battle with Town

http://untold-arsenal.com/archives/64545 (its just the first paragraph)

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 5th place with 18 points

Ipswich Town 5-2 Sunderland

Leeds United 3-2 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

QPR 2-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 0-2 Fulham FC

Bristol City Last 5 Matches – Currently in 7th place with 17 points

Bristol City 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Norwich City 0-0 Bristol City

Bristol City 2-0 Stoke City

Bristol City 4-1 Derby County

Wolverhampton 3-3 Bristol City

Fixtures of Interest

ASTON VILLA VS BOLTON

BURTON ALBION VS WOLVES

NOTTINGHAM FOREST VS SHEFFIELD UTD

PRESTON N.E. VS SUNDERLAND

Marko's Caption Contest

Leeds scores

Number 9 5pts
Barmy Billy 4pts
Ando 3pts
Ohiotractorboy 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

TANGFASTIC 19
NICSCREAMER 18
SHED ON TOUR 18
BLUEMIKE 18
OHIOTRACTORBOY 16
BARMY BILLY 16
HERFORDER 15
FROSTY 15
DERICKIPSW 13
ANDO 11
NUMBER9 10
BLUEBLOOD 9
BLUEPETER 8
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 8
QUASAR 7
WATERSHIP DOWN 7
JAMMA123 4
LOUDnPROUD 3
AYLESBURY BLUE 2
PATTHEGIMP 1

Caption picture:

Match Referee – Simon Hooper

IPSWICH TOWN 2 BRISTOL CITY 1

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:50 am

It's difficult to say anything other than a town win. 2-1

Caption - Donald trump desperately holds in a fart whilst watching his son play this new fangled soccer game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 am

That's a very good write up there. I think the club must be having everyone just very slightly excited at the moment. Waiting on the bubble to burst is for people who think, "this sore head is a tumour", "that freckle is cancer", "that green light is going to go red before I get there", "that queue is going to go quicker than this queue"........ those fkrs! :D

City are actually quite a good side to watch, (on highlights anyway) ....., a draw wouldn't be a surprise, but at PR, must get the win. Thinking 3-1 ITFC.

Ref caption:
Player: Hey Ref, you look like my eagle eyes Action Man.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:31 am

caption: Trump: See I told you that wall was a good idea as the MLS can now develop our own talent as I have stopped those bloody Mexicans from joining it.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am

Caption:

"Might take up Footy next after I'm impeached"

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

ITFC 2: BCFC 2. Entertaining draw.

Caption:

Trump: "I was practicing my cockney slang and wanted some "Bristol City's" - don't know nothing about this soccer thing"

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:12 pm

CAPTION.... "Shouldnt he be sacked for doing it on one knee"

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Law of averages say we are due a draw soon.
Town 1 Bristol City 1

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Hopefully we can maintain the excellent start. ITFC 3 Bristol Titty 2

Caption: Trump is saying, 'Geez, that motherf*cker sure can juggle a rugby ball.'
Last edited by barmy billy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Let's hope we stay unchanged and go for it! 2-1 home win.

Caption: you will need bigger balls than that to take me on my son!

Caption: trump; didn't realise they played soccer in Scotland. Thought golf was the national sport.

Sorry marko no offence :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:02 pm

2-1 to the Town!!!

Caption,
"The hell with the NFL, we will pick up...whatever sport that is. I hear in Gyna it is YUGE!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:"I hear in Gyna it is YUGE!"
:lol: I thought I was the only one who thought he was saying Gyna! That's actually hilarious!

"Gyna gotta reign them in, or there will be big, BIG trouble!" :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:10 pm

You got two club sides that, in recent time, were the epitome of sh*t and providing hostilities towards respective managers, and now find themselves viewing considerable improvement. Anything can occur in this league but voted in favor of a shared point..

The opposition have not seen victory at Portman Road for near 40 years if correct and last time out required a late Pitman goal to hand us victory. Another win would be ideal but they're more robust in the time since and reading opinion on OTIB, leaving with a point would represent something of an accomplishment for the visitors.

Just continue the improvement, be offensive and get at them, we got an opportunity again to achieve something.

Ipswich 2 Bristol City 2

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:37 am

Tough one to predict as Bristol have been conceding very little recently while we've been scoring plenty. I'm optimistic though and gonna go for a 2-1 win!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 am

If anybody is interested todays game is apparently being streamed live and free on Cricfree.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:54 am

This has the potential to be a very good and exciting game but as we know only too well sometimes the unexpected happens.

I'm going for a five goal thriller and a 3-2 home win.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:21 pm

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/ipswich-t ... -streaming
Live streaming if Towns game today . Free, apparently ! Fill ya boots :wink:

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Ohiotractorboy wrote:"I hear in Gyna it is YUGE!"
:lol: I thought I was the only one who thought he was saying Gyna! That's actually hilarious!

"Gyna gotta reign them in, or there will be big, BIG trouble!" :lol:

HA! Do I get an extra point for resisting the "Big ball in Gyna" reference?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Bialkowski
Iorfa
Spence
Chambers
Knudsen
Nydam
Skuse
Waghorn
Celina
McGoldrick
Garner

Gerken, Webster, Ward, Connolly, Bru, Kenlock, Sears

Again McCarthy showing emphasis on attacking deployment. Actually confident we can see off the opposition today, we got the shape of a good team coming on. Underway any moment now, let's do this.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 pm

0-1 Conceded in 2 min.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:36 pm

I miss football tuesday we win 5-2 now losing 0-2 and im at the game.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:43 pm

2-1 waghorn

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:55 pm

1-2 at ht.

Looking forward to second half. Wobbly in defence ... but we've got goals up front if we can give the guys ammunition.

Side-show: Garners theatrics are amusing. Getting under the skins always of defenders....

Really not sure about Iorfa...

Proper game.., good pace... pity we're behind... but we can still win this.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

In fairness Bristol would appear a decent side, far improved than the garbage of six months / one year back. They allowed Johnson to stay on and he's redeemed himself to great extent. Rare to provide an opposition team with plaudits but they got something of a winning team right now, would be a fine achievement to (if we could) take victory from these today.

Let's get back into this and keep the momentum going, 45 minutes and we got the capabilities to turn this around. Forward names have got goals in them, just require enough belief and determination to accomplish once more out there.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Not a good day
1-3.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Wasn't expecting this.
Thought we will get a draw at worst.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 pm

I watched this on Cricfree TV and Town were awful, unlucky with 2 deflections but were awful. Passing shocking, defending all over the place and hopeful punts up the field to Garner. Bristol were in total control from the 1st minute. :?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Little intensity in the second.half. Deserved to lose. Thought it was set up for a big second half ..... damp squib. Hope Didsy s not injured .... if not, not sure why ward came on for him.
Credit to BCFC.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Caption: If he plays for North Korea Nuke him.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:11 pm

:shock: CRASH back to normal