Micks press conference today

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

charlton837

Micks press conference today

Post by charlton837 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Did anyone see his comments from today, apologises for all the swearing but not for what he said, he meant every word. And that we should be careful for what we wish for as new manager wont get £20m. After apologizing he said something like funny how easily they get offended after giving it out to me for 90 mins. He also believes its "only a vocal few"

I really don't get all this, he can never stop fuelling a divide, I would also suggest that the swearing bit offended many who were not vocal against him at Burton, I wasn't particularly bothered about the swearing, its how it was aimed that pissed me off. The same old thing about they wont drive me out, this can only end one way, he virtually says this will be his last season and he will then get another job, with this being the case what is there to be achieved by all sides with this circus carrying on?

If its down to money can they not just pay him up to the end of the season and look to get a replacement in? and from Micks point of view could he not just leave and say hes done the best he can with limited resources but now feels the right time to part ways and start afresh all round? Is 3/4 of a season of infighting, them v us and slagging each other off week after week going to be helpful/nice for anyone? I just don't get it.

I sort of understand from the clubs point of view why they wanted to hold on last season if they really felt this could be turned around, but clearly it hasn't and MM isn't in the mood to "win the hearts and minds", hes going to argue and tussell with all of us because he wants to look like the better person for his next job. To me this is just a waste of a season and could potentially be very damaging, by saying nothing and allowing him to batter fans this way Evans doesn't come out smelling of roses.....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Micks press conference today

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:30 pm

He also said the negative chants and booing will start to affect the players and help no-one, something i repeatedly said last season, its common sense. If people must do it wait till the final whistle.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:He also said the negative chants and booing will start to affect the players and help no-one, something i repeatedly said last season, its common sense. If people must do it wait till the final whistle.
yes you and he have a point, I think the emotion gets to people and they already feel they are not being heard. I guess they think how can we be heard and noticed, quite clearly last season it all fell on deaf ears. So whilst I agree completely with what you say I think the only way in reality this can happen is if the club take action and take that choice away from MM.

I get why MM is fighting his corner btw, he wants another job after this and he feels like he is being mistreated, he is part of the problem but doesn't see it that way himself. Bad management from the top to allow this situation, you cant have a manager being a complete dictator, it doesn't work in society and it doesn't work in football. Just seems like the right time to part ways, and he would even get to point out he left in us a decent league position, doesn't tell the full story but from the outside it looks good.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I think MM’s comments today say everything about his relationship with ME; accountable yes, but with a massive amount of freedom and autonomy (ie power), a very good salary for operating on a very modest budget, where ‘marking time’ in the Cship might be as good as it’s ever likely to get, where supporters should be careful what they wish for. (Priceless MM!)

We should be grateful to have his services and, if we’re not grateful enough, he might be off come May. So, come on you highly valued supporters, make clear what you really, really want. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 pm

There's no way back now for Mick McCarthy, and he may have apologised for swearing , but he certainly doesn't mean it one iota. He has no dignity and is stubborn and arrogant beyond belief. I don't care how good he is working to sod all budget. He is driving Town fans away from this Club with his mind numbingly BORING, archaic football. There's more fun watching paint dry, frankly! And I'm sick and tired of watching him play players out of their normal positions, in some cases ruining that players natural game.

If he's supposedly not affected by a few fans chants , then why is he responding the way he is doing? It's bullshyte from him tbh.

What we do know is , he is DEFINITELY leaving in May , and hopefully before that date. But that's down to Evans to sort.

As for the funding for any future manager or McCarthy himself, if Evans isn't that bothered about funding to a reaslistic level , then he himself must be prepared for the continued loss of fans base.

Would having more funds made available to him by a Evans, have led to McCarthy deploying different tactics / formations ? Not and hope in hell, IMO.

He only knows one way. Defend , match up opposition tactics, spoil, ultra defensive first and foremost...attack as a first option? Never. Play the game on the ground pass and move ? Rarely. Play the game of numbers , hoof and put the opponents on the back foot ? Match them up , physically man for man , to win the battles ? Always . Make a battle of it ? Always.

A leopard never changes his spots.

It's time for change.

Does Mick McCarthy feel hard done by? You bet.
Does he think we are lucky to have him? You bet.
Does he think he's better than he actually is? You bet.
Does he think his way is right? You bet
Does he think we are all ignorant about the game? You bet .

I'm BORED of Mick McCarthy and his predictable, boring, negative football and I personally feel he is tactically inept and now behind the times.

I won't miss him,and it's in Ipswich Town's interest to bin him NOW. He is the rooten apple in the barrel now. He is the negative influence at the Club, not the fans.

Evans needs to,act now. At any other Club or in any line of employment, McCarthy would have been sacked long ago.

Evans sack him now and get his replacement in now in time for January. That way the new man has a chance to make his own judgements about the squad, and play some decent football to get the fans back.

To keep McCarthy until May in situ would be utter folly!
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:25 pm

herforder wrote:I think MM’s comments today say everything about his relationship with ME; accountable yes, but with a massive amount of freedom and autonomy (ie power), a very good salary for operating on a very modest budget, where ‘marking time’ in the Cship might be as good as it’s ever likely to get, where supporters should be careful what they wish for. (Priceless MM!)

We should be grateful to have his services and, if we’re not grateful enough, he might be off come May. So, come on you highly valued supporters, make clear what you really, really want. :wink:
Get rid of the arrogant tw@t. Sooner rather than later. We deserve the chance of better.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:There's no way back now for Mick McCarthy, and he may have apologised for swearing , but he certainly doesn't mean it one iota. He has no dignity and is stubborn and arrogant beyond belief. I don't care how good he is working to sod all budget. He is driving Town fans away from this Club with his mind numbingly BORING, archaic football. There's more fun watching paint dry, frankly! And I'm sick and tired of watching him play players out of their normal positions, in some cases ruining that players natural game.

If he's supposedly not affected by a few fans chants , then why is he responding the way he is doing? It's bullshyte from him tbh.

What we do know is , he is DEFINITELY leaving in May , and hopefully before that date. But that's down to Evans to sort.

As for the funding for any future manager or McCarthy himself, if Evans isn't that bothered about funding to a reaslistic level , then he himself must be prepared for the continued loss of fans base.

Would having more funds made available to him by a Evans, have led to McCarthy deploying different tactics / formations ? Not and hope in hell, IMO.

He only knows one way. Defend , match up opposition tactics, spoil, ultra defensive first and foremost...attack as a first option? Never. Play the game on the ground pass and move ? Rarely. Play the game of numbers , hoof and put the opponents on the back foot ? Match them up , physically man for man , to win the battles ? Always . Make a battle of it ? Always.

A leopard never changes his spots.

It's time for change.

Does Mick McCarthy feel hard done by? You bet.
Does he think we are lucky to have him? You bet.
Does he think he's better than he actually is? You bet.
Does he think his way is right? You bet
Does he think we are all ignorant about the game? You bet .

I'm BORED of Mick McCarthy and his predictable, boring, negative football and I personally feel he is tactically inept and now behind the times.

I won't miss him,and it's in Ipswich Town's interest to bin him NOW. He is the rooten apple in the barrel now. He is the negative influence at the Club, not the fans.

Evans needs to,act now. At any other Club or in any line of employment, McCarthy would have been sacked long ago.

Evans sack him now and get his replacement in now in time for January. That way the new man has a chance to make his own judgements about the squad, and play some decent football to get the fans back.

To keep McCarthy until May in situ would be utter folly!
Heartfelt, passionate comments. Thinking further about MM’s comments and generally belligerent attitude, makes me conclude that MM and ME have reached a mutually convienient agreement whereby MM has assured ME that he’ll see out his contract; whilst ME has given his assurance that, whatever happens regarding results, he will not remove MM. Such an agreement would suit both parties - supporters being only a secondary consideration.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Unless of course he does deliver a successful season

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Yes, of course! Will be interesting to see how things look at the beginning of December.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 am

Even bet there's been more in the way of profanities towards McCarthy from fans than vice versa. And what, an apology for inappropriate language : needs to apologize for the majority of his five year tenure if anything, which entails all manner of things from embarrassment to outrage.

Elizabeth put it herself and no need to elaborate further. Sure the manager has his defense in some supporters and those willing to accept the issue of lack of funds for example, but the bigger picture dictates this is someone who has outstayed a welcome and has reached a plateau with predecessors including Roy Keane and Jewell. Won't include Magilton in it as I actually possess an amount of respect for the name, not so with the aforementioned individuals.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:47 am

Bluemike wrote:Unless of course he does deliver a successful season
To be honest mike in not even sure that would wash. I cant sit here and tolerate being treated the way MM is treating us. Even if he gt us fighting towards the playoffs (doubtful) his bridges are well and truly burnt for me. There's no excuse for some of the things he has said and done in the last 12-18 month's, the dwindling attendences show that. Remember even after the season we finished 7th we lost a lot of ST holders, and its down to MM

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 am

I tend to agree, as i said in my report after the Burton game, he lost a large part of me because of his comments etc and when you start to lose the ones that by and large have been supportive then you have big problems. That said fans by nature are very fickle and there will be those that chop and change their stance based on each and every result and trust me that is certain.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:54 am

Bluemike wrote:He also said the negative chants and booing will start to affect the players and help no-one, something i repeatedly said last season, its common sense. If people must do it wait till the final whistle.
Only if the chanting is aimed at the players.......Its being aimed at the manager perhaps the players agree......Our manager is an egotistical egg head

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 pm

The killer will be when the chanting - however ill-judged or timed - stops, and is replaced by apathy. Apathy caused by a reclusive owner, whose motives and ambition for the club are unclear; a manager whose beligerant attitude towards supporters, team selections and defesively minded tactics increasingly take their toll on even the most loyal and optimistic supporters; and a feeling that the special bond between club and it’s life-blood support is becoming increasingly eroded. Taken together - a potentially fatal cocktail. Let’s sincerely hope those with the responsibility for recognising some of this act to avoid it becoming reality.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

herforder wrote:The killer will be when the chanting - however ill-judged or timed - stops, and is replaced by apathy. Apathy caused by a reclusive owner, whose motives and ambition for the club are unclear; a manager whose beligerant attitude towards supporters, team selections and defesively minded tactics increasingly take their toll on even the most loyal and optimistic supporters; and a feeling that the special bond between club and it’s life-blood support is becoming increasingly eroded. Taken together - a potentially fatal cocktail. Let’s sincerely hope those with the responsibility for recognising some of this act to avoid it becoming reality.
Very good point! I think to some extent that kind of apathy has been reached, I think there is a vocal set of disgruntled fans who make their feelings known and there are also a silent section who cant be bothered to muster up the effort to try and change something they never feel will change (whether that be aimed at MM or the ownership model we have) I definitely feel apathy took hold through last season and even the one before that.

I want the manager to leave, but I feel all round 75% of the blame is solely at the owners door, he has allowed us to reach this situation. The thousands of ST leaving should have been warning enough, and before that the bitterness between MM and the fans last season and the whole Jonathon Douglas saga which was handled appallingly by MM who refused to admit he was wrong. The owner should have taken any of these warning signs and acted (at the latest by end of last season). I still maintain MM should have gone around the time of the Lincoln game.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Oh and MM truly believes those silent people back him 100%, I think if he took his head out of his as* and looked properly he might realize hes not welcome here anymore. I will leave you with a quote from our very own manager last season in April time;

Ive told you, do not want to be sat here at the start of next season thinking theres only been so many thousand season tickets sold, theres apathy around the place. I don't want that, I don't want to be here under those circumstances because I want to be here where people are enjoying their football and supportive of the players, supportive of me and were back where we were 12 months, 18 months ago, it was brilliant. Its not been great, its not been easy, its not been nice, that's for all of us. So id like for the club to be back in that position and then I can enjoy it more

What a total pack of lies that was, he was basically trying to scare us fans in to thinking he might actually leave unless we start being nice to him again, well MM you should have just done everyone a favour and packed your bags, hes been shown to be a liar yet again

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:32 pm

charlton837 wrote:
herforder wrote:The killer will be when the chanting - however ill-judged or timed - stops, and is replaced by apathy. Apathy caused by a reclusive owner, whose motives and ambition for the club are unclear; a manager whose beligerant attitude towards supporters, team selections and defesively minded tactics increasingly take their toll on even the most loyal and optimistic supporters; and a feeling that the special bond between club and it’s life-blood support is becoming increasingly eroded. Taken together - a potentially fatal cocktail. Let’s sincerely hope those with the responsibility for recognising some of this act to avoid it becoming reality.
Very good point! I think to some extent that kind of apathy has been reached, I think there is a vocal set of disgruntled fans who make their feelings known and there are also a silent section who cant be bothered to muster up the effort to try and change something they never feel will change (whether that be aimed at MM or the ownership model we have) I definitely feel apathy took hold through last season and even the one before that.

I want the manager to leave, but I feel all round 75% of the blame is solely at the owners door, he has allowed us to reach this situation. The thousands of ST leaving should have been warning enough, and before that the bitterness between MM and the fans last season and the whole Jonathon Douglas saga which was handled appallingly by MM who refused to admit he was wrong. The owner should have taken any of these warning signs and acted (at the latest by end of last season). I still maintain MM should have gone around the time of the Lincoln game.

I love you two guys . You speak of the same mind that I am, and I thank you for making me feel that I am not alone in how I feel about Evans and McCarthy.

How the hell has our great Club been allowed to sink to this level, and yet for some reason many point the finger at us fans as being the " problem". - really???

ITFC should have seen the warning signs and heard the alarms bells ringing years ago , not just over the last two seasons. THOUSANDS of once loyal Town fans have simply walked away , no longer able to stomach what's been going on at Portman Road under Evans, any longer. The Club is a mere shadow of the Club it once was. What a tragic shame we have come to this , under Evans!

I want Evans and McCarthy BOTH gone. As for this careful what you wish for crap. I'll take my chances, cos existing under this pitiful regime is something even I can't see myself continuing indefinitely.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Here here! Well said in the above posts.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 pm

There should be a line drawn here somewhere between discontent between unhappiness towards current manager/owner and "demise of the club"!!! What f**king demise? Jaysus H Christ on a popsicle stick! What a MASSIVE pile of Shyte. There is no demise. The manager is being a total d*ck, yes, ..... the owner couldn't give a Shyte, but since 2012, the stability of Ipswich Town FC has never been more stable. Ok, it's boring Shyte, and some may regard it as no ambition with stagnation in the Championship...... but there is no demise.

IF MM quits and the new guy guides the club to the EPL, then great...... but if the new guy is a Jewell type, then let's talk "demise".

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:29 pm

charlton837 wrote:Oh and MM truly believes those silent people back him 100%, I think if he took his head out of his as* and looked properly he might realize hes not welcome here anymore. I will leave you with a quote from our very own manager last season in April time;

Ive told you, do not want to be sat here at the start of next season thinking theres only been so many thousand season tickets sold, theres apathy around the place. I don't want that, I don't want to be here under those circumstances because I want to be here where people are enjoying their football and supportive of the players, supportive of me and were back where we were 12 months, 18 months ago, it was brilliant. Its not been great, its not been easy, its not been nice, that's for all of us. So id like for the club to be back in that position and then I can enjoy it more

What a total pack of lies that was, he was basically trying to scare us fans in to thinking he might actually leave unless we start being nice to him again, well MM you should have just done everyone a favour and packed your bags, hes been shown to be a liar yet again
Wasn't that right around the time season tickets went on sale?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm

marko69 wrote:There should be a line drawn here somewhere between discontent between unhappiness towards current manager/owner and "demise of the club"!!! What f**king demise? Jaysus H Christ on a popsicle stick! What a MASSIVE pile of Shyte. There is no demise. The manager is being a total d*ck, yes, ..... the owner couldn't give a Shyte, but since 2012, the stability of Ipswich Town FC has never been more stable. Ok, it's boring Shyte, and some may regard it as no ambition with stagnation in the Championship...... but there is no demise.

IF MM quits and the new guy guides the club to the EPL, then great...... but if the new guy is a Jewell type, then let's talk "demise".
Sort of agree with you here Marko HOWEVER I do also understand why people are seeing it as some kind of demise. Let me explain;

Over the past few years we have lost a lot of our supporters, and many of these are not floating fans who come and go, there were numerous people who had been ST holders for 30, 40, 50 years, they have seen very good times and some bad times too but they clearly feel this is the worst and it has tipped them over the edge to give up to some extent. I remember hearing a real heartfelt call on radio Suffolk end of last season, a gentleman who was an older chap and had a ST for roughly 60 years, he had a lump in his throat that this was his last game as a ST holder, he never imagined giving it up but feels he is no longer part of a community club, feels the club no longer respect its supporters and he had made the big decision to give it up. It was nothing to do with money (although upping the ST prices showed further disdain towards fans) it was about the connection, he said it felt like a bad divorce and you could hear he was emotional. He was one of a number like this and its incredibly sad to see/hear. That would show some kind of demise, this is more than simply a few years of mediocrity, its a connection that has been lost between the club and its lifeblood, the supporters. It is becoming more and more strained with the last 1-2 seasons and the way our manager likes to put us down more and more, the fact the owner lets this happen really does show how little he values us, and daring to increase prices of ST following last season was one step too far for many.

The fact that for 3 seasons running we have lost significant numbers of ST holders does show a demise, a club can get through bad times, it can come together and come back stronger, the fact that supporters no longer feel this can make any difference or help shows we have big problems, much bigger than a few more mediocre years. Many of these very long term fans who gave up will not come back just because things change for the better, like I say they were core fans not floating fans and the way they have been treated is nothing sort of despicable. So forget the on the pitch stuff, forget the behind the scenes stuff, forget the budget we work off, forget our league position, we have much bigger problems than this.

On paper we are not in a demise, but look at the figures that matter and they suggest otherwise, name one other club that would allow their manager to drive thousands of fans away and even insult the ones that do still continue coming

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 pm

number 9 wrote:
charlton837 wrote:Oh and MM truly believes those silent people back him 100%, I think if he took his head out of his as* and looked properly he might realize hes not welcome here anymore. I will leave you with a quote from our very own manager last season in April time;

Wasn't that right around the time season tickets went on sale?

I think so, definitely around that time, it was also during the time he was under big pressure and was hinting he was going to leave. My big worry is the club might offer him that extension for another 2 years, MM is making out we shouldn't assume he would agree to it but I really think he would. He said the same things last season. But between now and May seems like one big waste of time, we may aswell just fast forward and see what happens. Im not sure I could accept another year as a ST if a change isn't made, I was extremely close to giving it up last season but I had hoped for a lot of change in the playing staff, whilst that kind of did happen we are still stuck with the same issues

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

I don't think there's a hope n hell McCarthy will be here next season Charlton, the question is, will he be here past Xmas? I hope not.