Question: Town more effective without Skuse?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Question: Town more effective without Skuse?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:21 am

Interesting question and one worth a discussion perhaps?

I know of one Town fan who has had adamant views on this for a long while :wink:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/just-a-thou ... -1-5266133

ashfordblue

Re: Question: Town more effective without Skuse?

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am

:roll: Well it seems strange that the 3 games Scuse missed we played more open attacking football, I would like to see our midfield stay the same after Scuce's injury departure, he does slow down the movement going forward, its his age 32 he's due for the chop soon, so better to replace him now with a more vibrant positive midfield set up, but Mick wont see it that way, so hopefully Micks departure in May will see him take Scuse with him, we do have some admirable young midfield players waiting in the wings, so let the cull begin now rather than drag it out until May

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Hard to tell imo. You would need 4 or 5 games in a row without him to see. I don't mind skuse as such, I think its more the combinations that don't work. I think skuse is often a scapegoat as he's seen as only defensive. That's ok if the rest have some creative spark to them

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Exactly Charlton, spot on but as we all know Town fans just love a scapegoat and Skuse is the latest in a long long line, when he is gone it will be somebody else.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 pm

well I remember saying on this board last season during his time out injured that we looked a better team without him, and that was not the first time I said it either, because ever since he has been at the club we have played better as a team when he has not been playing imo.

he's an average player - no more - and I think he will slowly suffocate any team he plays for with his negative sideways and backwards passing. Of course I wish him no ill, such as wishing that it's impossible to ever get his leg brace off, but I sincerely hope that this time he is not immediately put into the team as soon as he's fit again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Do you honestly think he's that bad Gary ?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:Do you honestly think he's that bad Gary ?
He's not good enough on the ball to dictate the pace of a game; he's not strong enough physically to command and control an area of the field; he's not quick or eager enough to track runs; his distribution is basic, negative and one-paced; he doesn't have an aerial presence and he's vocally passive. I struggle to work out why he's first on the team sheet.

He does read the defensive game ok, and is a good judge of when to take the yellow card, but if anyone says "he does the dirty, hard work that no one notices", then I might just go mad. He still misses plays and runs happening out of his vision and he does get lazy, which occasionally costs goals, I think that's unacceptable for a player in his role that offers nothing in the attacking half of the pitch.

I have nothing against the bloke himself, quite the opposite, love the man, it's not his fault he's not an 18 year old sprinter, I hope he doesn't read my opinion of him as a player, because it's the opposite of him as a person, he's probably the nicest most professional guy at the club. I grew up in Bristol myself, so would love to buy him many pints and congratulate him on his career, what he's achieved and thank him for it, but he's not taking this team forward on the pitch at his age.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:16 pm

He’s an honest, reliable, but ultimately average pro. True he occupies the key holding midfield role fairly effectively - and MM will always play at least one - but he offers little creativity, or generates forward momentum. Whilst that’s not his prime function, it’s something that becomes more apparent with better quality players in the team; where a more dynamic and potent forward line requires an equally effective/quality midfield.

Funny old thing, though, until Terry Hunt raised the Skuse issue in today’s EADT, I don’t believe he has been critically or continuously criticised, or held up as the go to scapegoat - as was the case in in the darker past.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 pm

So what are you guys saying ? Pmsl.

Seriously though, trust me he has been used as a scapegoat in many many quarters for a long time now. Personally I dont think he is anywhere near as limited as you guys think but that is the beauty of opinions, i get more annoyed with players like Grant Ward who supposedly have a bit of flair, skill and creativity about them but who in truth contribute far less than Skuse.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:Do you honestly think he's that bad Gary ?
I don't think he's necessarily bad, Mike; but I do think he hinders our play.

He's good at reading the game and at putting himself between opponent and ball - that's about it.

On the other hand he's slow, can't head the ball for toffee, can't pass the ball accurately, has no vision or creativity, and 99% of the time can only kick the ball sideways or backwards.

He's a senior player, and I do not think his ethos rubs off too well on our other midfielders who no doubt look up to him as the senior player.

Let's be honest, we have been bemoaning the fact that the team has not been creative enough for a long time now - a long time in which he has been ever present. All I'm saying is that it might be a good idea to have a run of games without him and see what happens.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

:roll: That's a fair assumption of Cole Scuse Rossi, as you say a fair run of games without him might prove beneficial, but don't forget Mick could stick Ward in to mess things up a bit, when we do have a better selection available, like Huw's coming in, and when every one of the midfielders is back fit again, we will have a massive selection problem, a nice one though.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Reading through some of the opinions I can see why Skuse is picked week in , week out . He's a typical archetypal McCarthy player. He's a " proper bloke", no frills, puts in " proper shift" and is basically as boring as f*ck! Every team needs one. But perhaps he's seen his better days, and a bit more energy, and creativity, forward looking play wouldn't go amiss. All I can say is , the team played with markedly more fluidity once he had gone off injured. But as someone has said , you'd need to see a few games without him in the team, which under MM is unlikely.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:50 pm

my view on Skuse - I don't like or dislike him, I get the impression hes a decent enough bloke and very low maintenance, doesn't offend anyone and does a job. I think the problem he gets a lot of negativity is in large due to his given role within the team, I think the negative tactics at time highlight his role more than it needs to and naturally people then jump on Skuse thinking he is meaning of defensive and boring. I think the job he does do at times is useful but I would prefer us to be selective. There are certain games where I would consider leaving him out and going more positive and attacking, equally there are games when I am happy to see Skuse playing, we just need to take it game by game rather than make him an automatic name on the team sheet.

Look at big teams who win things, most of them (if not all) have a great defensive midfielder whos job is to allow the others to play. Im in no way saying Skuse is a great player, but hes competent, the main problem is we don't see the other side where the players around him should have more license to get forward, if they did then I think Skuse would be appreciated a bit more than he currently is. I actually think one of Skuse's problems is he doesn't believe he is that good, I think he can attack and has a decent shot on him, but he seems reluctant to do it. There is a lot of pressure on him in the middle due to the way we play in my opinion and he isn't someone that would get you off your seat. His biggest asset is his timing and reading the play when defending, I think he does this well, but lets face it us fans don't want to see this, the problem with Ipswich is we see it too much!

So im not going to slate Skuse and say we must get rid of him, I would just like to see us use him as I believe he should be, Theres a time and a place for someone like him to be in the team and doing that job, actually if he was given more license to play forward and get in the box from midfield I wouldn't have a problem with him playing every week but im not sure MM wants him to be doing this, so then we all assume he cant.

Just a balanced thought on it!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Top post Charlton, and I agree with you. I think ZmM tactics are the centre of everything we see on the pitch on s Saturday. The players do get their instructions and maybe we don’t see Skuse at his best because he had been given a specific role to play every game. But hey also agree certain games the team’s shackles need to come off. But rarely will McCarthy do that , it’s simply not in his make up .

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:10 pm

I also don't have a particular view on skills other than him being a run of the mill workhorse midfielder who plays as instructed by his manager. You need a blend of skills in midfield and to single out Skuse (as often happens) may be unfair if those around him fail do their job properly.

I don't suppose we will ever know if he is capable of playing differently until MM changes his own thinking. Fat chance then.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Skuse’s automatic inclusion in the team is down to MM’s ‘balance of risk’ philosophy, based on the lack of available offensive midfield quality, and inconsistent defending against teams with flair and pace. Under that scenario MM - probably correctly - sees Skuse as a key component. The job he does is probably appreciated more by his team mates than supporters - who tend to transfer their frustrations with MM on to him, as the epitome of pragmatism and therefore mediocrity.

However, that could change with the return to full fitness of Adyemi, Huws and perhaps Bishop, adding to Celina’s increasingly positive impact. Potentially a far more potent midfield combination and, with better players around him, Skuse’s role and performances could be adjusted and upped, although bear in mind he is 32. Whilst being more selective as to when to play him then becomes more of a realistic option.

Similarly, with Webster up to full speed, and a defence committing fewer individual errors and being more consistent, the pressure on the holding midfielder should be eased. (Although both full back areas remain vulnerable).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

charlton837 wrote:my view on Skuse - I don't like or dislike him, I get the impression hes a decent enough bloke and very low maintenance, doesn't offend anyone and does a job. I think the problem he gets a lot of negativity is in large due to his given role within the team, I think the negative tactics at time highlight his role more than it needs to and naturally people then jump on Skuse thinking he is meaning of defensive and boring. I think the job he does do at times is useful but I would prefer us to be selective. There are certain games where I would consider leaving him out and going more positive and attacking, equally there are games when I am happy to see Skuse playing, we just need to take it game by game rather than make him an automatic name on the team sheet.

Look at big teams who win things, most of them (if not all) have a great defensive midfielder whos job is to allow the others to play. Im in no way saying Skuse is a great player, but hes competent, the main problem is we don't see the other side where the players around him should have more license to get forward, if they did then I think Skuse would be appreciated a bit more than he currently is. I actually think one of Skuse's problems is he doesn't believe he is that good, I think he can attack and has a decent shot on him, but he seems reluctant to do it. There is a lot of pressure on him in the middle due to the way we play in my opinion and he isn't someone that would get you off your seat. His biggest asset is his timing and reading the play when defending, I think he does this well, but lets face it us fans don't want to see this, the problem with Ipswich is we see it too much!

So im not going to slate Skuse and say we must get rid of him, I would just like to see us use him as I believe he should be, Theres a time and a place for someone like him to be in the team and doing that job, actually if he was given more license to play forward and get in the box from midfield I wouldn't have a problem with him playing every week but im not sure MM wants him to be doing this, so then we all assume he cant.

Just a balanced thought on it!
Yes good post Charlton and I agree with much of your summing up. What I will say is that with a defence as weak and feeble as ours is you have to have that extra security of a "Cole Skuse" he definitely adds some protection to the defence and in my opinion if we haven't got enough attacking and goalscoring options in a team containing Waghorn, Garner, Didsy, Celina and Ward there is something bloody wrong and I would suggest if the need is still there for Skuse to create stuff someone else is not doing their job well enough. I raise the issue the other day about how little Grant Ward bring sto the table and for me it is way less than Skuse, nobody commented on it so I assume it is a valid point.

For me Skuse is a vital part of our team given the aforementioned weak defence and the style MM chooses to play and I fully get why as someone else aid the players will appreciate him more than the fans who to be fair often fail to see the bigger picture where players like this are concerned, I also get why MM had issues for a time about starting Celina, there was some games in the early days when he did not track back, it seems now that has been owrked on and he is becoming the real deal, for me Mick got it right with Celina but few will agree.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:11 pm

What is Ward’s best position? Is he a winger, wide or central midfielder? But agree he’s pretty ineffective, either as a creative or attacking presence. Thing is, he probably does have ability; but, once again, it depends on what MM has told him to do in terms of defensive responsibilities etc.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 pm

I dont believe for one second MM tells Ward or anyone else for that matter not to run at defenders, not to make forward passes or not to get in the box etc etc etc, it just wouldnt happen, its a common thing nowadays that when a player is poor it's because MM holds him back and stifles him, utter rubbish as far as im concerned. As for Wards best position, im not convinced he has one.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:I dont believe for one second MM tells Ward or anyone else for that matter not to run at defenders, not to make forward passes or not to get in the box etc etc etc, it just wouldnt happen, its a common thing nowadays that when a player is poor it's because MM holds him back and stifles him, utter rubbish as far as im concerned. As for Wards best position, im not convinced he has one.
I think its probably more about what MM tells him to do as oppose to what he tells him not to do. I can see it being a case of the manager saying first and foremost you must track back, you must follow your man and you must ensure he doesn't have space to play in. If and when the opportunity arises then go forwards. Basically concentrating on the defensive side before attacking (we all know there has to be a balance of course). As it would go this season I think we would be better off attacking more, I think the players we have suit that as I think we are defensively pretty poor.

By the way I am in no way sticking up for Ward here, he has been poor. When he first joined he looked a goal threat, last season he had a patch in CM and looked decent, but when he doesn't play all that well hes basically non existent. Im just not sure hes quite good enough and much of me thinks he never will be. Has some talent but its not enough

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:09 pm

All players in MM’s teams have defensive responsibilities - starting from the front, and when not in possession. Not remotely suggesting that all attacking flair is deliberately strangled, but among the ‘basics’ we need to be better at is retaining the ball, winning second balls and better distribution. When those things don’t happen, then getting the team shape back becomes a priority - Ward and co will have specific defensive responsibilities in order to achieve that and, hopefully, win the ball back and go again. Like you’ve said about Skuse, Ward probably isn’t as poor as some may think! But when all are fit, we probably have better.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:32 am

We could quite easily play Conolly in that holding roll while Skuse is out. He is quicker, Taller should win more headers and a lot younger, so should have a better engine. Passing I don't think he could do any worse.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:17 am

derick_ipsw wrote:We could quite easily play Conolly in that holding roll while Skuse is out. He is quicker, Taller should win more headers and a lot younger, so should have a better engine. Passing I don't think he could do any worse.
Not quite sure why we would do that? To be fair I feel I haven't seen enough of Conolly to have a real opinion on him. but I think looking at him he looks more of a full back, not a central defensive midfielder (even if MM has played him in that position as a cameo). Im not sure looking at the rest of the midfield I would put him ahead of Skuse.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

derick_ipsw wrote:We could quite easily play Conolly in that holding roll while Skuse is out. He is quicker, Taller should win more headers and a lot younger, so should have a better engine. Passing I don't think he could do any worse.
Seeing your post timed at 0332 which I read at 0430 makes me wonder if you are an insomniac like me, Derick?

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Seeing your post timed at 0332 which I read at 0430 makes me wonder if you are an insomniac like me, Derick?
Billy, if you and Derek are insomniacs, then I have a certain cure for you - get down to the next home game and watch Skuse, that will soon send you to sleep ;)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:19 pm

rossi wrote:
barmy billy wrote:
Billy, if you and Derek are insomniacs, then I have a certain cure for you - get down to the next home game and watch Skuse, that will soon send you to sleep ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks for the tip Rossi. I have actually tried that and just end up wide awake and depressed thinking about it in the early hours.

Any other suggestions welcomed from anyone.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Get yourself a decent Malt ( single of course) !!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

barmy billy wrote:Thanks for the tip Rossi. I have actually tried that and just end up wide awake and depressed thinking about it in the early hours.

Any other suggestions welcomed from anyone.
A few hours with a hot woman

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:Get yourself a decent Malt ( single of course) !!
Thanks, Liz. do you want my address to send it to?? :lol: