Burton Albion vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to Winning Ways??

Burton Win
38%
Ipswich Win
38%
At least we didn't lose
23%

Total votes: 13

shamm

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shamm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Luke Varney on- hope he left his goal boots at home!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Like I say wtf is the point with Celina? Just send him back and let him go somewhere to play. I don't get why we brought him in. Its now got to the point that MM will never give him a run of games because fans will demand it. He's a stubborn b*stard.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Completely undeserved!! :lol:

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Point proven. Maybe fans do know something mick. Or would you just call it keyboard warriors? Tosser

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Celina 1-2 wooo

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:55 pm

Celina must start

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:56 pm

patthegimp wrote:Celina must start
Won't happen, his and McCarthy's relationship is a bit too broken I think, but for god sake swallow your pride and give him more than 6 minutes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Wtf have i just watched ? God knows how we won that game, woeful for most of it. CELINAAAAAAAAA

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:Wtf have i just watched ? God knows how we won that game, woeful for most of it. CELINAAAAAAAAA
Sounds like a bizarre afternoon Mike, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:Wtf have i just watched ? God knows how we won that game, woeful for most of it. CELINAAAAAAAAA
A win is a win..Good to get some points away from home :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I can think of a few other words besides woeful!
Mind you the Celina free-kick was worth the admission fee alone.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Micks after match comments are infuriating. He just winds fans up. Are we going to be like this for the rest of the season. Our club needs to grow a backbone, the moment you let a manger speak this way to fans you are going to lose them. Its fans v club and manager at the moment. Fans will support players but not much else.

Happy with 3 points but I'm fuming to be honest with everything else

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Relieved to see us pick up three valuable points but disappointed to read we played so poorly.

I must admit I was one of the many fans who was so excited when we won the race to sign Bersant Celina from Manchester City and expected to see him as a regular in the starting line up. Whenever he plays he always looks threatening and adds pace that many of our other players don’t have, has something happened behind the scenes that I’ve missed or is it simply that McCarthy doesn’t like him?

Whatever the reasons surely he’s done enough to deserve a place in the starting line up, after all with 4 goals scored at a rate of a goal every 117 minutes played he has one of the best scoring rates in the Championship bettered only by Norwich’s Nélson Oliveira, Derby’s Matej Vydra and our own Martyn Waghorn, not bad for a midfield player with a bit part role.

Come on Mick, for f*ck sake give the lad a chance, if you don’t you may find young players won’t want to come on loan to Portman Road in the future.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 pm

It's not often we take the points and I find myself pretty much disappointed with nearly everything ive seen today. A game against a struggling Burton side who can't score for toffee's seemed the perfect game for us to bounce back from the derby day defeat and while we eventually won the game there is little doubt we really didn't deserve to do so. With a strong wind blowing into the faces of the Town players we struggled to get into the game at all and it was Tweny minutes plus before we really even got close to their box, Burton on the other hand had been pressing and trying to create openings but again little was coming by way of chances. It must have been around the half Hour mark before we mustered our first effort on goal with Didsy seeing his shot saved after being put through b y the hard working Waghorn. From the next passage of play garner tried his luck but this time the effort sailed well over. Shortly after Burton had their best chance of the game so far, first Bart was called into action to block a shot from distance but again he spilled it into the path of an advancing striker, thankfully this time he redeemed himself in time to block the follow up, moments later Bart spread himself to block an even better chance as Dyer looked to put the hosts ahead. The poor half came to a close with first Didsy firing into the side netting and then the Burton striker putting a shot wide when clean through but albeit from a tight angle.

It really had been a p*ss poor game between Two woefully weak sides although Burton had by far the better of it they just lacked any quality at all, Towns Midfield had failed to create anything of note although Waghorn had caught the eye at times with his endless running and movement, Sears, Nydam and Skuse had not really been in the game while McGoldrick was nearer to our half than he was the Burton half for much of the time. At the back Webster had been in the right place at the right time a few times but even his distribution was nothing more than hoofing it away. Don't know if was just our imagination but there was a feel about the Town performance that something just wasn't right, there seemed little passion and at times interest, it just felt was an underlying issue other than what was on the pitch, hard to explain but several fans remarked upon it.

The second half could only improve and thankfully it did although still far from spectacular, especially from Town. The first few minutes were as you were with Burton coming forward but again creating little but Ten minutes into half we really should have gone ahead, Didsy bursting into the box after being set up by garner & Waghorn but just as he was about to pull the trigger a Burton defender got a foot in to flick the ball away, it would surely have been a goal. Even at this early stage it was evident that we were upping the tempo from the first half and the hunger seemed a bit more like it. It was Bart to the rescue with a good save minutes later as Burton looked to get back on top, not long after we fell behind from a header from Turner who rose to head home from a corner, the goal was instanlty greeted with jeers etc from the Town end as fans started to voice their displeasure at what we were seeing. What followed left me totally stunned and not just a little bit angry as MM decided to bring on Kevin Bru as our first sub !!! Now don't get me wrong as it turned out bru did ok to be fair but WTF was Mick thinking ? A player who he has openly stated has no future at the club, who has no squad number, who was told he wouldn't play for us again comes on instead of celina, Downes, Ward etc ? Absolute bullshit decision in my opinion, pretty fuming at the time and even though it worked out still angry now.

As the game entered the final quarter we somehow got ourselves back level, it was in fact Bru who curled a decent ball into the box, a defender half got it away before a Town player, not sure who steered it into the path of waghorn who fired home his Seventh of the season to the delight of the travelling fans behind that goal. It was barely deserved but welcomed all the same. Town started to get on top and were having by far their best period of the game, waghorn almost getting his second but putting the ball just wide of the post when a pass to Sears would probably have resulted in a certain goal. Next it was McGoldricks turn to fire a shot just wide but the omens were good that Town had finally come to the party. We had been singing Celina's name for some time and finally with time running out the on loan winger got his chance, it was a chance that was to change, and ultimately win the game for Town. Straight away he caused the Burton defence problems with his direct running at, one run across the edge of their box resulted in him being fouled and from the resultant freekick the kosovan curled a glorious shot into the bottom corner to win the game for Town, the fans went wild as did celina himself, his celebration spoke volumes about how frustrated he must be, the shirt was thrown into the crowd as evert Town player celebrated with him except for Chambers who stood in front of the Town fans punching the air like we had won the bloody cup, it was a moment of sheer joy on a afternoon that by and large had been woeful. Town still had a couple of chances to increase their lead with Waghorn & Celina trying their luck. The last 20 minutes really had been out of character with the rest of the game as we finally looked like we wanted it and were finally playing some football, the final whistle was greeted with massive cheers which was relief as much as anything as the points and the win was badly needed.

Is it papering over the cracks ? Quite possibly but whatever our thoughts on the manager etc we must always be pleased to win no matter what, Micks decisions today and after match comments do nothing to heal any rifts that may be resurfacing, to bring on a player he doesnt want anymore is just mind boggling, to keep Celina on the bench for so long again and then to basically have a pop at him in his post match interview beggars belief, to say he couldn't give a f*ck about what Town fans call for etc and that he is less likely to do it is downright stubborn beyond anything we have heard before, it comes across as though he couldn't give a toss if he stays or goes and that can't be good.

I never take too much notice of rumours from fans but a a couple of things we heard today is that Mick has supposedly told people at the club he is going to see how the next 4 or 5 games go and will make a decision, he is also supposed to have told the players this a few days before the Norwich game !!! Can that be true ?? If so its crap management. Celina is obviously all the talk at the moment with his cryptic Tweet but what is a fact is that he was seen and videoed etc on the town some weeks back pissed up and slating MM for not playing him and saying he is unhappy, the footage has been online and is there for all to see so maybe there is a reason that he has not been flavour of the month who knows ?? Either way it doesn't bode well going forward if all this stuff is still going on. For now though we should be pleased that we somehow got it together at the end to get the win, that says something about the boys I guess but let's not kid ourselves, Burton are crap and for Seventy minutes they were better than us.

Bart (6) Spence (5) Chambers (6) Webster (7) Knudsen (6) Nydam (5) Skuse (6) Sears (6) Didsy (6) Waghorn (7) Garner (6)

SUBS :- Bru (6) Ward (5) Celina (8)

Off to Cardiff Tuesday......I really can't wait :roll:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:Relieved to see us pick up three valuable points but disappointed to read we played so poorly.

I must admit I was one of the many fans who was so excited when we won the race to sign Bersant Celina from Manchester City and expected to see him as a regular in the starting line up. Whenever he plays he always looks threatening and adds pace that many of our other players don’t have, has something happened behind the scenes that I’ve missed or is it simply that McCarthy doesn’t like him?

Whatever the reasons surely he’s done enough to deserve a place in the starting line up, after all with 4 goals scored at a rate of a goal every 117 minutes played he has one of the best scoring rates in the Championship bettered only by Norwich’s Nélson Oliveira, Derby’s Matej Vydra and our own Martyn Waghorn, not bad for a midfield player with a bit part role.

Come on Mick, for f*ck sake give the lad a chance, if you don’t you may find young players won’t want to come on loan to Portman Road in the future.
Charny
What I can’t understand is people saying he is not a Mick McCarthy type player.
Well if that is the case why the f*** did he sign him on loan? Also it would mean that the person who did the scouting on him didn’t do their job very well.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:02 pm

I stopped listening to McCarthy's post match comments a long time ago, at the time he just kept supporting his team and saying things were ok, broken record, so I stopped listening. I decided to have a little look today after a couple of the comments, and good lord, what is that all about?! It sounds like a man riddled with depression thinking everything in the world is against him, he must be reading far far too much if he feels that way.

Town have some of the nicest, most patient fans in the country, is he so self centered that he thinks all those fans today traveled for 6 or 7 hours just to have a go at him and wind him up? I know he comes out and admits he's a 'belligerent f*ck', but he also prides himself on being professional and hard working; if one of his players came out with the kind of tripe he has, they'd be kept out of the team, or maybe just given 6 minutes to wind them up.

This club has been stagnant and losing supporters for a decade and a half, we have an owner who says f*ck all, does f*ck all and is investing f*ck all, that's the main thing that worries and pisses off the fans, not your inability to pick the right players and believe in them, that's a fairly minor annoyance in the whole grand scheme of things. Stop thinking everything said and done is about you, stop pretending that you don't care about restless fans when you clearly do, put your heart back in to the job or f*ck off and get some counselling.

Too harsh? :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Ricco wrote:I stopped listening to McCarthy's post match comments a long time ago, at the time he just kept supporting his team and saying things were ok, broken record, so I stopped listening. I decided to have a little look today after a couple of the comments, and good lord, what is that all about?! It sounds like a man riddled with depression thinking everything in the world is against him, he must be reading far far too much if he feels that way.

Town have some of the nicest, most patient fans in the country, is he so self centered that he thinks all those fans today traveled for 6 or 7 hours just to have a go at him and wind him up? I know he comes out and admits he's a 'belligerent f*ck', but he also prides himself on being professional and hard working; if one of his players came out with the kind of tripe he has, they'd be kept out of the team, or maybe just given 6 minutes to wind them up.

This club has been stagnant and losing supporters for a decade and a half, we have an owner who says f*ck all, does f*ck all and is investing f*ck all, that's the main thing that worries and pisses off the fans, not your inability to pick the right players and believe in them, that's a fairly minor annoyance in the whole grand scheme of things. Stop thinking everything said and done is about you, stop pretending that you don't care about restless fans when you clearly do, put your heart back in to the job or f*ck off and get some counselling.

Too harsh? :lol:
Nope spot on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:12 pm

I just listened to McCarthy’s post match interview on Football on 5 and thought what an arrogant unprofessional tw*t...... and then read Bluemike’s report including the comment about Celina’s behaviour which if true could explain McCarthy’s contempt towards him.

Clearly there’s a massive problem between player and Manager and unfortunately there can only be one winner and if Celina wants a future in the Premier League he’s certainly going to need to change his ways. This said I’m still extremely disappointed with McCarthys interview which showed a total disrespect to the fans whose support contributes towards his wages.

It will be interesting to see how McCarthy manages this situation which will be a good measure of his managerial ability.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 pm

The Celina story appears to be growing day by day. Mick is stubborn but not stupid is he? Surely it's time play him in a system that enhances his talents.

Mick says today's game was not right for Celina because it was a battle. Well the reason it was a battle was because we could not string three passes together against a team near the bottom. Celina can create time and space for himself by beating a player. This will cause defenders to drop off causing more space to play. If we have the ball then the opposition can not hurt us.

The question is why bring him here? Mick obviously thinks he is not as good as Lawrence or Fraser. I would imagine most championship teams would want him. Come on mick swallow your pride and give him a chance. He is clearly really talented and needs an environment to flourish.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:34 pm

MM quote regarding the tweet: “He’s factually correct, isn’t he? He’s a f—-ing brighter lad than I thought he was!"
:lol: Superb!

Thanks for the match report. Certainly sounded like a total endurance. But well worth it for the bounce at the end I'd imagine. Get in, ITFC!

My opinion regarding the entire post match interview…….., he doesn't give a flying fk anymore. He's lost interest and just going through the motions. A decent chairman would notice this.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:I just listened to McCarthy’s post match interview on Football on 5 and thought what an arrogant unprofessional tw*t...... and then read Bluemike’s report including the comment about Celina’s behaviour which if true could explain McCarthy’s contempt towards him.

Clearly there’s a massive problem between player and Manager and unfortunately there can only be one winner and if Celina wants a future in the Premier League he’s certainly going to need to change his ways. This said I’m still extremely disappointed with McCarthys interview which showed a total disrespect to the fans whose support contributes towards his wages.

It will be interesting to see how McCarthy manages this situation which will be a good measure of his managerial ability.
Well I'd say he's just managed it poorly, we could all read between the lines and know from early on that Celina wanted more game time and the relationship wasn't perfect, but now he's just made it public and added fuel to any rumors, what's more he's also attacked the fans over the issue too. He says he will never criticise his players in public, but he does throw a lot of thinly veiled jabs, which are nearly always worse.

I quote myself from the rumor mill talking about Celina the day he was signed...

"Is it just me that think he looks like a little sh*t and is probably too much trouble than its worth? Drink driving ban, a couple of petulant red cards and a personality screaming "give me attention, Im a rude boy and the worlds greatest player". Not a very McCarthy-esque player. Welcome Bersant, try smiling."

I hope he is worth the trouble, because it has the potential to divide the dressing room and sour the relationship between manager and fans.

Cheers for the write up by the way Mike, very enjoyable read as ever, even if there are lots of negatives to ponder.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Ando wrote: Mick says today's game was not right for Celina because it was a battle. Well the reason it was a battle was because we could not string three passes together against a team near the bottom. Celina can create time and space for himself by beating a player. This will cause defenders to drop off causing more space to play. If we have the ball then the opposition can not hurt us.
I thought exaclty that.
marko69 wrote:MM quote regarding the tweet: “He’s factually correct, isn’t he? He’s a f—-ing brighter lad than I thought he was!"
:lol: I did like that. Hardly extending an olive branch though is it?!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Ricco wrote::lol: I did like that. Hardly extending an olive branch though is it?!!

Certainly is not……., which makes it even funnier! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Ricco wrote:
Charnwood wrote:I just listened to McCarthy’s post match interview on Football on 5 and thought what an arrogant unprofessional tw*t...... and then read Bluemike’s report including the comment about Celina’s behaviour which if true could explain McCarthy’s contempt towards him.

Well I'd say he's just managed it poorly, we could all read between the lines and know from early on that Celina wanted more game time and the relationship wasn't perfect, but now he's just made it public and added fuel to any rumors, what's more he's also attacked the fans over the issue too. He says he will never criticise his players in public, but he does throw a lot of thinly veiled jabs, which are nearly always worse.

I quote myself from the rumor mill talking about Celina the day he was signed...

"Is it just me that think he looks like a little sh*t and is probably too much trouble than its worth? Drink driving ban, a couple of petulant red cards and a personality screaming "give me attention, Im a rude boy and the worlds greatest player". Not a very McCarthy-esque player. Welcome Bersant, try smiling."

I hope he is worth the trouble, because it has the potential to divide the dressing room and sour the relationship between manager and fans.

Cheers for the write up by the way Mike, very enjoyable read as ever, even if there are lots of negatives to ponder.

If Celina is a bag of sh*t pro and McCarthy can’t manage him we’d be far better off sending him back to Man City and using the money saved to bring in another young pro looking for an opportunity to get some game time. Clearly these players are around even tho we often won’t know who they are. Great example tonight being Kieron Dowell the 20yr old Everton player who scored a hat trick for his loan club Forest earlier this evening. If you read Mark Warburtons after match comments talking about the young lad he clearly behaves very differently to Bersant Celina.
Despite his obvious talent maybe young Celina wasn’t such a good acquisition after all cos one thing you don’t want in a football club is a bad apple who can contaminate other easily influenced youngsters.
Such a shame when the player is so naturally gifted.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:13 am

I also saw the interview on TV and thought what a stupid person MM was to comment as he did. What on earth did he think he was doing saying what he did? His words did nothing but damage to his cause and alienated him even more from fans who, as someone said, pay his wages.

Sorry, but I find him an embarassment to ITFC.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 am

Some stat this day claiming Burton Albion had not scored in five prior to today's meeting, lo and behold who provides them with a breakthrough. Not only that, but having taking in various analysis on what occurred we were indeed fortunate to come away with anything at all. Bottom line it's a Town victory, obviously pleased but relief would seem more apparent. Not the first time we come away with a barely deserving score, it won't be the last.

Why wasn't Celina utilized from the start, one of the teams best assets and needs to be featured more often than he does. Got Martin Waghorn as first scorer and in fairness the kid has proved a good acquisition but it needs more than two or three players to make a team. Came to life too late in the game but we got away with it, won't always happen but we'll take the points regardless. As a bonus there was a Norwich loss with Derby County, so easily could have taken a different path today but it worked out to some effectiveness by the end.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:29 am

barmy billy wrote:His words did nothing but damage to his cause and alienated him even more from fans
He doesn't give a sh!t anymore, Barmy. If the truth were known, he is probably enjoying winding everyone up. Being asked about the suggestions from the terraces, and answering that he might do the opposite……, clearly at the wind up. I tend to think being alienated doesn't bother him.

Ive since read a few articles about him tonight spanning over his career……., he certainly doesn't suffer fools gladly. The main incident being the Roy Keane/Ireland affair which he came away from looking the bigger person. Would never say that Celina is a tit as we really don't know……., but maybe he is! :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:42 am

marko69 wrote:
barmy billy wrote:His words did nothing but damage to his cause and alienated him even more from fans
He doesn't give a sh!t anymore, Barmy. If the truth were known, he is probably enjoying winding everyone up. Being asked about the suggestions from the terraces, and answering that he might do the opposite……, clearly at the wind up. I tend to think being alienated doesn't bother him.

Ive since read a few articles about him tonight spanning over his career……., he certainly doesn't suffer fools gladly. The main incident being the Roy Keane/Ireland affair which he came away from looking the bigger person. Would never say that Celina is a tit as we really don't know……., but maybe he is! :lol:
I think there is a good chance that Celina is a tit, but that still doesn't warrant MM's comments.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 am

The comments regarding Celina and the Town fans, (in Micks old, boring, "belligerent f*ck" head) are warranted because he's bored out his of belligerent skull……, taken the club as far as he can. Not giving a crap who he p!$$es off, IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 am

marko69 wrote:MM quote regarding the tweet: “He’s factually correct, isn’t he? He’s a f—-ing brighter lad than I thought he was!"

Thanks for the match report. Certainly sounded like a total endurance. But well worth it for the bounce at the end I'd imagine. Get in, ITFC!

My opinion regarding the entire post match interview…….., he doesn't give a flying fk anymore. He's lost interest and just going through the motions. A decent chairman would notice this.

Exactly marko !

The time has come for Evans to act and to sack McCarthy. He should have been sacked last season , if not before. His time at ITFC had come to an end. Let’s all move on!
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.