SMALLEST COUNTRY EVER WORLD CUP BOUND!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

SMALLEST COUNTRY EVER WORLD CUP BOUND!

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:38 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/football/ ... index.html

Amazing accomplishment! Well done, Iceland!...and good luck!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: SMALLEST COUNTRY EVER WORLD CUP BOUND!

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm

I had no idea Iceland was so small, what an unbelievable achievement. Well done Iceland.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 am

They did well at Euro 16, had some bizarre scores : including victory over the English (which in truth really isn't saying much), but can't see them duplicating that success on the grandest stage of all next year. All dependant on who they draw in the group stages. Still envisage a first round exit is most probable.

The qualifying process can provide almost as much entertainment as the actual competition itself and already there's been some high profile nations gone by the wayside such as The Netherlands. Guess the tournament will be poorer with their omission, as was back in Japan and Korea 2002. Sorry also for Wales and Scotland, sincerely, would liked to have seen them involved.

Incidentally, we (the United States) will not be participating also. Defeat in Trinidad has effectively killed the team off but when you come up short in previous games with teams the caliber of Panama and Honduras, you got to realize you're going to miss out something. Disappointed, it's a pity, but we were never going to win the f**king thing.

On a brighter note, thank f*ck for Lionel Messi. Here at least is a nation that can challenge, and if they can get their act together from the inconsistencies of this qualifying process, could once again be one of the favorites next summer. One game from missing all together, it required one of the worlds most gifted players to provide a way through.

Nosotros Vaya Con Dios

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes SJ, very disappointing USA failed to qualify...especially with Arena in charge. Glad Argentina barely made it. I usually support England and USA in World Cups; I suppose Iceland will be my back up team in 2018.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Scotland: Gordon Strachan leaves his position as national manager

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41598733

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm curious how Marko feels about this? I personally was hoping Gordan would have stayed.