Whatever happened to our patience chaps & chapesses?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Whatever happened to our patience chaps & chapesses?

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Ok a slightly inflammatory subject line but I would like to make the case for a little more patience around here given that this forum, for as long as I have been a member (and not because of it I should add :lol: ) has always been a bit more cerebral than just throwaway pub talk (around closing time) on the net.

At the end of last season we all (I think really all) demanded a major overhaul of the squad and what we got was exactly that. Only Chambers, Knudsen, Bialkowsky, McGoldrick & Skuse really remain from the regular starters of last season and let's be honest we didn't see McGoldrick very often. All of the other regulars are newcomers, whether purchases, loans or promoted youngsters.

After 11 games we are just one win outside the playoffs, we've seen some great football (sometimes - more than last season for sure) and we have had a couple of unlucky defeats and a couple of deserved defeats. So a bit of a mixed bag.

Personally given the number of changed personnel and the possible (time will tell) change of approach I would expect it to take longer than 11 games for the team to be comfortable with each other on the pitch, especially given the amount of injuries we have had (and still have). In fact I'll go further and suggest that it's not over yet because Huws & Webster, once fit and up to speed should be considered key members of the regular starting 11. We didn't see Huws at all yet and Webster has done little more than show his face on the team photo.

So whilst I don't wish to imply any criticism of any of the great contributors to this excellent forum, surely we should just be holding back and taking the time to analyse performances in a balanced and patient way, observing small improvements in the partnerships across the pitch for example or hoping to see small improvements and issues being ironed out over time. With time being the key word.

If we are in touching distance of the playoffs with the disruptive issues that we have had then let's take heart from this and give the club some time to settle this season down.

I mean somebody suggested that the club hasn't moved forward in the 5 years since McCarthy joined us recently. Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY???!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Whatever happened to our patience chaps & chapesses?

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 pm

In agreement with you regarding being a bit bemused that some people think the club hasn't moved forward....... to be more accurate though, they think it's gone backwards! Not seeing it. Would like it explained though in a calm way!

Time? It's the 15-16 years in the Championship that's the issue, Dubai. Patience is running out for some people, regardless of what Coventry City are doing.

Good thread for discussion though. Definitely would like the "McCarthy has taken the club backwards" theory explained.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Well I've been around for those 15 or 16 years too Marko and a few more besides and had the pleasure even to be at Oxford U when the Lyall team won promotion back in nineteen hundred and frozen to death.

I would love promotion just as much as everyone else but every season is a new season with new challenges. What's important is that there are year on year improvements and I think we have that on the whole, yes in our playoff season we might have invested in Jan but who knows. MM & TC took over as squad that was lost and reliant on loans just to get by and has brought to the club, little by little, a core of decent championship players who could just be motivated to go one step further than Daryl Murphy and the other 10 a few years back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Absolutely spot on Dubai, it beggars belief sometimes how quick some are to dismiss the progress that is without question being made and all this against the odds of numerous teams having the advantage of parachute Millions !! If people truly can't see the improvement then they must have their heads up their backsides. I get sick to death of all this crap about Sixteen years in the Championship, boo hoo how sad it is we havent fallen further into League one, Mick McCarthy can ONLY be judged on the last Five years, coming in here when we were all but down and p*ss broke, guiding us to safety before year on year steady improvement each season culminated in the play off season where but for some things going against us when it mattered we may have done the impossible. He has done it with NOTHING to spend, OK last season was a backward step, but its ONE season in five, things do look much better this time around and people do seem to forget the fact we've been decimated with injuries all season and still are to a point, it's so easily forgotten, we are going about our business while blooding Downes, Nydam, Kenlock and it would have been Dozzell too, again not good enough that the academy is now producing at a decent rate.

I suspect most of those that fail to see improvement either don't go or spend the whole bloody match every week pissing around on their phones, that seems to be the way of it, as it stands we are Two points off the play offs with a game in hand and Six points off the top Two, again with a game in hand and that is reason to be so downbeat ? As you rightly state Dubai we are trying to change the way we play with a lot of new players, that does not happen just like that, once again we are victims of our own success with those Five wins on the bounce to kick off the season because now it looks like it is all going wrong when it isn't. I just get so infuriated at those fans who love to get on forums after a defeat to pretty much gloat about it, they are not good for the whole atmosphere of the club in my humble opinion.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm

I think people on this forum really need to accept that there are pessimists and optimists - and respect the other opinion.
Consider this........
1) we are close to the top 6 and if we were to win our game in hand we would be in the top 6
2) we have lost 5 out of our last 7 league games

Now which is more true, 1 or 2?

Neither, they're both the same!!!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:17 pm

True Rossi but if we all accept each other's opinions we will only have the tumbleweed to listen too :lol:

Respect yes, accept mmmmmmmm sometimes :mrgreen:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:13 pm

rossi wrote:I think people on this forum really need to accept that there are pessimists and optimists - and respect the other opinion.
Consider this........
1) we are close to the top 6 and if we were to win our game in hand we would be in the top 6

I respect your opinion far more than most because you had the same opinion all the time over the last few years even when we were doing ok, it's the others that change from one week to the next that drive me insane, in fact it's one half to the next sometimes, ive witnessed it numerous times, bloody quiet when we are winning and loud as f*ck when we lose. I am am not and never will be accepting it.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

bluemike wrote:
rossi wrote:I think people on this forum really need to accept that there are pessimists and optimists - and respect the other opinion.
Consider this........

I respect your opinion far more than most because you had the same opinion all the time over the last few years even when we were doing ok, it's the others that change from one week to the next that drive me insane, in fact it's one half to the next sometimes, ive witnessed it numerous times, bloody quiet when we are winning and loud as f*ck when we lose. I am am not and never will be accepting it.
its the same at every club Mike, I like going back thro the pages of forums history and see just how people change, Sir Marco of Edinburg once said " if you can keep your head while all others are falling apart your the bigger man," its fans like you Mike that keep our clubs alive. ( well I think it was Marco :wink: ) that's another beer you owe me lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am

Must've been reekin' that night, Wolfie! Waaay too sensible! :lol:

Do you actually think that some fans want ITFC to perform badly so that they can prove their points, Mike? I really do not see that at all.

Across all sporting forums, discussion is always born out of frustration. There is only so far a "well done, lads" conversation can go. I know plenty of Hibees, cousin included, who just isn't aren't "well done, lads" type of people, ......., but very vocal on defeat. The cousin could be likened to members on here, but he is 100% Hibs and overly devastated (in my opinion) when the defeats occur. He gets the "oh here he comes" treatment after a defeat, but if people knew him, they'd see he's like the rest of us....., wanting the win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Yes I 100% believe it Marko, they f**king revel in the negativity.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm

bluemike wrote:Yes I 100% believe it Marko, they f**king revel in the negativity.
NO IPSWICH TOWN FANS WANT THEM TO LOSE JUST SO THEY CAN MOAN!! Sorry Mike but that is f**king ridiculous . :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
bluemike wrote:Yes I 100% believe it Marko, they f**king revel in the negativity.
NO IPSWICH TOWN FANS WANT THEM TO LOSE JUST SO THEY CAN MOAN!! Sorry Mike but that is f**king ridiculous . :shock:
Unfortunately Derick it isn't, I firmly believe there are fans who love it, by and large we are lucky on here as most are levelheaded with the clubs best interest at heart but you look around on FB, TWTD, Twitter and all the other deadbeat options and you will find them, only coming out after a defeat and loving it, trust me it happens, they stir it up and stick the boot in, when we win nothing much is said. Whether this is a way of heaping pressure on MM in their shallow minds I dont know but it is happening, maybe when he does finally go it will stop.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:39 pm

They're more than likely bored internet troll types that you speak of on those TWTD pages. Can't see them being actual fans desparate to be right that "Mick is wrong!"......, but can see them being tw@ts desperate that Mick is wrong.

I suppose no one can really tell. But if you are right, and they are fans, then maybe you are right on the "Mick out" idea and it's the new, modern way of wanting the manager out.

FTR, Ipswich based fans chat, I only frequent here so I'm not as familiar with the shenanigans of TWTD.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm perhaps one of the 'moaners' but my moan is for the reason. I agree with Bluemike that there are number of our fans who are in a full voice when we lose. You will rarely see them (or won't see at all) on the forums if we play well and get good results. But there is a number of eternal optimists who themselves think everything is rosy at Ipswich Town and they slagg off everyone who is 'negative'. I for example have been heavily slated by some (not here just on TWTD where there is quite a big number of blue tinted happy clappers) for my opinions.

Dubai Blue is using the term 'patience'. Excuse me what patience do you expect? 16 years in this horrible, goddamn league so some of us are frustrated in general with what the club's policy. We're million miles away from the Premier League. Evans and the club has no ambitions at all to make us stronger and better. If we finish this season in midtable for example then will it mean there is an improvement? Not in my opinion. We just drift along, drift anonymously in this league and number of our fans wouldn't mind to stay in it for another 100 years.

But if there is an improvement as some claim why do the crowds keep dwindling? Why do Portman Road is half or even more than half empty during the matches? Why will there be only 22-23k for the Norwich match?

People are pointing out at our league position and claim this isn't bad given the number of injuries. Dubai I'm telling you if it hadn't been for injuries we would have been 19th-20th at this time. McCarthy was forced to play many attacking minded players during the freak August spell and that's why it paid off. Of course there must be the balance in the squad and you can't play that way all the time throughout the season. But the problem is that McCarthy is coming back to his old ways and it really infuriates me. Stopping opposition playing, matching up tactics, sitting back and inviting the pressure. When will be the time that opponent is scared of us and has to match us up? We seem to be such gutless and fearful team at times. Sheffield Utd away for example last Saturday. The only impressive spell from us was the last 15 minutes of the first half. What about first 30 minutes? We sat deeply and allowed them to have a go at us.
Millwall away back in August and the first half was tasty. We'd keep going forward, we'd score for fun. Why cannot we play like that and put the opposition under pressure?

To all those saying that we're improving: 5 defeats in last 7 matches and we keep sliding down the table ! We start number of games with flat back five with two defensive midfielders sitting deeply. The only 2 wins in last 7 were against the two bottom teams. Yes you can only beat what is in front of you but whenever we play an opponent with a bit of quality we usually are on the back foot. Leeds away was the only exception. We even started with back five against bottom Bolton at home !!!
McCarthy has no plan B. Just keep hoofing for the most of the time and hope for a luck.

As for the Dubai's last paragraph that the club has/hasn't moved forward since McCarthy's took over. The club had moved forward but been on the gradual decline since the play-off season. People claim he had nothing to spend. But he doesn't help himself by how he sets us up and his attitude. Yes the problems lie deeper than him as it's Evans who is a cancer of the club and he isn't with us to make us better, stronger and progressive. But as I've said McCarthy doesn't help himself.

Norwich on Sunday. They remain unbeaten against us in the last 8 meetings. First two of them were under the two worst managers we have ever had. McCarthy's stats against them 0-3-3. He NEVER set us up to beat them ! He seems to be content to play for a draw. If I am a moaner for not accepting that then call me a moaner. I don't care ! I'm sick of his tactics (not only against Norwich). I want us to play with the energy and enthusiasm. I want an opponent to try to match us up for a change.
Don't expect me to accept it if we again sit back and allow Norwich to have a good at us. We can beat them but we have to attack them from the start.

Let me clarify. I will remain a moaner or how some say 'negative' if I have a reason. I want both Evans and McCarthy out. I hate this horrible league and we as a club don't benefit at all from being in it. Some might be saying that the life in the Premier League won't be enjoyable. I'm asking what is to enjoy in this bloody Championship after 15 years? I'd rather be beaten 1-3 at home in the Premier League than by Bristol City in the Championship. If there is a definition of tinpot club who drift along without any ambitions that is Ipswich Town. But that is what the Evans era has done for the club. And our crowds will keep dwindling.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:I'm perhaps one of the 'moaners' but my moan is for the reason. I agree with Bluemike that there are number of our fans who are in a full voice when we lose. You will rarely see them (or won't see at all) on the forums if we play well and get good results. But there is a number of eternal optimists who themselves think everything is rosy at Ipswich Town and they slagg off everyone who is 'negative'. I for example have been heavily slated by some (not here just on TWTD where there is quite a big number of blue tinted happy clappers) for my opinions.

Dubai Blue is using the term 'patience'. Excuse me what patience do you expect? 16 years in this horrible, goddamn league so some of us are frustrated in general with what the club's policy. We're million miles away from the Premier League. Evans and the club has no ambitions at all to make us stronger and better. If we finish this season in midtable for example then will it mean there is an improvement? Not in my opinion. We just drift along, drift anonymously in this league and number of our fans wouldn't mind to stay in it for another 100 years.

But if there is an improvement as some claim why do crowds keep dwindling? Why do Portman Road is half or even more than half empty during the matches? Why will there be only 22-23k for the Norwich match?

People are pointing out at our league position and claim this isn't bad given the number of injuries. Dubai I'm telling you if it hadn't been for injuries we would have been 19th-20th at this time. McCarthy was forced to play many attacking minded players during the freak August spell and that's why it paid off. Of course there must be the balance in the squad and you can't play that way all the time throughout the season. But the problem is that McCarthy is coming back to his old ways and it really infuriates me. Stopping opposition playing, matching up tactics, sitting back and inviting the pressure. When will be the time that opponent is scared of us and has to match us up? We seem to be such gutless and fearful team at times. Sheffield Utd away for example last Saturday. The only impressive spell from us was the last 15 minutes of the first half. What about first 30 minutes? We sat deeply and allowed them to have a go at us.
Millwall away back in August and the first half was tasty. We'd keep going forward, we'd score for fun. Why cannot we play like that and put the opposition under pressure?

To all those saying that we're improving: 5 defeats in last 7 matches and we keep sliding down the table ! We start number of games with flat back five with two defensive midfielders sitting deeply. The only 2 wins in last 7 were against the two bottom teams. Yes you can only beat what is in front of you but whenever we play an opponent with a bit of quality we usually are on the back foot. Leeds away was the only exception. We even started with back five against bottom Bolton at home !!!
McCarthy has no plan B. Just keep hoofing for the most of the time and hope for a luck.

As for the Dubai's last paragraph that the club has/hasn't moved forward since McCarthy's took over. The club had moved forward but been on the gradual decline since the play-off season. People claim he had nothing to spend. But he doesn't help himself by how he sets us up and his attitude. Yes the problems lie deeper than him as it's Evans who is a cancer of the club and he isn't with us to make us better, stronger and progressive. But as I've said McCarthy doesn't help himself.

Norwich on Sunday. They remain unbeaten against us in the last 8 meetings. First two of them were under the two worst managers we have ever had. McCarthy's stats against them 0-3-3. He NEVER set us up to beat them ! He seem to be content to play for a draw. If I am a moaner for not accepting that then call me a moaner. I don't care ! I'm sick of his tactics (not only against Norwich). I want us to play with the energy and enthusiasm. I want an opponent to try to match us up for a change.
Don't expect me to accept it if we again sit back and allow Norwich to have a good at us. We can beat them but we have to attack them from the start.

Let me clarify. I will remain a moaner or how some say 'negative' if I have a reason. I hate this horrible league and we as a club don't benefit at all from being in it. Some might be saying that the life in the Premier League won't be enjoyable. I'm asking what is to enjoy in this bloody Championship after 15 years? I'd rather be beaten 1-3 at home in the Premier League than by Bristol City in the Championship. If there is a definition of tinpot club who drift along without any ambitions that is Ipswich Town. But that is what the Evans era has done for the club. And our crowds will keep dwindling.
That is superbly put! Spot on in my humble opinion.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm

bluemike wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:
Unfortunately Derick it isn't, I firmly believe there are fans who love it, by and large we are lucky on here as most are levelheaded with the clubs best interest at heart but you look around on FB, TWTD, Twitter and all the other deadbeat options and you will find them, only coming out after a defeat and loving it, trust me it happens, they stir it up and stick the boot in, when we win nothing much is said. Whether this is a way of heaping pressure on MM in their shallow minds I dont know but it is happening, maybe when he does finally go it will stop.
Agree Mike they are out there, I always remember the Mick Out lynch mob down the Mol, actually hoping we lost so Mick would get moved on, they weren't so loud when we reached Div 1 in a season after they got there wish. I don't think Ipswich Town would have returned from Div 1 if MM & TC hadn't saved them from the drop, Fans have very short memories.

as a reward for your loyalty Mike we offer you a chance to join the Wolves revolution, chairman of the Suffolk Wolves branch. sign here please .....................................

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 pm

LOL G&B, as much as I appreciate your offer I am Blue & White until I die, but thanks all the same. :D

As you say they are definitely out there, pretty sad people in truth, spending most of their lives on something they get no pleasure out of, that says it all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Mach, how have we reverted to our old ways ? The last Five games have seen us beat Bolton & Sunderland, play very very well at Leeds and should have won and lost to Bristol City where we played Waghorn, McGoldrick, Celina & Garner, that is not defensive and we didnt sit back, at Sheff Utd we had as many attempts at goal as they did and while we were not great I still say we didn't sit back and invite them on to us, it was more a case of them being better and pushing us back, it doesn't always mean we sit back.

We may have had 16 "horrible seasons" in this division but only Five under MM, don't really want to go over it again but look where we were when he arrived, pretty much down, we have improved year on year until last season when we had our bad blip, to get into the play offs at all was a bloody miracle given our spending power, maybe a gripe at ME is valid but at MM ? he had to play to his strengths and at times I accept that wasn't the best to watch, but it is a means to an end. Every season it gets harder and harder because the gulf between the haves and have nots get bigger and bigger, it is Multi millions we are talking here, you wait and see how the Scum get on next season if they dont go up this time around, no more parachute money, that will be a different scenario. Of course they have had the upper hand in recent seasons, hardly surprising really, in actual fact they have beaten us only once in the last Four meetings and at least two of those we were the better side and robbed of victory with crap decisions like Douglas' goal being disallowed etc.

While Five defeats in Seven is not great we have not played that badly in a lot of games and a win Sunday will still see us well placed with a Quarter of the season gone, Mach you cant say we would be 19th - 20th if it wasn't for injureis, that is just silly and your opinion, not fact, what is a fact is that we have had a worse injury list than pretty much everyone and still have several missing. I also completely disagree that he has no plan B, sometimes this season he has had a Plan B, C & D such is the amount of times he's changed things, Sheefield being a classic case in point, he changed it numerous times, that is having a plan B. Same as the hoofing thing Mach, we haven't hoofed it much this season at all, Sheffield for a time was the most, other games we have played much better football.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm

I have consistently said in recent seasons that I do not think ITFC will ever gain promotion under MM's management. I do not like the style of football he plays, I do not like the contempt with which he treated fans last season and I do not like him as a person. As far as I am concerned he is yesterdays man and past his best.

If that offends anyone, so be it, but that does not stop me being an ITFC fan. I have supported the team throughout my and entire life, but like Mac I am sick to the back teeth with being stuck in this division along with all the goes with it. I only want better for the club.

Mac's post along with an earlier one from Rossi encompass almost all of what I and I'm pretty sure what a lot of others feel.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm

So the bit where Rossi rightly points out about being in the top six if we win our game in hand is reason to be downbeat Billy?

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 am

bluemike wrote:So the bit where Rossi rightly points out about being in the top six if we win our game in hand is reason to be downbeat Billy?
I haven't bothered to look back Mike, but didn't Rossi quote two scenarios that amounted to the same thing apart from a matter of interpretation. It doesn't matter though, I have put down my opinion in an open and honest way. If that rankles, I can't help that. The important thing is that despite what others think, I still support the team I have supported the the last 65+ years and no-one will deny me.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:06 pm

At least the majority of fans on this forum still care. Unfortunately, I think we've lost a lot of our fan base over the course of ME's ownership. Conversely, without ME's bail-out who knows where we'd be. We all want more success no matter who the manager is. I do think MM deserves a chance to redeem himself after last season's failure, and I think it's a bit early to think he won't achieve at least an improvement this season. Not that my opinion matters, but I made a decision last year that I would have to lower my expectations in order to continue supporting ITFC. Which I have...because I'll always love ITFC. However with that said, I do still hope we'll get back to the premier league one day. As far as negative vs positive goes, I enjoy reading both sides of the coin. What I don't like is how some people have been verbally attacked for expressing their opinions, and frankly that should be kept in check on an approved forum for ITFC. I certainly don't want to create any divisions, so maybe we should just have a 'group-hug' and a cup of tea.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:39 pm

A very valid point....lower expectations, we are a million miles away from the sir Bobby days.

As for the tea who's making it ??

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Aw FFS, the milk's turned. Who the F left the milk out the fridge? Useless bstds. We'll get that group hug after one of you has been to the shops! And get some plain chocolate hob nobs. There is nothing better than dunking a nob, and sucking a nob.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:17 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:I'm perhaps one of the 'moaners' but my moan is for the reason. I agree with Bluemike that there are number of our fans who are in a full voice when we lose. You will rarely see them (or won't see at all) on the forums if we play well and get good results. But there is a number of eternal optimists who themselves think everything is rosy at Ipswich Town and they slagg off everyone who is 'negative'. I for example have been heavily slated by some (not here just on TWTD where there is quite a big number of blue tinted happy clappers) for my opinions.

But if there is an improvement as some claim why do crowds keep dwindling? Why do Portman Road is half or even more than half empty during the matches? Why will there be only 22-23k for the Norwich match?

Norwich on Sunday. They remain unbeaten against us in the last 8 meetings. First two of them were under the two worst managers we have ever had. McCarthy's stats against them 0-3-3. He NEVER set us up to beat them ! He seem to be content to play for a draw. If I am a moaner for not accepting that then call me a moaner. I don't care ! I'm sick of his tactics (not only against Norwich). I want us to play with the energy and enthusiasm. I want an opponent to try to match us up for a change.

Let me clarify. I will remain a moaner or how some say 'negative' if I have a reason. I hate this horrible league and we as a club don't benefit at all from being in it. Some might be saying that the life in the Premier League won't be enjoyable. I'm asking what is to enjoy in this bloody Championship after 15 years? I'd rather be beaten 1-3 at home in the Premier League than by Bristol City in the Championship. If there is a definition of tinpot club who drift along without any ambitions that is Ipswich Town. But that is what the Evans era has done for the club. And our crowds will keep dwindling.
That is superbly put! Spot on in my humble opinion.
I will second that we'll said Mach.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:34 pm

marko69 wrote:Aw FFS, the milk's turned. Who the F left the milk out the fridge? Useless bstds. We'll get that group hug after one of you has been to the shops! And get some plain chocolate hob nobs. There is nothing better than dunking a nob, and sucking a nob.
Speak for yourself on the last bit Marko lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:03 pm

A hob nob, man!! What were you thinking?! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I was thinking way too many nobs lol.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

number 9 wrote:At least the majority of fans on this forum still care. Unfortunately, I think we've lost a lot of our fan base over the course of ME's ownership. Conversely, without ME's bail-out who knows where we'd be. We all want more success no matter who the manager is. I do think MM deserves a chance to redeem himself after last season's failure, and I think it's a bit early to think he won't achieve at least an improvement this season. Not that my opinion matters, but I made a decision last year that I would have to lower my expectations in order to continue supporting ITFC. Which I have...because I'll always love ITFC. However with that said, I do still hope we'll get back to the premier league one day. As far as negative vs positive goes, I enjoy reading both sides of the coin. What I don't like is how some people have been verbally attacked for expressing their opinions, and frankly that should be kept in check on an approved forum for ITFC. I certainly don't want to create any divisions, so maybe we should just have a 'group-hug' and a cup of tea.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know why, but people always run away when I try and hug them!

You are right about the verbal attacks. It has become quite intimidating on here sometimes in the last few months: well, from the middle of last season anyway.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 pm

bluemike wrote:Mach, how have we reverted to our old ways ? The last Five games have seen us beat Bolton & Sunderland, play very very well at Leeds and should have won and lost to Bristol City where we played Waghorn, McGoldrick, Celina & Garner, that is not defensive and we didnt sit back, at Sheff Utd we had as many attempts at goal as they did and while we were not great I still say we didn't sit back and invite them on to us, it was more a case of them being better and pushing us back, it doesn't always mean we sit back.

We may have had 16 "horrible seasons" in this division but only Five under MM, don't really want to go over it again but look where we were when he arrived, pretty much down, we have improved year on year until last season when we had our bad blip, to get into the play offs at all was a bloody miracle given our spending power, maybe a gripe at ME is valid but at MM ? he had to play to his strengths and at times I accept that wasn't the best to watch, but it is a means to an end. Every season it gets harder and harder because the gulf between the haves and have nots get bigger and bigger, it is Multi millions we are talking here, you wait and see how the Scum get on next season if they dont go up this time around, no more parachute money, that will be a different scenario. Of course they have had the upper hand in recent seasons, hardly surprising really, in actual fact they have beaten us only once in the last Four meetings and at least two of those we were the better side and robbed of victory with crap decisions like Douglas' goal being disallowed etc.

While Five defeats in Seven is not great we have not played that badly in a lot of games and a win Sunday will still see us well placed with a Quarter of the season gone, Mach you cant say we would be 19th - 20th if it wasn't for injureis, that is just silly and your opinion, not fact, what is a fact is that we have had a worse injury list than pretty much everyone and still have several missing. I also completely disagree that he has no plan B, sometimes this season he has had a Plan B, C & D such is the amount of times he's changed things, Sheefield being a classic case in point, he changed it numerous times, that is having a plan B. Same as the hoofing thing Mach, we haven't hoofed it much this season at all, Sheffield for a time was the most, other games we have played much better football.
Mike I have only said that in my opinion McCarthy is coming back to his old ways and a few September matches have proved that. I haven't said we've fully returned to that.

Let's have a look:
1. QPR away - as you remember it was thoroughly abject. I said to you on the day that it was the return to the old ways and you replied that you couldn't stand another season like that last one yet again. We lacked everything that day. Energy, attacking intent, there was literally no positives to take it from.
2. Bolton home - yes we won but didn't he start with 5 defenders? His ways again. Did we put them under the pressure from the start? We didn't.
3. Leeds away - everyone is raving about that and rightly so as fighting spirit is what we want. However first 20-25 minutes and we had let them have a go at us and people perhaps don't remember the manner in which we conceded goals. Very poor defending.
4. Sunderland home - I'll give you that OK. Sunderland were devoid of confidence and we took our opportunity.
5. Bristol City home - yes you're right we started with Waghorn, Celina but my main issue is with the 2nd half. Garner's shot at Fielding aside we never threatened them. You claim that McCarthy has plan B, C etc. Where was that? We kept hoofing towards their centre backs and they had no problems to deal with it. If hoofing doesn't work then try different way. It didn't work and it was so glaring.
6. Sheffield Utd away - first half an hour pure McCarthyism and let the opposition have a go at us. Last 15 minutes of the first half was the only good spell. Second half and apart from Waghorn hitting the bar we never really troubled Blackman in their goal. Painful hoofing for the most of this half.

As I've been saying many times I have no problems with hoofball as long as it gives us results. Give me ugliest, boring 1-0 wins every week and I'll be happy as it's all about results no matter how it's achieved. But if hoofing doesn't work he has to alter our system. Unfortunately this set up is his favourite one. If we start like that against Norwich then it's gonna be like it always has been in the recent years. Yes they have only beaten us once despite the millions in their disposal but I'm fed up of all those: should have/could have beaten them, there wasn't much between us and them blah blah blah. Yes Douglas' goal should have stood I know. But McCarthy doesn't probably realise what it means for the fans. He is content to take the draw and yap about a few quid they spent. Norwich is just another game for him and that pisses me off.
We'll see how he sets up the team on Sunday. Don't want to see back five and two deeply sitting defensive midfielders !

As for my opinion that we would have been 19th-20th had it not been for injuries. You Mike think it's a silly one. OK I respect that. But I'll return to the Millwall one where we were heavily depleted and he was forced to play many attacking players. Mike if he had had more fit players he would have played for a point. Because that's his way. Stop that for f**ks sake and put teams under the pressure and let them worry about us for a change !!!

My general feeling won't change regardless of what happens on Sunday as we'll keep drifting anonymously in this league. But I want to be buoyed by the team's performance, I want the team to put them under the pressure, to attack them and finally beat them as 8 years without beating them is somewhat an embarrassment. If McCarthy keeps treating this fixture like just another game then their long unbeaten record against us is going to remain intact.