Ipswich Town vs Preston NE Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bounce back from the Wales trip?

Ipswich Win
58%
Preston Win
33%
Got something at least
8%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Preston NE Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Preston North End Image

Saturday 4th November 2017 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

The less said about the debacle at Cardiff the better, i've already made my feelings known after the game as to where I stand now and unfortunately it is all change for me, I cannot abide having the p**s taken out of me and that now seems to be the way of things, change needs to happen, the fans are once again turning on MM and on this occasion he only has himself to blame, there is only a certain amount of leeway you can give someone but when they stop trying to help themselves it really is game up. The game Tuesday evening was dreadful in so many ways, Micks decisions before and during the game definitely had a negative effect on proceedings and you could almost be forgiven for thinking we treated it as a game that was lost before we even kicked a ball, I get that sometimes you have to rest the odd player from time to time but Five of your main ones all at once ? Pure suicide and I take it as being disrespectful to the 300+ who made the long trip, in fact no I see it as being disrespectful to every Town fan whether they were there or not. The concerning thing is that I just don't see Mick walking anytime soon, I also struggle to see ME sacking him so it looks like we could very well have the whole season ahead consisting of unrest, bad feeling and a big split throughout the club again, I will be shocked beyond belief if ME was to offer the 2 year extension to Mick's contract, it really cannot happen.

Having made my position clear as to where I stand on the MM debate I wan't to play devils advocate here, is Mick in fact actually playing a blinder and using all his nous and managerial experience to perfection, forget the Four letter tirade last weekend for a second and put aside the boring style of football that has crept back in and look at the facts, 11th in the table and a game in hand which if won takes us 7th, we are a Third of the way through the season and have a record of won Seven, lost Seven, is there any reason why that cannot be continued throughout the campaign in it's entirety ? Looking at the positions in the table of the seven teams we have beaten reads like this 24th 23rd 22nd 21st 19th 17th and 15th, while the teams that have beaten us sit 2nd 3rd 4th 7th 9th 12th ans 16th so there is an obvious pattern here which doesn't take a genius to see, to continue as we are would have us on the 70 point mark or as near as damn it meaning we would be no more than an extra win or two from the top six, that makes games against the teams in the middle ground of the table crucial and will go a long way to determining which way the seasons pans out, teams like this Saturdays opponents Preston North End are a good example, others like Forest, Wednesday, Hull and Reading hold the key, wins in these games will see us even closer to the top Six, of course defeats and it's the complete opposite. So is Mick done and dusted and losing the plot or playing to his and the teams strengths perfectly ? Food for thought and time will tell, unfortunately I won't be changing my mind again any time soon.

As for this weekends opponents, Preston had a super start to the season but in recent weeks it has mirrored our form really and all gone a bit wrong. One win in the last Seven has seen them slip outside the play off places, they currently sit in 10th, one place above us and with the same points having played a game more, injuries have affected them recently too and with a relatively small squad it bites hard, as we know only too well. On the One hand this could be a great time to play them but on the other hand we so often gift teams something when they are on a terrible run. Town have to win these games at home to keep the fans from completely turning on the team, another negative result and poor performance here and this could prove terminal to our chances going forward. For what it is worth I think they owe us a performance and result after Cardiff, players keep coming out and talking the talk but we need to see it carried through to the pitch, I can only see the players that were left out Tuesday returning and that may well be just enough to see us home, it won't be easy, no game ever is but let's at least put some pride back into the shirt guys, we can win this and I think we may just edge it.

The Opposition – Preston North End

Preston North End was originally founded as a cricket club in 1863, by Mr Walter Pomfret of Deepdale Road, who was the first person to rent the field on which North End has always played. The original rent was £8 per year. As Preston already had a strong town's club, they adopted the "North End" suffix because they moved to the North End of the town when Moor Park opened, playing their matches at Moor Park. Prior to that they played at Bow Lane. The club adopted rugby union code in 1877, but one year later they played their first game under the rules of association football, and in May 1880 unanimously passed a resolution to adopt the association code.

Preston North End were famously successful during the early years of professional football in England. In 1887, Preston beat Hyde 26–0 in the First Round of the FA Cup, still a record winning margin in English first-class football. Preston forward Jimmy Ross scored eight goals in the match, going on to score 19 goals in the competition that season, also still a record.

In 1888–89, they became the first league champions and the first winners of "The Double", becoming the only team to date to go throughout an entire season unbeaten in both the league and FA Cup – winning the FA Cup without conceding a goal.

Preston were league champions again the following season, but have not won the title since. The club's last major trophy was an FA Cup triumph in 1938.

Preston were relegated to the Second Division in 1961 and have not played in the top division since. The club did reach the FA Cup final in 1964, but lost to West Ham United. Preston were relegated to the Third Division in the 1969–70 season. The club won the Third Division title at the first attempt and so returned to the Second Division.

Bobby Charlton, an England World Cup winner from 1966, was appointed Preston manager in 1973, but was unable to prevent the club from sliding into the Third Division in his first season and left after two years in charge. A brief respite in 1978 saw Preston win promotion back to the Second Division, but go down after three seasons. In 1985 the club fell into the Fourth Division for the first time in its history.

In 1986, Preston finished second from bottom in the Fourth Division and only avoided dropping into the Football Conference because the other Football League members voted in favour of the division's bottom four teams retaining their senior status.
A year later Preston won promotion to the Third Division and they were still at this level until 1990 when they were relegated from the first season of the new Division Two.

Preston were Division Three title in 1997, and in February 1998, 34-year-old defender David Moyes took over management of the club. Preston quickly developed into Division Two promotion contenders under Moyes, reaching the 1998–99 play-offs but losing out to Gillingham in the semi-finals, before finally being promoted as champions a year later.

Preston began the new millennium by winning promotion from Division 2 in the 1999–2000 season as champions. The club almost made it two promotions in a row in 2001 but lost 3–0 to Bolton Wanderers in the Division One play-off final. Moyes left for Everton in March 2002.

Preston were little more than a mid-table side until the 2004/5 season when Billy Davies took over and guided Preston to the Championship playoff final in his first season as manager, but they lost to West Ham United. The club reached the play-offs again the following year, this time losing out at the semi-final stage.

Preston spent much of the 2006–07 season in the automatic promotion or play-off places. However, from March 2007 the club slid rapidly down the league. On 11 July 2007, Nugent, the first Preston player to win an England cap for 50 years, left the club to join Portsmouth for a reported transfer fee of £6,000,000 and they did not recover from their poor run of form.

After a bad start to the 2007–08 season which saw the club pick up just three wins, Paul Simpson was sacked as manager on 13 November 2007 and Alan Irvine was appointed as Preston's new manager on a three-and-a-half year deal. He achieved his first objective as manager by finishing in 15th place, thus securing Preston's survival in the Championship.

The following season, he led Preston to 6th place in the Championship after a good run of form towards the end of the season, qualifying for the play-offs.

On 29 December 2008, Irvine was sacked after a poor run of results, with the club appointing Darren Ferguson as his successor and he narrowly secured their survival in the Championship.
In the 2009–10 season, Preston finished in 17th place and in the following season they were bottom of the Championship when Ferguson was sacked at Christmas.

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown was appointed as Ferguson's replacement, but could only achieve his first win in his 13th game in charge. This sparked an improved run of form, but could not prevent relegation to League One.

Brown was sacked on 14 December 2011 after less than a year in charge. After four weeks of interviews, Preston approached Stevenage manager Graham Westley and he was appointed manager on Friday 13 January 2012. Following a poor string of results, including a club record run of 12 home games without a win, Westley was sacked as Preston manager on 13 February 2013.

On 18 February 2013, it was confirmed that Simon Grayson had taken charge of Prestonand by the end of the 2012–13 season Preston were safe in 14th place, 11 points clear of relegation.

Preston won promotion to the Championship after beating Swindon Town 4–0 in the League One play-off Final on 24 May 2015, having failed in their previous nine appearances in the play-offs.

Since promotion to the second tier, Preston have achieved two successive top-half finishes despite having the third-lowest budget in the Championship, relying on a shrewd transfer policy and the development of young, relatively inexpensive players.

Last season Preston finished in 11th place with 62 points.

The Manager – Alex Neil

Past Match Video - Trev

Media Watch – K L Blue

Zach Wards view

http://www.haverhillecho.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-8224272

Northstander's view

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town ... -1-5260253

Mick's View

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32544

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 11th place with 21 points

Cardiff City 3-1 Ipswich Town

Burton Albion 1-2 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 0-1 Norwich City

Sheffield Utd 1-0 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 1-3 Bristol City

Preston Last 5 Matches – Currently in 10th place with 21 points

Preston NE 2-3 Brentford FC

Wolverhampton 3-2 Preston NE

Fulham FC 2-2 Preston NE

Preston NE 2-2 Sunderland

Hull City 1-2 Preston NE

Fixtures of Interest

ASTON VILLA VS SHEFF. WEDNESDAY

BOLTON VS NORWICH CITY

NOTT. FOREST VS Q.P.R.

Marko's Caption Contest - THE DON CUP

Don't forget this is now seperated from the 'Previews' and can be found at the top of the forum!

Here: http://www.tractor-boys.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=65775

Match Referee – Andrew Madley

IPSWICH TOWN 2 PRESTON NORTH END 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Preston NE Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:Having made my position clear as to where I stand on the MM debate I wan't to play devils advocate here, is Mick in fact actually playing a blinder and using all his nous and managerial experience to perfection, forget the Four letter tirade last weekend for a second and put aside the boring style of football that has crept back in and look at the facts, 11th in the table and a game in hand which if won takes us 7th, we are a Third of the way through the season and have a record of won Seven, lost Seven, is there any reason why that cannot be continued throughout the campaign in it's entirety ? Looking at the positions in the table of the seven teams we have beaten reads like this 24th 23rd 22nd 21st 19th 17th and 15th, while the teams that have beaten us sit 2nd 3rd 4th 7th 9th 12th ans 16th so there is an obvious pattern here which doesn't take a genius to see, to continue as we are would have us on the 70 point mark or as near as damn it meaning we would be no more than an extra win or two from the top six, that makes games against the teams in the middle ground of the table crucial and will go a long way to determining which way the seasons pans out, teams like this Saturdays opponents Preston North End are a good example, others like Forest, Wednesday, Hull and Reading hold the key, wins in these games will see us even closer to the top Six, of course defeats and it's the complete opposite. So is Mick done and dusted and losing the plot or playing to his and the teams strengths perfectly ? Food for thought and time will tell, unfortunately I won't be changing my mind again any time soon.
Definitely food for thought and, yes, it does take a genius, FFS! Would never have worked that ^^^^ out in a month of pancake Tuesdays.
Another very good preview. I don't mind Preston. I especially like the sliced sausage rolls at the Sunday morning market there. Delicious.

Someone has already voted for the PNE win! S'not looking good. Going to vote for the win, because, sliced sausage rolls aside, Preston should be shyte. But fearing the loss.
Draw. 3-3. Sears hatrick.

Ref caption:

Player: Come on, Ref...., Im only asking you to get me one bottle of red.
Ref: HEY, that was Madeley. I'm Madley!
Player: ....., in love with making wrong decisions?
Ref: YOU WANT BOOKED?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am

I think everything here points to our first draw of the season, it has to happen soon surely.

Preston have drawn more games away than they’ve either won or lost (2-3-2), and have conceded eight goals on their travels the same number as Town have conceded at Portman Road. The only marginal difference is Town having managed to score a couple of more home goals than Preston have away (11v9).

Ipswich Town 1-1 Preston North End

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 am

yes, 1-1 for me ................... McGoldrick getting a hat trick

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I wonder what weird and wonderful team selection we are infor this week?

Draw 1-1.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 pm

Team is poor, too many deficiencies in key areas, play with a style that is invariably non-effective. The opposition are no Hungary '54, but this represents a good opportunity for them to take all available points.

Ipswich 1 Preston North End 3

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:10 am

Hung Gary, 54? Is this a dating site now?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:20 am

LMFAO

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 am

2-0 town. COYB

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 am

marko69 wrote:Hung Gary, 54? Is this a dating site now?
Wishful thinking, Marko?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am

barmy billy wrote:
Wishful thinking, Marko?

We are looking to attract new members Billy. For 20 quid a month you can join mate, and wait there's more ..... one lucky person that signs up will win a weekend away at a caravan park in Coventry with Mr Disco.

Sold?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 am

This just clarifies the team are struggling LOL.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Frosty wrote:
barmy billy wrote:
Wishful thinking, Marko?

We are looking to attract new members Billy. For 20 quid a month you can join mate, and wait there's more ..... one lucky person that signs up will win a weekend away at a caravan park in Coventry with Mr Disco.

Sold?
Mr Disco would be bad enough, but Coventry? Will all due respect, I'll pass. Have you asked Marko?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:41 pm

With family in Coventry and having been there...... I'll pass also. Going to have to pass on the absolute legend that is Mr Disco also, got a voicemail from Hung Gary, hopefully hitting the mirrored balls later! Sorry, Disco!!

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:28 pm

yellow card for McG-petulance apparently!!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:23 pm

2-0 Looking good so far :D

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:25 pm

2-0
Waghorn
Mc G.

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Celina
3-0

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Celinaaaaaaa stick that up ya big nose mccarthy!!!!!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 pm

Should of played this line up against Cardiff.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 pm

4* manager McCarthy answers doubters.

Great performance Mick, you should be justifiably proud. Never doubted you for a minute.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:07 pm

barmy billy wrote:4* manager McCarthy answers doubters.

Great performance Mick, you should be justifiably proud. Never doubted you for a minute.
Against a preston side with 7 defenders out injured. Micks a genius

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Just home from a crap round of golf, switched on Sky Soccer Saturday and wow what a surprise. Even better up to 7th with a game in hand....

Super Mick, Super Mick, Super Mick McCarthy...

Only joking !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:13 pm

It will be interesting to see the player ratings and find out if Celina’s pace had anything to do with this win?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Bloody hell, quiet in 'ere after a 3-0 win. Not read any reports, still out after the Hibs game, but 3-0 is a good solid scoreline. Did the performance match?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm

:roll: This is the frigging team Mick should have fielded against Cardiff, I cant see Scuse removing his injury replacements of Bru and Connolly in a hurry, Bru playing an excellent game, he certainly has got the bit between his teeth after Micks official I wont be playing Bru again, well done young man for proving Mick wrong, we certainly do need a permanent younger replacement for the ageing Scuse, who could do a good job as a Sub, anyway well done the lads for stamping your authority on a weak Preston side.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:40 pm

marko69 wrote:Bloody hell, quiet in 'ere after a 3-0 win. Not read any reports, still out after the Hibs game, but 3-0 is a good solid scoreline. Did the performance match?

Despite the win marko, the crowd ( and a lot of the players), were strangely muted. Think McCarthys shyte stirring has made the place not too comfortable to be around for many . Such a shame , because it need not have been this way. I still feel his time is up. The first half performance wS absolutely dire and only the brilliant Waghorn free kicked goal saved a rendition of boos at half time. Second half , we decided to attack.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I cant remember ever seeing Town win 3-0 and having such a flat atmosphere around the ground, very low key and deflated feel about the place which I suppose is to be expected given the events of recent weeks. This is close to the team I would ahve expected at Cardiff on Tuesday night so when I heard there was Five changes I was more than happy, to see Webster, Waghorn, McGoldrick & Spence back in was pleasing to say the least as was seeing Celina keep his place. To say it was the proverbial game of Two halves would be an understatement, the first Twenty Five was boring in the extrme with neither side able to get going, too many stoppages broke up play time and time again and neither team could get into any kind of rhythem. The only sight of goal in the first half hour fell to Preston in the opening few minutes as Bart was called upon to deal with a shot from just inside the box. Much of the opening part of the game had been Hugill attempting wrestling moves on Webster, time after time there were niggly fouls being commited and arm flying around. Thankfully the game started to settle down as Town began to get a bit of a grip of things but still without looking too confident or in control, we did have the ball in the net courtesy of Didsy but the flag had been put up well in advance, the chance being set up by Celina and the offside Garner. With HT approaching Skuse had to be replaced by Bru after picking up an injury, just one of a number of stoppages that had done little to help the quality of the game. With injury time upon us we finally got ourselves ahead, a decent move resulted in Waghorn being fouled some way out and it was the striker who took it himself, bending a lovely free kick around the wall and into the net. Incredibly there was still time for preston to create only their second real chance of the half as the dangerous looking Johnson cut inside before crashing a shot off the top of the bar and away to safety, the final few minutes were certainly not in keepeing with the rest of a very drab half of football where twon again kept hoofing it long and aimlessly towards Garner.

If the first half was poor the second half was most certainly not and far more enjoyable for the fans. We didn't have to wait long for Town to get the second goal, some good play by Bru and a super cross from Jordan Spence saw Didsy rise at the back post to plant his header firmly passed the Preston keeper who was all at sea, the relief around the stadium was obvious and going on what preston had offered up until that point it really did feel like job done. With confidence now restored and our tails up we kept the foot on the gas and treid to come forward at every opportunity, another super cross from Spence found it's way to knudsen who's header just went the wrong side of the post when he really should have made it count. Loanee Connolly was next to miss an opportuntiy to score, this time a Preston defender clearing it from just in front of the goal line. Preston were finding it hard to get out of their half and Knudsen again came close to making it Three, this time his shot hitting the bar. Town were not to be denied though and following some excellent play between the impressive Spence and Celina the Man City man surged clear of the Preston defence before unleashing a rocket of a shot into the top of the net, the celebrations from the Town players said it all and they had been on fire for a few minutes, creating several chances and actually looking half decent. The final quarter of the game didn't really see too many clear chances at either end, Preston tried to rally but really didn't have the quality to cause us any real problems whil at the other end Town seemed quite happy with the Three they had already scored ans saw it through to the final whistle.

Although the first half was poor the second half was a far cry from the dross I suffered at Cardiff on Tuesday night, it is no coincidence than when we did try to play football with the ball on the deck we actually looked damn decent and carved them open, it has to be said Preston are poor and missing a few but hey we know all about that, you can onl;y beat what is in front of you and we did just that. Bersant Celina again looked a real handful when on the ball and has surely cemented his place as a regular starter, Adam Webster too looks to be getting back to the player we know he will be for us, the second half saw the Two Fullbacks getting forward much more to support the attack and it made a huge difference, Knudsen could have had Two and Spence had Two assists to his name, Waghorn & Garner always give you a shift and Didsy looked to be the player we needed when Norwich were in Town, not exactly back to his best but certainly more like it. Some will say losing Skuse was a blessing but that would be harsh as Bru came in and carried on when Skuse left off, yes bru gets forward more and it did help in One of the goals today. All in all a satisfactory conclusion to the day although for 45 Minutes it was painful.

Bart (7) Spence (7) Chambers (6) Webster (7) Knudsen (7) Connolly (6) Skuse (5) Celina (7) McGoldrick (7) Waghorn (7) Garner (6)

SUBS :- Bru (7) Ward (5) Nydam (5)

We really do find ourselves in a bizzare situation, Seventh in the league with that elusive game in hand which potentially puts us in the play off places and yet a large percentage of fans want change and MM gone, as an outsider looking in you would wonder just what the hell Town fans wnat and expect, of course only we see a lot of the off field issues that are going on, not to mention the at times drab football on show. But we need to put that aside for tonight and enjoy the league table, up to Seventh, above the scum and a Two week break to revel in it, Huws and Adeyemi to return so still much room for improvement, am I the only one that just cannot fathom us out at the moment ? Bring on Hull.....COYB'S

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Super and very well written report thanks Mike.

Was thinking to myself the very thought that we are near the playoff places but recent events by MM and fan apathy has pushed this fact into the back ground.