So - if Mick does go

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Re: So - if Mick does go

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm absolutely amazed that so many on this forum are of the opinion that MM will be gone next May.

Maybe ME did want us to get in the Premiership when he bought us, but I think that 2 poor managers (his choice btw) wasting his money changed his ideas. I think that since then, he has decided that his business can still benefit hospitality-wise from having a football club in the Championship, plus of course the tax advantages his main business gets from it. He's not now prepared to risk any more of his money trying to advance the club, and as long as it stays in the Championship he's happy. So of course he needs a manager capable of doing that on a shoestring, and MM is probably the best there is.

For his part, I think MM realises that with his old-fashioned views on the game he's never going to be successful in the Prem, and is just happy to sit in a well paid cushy number with little interference from the owner and his only brief is not to get relegated.

So I expect that - in the New Year - ME will offer MM a contract extension and that MM will accept it.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:51 pm

rossi wrote:I'm absolutely amazed that so many on this forum are of the opinion that MM will be gone next May.

Maybe ME did want us to get in the Premiership when he bought us, but I think that 2 poor managers (his choice btw) wasting his money changed his ideas. I think that since then, he has decided that his business can still benefit hospitality-wise from having a football club in the Championship, plus of course the tax advantages his main business gets from it. He's not now prepared to risk any more of his money trying to advance the club, and as long as it stays in the Championship he's happy. So of course he needs a manager capable of doing that on a shoestring, and MM is probably the best there is.

For his part, I think MM realises that with his old-fashioned views on the game he's never going to be successful in the Prem, and is just happy to sit in a well paid cushy number with little interference from the owner and his only brief is not to get relegated.

So I expect that - in the New Year - ME will offer MM a contract extension and that MM will accept it.

Im afraid I agree Rossi,but I believe Mick will walk come may. He wont be sacked as Evans has no desire to reach the premier League,so long as he can write off loses against our club. Mick will never be fired as he maintains the status quo without really challenging and of course on an absolute shoestring. Im not suggestion going in for Neymar but i cant see any reason why we could´nt be really challenging year after year as we used to.

Im aware we are so close to the play offs but i for one cant see us in the top two come may and if im honest in the top eight to ten.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I have said consistently that there exists a ‘won’t resign/won’t sack’ agreement between ME and MM. But whilst that will almost certainly hold good until May, I’m not so sure it will continue thereafter. Whilst ME, for the financial/ambition reasons we reluctantly understand, might be keen to retain Mick’s services, if I was MM i’d be keeping my options open. He’s been pretty clear in stating exactly that recently, with the inference that come May he’ll be off.

With 5+ years at the helm, operating on a very restricted budget, his belief that he’s done well, and still carrying an ambition for future employment, I think staying here might not be his top priority.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm

rossi wrote:I'm absolutely amazed that so many on this forum are of the opinion that MM will be gone next May.

Whether it's reality or not, I think many fans are just anticipating what the next step will be for our beloved football club. Granted, MM will more than likely remain in charge until the end of the season...but how many season tickets is ME willing to sacrifice? I do think the next chapter of management may indeed be accelerated if we fall into the relegation zone. Only time will tell, I suppose. :roll:
Last edited by number 9 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

listening to his interview today I got the impression he would be happy if Sunderland came calling (god knows why!)

Cmon Sunderland you know you want to. Actually for what its worth I think MM could keep them up this season and do a reasonable job, its the sort of situation he does well in

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Agreed, Rossi..... hospitality-wise; Mevans is definitely benefitting.

And hospital-wise? Yes, a few ITFC fans (with their infighting) will be there if MM remains in charge.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:11 pm

charlton837 wrote:listening to his interview today I got the impression he would be happy if Sunderland came calling (god knows why!)

Cmon Sunderland you know you want to. Actually for what its worth I think MM could keep them up this season and do a reasonable job, its the sort of situation he does well in
Yep, they love McAffie.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm

If MM decides/has decided not to stay if offered a contract extension, let’s hope he tells ME in sufficient time to allow the search for his replacement to be conducted in an ‘under control’ manner in preparation for next season. It probably won’t be stated publicly, but hopefully ME will know how the cookie is likely to crumble, and MM can carry on playing the tease with us mushrooms!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 pm

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:37 pm

:D
marko69 wrote:Image

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:42 pm

herforder wrote:If MM decides/has decided not to stay if offered a contract extension, let’s hope he tells ME in sufficient time to allow the search for his replacement to be conducted in an ‘under control’ manner in preparation for next season. It probably won’t be stated publicly, but hopefully ME will know how the cookie is likely to crumble, and MM can carry on playing the tease with us mushrooms!

I think after McCarthy's comments today ref Sunderland, he gas left everybody in no doubt that he wanteds away from Town, but pig headed / stubborn as ever , he is trying to force Evans to pay him up and release him from hisbcontract or get Sunderland to pay it off for him.

Either way, to make a comment like that on the eve of Towns next home game , just how the hell are the players going to respond to that I wonder?