Question: Town more effective without Skuse?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

barmy billy

Re: Question: Town more effective without Skuse?

Post by barmy billy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
barmy billy wrote:Thanks for the tip Rossi. I have actually tried that and just end up wide awake and depressed thinking about it in the early hours.

Any other suggestions welcomed from anyone.
A few hours with a hot woman
Trouble is Mike it's a messy old business and it makes you very hot!!

This is a true story: Some years ago I was prescribed some tablets for of all things, as foot problem. One of the side effects was, 'can cause a pronounced and prolonged erection'. I spent every Saturday morning walking up and down the High Street in my shorts, but to no avail. The last sentence is not true by the way, but the rest is.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
barmy billy wrote:Thanks for the tip Rossi. I have actually tried that and just end up wide awake and depressed thinking about it in the early hours.

This is a true story: Some years ago I was prescribed some tablets for of all things, as foot problem. One of the side effects was, 'can cause a pronounced and prolonged erection'. I spent every Saturday morning walking up and down the High Street in my shorts, but to no avail. The last sentence is not true by the way, but the rest is.
Got any left ? LMAO

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Would have thought a foot problem would’ve been something of a bonus B.B.! Most of us have to get along with, + or -, around half of that......but, as a rule. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm

f**king brilliant !!!! Pmsl

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 pm

Nice Herforder. I knew a Skuse thread would eventually turn into a conversation about massive c0cks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:32 am

Honestly, you lot !! I havent laughed so much in ages!!!! :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 pm

barmy billy wrote:
derick_ipsw wrote:We could quite easily play Conolly in that holding roll while Skuse is out. He is quicker, Taller should win more headers and a lot younger, so should have a better engine. Passing I don't think he could do any worse.
Seeing your post timed at 0332 which I read at 0430 makes me wonder if you are an insomniac like me, Derick?
No I'm not..I just can't sleep :wink:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

charlton837 wrote:Hard to tell imo. You would need 4 or 5 games in a row without him to see. I don't mind skuse as such, I think its more the combinations that don't work. I think skuse is often a scapegoat as he's seen as only defensive. That's ok if the rest have some creative spark to them
We had that run of 4/5 games without him last February. Arguably the toughest spell last season where we all had been fearing that but we came off undefeated.
And the performances were quite impressive. All of that .... WITHOUT SKUSE IN THE TEAM !

Not only that period just other matches too where we were quicker and more threatening when he wasn't in the team.

What rattles me is that people saying that Skuse is a scapegoat for some. Saying that he is painfully slow and limited player doesn't mean he's a scapegpat.

Most overrated Ipswich player ever ! Gets bizarre admiration no matter how he plays. Occasionally he'll make a great run back tracking his man or an important block and people keep raving.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 am

Mach, skuse missed only 2 matches of those 5 last Feb and played in the other 3.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 am

barmy billy wrote:
hallamblue wrote:Get yourself a decent Malt ( single of course) !!
Thanks, Liz. do you want my address to send it to?? :lol:

Ha ha , In ya dreams . Oh, you don’t sleep to dream though do you !!

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am

hallamblue wrote:
barmy billy wrote:
hallamblue wrote:Get yourself a decent Malt ( single of course) !!
Thanks, Liz. do you want my address to send it to?? :lol:

Ha ha , In ya dreams . Oh, you don’t sleep to dream though do you !!
Sleep in any guise would be most welcome.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

It's always struck me how quiet this place is at night when there are many southern hemisphere supporters and apparently now insomniacs too!

I don't think Skuse is ever really an escape goat, he's very reliably average, you need to perform well below your par to be singled out and blamed for a result. I think very few people who dislike the Skuse situation have much against the player himself, it's more the signal of intent, or rather the lack of attacking, ball on floor football intent it portrays, which really grates.

As has been said, you defend as a team, every central midfielder in the division should be able to defend and will have important defensive duties. A defensive central midfielder is absolutely fine, and often important, but it's purely a positional thing, it doesn't have to be detrimental to other areas of the game. Skuse through no fault of his own destroys the tempo of attacking play, has one speed, one urgency, and it doesn't matter if it's Barcelona or Braintree, he's picked and the tactics remain the same. Every game.

I think it's more that supporters are getting increasing tired of negative tactics and setting up not to lose. When the team have been given the chance to attack and do their thing, they have invariably done better and entertained as has been mentioned, but it's never allowed to last long. Picking Skuse is indicative of the kind of football the players are being asked to play, it's not setting up to control, dominate and beat opposition on merit, it's defend first and see if we get lucky, it screams to the players "I don't trust that you're good enough to go out there and win this game", great confidence builder that is, a self fulfilling prophecy that ensures mediocrity.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:30 pm

I wish I agreed with you Ricco in that Skuse is not seen treated as a scapegoat, all too often it is more than evident on the terraces that it is the case, not a lot said when we win strangely enough. As for the rest of it, yes pretty much spot on although I still maintain with the amoubt of attacking options we have on the pitch one defensive option is a must and if he influences the game that much the others between them need a kick up the arse cus they must be doing feck all.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 am

Bluemike wrote:Mach, skuse missed only 2 matches of those 5 last Feb and played in the other 3.
Mike yes he technically played in other games, let's have a look:
1. Home draw to Reading 2-2 - Skuse went off after 20 minutes due to injury and that was followed by a good encouraging performance.
2. Away win to Villa 1-0 - he didn't play and we had a good away win and performance alike
3. Away draw to Brighton 1-1 - he didn't play and we had a very good match.
4. Home draw to Leeds 1-1 - came back to the team and left the pitch after 60 minutes.
5. Away draw to Norwich 1-1 - though we were organised and couldn't fault the players for their determination to stop Norwich playing we had no intention to win the game. Skuse was back and he's been ever present in all McCarthys 7 meetings with them. And we have never beaten them.

If this one above isn't a proof that we're better without him in the team let's go back to my old thread back in March 2015 and facts about Skuse: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64159

And that old thread would be well updated with more matches.

Of course you and others will keep saying that he's a vital part of our team. But this is so baffling and bizarre. Pass the ball to him and you know that everything is going to be painfully slow and his pass will be sideways or backwards.

And to those telling us how he reads the game well this is a clip from last seasons home defeat to Forest 0-2. Second goal to them and his reaction when he allows Mills to jump and head the ball towards Assombalonga. The time of that moment on this video is 1:11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4ekuJsetg

Why doesn't he have to fight for his place in the team? Most overrated Ipswich player ever !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:54 pm

I rest my case LOL.

Mach, all joking aside we are never going to agree on Cole Skuse and that is fine, a lot of people agree with you, I don't. What I don't enjoy is our fans using him as a scapegoat week after week for our poor standard of play because for me that is totally wrong. The run of games you listed where we were unbeaten saw the whole team play well to secure results none of us saw coming, it wasn't a case of Ten good performances and Cole Skuse, that is unfair on the guy. Stats can be used in many ways and as I have said numerous times they are crap, for instance we won our opening Five games of this season and played some good stuff, Skuse played every minute of all five games, on that basis alone does that make him a vital part of the team ? To be fair I dont think I have ever said he is a "vital part" of the team, I have often said he is definitley a neccesity and one I am happy with when we have so many attack minded players on the pitch.

I think I have missed 2 or 3 games in the last couple of years and have had to suffer many things I am not happy with in our team, Skuse has rarely been one of them, steady at best I grant you but the cause of many of our shortcomings ? No not for me.

Jonas Knudsen....Two bloody years of watching him getting ripped to pieces time after time, his positional play is woeful at times and he regularly gets draged out of position all too easily, I can remember hallam at several games bemoaning the way he ambles back when teams attack us and he is caught upfield, numerous fans have wanted him dropped too.

Grant Ward.....Offers what exactly ? Hardly scores, can't tackle, creates occasionally with crosses and free kicks but that defence splitting pass etc ? Never see it. For me he bring s afraction to the team that Skuse brings.

Freddie Sears.... Good old Freddie, a fans favourite who i ahve had to watch play 40 games or something at one time without finding the net, please don't anyone tell me that it's cus of MM and all that crap cus it's bollocks, sears has been in goalscoring positions many times and f*cked it up every single time, at any other club he would have been ditched but MM stuck with him, Waghorn has porved you can be played wide and still score goals, you have to be good enough and have the desire to do so, Sears doesn't.

Tommy Smith..... When fit a liability of the highest order, ball control pitiful, passing non existent, hoof ball all day long.

McGoldrick, Bishop, Huws, Adeyemi.... all highly talented players but when are they ever fit and available ? ok Didsy has had a decent run for him but the rest of them ? Skuse may be limited but is always dependable to be available and nobody can say he doesn't get stuck in because that is one of his strong points. I do agree that everyone should fight for their place and not be a cert to play but f*ck me without Skuse we would have been stuffed for Midfielders at times with those sicknotes, yes Downes & Nydam have emerged in recent weeks and they are being handled correctly by MM.

Hyam & Bru.....Let's not even go there, One I have had to endure every time he plays and the other is about as fit and reliable as a Donkey with Ricketts.

The point I am making is that there are many more reasons why things are not great at times than just Cole Skuse being defensive, that to me is very narrow minded and is just what I said at the start, a scapegoat when we lose or play poorly or negatively. Johnny Douglas got it too and that was shocking, all this crap about it was aimed at MM is bollocks, Im there every week and I hear it close up, in fact I often got close to arguments because of it.

I remember ploughing a lone furrow regarding Daryl Murphy, nobody rated him except me and lo and behold a couple of seasons later, when played in the right position he was a god but again a scapegoat in the making, fans with short memories who change with the wind. I could go on and on and on, we are all entitled to an opinion and we have had many laughs about this Cole Skuse thing when we meet up and will do so again at Hull on saturday but the serious side of me says it is often way OTT and from my point of view actually totally incorrect.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 pm

I guess the difference might be Mike, that those you have mentioned fall in to two categories, poor players who don't always start and are generally in the team through lack of alternative, and good players that can make things happen, but are often injured. Skuse falls in to a third category, granted he is better than the poor players mentioned, but he is not a game winner or even game saver like the others can be, he's Mr Average, Mr We Lack Ambition, and yet McCarthy is head over heals in love with him.

That's the thing I think, if any of the players play poorly, they can be replaced in McCarthy's plans, yet not once has Skuse's place in the team ever been under threat, not when the team are playing poorly, not when the team are playing well without him, we all know he starts if he's fit, if nothing else, that removes healthy competition. I think when people moan about Skuse, it's not that they dislike the player so much (although fine, I'm sure some do), it's that he has been untouchable for 4+ seasons, no alternative's tried, no replacement lined up, just an acceptance of average ambition, acceptance of a negative mindset and the mid table mediocrity that it represents.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:08 am

Forgetting last season Ricco i dont think 6th and 7th was mid table mediocrity when he played virtually every game.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

Bluemike wrote:Forgetting last season Ricco i dont think 6th and 7th was mid table mediocrity when he played virtually every game.
Ah 14/15, the year he actually scored a goal :lol:

He was 28 then and in his prime, he is now 31 and not the future for the team. The 7th place the following year flattered us, finishing with a +2 goal difference highlights that.

I do know what you mean, and of course one player doesn't guarantee failure, but I think you know what I mean when I say it. I wouldn't even mind him playing every week if the team were doing well, but I would like to see him challenged and the tactics reconsidered from time to time. I think as long as he is number one and unchallenged, then the team will struggle to become the positive passing side that I crave.

Devils advocate now, and not that I think goals are a good judge of a central midfielder, but 2 goals in 184 games, 276 hours? Nearly 7 full working weeks worth of waddling around a football pitch? 3 goals would've gone in off my backside in that time, he doesn't have a ounce of attacking instinct in his body, which is fine, but you have to be one hell of a player in other areas if you're not going to help going forward, and he just isn't.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 am

Don't get me wrong Ricco, I am not an advocate that Skuse should always play and is not challenged for his position, far from it, with Huws and Adeyemi closing in on returns it will be interesting going forward, what I don't go along with is that some Town fans imply is when we win it is despite Cole Skuse but when we lose it is because of Cole Skuse, that's just nonsense.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:Don't get me wrong Ricco, I am not an advocate that Skuse should always play and is not challenged for his position, far from it, with Huws and Adeyemi closing in on returns it will be interesting going forward, what I don't go along with is that some Town fans imply is when we win it is despite Cole Skuse but when we lose it is because of Cole Skuse, that's just nonsense.
Well there'll always be a few idiots and defensive players are generally the ones they go after, goalkeeper makes a blunder and he's lambasted until his confidence is shot, striker misses an open goal and everyone has a laugh and applauds the build up play.

I have no idea whether Town are a better team with or without Skuse frankly, depends on who the alternative would be I guess, but I would like to see a run of games without him, as I do have my suspicions it just may allow some of our players to flourish.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 am

derick_ipsw wrote:We could quite easily play Conolly in that holding roll while Skuse is out. He is quicker, Taller should win more headers and a lot younger, so should have a better engine. Passing I don't think he could do any worse.
I love being correct!! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
I love being correct!! :lol:
Make the most of it Derick lol, all joking aside the lad has imoressed me greatly the last couple of games

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm

It’s all about playing the right combinations, not necessarily the b st players. Too often we’ve had round pegs in Square he les. McCarthy may nor starting to be getting it right ( given that certain players are returning from injury) . I just want to know why do many of our players pick up injuries in training and non competitive games?? It’s not just this season where this has blighted McCarthy efforts.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:Make the most of it Derick lol, all joking aside the lad has imoressed me greatly the last couple of games
Showing Skuse how it can be done, you don't have to stick to your 5m defensive radius and pass sideways. A bit of competition at last, that or the extra freedom has shaken Skuse up a touch.