Town vs Them Up The Road Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The One That Matters!

Town Win
42%
The Awful Alternative
37%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

Town vs Them Up The Road Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am

Image Ipswich Town v NorwichImage

Sunday 22nd October 2017 – 12:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

This is it.....The "Big One" I am of the opinion that your home Derby game is the biggest game of the season, don't give me all this nonsense about it being just another game, that it's just another Three points at stake, there is far more at stake than that, bragging rights for a few months mean a lot in these parts and we have not had them for some time now, in fact we have not beaten our inbred friends since April 2009 if i'm not mistaken and having to endure their cocky arrogance for over Eight years has been hard to take especially the play off defeat at Carrow Road which saw them go on to reach the Premier League, the riches which came from that has mean't they have had a big advantage over us in recent seasons in their quest for East Anglian dominance and it is something we have had to suffer with a fair bit of envy. But !! When all is said and done where are they now ? A measly One point better off than us, so their mega Millions has served them well hasn't it, for me they have failed if we are that close to them with virtually nowt to spend since Noah built the Arc, a win for us will see us leapfrog them again and with that game in hand still in our favour.

The big question is can we finally beat them again ? I genuinely believe we have a very good chance this time around, I really do, the players should need no motivation at all for this game, if they do they shouldn't be playing its as simple as that. Mick's pre match team talk has been all the more easier by Nelson Oliveira's arrogant comments and just a copy of that pinned to the Town dressing room wall is all that is required, he couild well have given us a big foot up with that outburst, in the ascendancy for a few years they may well have been but a better club ? Do me a favour, their history of hiring and firing managers coupled with winning virtually nothing of note hardly represents a better club, form is temporary and class is permanent, some Town fans need to remember that too by the way. If this game doesn't get the goosebumps standing up then nothing will and I suggest you look for another sport, I hate them with a passion, any Town fan that doesn't feel it has issues in my book, this is the one I want more than anything and a win against them could be the catalyst for our return to form, forgetting the derby scenario for a second we really need to win this to keep the fans on board and Seven wins from Twelve would represent a very decent start, continue that for the season and we will be up there. Please please please lets get behind the boys, raise the roof and show the farmhands how proud we are of the boys in Blue, let's make a difference when the players need it most, we can make home advantage pay and the atmosphere needs to be loud and it needs to be hostile, we have a part to play, let's do our bit properly, even if things dont all go our way stick with it.

Saturdays trip to Sheffield United ultimately ended in defeat, a game that looking at the stats suggest there wasn't much in it was there to be won but failing to take our chances when they did come coupled with some very jittery defending cost us dear. Some would have you believe it was every bit as bad as last season which is completely wrong in my opinion, I get a bit fed up of the childish Mick out crap that follows every defeat and I find myself thinking these people really must have sad and depressing lives if they only see the bad stuff all the time, I suppose it is something we have to live with if we follow ITFC, I think I should maybe stop going to games as it appears not going gives you a far better view of what goes on and how we played. I accept we all see things differently and all have an opinion but the Knee jerk change from One week to another really is embarrassing, not to mention tedious.

The final word has to be on the East Anglian Derby, we can do this, at our best we are good enough to beat them, they are nothing special either, this is One game where I would go for the Jugular from the off with a very attack minded line up, Garner, Didsy, Waghorn and Celina with Adeyemi in behind is how I would go in this one, Spence is a must in the defence too. Play your hearts out Boys and give the Town a buzz again, it is too long since we felt it, it is our time.......BLUE ARMY !!!!!

The Opposition – Norwich City

Norwich City F.C. was formed on 17 June 1902.

Following a FA Commission, the club was ousted from the amateur game in 1905, as it was deemed to be a professional organisation. Later that year Norwich were elected to play in the Southern League and with increasing crowds, they were forced to leave Newmarket Road in 1908, moving to The Nest, a disused chalk pit. The club's original nickname was the Citizens, although this was superseded by 1907 by the more familiar 'Canaries' after the club's chairman (who was a keen breeder of canaries) dubbed his boys 'The Canaries' and changing their strip to yellow and green. During the First World War, with football suspended and facing spiralling debts, City went into voluntary liquidation on 10 December 1917.

The club was officially reformed on 15 February 1919. When, in May 1920, the Football League formed a third Division, Norwich joined the Third Division for the following season. The club went on to endure a mediocre decade, finishing no higher than eighth but no lower than 18th. The following decade proved more successful for the club with promotion as champions to the Second Division in the 1933–34 season. With crowds continuing to rise, and with the Football Association raising concerns over the suitability of The Nest, the club considered renovation of the ground, but ultimately decided on a move to Carrow Road. The club was relegated to the 3rd Division just before the outbreak of Second World War. The league was suspended the following season and did not resume until the 1946–47 season. City finished this and the following season in 21st place, the poor results forcing the club to apply for re-election to the league.

In the 1959–60 season, Norwich were promoted to the Second Division after finishing in second place. In 1962 Ron Ashman guided Norwich to their first trophy, in a two-legged final to win the League Cup.

Sixth place in the league was the closest the club came to promotion to the First Division during the 1960s, but after winning the division in the 1971–72 season under manager Ron Saunders, Norwich City reached the highest level of English football for the first time. Relegation to the Second Division in 1974 resulted in the resignation of Saunders and the appointment of John Bond. A highly successful first season saw promotion back to the First Division. Bond resigned during the 1980–81 season and the club were relegated, but bounced back the following season after finishing third.

The 1984–85 season was of mixed fortunes for the club; under Ken Brown's guidance, they reached the final of the Football League Cup at Wembley Stadium, having defeated Ipswich Town in the semi-final. In the final, they beat Sunderland , but in the league both Norwich and Sunderland were relegated to the second tier of English football. This made Norwich the first English club to win a major trophy and suffer relegation in the same season.

City bounced back to the top flight by winning the Second Division championship in the 1985–86 season. This was the start of what remains in 2012 a club-record nine consecutive seasons in the top division of English football until they were relegated to the First Division at the end of the 1994/95 season.

English television cook Delia Smith and husband Michael Wynn-Jones took over the majority of Norwich City's shares in 1996.

Nigel Worthington took over as Norwich City manager in December 2000 following an unsuccessful two years for the club under Bruce Rioch and then Bryan Hamilton.

The 2003–04 campaign saw the club win the First Division title, and returned to the top flight for the first time since 1995, but were relegated after one season.

Following this relegation, the club entered a 'dark' period with Worthington, Peter Grant, Glenn Roeder and Bryan Gunn all taking on the Managers role and achieving mediocre results, culminating in the relegation to League 1 at the end of the 2008/9 season.

Following their relegation, their first game of the season resulted in a shock 7–1 home defeat against East Anglian rivals Colchester United. This was the club's heaviest ever home defeat, succeeding a record that had stood since 1946 and Gunn was sacked six days later.

On 18 August 2009, Paul Lambert was announced as the new manager, leaving his post at Colchester, and nine months later led Norwich to promotion back to the Championship as League One Champions, after a single season in League One. The following season saw Norwich promoted to the Premier League, finishing second in the table, completing the first back-to-back promotions from the 3rd tier to the 1st.

A generally successful season saw the club finish in 12th place in their first season back in the Premier League. Manager Paul Lambert resigned within a month of the season's close to take up the vacant managerial spot at Aston Villa, and was replaced by Chris Hughton.

The 2012–13 season started poorly and a bad run of form that was followed by a club record unbeaten run in the Premier League. A 1–0 home defeat to Luton Town on 26 January 2013 resulted in Norwich becoming the first English top flight team to lose a FA Cup tie to a non-league side in 24 years.

Norwich secured their third year in the Premier League with consecutive victories in the last two games of the season, to finish 11th in the league, however they were relegated back to the Championship after finishing 18th in the 2013–14 season.

After a mediocre first half of the 2014–15 season, Neil Adams resigned which paved the way for the appointment of then Hamilton Academical manager Alex Neil in January 2015. The appointment reinvigorated Norwich's season and after narrowly missing out on automatic promotion back to the Premier League, victory in the 2015 Championship playoff final secured an immediate return to the top division of English football.

This was only temporary relief, however, they were relegated straight back to the Championship for the 2016/17 season.

The following season started successfully, with the club sitting top of the Championship in mid October. However, a poor run of form and results followed, which included five consecutive defeats, and saw the team slide to as low as twelfth in the table. On 10 March 2017, Alex Neil was sacked by the club , with first team coach Alan Irvine placed in caretaker charge for the remainder of the season, which saw the club finish eighth in the Championship.

On 25 May 2017, the club appointed German coach Daniel Farke as head coach, becoming the first foreign head coach of the club in its 114-year history for the 2017/18 campaign.

The Manager – Daniel Farke

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Sheff Utd's view on that lot!

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5236242

Fans reaction

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/get-a ... t-to-loss/

Stewart Watsons Verdict

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5237218

Karl Fuller'sreaction

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5237238

Tractorgirls Game report

http://www.ipswichtownladiesfc.co.uk/si ... -Continues

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in place with points

Sheffield Utd 1-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-3 Bristol City

Ipswich Town 5-2 Sunderland

Leeds United 3-2 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Norwich Last 5 Matches – Currently in place with points

Norwich City 1-1 Hull City

Reading FC 1-2 Norwich City

Middlesbrough 0-1 Norwich City

Norwich City 0-0 Bristol City

Brentford FC 1-3 Norwich City

Fixtures of Interest

DERBY VS SHEFF. WEDNESDAY

ASTON VILLA VS FULHAM

BRISTOL CITY VS LEEDS UTD

MIDDLESBROUGH VS CARDIFF

Marko's Caption Contest- THE DON CUP

Sheffield United Scores

Blueblood 5 pts
Ando 4pts
Tangfastic, Quasar 3pts
Shed on Tour 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

TANGFASTIC 26
OHIOTRACTORBOY 22
SHED ON TOUR 21
NICSCREAMER 20
BLUEMIKE 20
BARMY BILLY 19
FROSTY 19
DERICKIPSW 17
ANDO 16
BLUEBLOOD 15
HERFORDER 15
NUMBER9 11
QUASAR 10
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 9
WATERSHIP DOWN 8
BLUEPETER 8
LOUDnPROUD 4
JAMMA123 4
AYLESBURY BLUE 2
PATTHEGIMP 1

Derby week…….., points for BOTH pictures

Norwich City Caption Pictures

Match Referee – Tim Robinson

IPSWICH TOWN 2 NORWICH CITY 1

nicscreamer

Re: Town vs Them Up The Road Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

This one has draw written all over it . So I'm predicting 3-1 to Us :-)

Caption 1 - Paul Lambert returns to show his support for Norwich

Caption 2 - Dyslexic Ipswich fan suddenly realises she's supporting Norwich!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Caption 1) Grant Holt’s double life As Canary Fairy is finally exposed.

Caption 2) For years I have been searching for my real mother and I eventually find her and discover it is f****** Delia Smith!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Caption 1. Scum fan starts to spell what we think he is beginning with T.

Caption 2. Delia Smith's twin is devastated to find out she only has 4 fingers instead of the usual 6.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Caption 1......."Look at me, I finally give birth to my Sister in Four weeks"

Caption 2......."Oh my God, please please please take that awful f**king picture of Iwan Roberts down, it's terrifying"

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm as hopeful as ever Ipswich 2 Norwich 1

Caption: I love Deliah's pies
Girl Caption "We lost to Ipswich, lost to Ipswich aaarrrggh"

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 am

I don't think Canary fairy could come on anything.

Shergar's teeth found in Norfolk.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

Caption 1 : Look Everyone I'm Pregnant

Caption 2 : Argghh You Cheated on me then, who was it of the four, mum, aunt, grandma or sister ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

I'd suggest that ITFC players be on guard regarding hard tackles this Sunday. They've recruited an ex NZ Rugby Union player as boss.

With Mike in the sense that no one should need uplifted for this game. It's a derby, no motivational discussions required! Unless of course the Hibs 2012 attitude has manifested itself in the changing rooms, then yes, get motivational speaking, TC.

Really think the win is achievable, maybe 1 or 2-0. Just DO NOT let them score first. Ipswich look too poor at the back to be chasing the game......, a counter attack will see Kay Nood prancing about looking like Ronald McDonald.

Ref caption:

Player: REF, what were you thinking?

Ref: HEY, up there for thinking........

........, and doon there for dancin'

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 pm

I am not sure why, but this time I really feel we have the players to win this. Going for 2 0 home win. Love the last para of the review. Let's take the game by the throat and bury them!

Caption1; under cover social worker confirms via text two counts of abuse. Count 1 public humiliation of a minor, the wearing of a Norwich shirt. Count 2 neglect, not properly clothing son with mental age of two!

Caption 2, inbred mother refuses to accept allegations and pledges to carry the family breeding programme

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm

It's only Wednesday and already THREE votes for the Budgie win. It's not THAT bad is it?

Let's see more votes for the ITFC win.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:19 am

Caption 1.

Norwich fans are so thick they need a kid to hold up cue cards for the songs.

Caption 2
Its well know that of all the wierd families in norwich the Adams family are the most well known and normal of them all. Its also nice to put a face to a name for Cousin it, thanks to hand

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:21 am

It's Thursday, one extra vote for ITFC but two for NCFC!

:lol: f**king depressing bstds.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 am

LMAO

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm

ITFC 1 : NCFC 0 - Its going to be happen. Fourth star waiting for Chambo if we do it.

Caption 1: Pensive wife sitting down thinking "Much as I support my husband during his gender re-assignment - that yellow and green wig and grass skirt is f**king too much !!!!" .

Caption 2: NCFC Fans Initiative - New Seating Area allocated for NCFC Leprosy Sufferers Members Club gets seal of approval. Not necessarily a thumbs up - but any kind of surviving digit up.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

for me, it depends on our approach.

We're the home team, and should play to our strengths, so I think the following team:
--------------------------Bart---------------------
----------Webster------Chambers------Smith---
Spence---Waghorn---Adeyami---Celina---Knudsen
-------------Garner-----------McGoldrick-------

would easily achieve a good win.

But I do not think for one minute that MM will field this line-up, so I'll go for a 2-2 draw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Smith AND K Nood? It'll be like watching feckin Laurel & Hardy down the left.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Like many have said, it really depends on MM's approach. I think if we take an attacking approach, it could be a very entertaining match with many goals. If MM takes a defensive approach, we could easily lose control if the Scum score first...or we'll settle for a bore-draw where the paper's will say we were crap.

Positive me: ITFC 3 v Scum 2
Negative me: ITFC 1 v Scum 1

Really negative me: ITFC 0 v Scum 2

Caption: Lord Voldemort conjures an evil spell and transforms a young Harry Potter into a scum fan. Voldemort projects his presence as a traditional, in-bred he/she, scummer, to seem normal in the scum crowd. The only force that may save young Harry from his doom, is three bright, shining stars on a blue uniform. Harry, seek the three stars and be released from hell!

Capiton: The only woman who hasn't been sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein, says the only thing that saved her was a yellow and green scarf!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 am

Caption Comp 1 : Scum Samba Band in full swing it`s too late
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=no ... ORM=VRDGAR
Caption Comp 2 : Give me 5 I Said .

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 am

Have to agree with Numbernine......If MM playes to OUR strengths rather than containing the oppositions, This game is very long awaited winnable......This is one of MMs biggest problems. He has assembled a pretty good squad on a limited budget. He needs to unleash them now and stop all this tatical crap that we are not suited for.....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:30 am

loudnproud wrote:Have to agree with Numbernine......If MM playes to OUR strengths rather than containing the oppositions, This game is very long awaited winnable......This is one of MMs biggest problems. He has assembled a pretty good squad on a limited budget. He needs to unleash them now and stop all this tatical crap that we are not suited for.....
Well put. Not sure why there's a lot of grumbling going on about moaning and negativity with people on this forum. Its pretty well-behaved (compared to TWTD) and there's usually moans with substance. MM has done a good job over the summer in getting a decent squad ... but IMO he should get them fired up and let them loose a bit more ... instead of imposing himself too much with tactics. We could lose more ... but we'll win more ... and the 3 points stack up better. We know he's got a difficult job with little resources and he's kept the squad tight-knit ... just wish we can express ourselves more. Law of averages means we have to have to win sometime - and its been a long time... hope the guys are fired up and put in a great performance. The players have it in them if the shackles are loosened a bit.

Optimistic for Sunday.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:53 pm

f*ck it, went with a home victory. Just couldn't bring myself to award them a potential victory. All dependant on who wants it more, no point including anything further, just wait until the time arises and take it from there.

Ipswich 3 Norwich City 1

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:29 am

Caption Comp 1: Bryan Gunn tells son Angus I Am really your Mother.
Caption Comp 2 :Susan Gunn was "a beauty queen turned lingerie model" who "launched a fashion business, Now regrets moving to Norwich the years have not been good to her.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Really looking forward to seeing if we go full throttle as I hope we do. Can't help but think they are there for the taking, of course it won't be easy but I see no reason why we can't get at them from start to finish and have a great day.
Mick is not renowned for the attack minded play or free expression, he seems to enjoy a team full of workhorses. Let's get behind the lads and make this an awesome day for the BLUEARMY.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Noj are on form Ipswich are not..draw at best.Not sure if its already been discussed..is Garner injured?wasn't even on the bench for the last game.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 am

Caption (1 & 2 together):

"'Married at first sight' ................ sometimes this programme is prone to epic fails"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 am

Caption 2 photo:

Me: "Casualty isn't on tonight, honey."

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:28 am

Anyone got a good link of the match? We poor unfortunates abroad could really use one.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 pm

You need a Sports Bar with Sky Sports, great picture over here in Spain. Luckily it doesn't clash with any Premier League kick off.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Although we've created the best chances the stats show 0 "Shots on Target"...