Sheffield Utd vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we win after an International Break?

Sheff Utd Win
33%
Ipswich Win
22%
Draw
44%

Total votes: 9

shamm

Re: Sheffield Utd vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:27 pm

Magicmark wrote:Is anything happening of interest? Buggies are are losing :)

Yes- 1 down after half time 49 min.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Never seem to take our chances.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:59 pm

norwich get a goal in the 96 min for a draw

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Sounds like we put in a good display. More attempts than them, almost equal possession. Same no of shots on goal. Hit the bar just after they scored.

Look forward to reading the match report.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Can't really argue with the result. There will be some saying the old cliche that we could have nicked a point with a bit of luck. Now we couldn't. We got what we deserved. Spoke with a Blades' fan after the game and he's said that was their worst home performance of the season. Even though they had lost to Norwich last month they battered them throughout the game. Worst Blades' performance and we played well only for the last 15 minutes of the first half.

Set up? Typical McCarthys. Just trying to match them up. Let's sit back and let them have a go at us. Super Mick McCarthy, eh? That set up was at his 'best' for the first 30 minutes. We were harmless as babies. Literally no intention to threaten them. Just sit back ! Flat back five with 'wing-backs' in Iorfa and Kenlock playing as full-backs. We kick off the game with a pass to Knudsen and he immediately hoofs it and the ball is given away.
Very rigid defence which Blades struggle to break down and the biggest 'positive' of this set up was Leon Clarke to have been kept quiet.
We started the match after 30 minutes from Waghorn's corner and that was followed by a decent spell until the end of first half. McGoldrick's shot two minutes later narrowly wide. Two good Waghorn's chances. One of them impressively parried by Blackman.
McGoldrick our stood out player by far and most threatening. Any time he has a ball you sense he is capable of producing something out of nothing.

5 minutes after the restart we conceded a really stupid goal. Our rubbish and pathetic defence allowed Basham a space to score from a free header. Three central backs + the bollard in Kenlock and nothing was done to prevent that.
We had a good 10 minutes period after their goal in which Waghorn hit the bar.
A moment later Clarke left alone by our defence hit the bar for Blades.

Last 30 minutes from Ipswich Town ? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Mostly painful hoofing with no attacking intent nor ability to get back into the game.
No-one in the middle to carry this team forward and provide a service towards strikers. Nydam and Skuse sitting very deep. The latter in his usual 'comfort safety mode'. Downes having a very quiet second half after coming on. But Ward in particular was very dissappointing and annoying. You would have expected him to have caused problems for their defence given his ability. A few lame pointless crosses. Completely unable to beat any of their defenders or unlock their defence by a proper pass. Totally no existing player.

The substitutions? Why taking McGoldrick off? Yes he was nowhere near as good as in the first half but as I've said before he always has that ability to get something out of the blue. Given how badly we've been missing a creativity during McCarthy's reign we can't afford to take off players like him.
Celina and Sears came on but unfortunately it didn't make a significant difference. Sears offered a bit of pace but nothing besides. Their contribution might have been more fruitful if the central midfield had supported them.

10 minutes before the final whistle young Blades' star Brooks did run across the pitch completely unchallenged by Skuse and defence and launched a shot that went narrowly wide. A minute later Clarke's dangerous header was saved by Bialkowski. They were closer to score their second than us creating a meaningful chance let alone score.

Got what we deserved. No attacking intent, no ability to chase the opponent just mostly pointless hoofing and hoping for a luck. Pure McCarthyism. The only positive was the spell between 30th and 45 min.

Don't know what is going wrong with Iorfa. Impressive during the August spell especially Barnsley away. Today he was shocking and wasteful.

Some might say that defeats like today are a part of current working process. There isn't anything like that under McCarthy and I'll keep maintaining that. If anyone tells me there is a progress I don't care. It's just the same old in terms of tactics and the question is if it's going to yield us good results. The freak August spell besotted number of our fans. Now we've lost 5 in 7 and keep dropping down the table. Super Mick, eh?

I'll be travelling next week for the Norwich match. Hope is probably the only way we can get the result. If we're set up to win the game then there is something to look forward to. But it's a wishful thinking I'm afraid. McCarthy ever since he's been with us he plays for draws with them.

Obviously I can't compare the current era with that one in which Jewell totally ruined the club. But I literally can't wait for McCarthy to go. Not just because we've lost today. I'm just sick of him and his 'matching up' and defensive tactics. Going to be the same old, same old for the majority of season with occasional good performances like Leeds away or Sunderland at home.

So Mr.McCarthy let's allow Norwich to have a go at us and see what happens afterwards ! Let's try to match them up ! Or can you nicely surprise and let them worry about us?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:23 am

Mach, belive me this will be his last season. His contract runs out in June. It won't be renewed ME will change direction with a up and coming manager. Just be patient i know it is difficult because this dinasour is clueless.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 am

derick_ipsw wrote:Mach, belive me this will be his last season. His contract runs out in June. It won't be renewed ME will change direction with a up and coming manager. Just be patient i know it is difficult because this dinasour is clueless.
I wish I shared your optimism about an 'up and coming manager', Derick, but I'm afraid I can'r.

I have been far from thrilled about any of the managerial appointments ME has made - and I fear that for the next appointment he will again go for a 'name' - one that will either waste every penny he is given or one that will bore fans to death with his negativity.

I know most people still thank ME for saving the club, but to me the club has gone steadily backwards ever since he took over - and 6 defeats in our last 8 games does nothing to quell this opinion. God help us next Sunday :(

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 am

derick_ipsw wrote:Mach, belive me this will be his last season. His contract runs out in June. It won't be renewed ME will change direction with a up and coming manager. Just be patient i know it is difficult because this dinasour is clueless.
I wish I could share your optimism!but Evans will be advised again by people like Arry and we would end up same as.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:03 am

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 am

Sad to read from Mach's report that predictably MM reverted to type with his 'dornt get beat tactics', but did we honestly expect anything different?

As to the future, I agree with Rossi about a successor to MM. Evans has been very badly advised in the past and as Rossi rightly says, the club has gone backwards ever since he bought it.

As to the Norwich game, fingers crossed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:23 am

I think ME would like MM to stay because he's steady and happy to take control of the club.

I think by the end of the season, MM will be happy to leave. He'll ensure we don't get relegated and his CV will be intact and his reputation from outside this club is that he did miracles on a shoe string. He's actually very well respected inside the game and his reputation is foremost in his mind.

Even if MM had a different footballing philosophy, I can't see him playing more attacking. It's too risky for him and what's the value of ruining his reputation for his next appointment.
He will be happy to beat lowly teams and lose by the odd goal.it will be enough to keep us in the Championship.
Glad he's had faith in lads like Nydam and Downes this season.... big plus and something for the future. We actually have a better squad than last season... another plus. However, as pointed out by Mach.... he's not going to set his teams up to take control of games, but to stop the opposition.... and hope we don't make defensive errors ( we will) and that we can snatch a goal.

Weird start to season..... hard to know where we are .... great results at the start and bad results over last seven games. No draws yet. Over 12 games we really haven't dominated games, apart from Sunderland, whether we've won or not.

Expect things to level out .... start getting those draws ... the odd win ... the odd loss.... We'll be safe but I can't see us really challenging for top six. We might flirt with top six, but we would have to rely on other clubs dropping points as we seem more concerned about the opposition than expressing ourselves and taking control of games.

A win against Norwich.... thats all I want to think about for the moment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:24 pm

I know the style of play is sometimes disappointing but I'm not sure what some of you guys expect from a club with a low budget. We've just had the best start to a season for a while and sit just a few placed off the play offs, indeed win the game in hand and we're right up there. Only three clubs in the division have won more games (Wolves, Cardiff and Sheffield Utd) all have played one more game, and only two teams (Wolves and Hull) have score more goals. Furthermore we're one of only three teams not to have drawn a game, so to line up not to lose hardy applies.
Ok so we lost yesterday, was that really a great surprise ?... I know I wasn't there but from what I've read and seen I think we were closer to nicking a draw than some suggest and that we gave The Blades a good run for their money. I think we have every chance a winning next Sunday's match v Norwich although I do expect them to score which will require us to score two or more, but with our current strikers this shouldn't really be asking too much.
If only we could have less doom and gloom on here and give the boys a chance, and a tad more support, I think we could still have our best season for a while.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 pm

People talk about Scottish football. Based on that highlight clip you posted Hallam, both Hibs & Aberdeen could've annihilated United & Town yesterday! :lol: How much luck was actually involved in that game over the piece yesterday? Balls ricocheting here, there, everywhere...... was like watching a Scottish Championship clip. The only decent passage of play was the United left winger cutting across to almost set up a chance. But then that was probably due to woeful, lethargic defending. Looked poor.

Big derby next week, and week on Tuesday for the Cabbage. Hopefully see a couple of solid wins.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Gotta be honest I am finding it really hard to analyse what I actually saw yesterday, it was a game and performance that had me baffled in attempting to sum it up, were we dreadful ? No not really, were we good ? No most definitely not, Did we try to shut up shop and play for a point ? I actually don't believe for one second we did. I came to the conclusion that over the game Sheffield deserved the Three points despite not being anything special themselves, although it must be said I did wonder if they were playing within themselves and could step it up if required, of course we will never know that. The stats for what they are worth look as though it was a very even contest and in certain areas it was, but to be fair Sheffield played the better passing game and were on the offensive far more than Town were, they all seemed to know their jobs and stuck to it well where as the Town players at times looked all over the place. I cannot ever remember a game so obvious as this that I cannot even tell you what formation we played and who played where for much of the time, it was all over the place and swtiched and swapped around numerous times.

The opening twenty minutes consisted of Sheffield on the front foot and Town barely touching the ball, when we did it was put into touch or possession lost all too easily, we basically struggled to make a pass let alone string Two together, the only plesing thing was that despite looking anything but comfortable at the back Bart had not had a single thing to do as we had restricted them to one or Two hopeful balls into or across our box, at the other end waghorn had looked to get in once but was dealt with easily. Midway through the half Chambers was caught as he stumbled and Bart raced off his line to no avail, thankfully the ball into the box was dealt with by Webster and the danger was cleared. By this point Webster had been swithced to a more defensive Midfield role and was actually looking decent, picking up plenty of loose ball and trying to get Town moving forward, this coincided with what turned out to be our best spell of the game and we actually created the best three chances of the half as HT loomed. First Waghorn smashed a shot from distance which the keeper did well to turn behind with a save at full stretch, then Knudsen got his head to the resultant corner but put his header over, it was a decent chance but again it was squandered. The best chance of all fell to Didsy a few minutes later, following a blocked shot the ball arrived at Didsy's feet and with the goal gaping he fired inches wide of the far post, it looked for all the world that we had grabbed a fortuitous lead but it was not to be. Town continued to have a decent share of the play as the half ticked down, McGoldrick always in the thick of the action while at the other end Knudsen's excellent defending saw him cut out Sharps cross with a striker waiting for a simple tap in. The half mostly belonged to the home side and yet we created Three really good chances in the space of around Ten minutes and should really have taken One of them while at the other end Bart had not been called upon to make a proper save, however there had been a few scares in the Town rearguard whenever they came forward or delivered into our box. Time and time again they pulled us all over the place down our right and Iorfa was having a torrid time, in truth he looked all over the place and was very laboured and cumbersome throughout.

The second half was not very old before we found ourselves a goal down, a simple move down our right saw Webster fail to stop the cross coming in and Kenlock being slow to react let his man get in front of him for the simplest header, Bart had little chance of keepeing it out. A brilliant piece of skill from Waghorn almost saw us on level terms but his rasping drive following a great piece of skill to bring the ball down and under control crashed back off the bar with the keeper beaten all ends up. MM continued to keep switching the formation around and with Downes coming on for Kenlock he moved everyone around again, god knows where everyone was playing now, I really had no idea to be honest. It was Sheffields turn to smash one off the bar this time, Leon Clarke the unlucky man with a dipping shot whcih seemed to go through Barts outstretched arm, it was becoming an end to end game but Sheffield always looked the more purposeful and more likely to score although Waghorn who for me was our best player tried his luck again with a shot that failed to trouble the keeper. By now Sears & Celina were on but it really made little difference although Sears was running the channels well and trying to create something, Celina did little of note. As the game neared the end it was Sheffield who had one or two half chances which Bart dealt with easily enough. There was still time for Celina to put a couple of hopeful balls into their box but nothing fell for Town and the home side saw it through quite comfortably.

I think we missed Joe Garners physical presence big time yesterday, getting in the faces of defenders and putting himself about is something we lacked, I think we were wanting in Central Midfield too, Nydam & Ward just didnt work for me and created very little, Skuse had an ok first half but poor second half with too many misplaced passes. At the back we again seemed petrified every time the ball comes near our box, Iorfa had a bloody awful game, his control is dire, his passing woeful and at times he looked like he didn't want to run, when he did get forward he lost it or gave it away virtually every time and it was picked up on at the time that at least twice Sheffield broke forward and the last Two town players to get back into their own half were Iorfa and Knudsen, that is just not acceptable although for me Jonas did ok yesterday. I am very much of the opinion that Jordan Spence has to be one of the first defensive names on the team sheet, he leaves Iorfa standing, he is far more commanding in the air, is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and tries to at least make passes instead of hoofing the damn thing into no mans land as some of the others do, Adam Webster started off a little bit rusty but when moved to the position in front of the back Four did quite well and looked far more assured. Up front anything we did create came from Waghorn and Didsy working it between them, they looked the most likely but where the hell is the creativity from Midfield ? Ward, Nydam, Skuse, Iorfa, Kenlock, Downes, Sears, Celina cannot really remember anything being created from any of them and that has to change, we can blame the defence all we like but it is not all down to them, we missed Three good chances and the aforementioned players have to create stuff for the likes of Waghorn, they really didn't.

Next week is now massive, if it wasn't already, not just because it is the derby game but it has taken on even more significance because I actually think it could well be pivotal in how our season unfolds, a positive result and good performance will do wonders for morale again and hopefully keep the fans on board, after all a win would see us still around the top Six with a game in hand and that is ok but the performance needs to be there too, we have to show passion and desire, anything less and it could turn ugly. Clearly Five defeats in Seven is not good and it needs to be addressed. I am not of the opinion that Mick sets us up not to lose every game, I would however like to see us finally have our strongest team available and by that I mean a return of Huws, Adeyemi, Garner and Spence, that for me would make a massive difference, hopefully Three of them will be available Sunday

Bart (6) Iorfa (4) Chambers (6) Knudsen (6) Webster (6) Kenlock (5) Ward (5) Nydam (5) Skuse (6) Didsy (7) Waghorn (7)

SUBS :- Downes (5) Sears (6) Celina (5)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Charnwood wrote:I know the style of play is sometimes disappointing but I'm not sure what some of you guys expect from a club with a low budget. We've just had the best start to a season for a while and sit just a few placed off the play offs, indeed win the game in hand and we're right up there. Only three clubs in the division have won more games (Wolves, Cardiff and Sheffield Utd) all have played one more game, and only two teams (Wolves and Hull) have score more goals. Furthermore we're one of only three teams not to have drawn a game, so to line up not to lose hardy applies.
Ok so we lost yesterday, was that really a great surprise ?... I know I wasn't there but from what I've read and seen I think we were closer to nicking a draw than some suggest and that we gave The Blades a good run for their money. I think we have every chance a winning next Sunday's match v Norwich although I do expect them to score which will require us to score two or more, but with our current strikers this shouldn't really be asking too much.
If only we could have less doom and gloom on here and give the boys a chance, and a tad more support, I think we could still have our best season for a while.
Absolutely Andy but it's never gonna happen is it.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:22 pm

It's not doom and gloom it's facts. MM has been here 5 years. He saved us from relegation we had 1 season play offs the rest has been sh*te.We are and he is so predictable in the way we play that's what we moan about his excuses are always the same "we gave a soft goal away" well do something about it like playing in your opponents half for long periods instead of sitting back and inviting trouble.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 pm

I agree with you in as much as I too get fed up of reading how we gave away a soft goal and how they are good side blah blah blah, however we did not sit back and invite them on to us, we tried to get forward and had as many attempts at goal as they did, in fact in the first half on real chances it was 3-0 to us. That said it was only a short spell of the half that we were on top, strikers failed to take their chances.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:18 pm

But we were playing away from home against a team in good form. Isn't that the tactic that tends to work for us? Soaking up the pressure by stifling the game for 2 0 minutes then starting to impose ourselves as they tire with the intention of snatching a goal against the 'apparent' run of play? But for that to work we have to take our chances.

I wasn't there but I think games are not always about how well we look like we are playing but also about how well we stop them from doing their thing - especially away from home.

Just sayin'

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't get why it it is such a bad thing to try to stop the opposition from playing, a bloody good and basic tactic surely ? Or maybe we should let them play to their strengths and see how it goes LOL.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:14 am

It can be hard to ascertain all relevant information if you're not a live witness to what occurred - which is why post-game response is so invariably invaluable. A minority offering defense or certain positives to take away while the greater proportion telling it like it is i.e. second best in a lackluster encounter with continued high ball tactics and little in the way of determination or will to succeed.

McCarthy is two weeks away from a five year anniversary with this club and have seen it mentioned widely so long as the individual remains in position, we can never really hope to challenge. The early season promise has quickly eroded and in truth, Bristol City showed us up before (this) for what we are. While having a dependable goalkeeper and one or two attacking names of merit, there are too many deficiencies in other areas of the team. Having a manager who's continued philosophy is to avert defeat by any means possible and seeing a point as a satisfactory score - regardless of opposition - is a flawed view and a mentality that will continue to halt the club progressing as it should. If by some chance we can take three points from Norwich next up then certain individuals will have redeemed themselves to some extent, but looking at the bigger picture, we're unfortunately an average team that can pick up results here and there, but by and large not realistically in a position to challenge.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Forget changing the manager. Nothing significant will happen at our football club until Marcus Evans sells out to a billionaire benefactor who has the ambition to take on the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United & Liverpool etc.

Is this likely to happen...... No.

So is anything likely to change sometime soon ....No

Well maybe we just have to be grateful we're not as badly off as the likes of, Coventry, Charlton, Blackburn and Portsmouth etc... it could be much worse as fans of each of these clubs with past success know only too well.