So - if Mick does go

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: So - if Mick does go

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 pm

I also think we need a foreign manager with a bit of flair. I praised Marco Silva's appointment at Hull, and a few of you on here said he'd be gone in a couple months. Well you were right, Hull were relegated and he was gone. But he's doing quite well at Watford now, isn't he? Of course, he likes to spend money also.

If only we could find a relatively young manager, with brilliant motivational skills...in addition to preaching and teaching the total-football concept. I wouldn't have said that last year with the players we had, but I do believe we have some talent now. Consequently, the talent is making MM's limitations even more apparent. The main problem is who would want to come here with the Evan's business plan?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:29 pm

I think we could sell the job on the basis that we really do have a good crop of youngsters coming through. Although I wouldn't beg anyone to come here, its got to be something they want. That's why I think someone who is young and hungry would be my preference over anyone who has been there and done it.

Its tough though, I don't pretend to have a large list of names!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm

I think you are right Charlton with a lower league option IF Mevans is staying for a while. Those managers who are doing well are doing it with limited cash to spend. Of course it's all relative to the opposition as well so maybe the Championship could be way too far out of their depth. Although Alex Neil at shitty Hamilton (who relegated Hibs) did get Norwich promoted. Ok he also got them relegated but he's proven himself in the Championship. (Moley bstd)

Pardew would need money. And (in my opinion) Pardew with money and Mick with money are the same thing. So no great advantage. And there won't be any money anyway....... Only advantage would be the clean slate as far as respecting the Ipswich fans is concerned. But that'll change also because Pardew is also a dickhead.

So yes, lower league appt, Charlton.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Danny Cowley, Lincoln City. Young, dynamic, effective at operating with limited resources! Might be a good fit here.

BUT, there’s currently no vacancy until May, at the earliest. MM won’t resign, ME won’t remove him. Another club coming in for MM might, however, be a game changer - in more ways than one. (Come on Sunderland, don’t hang around, he’ll soon be past his sell by date....)

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm

herforder wrote:Danny Cowley, Lincoln City. Young, dynamic, effective at operating with limited resources! Might be a good fit here.

BUT, there’s currently no vacancy until May, at the earliest. MM won’t resign, ME won’t remove him. Another club coming in for MM might, however, be a game changer - in more ways than one. (Come on Sunderland, don’t hang around, he’ll soon be past his sell by date....)
I must admit, my first tought was Sunderland. You never know!

I also agree that Danny Cowley [and his brother] would warrant serious consideration.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Don’t Lincoln tend to play hoof ball though ??

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:12 am

Alan Curbishley, he is also a big mate of Marcus Evans.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am

derick_ipsw wrote:Alan Curbishley, he is also a big mate of Marcus Evans.
Do you not think Curbishley has been out of the came for too long now, Derick?

Also, being a mate of Evans may not be a good thing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm

I’d rather have Burley back as Interim Manager for rest of the season then go after that Dutch guy we are still being linked with and he, apparently, is very keen to come here!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 pm

David Moyes

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:I’d rather have Burley back as Interim Manager for rest of the season then go after that Dutch guy we are still being linked with and he, apparently, is very keen to come here!
Psychometric test needed, then! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Personally I wouldnt want to see any ex Town players as manager

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:David Moyes
God no!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Ryan Giggs? Not an experienced manager but may have a point to prove, he said he doesn't mind if he managed a club even in league 2, for him its about the club philosophy, perhaps with a good crop of youngsters coming he may see an opportunity. He has a much better temperament than Roy Keane ever did but it would represent a risk that's for sure. Not sure Evans would go down that route after RK.

Other than that I cant think of many to be honest, like I say perhaps look at some good footballing sides in lower leagues and take a punt. Paul Cook? I wouldn't mind the cowleys, they have done a great job at Lincoln and Braintree before that albeit at a low level.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 pm

My Christmas Wishlist: :lol:

#1 Julian Nagelsmann - Hoffenheim

Without a shadow of a doubt the most exciting young manager in Europe, eyebrows were raised when the 29-year-old was handed the reins at Hoffenheim, but since his appointment back in February 2016, what he has achieved has been nothing short of remarkable. Hoffenheim, still a very young club, have been revitalised by the presence of Nagelsmann. Hoffenheim were on the brink of the relegation zone when he took charge, but seven wins from 14 games saw the club catapult out of danger. In 2016/2017, things were about to get even better. Hoffenheim were the last club in all of Europe's top five leagues to lose a game, going undefeated for the entirety of the first half of the season. There was not a single defeat at home in the Bundesliga across the course of the season either.

The reward for this was qualification for Europe, for the first time ever in club history, they made the Champions League play-off rounds. A German Coach of the Year prize followed for Nagelsmann to cap an incredible season.

#2 Marco Silva - Watford

Marco Silva couldn’t save Hull from relegation but is an exciting prospect nonetheless.
Everywhere he has gone, Marco Silva has produced stunning results. He had three extraordinary years at Estoril in Portugal, taking the club from the Portuguese 2nd Division to 5th and 4th respectively in their following seasons in the top division. He even landed the Portuguese minnows their first ever European placing. Success then followed at Sporting CP with a Portuguese Cup win and then a league triumph with Olympiacos in Greece. People were shocked by his switch to the Premier League but with Hull City looking dead and buried, he galvanised the club and although they eventually went down, it was Silva who restored hope.

Next season he will have more resources at Watford and could well be set for another stunning camping in what has been an impressive young career so far.

#3 Alexander Nouri - Werder Bremen

At the beginning of the 2016/2017 Bundesliga season, Werder Bremen arrived off the back of a 13th place finish - only two points off the relegation play-off spots. Then, three games into the new season, manager Viktor Skrypnyk was sent packing after losing three games. Up stepped 37-year-old Alexander Nouri to the plate, and since then Werder have not looked back. With Nouri at the helm, Werder fired at the other end of the table and mixed it with the European-chasing pack as opposed to dwelling with those close to relegation. A perfect mix of astute transfer business and tactical nous from Nouri has been vital, and on the back of his performance, he was awarded a long-term deal with the club. Only Red Bull Leipzig, Bayern Munich, Hoffenheim, and Borussia Dortmund have earned more points than Bremen since Nouri’s arrival.

The next campaign – with a full pre-season behind him – could well witness some more magic.

#4 Marcelo Gallardo - River Plate

Marcelo Gallardo’s confidence has filtered through his time at River Plate. The most successful manager in River Plate’s history on the international stage - and that’s something given their extraordinary history. A legend at the club in his playing days, he would return after one year with Nacional in Uruguay where he won a league title in his only season in charge. His confidence and calculated methods would eventually be brought back to Argentina and with River, where he has not looked back.
Gallardo has particularly excelled on the International stage, bringing home the Copa Sudamericana once and then two Recopa Sudamericana titles. The Copa Libertadores win in 2015 was undoubtedly his crowing moment however and his methods have proved revolutionary.

Europe no doubt beckons for the coach.

#5 Simone Inzaghi - Lazio

Simone Inzaghi spoke of trust after taking over Lazio in 2016, insisting that the club were doing the right thing in putting him in charge. Fast forward to summer 2017, and Lazio will play Europa League football next season with Inzaghi being handed a new three-year deal to stay with the club. It’s quite the turnaround for the Rome giants, and for Inzaghi who was merely a stop gap option at the club. He stepped in as a caretaker and despite success, was ousted by Marcelo Bielsa. When the fiery former Chile coach walked out, it was Inzaghi who was called upon with just a month to go before the start of the season.
Now he’s a bonafide rising star in the managerial game and a 5th place finish in 2016/2017 was no easy achievement.
Inzaghi switches his side between 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 seamlessly, and his starting XI is lethal on the counter whilst being keenly aware of its defensive duties.

It’s not bad at all from the man Lazio didn’t really want.

SOURCE: http://WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:09 pm

number 9 wrote:My Christmas Wishlist: :lol:

Without a shadow of a doubt the most exciting young manager in Europe, eyebrows were raised when the 29-year-old was handed the reins at Hoffenheim, but since his appointment back in February 2016, what he has achieved has been nothing short of remarkable. Hoffenheim, still a very young club, have been revitalised by the presence of Nagelsmann. Hoffenheim were on the brink of the relegation zone when he took charge, but seven wins from 14 games saw the club catapult out of danger. In 2016/2017, things were about to get even better. Hoffenheim were the last club in all of Europe's top five leagues to lose a game, going undefeated for the entirety of the first half of the season. There was not a single defeat at home in the Bundesliga across the course of the season either.

The reward for this was qualification for Europe, for the first time ever in club history, they made the Champions League play-off rounds. A German Coach of the Year prize followed for Nagelsmann to cap an incredible season.

#2 Marco Silva - Watford

Marco Silva couldn’t save Hull from relegation but is an exciting prospect nonetheless.
Everywhere he has gone, Marco Silva has produced stunning results. He had three extraordinary years at Estoril in Portugal, taking the club from the Portuguese 2nd Division to 5th and 4th respectively in their following seasons in the top division. He even landed the Portuguese minnows their first ever European placing. Success then followed at Sporting CP with a Portuguese Cup win and then a league triumph with Olympiacos in Greece. People were shocked by his switch to the Premier League but with Hull City looking dead and buried, he galvanised the club and although they eventually went down, it was Silva who restored hope.

Next season he will have more resources at Watford and could well be set for another stunning camping in what has been an impressive young career so far.

At the beginning of the 2016/2017 Bundesliga season, Werder Bremen arrived off the back of a 13th place finish - only two points off the relegation play-off spots. Then, three games into the new season, manager Viktor Skrypnyk was sent packing after losing three games. Up stepped 37-year-old Alexander Nouri to the plate, and since then Werder have not looked back. With Nouri at the helm, Werder fired at the other end of the table and mixed it with the European-chasing pack as opposed to dwelling with those close to relegation. A perfect mix of astute transfer business and tactical nous from Nouri has been vital, and on the back of his performance, he was awarded a long-term deal with the club. Only Red Bull Leipzig, Bayern Munich, Hoffenheim, and Borussia Dortmund have earned more points than Bremen since Nouri’s arrival.

The next campaign – with a full pre-season behind him – could well witness some more magic.

Marcelo Gallardo’s confidence has filtered through his time at River Plate. The most successful manager in River Plate’s history on the international stage - and that’s something given their extraordinary history. A legend at the club in his playing days, he would return after one year with Nacional in Uruguay where he won a league title in his only season in charge. His confidence and calculated methods would eventually be brought back to Argentina and with River, where he has not looked back.
Gallardo has particularly excelled on the International stage, bringing home the Copa Sudamericana once and then two Recopa Sudamericana titles. The Copa Libertadores win in 2015 was undoubtedly his crowing moment however and his methods have proved revolutionary.

Simone Inzaghi spoke of trust after taking over Lazio in 2016, insisting that the club were doing the right thing in putting him in charge. Fast forward to summer 2017, and Lazio will play Europa League football next season with Inzaghi being handed a new three-year deal to stay with the club. It’s quite the turnaround for the Rome giants, and for Inzaghi who was merely a stop gap option at the club. He stepped in as a caretaker and despite success, was ousted by Marcelo Bielsa. When the fiery former Chile coach walked out, it was Inzaghi who was called upon with just a month to go before the start of the season.
Now he’s a bonafide rising star in the managerial game and a 5th place finish in 2016/2017 was no easy achievement.
Inzaghi switches his side between 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 seamlessly, and his starting XI is lethal on the counter whilst being keenly aware of its defensive duties.

You have clearly done a lot of research, but what resouces have these managers been given to work with? I think someone coming into ITFC has to be aware (unless of course Evans has a change of heart) that he will be given very little money to splash around.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 pm

Exactly Billy and this is one of the biggest factors in me staying on side with MM for so long, unfortunately it's gone beyond that now.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:Exactly Billy and this is one of the biggest factors in me staying on side with MM for so long, unfortunately it's gone beyond that now.
At last you have seen the light :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Exactly Billy and this is one of the biggest factors in me staying on side with MM for so long, unfortunately it's gone beyond that now.
At last you have seen the light :D
Yes but it is easy to see nothing but dark way to prematurely too, eventually an eternal doubter will always be right.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm

barmy billy wrote:
number 9 wrote:My Christmas Wishlist: :lol:

#2 Marco Silva - Watford

You have clearly done a lot of research, but what resouces have these managers been given to work with? I think someone coming into ITFC has to be aware (unless of course Evans has a change of heart) that he will be given very little money to splash around.
Yeah I know BB...just wishful thinking. :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 pm

When that time does come for ME to find MM’s successor, I wonder how attractive ITFC remains? I recall Ian Holloway once saying he would have walked here to take the job, so keen was he. (Pity he missed out)!

The Club’s history and high-standing reputation carried huge weight, making it very attractive to any number of applicants eager to be our manager. (Selection of the right ones is another issue altogether). But, given all that’s occurred during ME’s owneship; the likely financial constraints; a knowledgeable (mostly) and demanding supporters’ base etc, are we still as attractive to potential candidates? Has the club’s standing under ME been diminished, making it difficult to attract the best available talent - albeit ME will undoubtedly offer an attractive salary.

If it’s the latter, then it might be equally difficult to appoint a proven - at this level or higher - individual; or equally persuade a lower level manager to risk it with us. Just random musings!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:14 pm

To be honest I live in complete fear of who Marcus Evans will bring in next, it’s certainly most likely not to be anyone ambitious else they’d stay well clear.

As i’ve said before i’d Much prefer to see the back of Evans before McCarthy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:I’d rather have Burley back as Interim Manager for rest of the season then go after that Dutch guy we are still being linked with and he, apparently, is very keen to come here!

Please no Liz, that would be a complete disaster.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:40 am

Genuine question to anyone who knows....... managers who've left, but gone back -----> Does it usually end badly?

I suppose most, if not all managerial appointments end on bad terms. Very few leave a club on a high.

What exactly is it about George Burley that would make it a disasterous appointment for ITFC? As I said, genuine question.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 am

marko69 wrote:Genuine question to anyone who knows....... managers who've left, but gone back -----> Does it usually end badly?

I suppose most, if not all managerial appointments end on bad terms. Very few leave a club on a high.

What exactly is it about George Burley that would make it a disasterous appointment for ITFC? As I said, genuine question.

I think you’ll find he has a serious drink problem which was rumoured to be the reason why he was sacked by his former employer Apollon Limassol FC after a few weeks in the job back in 2012, and hasn’t been employed since. Never smoke without fire and I think we should give the fella a wide berth.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:19 am

Not good at all. What a shame. Had a lot of time for Burley. Will try and find more on this.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 am

marko69 wrote:Not good at all. What a shame. Had a lot of time for Burley. Will try and find more on this.

Whilst I wouldn’t want to paste too much bad news about GB on here it would be informative to know the truth. However if you dig deep I think you’ll find the demon drink has popped up before as an issue in his managerial career.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:Genuine question to anyone who knows....... managers who've left, but gone back -----> Does it usually end badly?

I think you’ll find he has a serious drink problem which was rumoured to be the reason why he was sacked by his former employer Apollon Limassol FC after a few weeks in the job back in 2012, and hasn’t been employed since. Never smoke without fire and I think we should give the fella a wide berth.
Im fairly sure this is true, think hes had a problem for quite some time. Whether or not hes an out and out alcoholic or just a heavy drinker im not sure, think Jim Magilton was in a similar vein!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am

I did think he was looking a bit rosy cheeked at Shitecastle years ago. Just thought it was the chemicals in the water that make all Jambos look like f**king aliens.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:26 pm

I hope he's in bloody yates before the game tomorrow then.... his round