Town vs Them Up The Road Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The One That Matters!

Town Win
42%
The Awful Alternative
37%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 19

lucy

Re: Town vs Them Up The Road Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by lucy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 pm

0-1 down :x

shamm

Post by shamm » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Noooo.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 pm

Real disappointment went caught the score. Haven't seen victory over these for some eight years in all competition but still time to produce something. Reports indicate we haven't made the most of opportunities that have come our way but subs have been introduced and hoping someone out there (one of our own obviously) can make a name for themselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Fkn unreal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Game has concluded and a 0 - 1 home loss, first impression one of anger and frustration but what's done is done, can't amend what has occurred.

Will be interesting to learn of not only fan reaction but McCarthy's take on events. Would of liked to have been there today, so we got beat but the atmosphere for games of this nature are hard to beat. Once again, tangible disappointment, but at least looking ahead to reaction from today's encounter.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 pm

phily bon bon wrote:Anyone got a good link of the match? We poor unfortunates abroad could really use one.

bit late now, but if you have android go to livefs.net and download the app, perfect 100% HD quality everytime,

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Micks substitutions smacked if desperation. He stood on sideline whole game with hands in pocket. Terry c did try

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Can't believe it took 86 mins for our first shot on target which even then was a feeble effort from way outside the area by Cole Skuse. I thought we played ok at times but didn't have the individual class of players like Wes Hoolahan and James Maddison who always looked dangerous on the ball.

Such a shame Jonas Knusdens early effort didn't find the back of the net, cos had it done so I really fancied our chances, but as the game went on there really only looked one likely outcome.

With three of our next four games away we really must nick a win at Burton next Saturday otherwise we could find ourselves dropping into the bottom quartile by the end of November which would be such a waste after all our early season promise.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:21 pm

For me, and I might get balls ruffled, (and I missed first 25mins due to traffic jam) but this one is on the players. Thought the starting line up was pretty good, and thought they'd have done more. They should've fired themselves up after going one down. Was feeling exactly the same as Mick looked last 15 minutes.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Your not wrong there Marko especially the senior players like McGoldrick for example who I thought was quite poor and gave the ball way far too many times. Like you I was impressed with the starting line up and thought we'd really have a go at them. Unfortunately and as much as we don't like it Norwich looked a far more organised side and rock solid in defence. No surprise they've now won five consecutive away games against some tough opposition.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:53 pm

We are what we are, I'm afraid. A run of the mill mid-table side at best who will go nowhere under the current owner & manager.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 pm

You must admit yourself though, Billy, ....., should've been more than two shots on target in a derby match. Creativity just wasn't happening today and I'm failing to see how Mick, on the day, could've changed that. After going 1-0 down, the urgency got worse! That's on the players. Sears injected a few hopeful minutes but other than that...... they let Mick and the fans down today. What was the first 25 minutes like, anyone?

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Deeply disappointed to loose to them yet again. I only caught the tail end of the first half and the entire second half, but we never even looked dangerous. They seem to be getting so much room and time on the ball.
There was unfortunately a difference in class and ability today and that pains me to say. What Mick has done is nothing short of a miracle spending next to nothing and mixing it with the big boys most seasons.
We need to see we are what we are a mid table championship team winning on occasion and loosing on occasions.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Just saw extended highlights....... Kay Nood's shot off the post first half. Very unlucky indeed. And strong play pushing the defender off prior....... gone up a couple of notches in my book, Jonas.

Waghorn, with a bit more luck, could've been 3-0 Town before the puke yellow bstds scored.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm

:shock: Well after watching the whole of this game, I'm in the same opinion as Barmy Billy, we aint going know where with these performances, once again the ball spent more time in the air hoofing it aimlessly, it was a bloody good effort from Knudsen though, only he seems to know the effort that has to be put in on these derby games, and why oh Fooking why was Celina stuck on the bench until the 75 minute, was good to see young Downs on he's certainly a live wire, McGoldrick had a very in and out game, he needs Celina along side him, with Martin Waghorn as back up, Garner sitting just behind ready for any lose balls in the box, But I do think we need a clear out of certain players come January, top of the list would be Sears, Scuse, Chambers, they have run their course, we have younger players ready to fill their places, Oh and Mick can go ASAP clueless again, never seems to have a plan B

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Do you think Daniel Farke could get these players playing better, Ashford? Because I must say, Norwich didn't look anything special at all. In fact their goal was born from a Hoolahan hit and hope, (and a Chambers/Webster tea party complete with scones & blanket).

Genuinely don't know what Mick could've done more of today to get the result. Let's face it, Waghorn had three chances, McGoldrick went close a few times, Jonas off the post. To be honest, Norwich looked f**king clueless at the back.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm

marko69 wrote:Just saw extended highlights....... Kay Nood's shot off the post first half. Very unlucky indeed. And strong play pushing the defender off prior....... gone up a couple of notches in my book, Jonas.

Waghorn, with a bit more luck, could've been 3-0 Town before the puke yellow bstds scored.

I watched the game and think if David McGoldrick had been on song Town would have won convincingly , also what chance did Town have with that incompetent excuse of a ref, Completely out of the hands of Mick that result. Life Stinks,

was reading the Rossi verdict and actually wonder if Broomfield is in Norwich, with fans like that who needs enemies aye. :?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:55 pm

goldandblack wrote:I watched the game and think if David McGoldrick had been on song Town would have won convincingly.
Agreed.
goldandblack wrote:Completely out of the hands of Mick that result.
Agreed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Question. What play McGoldrick out wide for this game , when during his blinding run of hot form, He has been played CENTRALLY? He was ineffective played out wide on the wing. Just the same as Sears has been ruined , being played out wide , when he is ( or was ) far more effective on the shoulder of the last defender.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:23 pm

marko69 wrote:Do you think Daniel Farke could get these players playing better, Ashford? Because I must say, Norwich didn't look anything special at all. In fact their goal was born from a Hoolahan hit and hope, (and a Chambers/Webster tea party complete with scones & blanket).

Genuinely don't know what Mick could've done more of today to get the result. Let's face it, Waghorn had three chances, McGoldrick went close a few times, Jonas off the post. To be honest, Norwich looked f**king clueless at the back.
Farke off no, But Burley would :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm

goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:Just saw extended highlights....... Kay Nood's shot off the post first half. Very unlucky indeed. And strong play pushing the defender off prior....... gone up a couple of notches in my book, Jonas.

I watched the game and think if David McGoldrick had been on song Town would have won convincingly , also what chance did Town have with that incompetent excuse of a ref, Completely out of the hands of Mick that result. Life Stinks,

was reading the Rossi verdict and actually wonder if Broomfield is in Norwich, with fans like that who needs enemies aye. :?
:roll: G&B dead easy to give that opinion when your sat on top of the league, and spent countless millions doing so, but we have a tight arsed owner who has no intention whatsoever of spending out on quality players to get promotion, the way things are going investment wise, Ipswich will still be stuck here or in a lower league for another 10 years + unless we get a good buyer who wants success for Ipswich

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

ashfordblue wrote:......, But Burley would :D
Well, I think he probably would too, but (with Burley) only with his own set of players. So that'd be a re-build, and "gel" and fk that sh*t.

Season is only two months old. This current team still look like they've got something about them. A bit more leadership on the park and who knows.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Burley would not be the answer! This is the problem, we only think of people that have done it, the clubs that do well are the ones that think new

I would want a whole new approach, an up and coming manager who has the hunger and ambition to do well in this league, not someone who is tried and tested. It is a gamble, but whats the alternative? If we just keep treading water we will lose more and more fans to the point the investment would dry up even more and then where do we go?

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 pm

goldandblack wrote:

G&B, you don't know me at all; you have no idea how long I have been supporting ITFC or anything else.
So your remarks show you up to be - well, a bit of a prat to say the least.
I don't go on to the Wolves site and make ill-informed wildly inaccurate comments that question Wolves fans' loyalties - kindly show me the same courtesy.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:24 pm

rossi wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

G&B, you don't know me at all; you have no idea how long I have been supporting ITFC or anything else.
So your remarks show you up to be - well, a bit of a prat to say the least.
I don't go on to the Wolves site and make ill-informed wildly inaccurate comments that question Wolves fans' loyalties - kindly show me the same courtesy.
:lol:I'm surprised its taking you so long to bite mate, i used to live near Broomfield myself years ago ( Lt Waltham ) and have left loads of little jibs about your village since you put Broomfield under your avatar....all remarks were made in jest as you should have sussed over the last ten odd years that I don't make serious comments on anyone's opinions.
anyway hope you except it was jest.

I'll leave you a pint in the Kings Arms now its open again :? that's got yer thinking.
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:47 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

:roll: G&B dead easy to give that opinion when your sat on top of the league, and spent countless millions doing so, but we have a tight arsed owner who has no intention whatsoever of spending out on quality players to get promotion, the way things are going investment wise, Ipswich will still be stuck here or in a lower league for another 10 years + unless we get a good buyer who wants success for Ipswich
personally I would still prefer Mick to be still at the Wolves running the squad than this Agent loaning us these mercenaries that will be here short term, just to be sold on for a quick buck. I do fear at what the future holds when/if these owners pull the plug, Wolves have always been run to stay in the black,

We were stuck in this league for 19 yrs and we were saying exactly the same things, Ipswich Town are a very well run club with a top manager on board (Mick wouldn't still be there if it wasn't ) look at the clubs that have and still are dead in the water (Blackpool, Portsmouth, Bolton etc etc who' owners spent money they didn't have on a dream. without Mick you could easily be there now, not an easy situation to get out of.

the year Mick took us to the Premier the team was built on a shoestring of youth players from non league and the lower leagues but he had the luck that season not to have the injuries to key players your club has suffered in recent seasons.

Watching your derby game I thought you had the edge but with no luck at all. that's my opinion anyway.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 pm

G&B I get why you fight Mick's corner but if hes such a good manager why has he spent a few years building a team of square pegs in round holes? Aside from Huws we had a virtually fit squad yesterday, he has repeatedly said as soon as that happens people would be played in their proper positions. Theres no excuse for that, he just tries to pretend he is buying ambitious by playing attacking players, but if they are stifled in a system which exposes them what chance do they have. I remember Mick's team at Wolves and yes he did a good job, but hes just getting by with ITFC, I would argue hes not doing a good job for us anymore.

Could he do a decent job elsewhere? Perhaps, but I think he is now sh*t scared he cant, if he had any ambition at all he would look at the way we are run as a club in terms of finances etc and think I can do better than this. The truth is he cant, either nobody wants him or hes too scared he will fail. That's the way I read it, he likes to tell us how wonderful he is, but hes just another one from the old school bottle that are slowly drifting out of the game. You could argue Warnock and Bruce are the same but I think they at least try and play attacking football, certainly Bruce did at Hull and Warnock has at a few clubs. Id argue that Mick is a sh*t Tony Pulis, and that doesn't inspire much optimism.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:10 pm

G&B, I'm starting to think your Mick McCarthy is similar to my Bobby Robson? :lol: The golden years are gone mate! Or should I say the gold and black years are gone? :wink:

Congrats on being top of the league! I'd take top of the league with 11 loanees! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

charlton837 wrote:G&B I get why you fight Mick's corner but if hes such a good manager why has he spent a few years building a team of square pegs in round holes? Aside from Huws we had a virtually fit squad yesterday, he has repeatedly said as soon as that happens people would be played in their proper positions. Theres no excuse for that, he just tries to pretend he is buying ambitious by playing attacking players, but if they are stifled in a system which exposes them what chance do they have. I remember Mick's team at Wolves and yes he did a good job, but hes just getting by with ITFC, I would argue hes not doing a good job for us anymore.

Could he do a decent job elsewhere? Perhaps, but I think he is now sh*t scared he cant, if he had any ambition at all he would look at the way we are run as a club in terms of finances etc and think I can do better than this. The truth is he cant, either nobody wants him or hes too scared he will fail. That's the way I read it, he likes to tell us how wonderful he is, but hes just another one from the old school bottle that are slowly drifting out of the game. You could argue Warnock and Bruce are the same but I think they at least try and play attacking football, certainly Bruce did at Hull and Warnock has at a few clubs. Id argue that Mick is a sh*t Tony Pulis, and that doesn't inspire much optimism.

at Wolves he did what ex England managers Taylor and Hoddle couldn't do with fortunes spent.

at Millwall he got them promoted then criticised for not keeping them there. (without investment)
at Sunderland he got them in the premier then criticised for not keeping them there. (without investment)
at Ireland he got them to a World Cup finals.
at Wolves he got us in the premier, kept us there for 3 seasons on the lowest budget in that league,
at Ipswich he kept you up from a dead cert relegation.
at Ipswich he got you to the play off, spending next to nothing on players.

What a terrible manager as you say, its a wonder he ever got so many jobs.

just a small fact, when things were going pear shaped at the Wolves he turned down a job as an international Manager,

I think when Mick say's something I would tend to believe what he says myself,I shouldn't think he needs the job or the money.
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 pm

charlton837 wrote:I would want a whole new approach, an up and coming manager who has the hunger and ambition to do well in this league, not someone who is tried and tested. It is a gamble, but whats the alternative? If we just keep treading water we will lose more and more fans to the point the investment would dry up even more and then where do we go?
The alternative is NOT doing a Coventry City. There is a tried and tested manager at Portman Road at the moment who won't allow this club to be relegated. My opinion (and it's an opinion) would be that the fans f**king appreciate what they've got until the time comes when (as Mach Polish Blue has been saying for centuries) a new owner arrives. Mick will do what he's continuing to do ......, and as a tradesman, I'll use a tradesman analogy...... he'll continue to install gas central heating with a joiners tool bag. Those "tools" he brought in have the ability, they just need to start producing it.