So what happens when MM goes.......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

So what happens when MM goes.......

Post by loudnproud » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:41 am

We have an owner who upon reflection does not appear to want to invest serious amounts of money into this football club like he did under keane,jewel ect. so any thoughts that his replacement is going to be a well thought of and tried and tested manager is just not going to happen........after all why? Why would an upbeat type of manager would want to come here and work under such conditions?

I believe this club needs to take a risk on a lower league performer who motorvates his players, not with money , but with pride and passion.........

Can we trust our owner who has very little experience to appoint such a person? Supporters like the majority of us may not be wealthy, but we do have a passion and are aware of most things related to football. Maybe a name with the right credentials just pop up.....

Names???

Ricco

Re: So what happens when MM goes.......

Post by Ricco » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm

loudnproud wrote:We have an owner who upon reflection does not appear to want to invest serious amounts of money into this football club like he did under keane,jewel ect. so any thoughts that his replacement is going to be a well thought of and tried and tested manager is just not going to happen........after all why? Why would an upbeat type of manager would want to come here and work under such conditions?

I believe this club needs to take a risk on a lower league performer who motorvates his players, not with money , but with pride and passion.........

Can we trust our owner who has very little experience to appoint such a person? Supporters like the majority of us may not be wealthy, but we do have a passion and are aware of most things related to football. Maybe a name with the right credentials just pop up.....

Names???
I doubt many on here follow the lower leagues enough to know which managers are worth their salt? I'd certainly rather take a gamble on a lower league youngster than pick up a championship level journeyman manager though, that's for sure.

I googled best lower league managers and the first list I look at (albeit posted in 2015) and Mick McCarthy sits there proudly at number 3 :lol: ...

"The Ipswich manager still has his detractors and admits to feeling sore at the negative judgements that followed
his spell at Wolves, who he’d kept in the Premier League for two seasons before his departure.

But nobody can work the Championship better than McCarthy, who is a far more nuanced individual than many
realise, and his current side proves the point. He has taken Ipswich from relegation fodder to promotion near-misses
within two-and-a-half seasons, spending just £110,000 on transfer fees and creating a side whose work-rate and
spirit are the envy of the division.

They can play football too, and if McCarthy can go one better next season and win a third promotion – to supplement
those achieved at Sunderland and Wolves – it will confirm the view that, while there may be better managers in the
division, there are no better managers for it."

Maybe after McCarthy, Evans may realise he needs to sh*t or get off the bog and might make a bit of investment and effort. Perhaps the next appointment might go badly and get Evans to want to sell. It's what I said about 10 years ago, maybe it would've been better if we dropped another division and come back, worst thing you can do is get comfortable, it's an entertainment business, if the same happens week in week out, year in year out, then before long you'll have a dried up fan base, so number one for a new manager is bring back passing on the deck and exciting football.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Dave what about these guys, Kevin Nolan seems to get some real effort out of his Notts County players, also I like Danny Cowley and his Brother at Lincoln City, Paul Hurst of Shrewsbury has had a big input since they were struggling a few seasons ago, Nathan Jones of Luton has had his team in and around the top of the league 2 for some time, Paul Cook of Wigan Athletic doing a good job, and if you want to go lower there is always Mr reliable Chris Kinnear of Dover Athletic, playing good solid footie always there or there about's near the top of National league.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:11 pm

the one thing we do have is a promising crop of youngsters coming through, this will be something worth considering for a potential manager. But I wouldn't want a "tried and tested" manager anyway, weve been there done that for the last 10 years, plus like you say im not sure we would attract anyone good enough. We have to look to someone lower down who is hungry and has ambition but needs to prove themselves.