The degeneration of a once promising managerial name

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

The degeneration of a once promising managerial name

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 am

News came through earlier that West Ham are to employ David Moyes services - tomorrow should see confirmation if not already - and first reaction was one of disbelief. One or two individuals around here put the name forward as a potential candidate to relieve McCarthy should the opportunity arise but you need to be filled in on one or two points.

Foremost, (I) assume Gold and Sullivan remain the owners there, not 100 per cent on it but don't recall ever seeing change in ownership. What a dumb as* decision by the names in question on such an appointment. So they terminate Bilic's services in readiness to attempt a new assault on the season while it remains relatively new, and bring in Moyes with little hesitation. This isn't just walking in blind, (I) was part of Moyes tenure for eleven years for just about the entirety of it with a previous club side and realize what someone else can hope to expect : and what the name can hope to achieve.

Which isn't much. Reminds me often of McCarthy himself : provides one or two seasons of acclaimed work and brings in a number of plaudits, but for the most part the negatives far outweigh the other, and offers stability and not much with it. Has a tendency to play players out of position, doesn't always recognize his best starting XI, and plays with defense in mind and a '"f*ck it if the fans don't like it, a point represents a good score" philosophy. How and why Manchester United decided this was the right candidate to succeed Ferguson in 2013 defies logic, but the latter made recommendations that he was the right name to take over. It was absurd then, today it remains so.

Took in some response from KUMB (their main fan forum) and not surprisingly the reaction was one of disdain and regret. They're not wrong : if you're looking to move away from the relegation places or bottom reaches of a league or to overall improve yourself, then what they've gone for is indeed questionable.

Best case scenario, they'll regain their EPL status for another year but not much with it. Standout moments will be few and far between, maybe a handful of heavyweight scores en-route but the general picture makes for sorry reading. Fair enough they're (West Ham) far from an individual favorite team, but got to feel a level of sympathy for the fans. Truth is, their owners rushed in with such zeal to make this appointment, there was nowhere near enough time for proper consideration for more suitable applicants.

As a last, it didn't go unnoticed the game has taken it's toll on Moyes in the 15 years of top level management, when we first got him from Preston the hair was red, now turned gray. Don't expect a change of scenery in East London to help beat the advancing years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: The degeneration of a once promising managerial name

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Really wish I gave more of a sh1t.

But, his appointment after Sir Eck was arguably the career ruiner! A poisoned Chalice for anyone taking over after him.

I like Moyes, seems a decent guy, but hoping he's not too successful because not too keen on West 'aaaaaam innit!

Apparently Bilic was asked at his departure press conference if he thought Moyes would turn West Ham's season into a successful one.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:18 pm

He did great things at Preston and took over Everton when they were lower league strugglers, kept them up when we went down and then turned them in to a comfortable top 8 team while spending a nett average of only £650k a year. Pretty good??

He was destined to fail at United, poisoned chalice as Marko said, same applies to working in Spain with reputation and confidence damaged and no grasp of the lingo. Sunderland wasn't great, but they're a club on the down anyway.

I'm not sure about 15 years of top level management, but 15 years of living will make you go grey, kind of a biological inevitability when middle aged. I'm more surprised by your surprise and disdain Saint Jude, far far weirder things happen in football? Yeah he mightn't be a managerial great, but he has a proven record of keeping teams up, and that's all West Ham want right now.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm

The only reason Moyes went to Man U was he thought that managing them would be like managing Celtic, not too hard, But he certainly knows how to f*ck a team up big time, with him in charge at the spammers its see you in the championship next season, :shock: I would have thought that Gold & Sullivan would have come in for the Mighty Mick to save their season, after all if he's willing to go back to The Mackems, West Ham should be a doddle, with the short journey from Bromley, ah well could only hope it would happen :x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:57 pm

:lol: You make me laugh my a$$ off, Ash. He knows how to f*ck a team up, big time??? Are you really serious with that? You are one tough supporter! :D

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I think 'degeneration' is a bit unfair, as also is the comment about knowing how to ruin a team. I agree is is a questionable appointment and one I didn't see coming, but West Ham are clearly convinced he will be ok. I imagine survival is the only order for this season.

I don't like West Ham, but I wish Moyes well.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Would you swap Mcarthy for Moyes?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Of course he was so bad at Man Utd that his win ratio has only been bettered by 3 of their managers in history.

Ferguson
Mourinho
Ernest Mangnall (1903 - 1912 if your interested)

Not sure he could have done much more at the time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Don't let facts get in the way off bullshit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Watership Down wrote:Would you swap Mcarthy for Moyes?
Can't speak for everyone, WD, but I personally wouldn't, no.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:01 pm

saint jude wrote:News came through earlier that West Ham are to employ David Moyes services - tomorrow should see confirmation if not already - and first reaction was one of disbelief. One or two individuals around here put the name forward as a potential candidate to relieve McCarthy should the opportunity arise but you need to be filled in on one or two points.

Foremost, (I) assume Gold and Sullivan remain the owners there, not 100 per cent on it but don't recall ever seeing change in ownership. What a dumb as* decision by the names in question on such an appointment. So they terminate Bilic's services in readiness to attempt a new assault on the season while it remains relatively new, and bring in Moyes with little hesitation. This isn't just walking in blind, (I) was part of Moyes tenure for eleven years for just about the entirety of it with a previous club side and realize what someone else can hope to expect : and what the name can hope to achieve.

Which isn't much. Reminds me often of McCarthy himself : provides one or two seasons of acclaimed work and brings in a number of plaudits, but for the most part the negatives far outweigh the other, and offers stability and not much with it. Has a tendency to play players out of position, doesn't always recognize his best starting XI, and plays with defense in mind and a '"f*ck it if the fans don't like it, a point represents a good score" philosophy. How and why Manchester United decided this was the right candidate to succeed Ferguson in 2013 defies logic, but the latter made recommendations that he was the right name to take over. It was absurd then, today it remains so.

Took in some response from KUMB (their main fan forum) and not surprisingly the reaction was one of disdain and regret. They're not wrong : if you're looking to move away from the relegation places or bottom reaches of a league or to overall improve yourself, then what they've gone for is indeed questionable.

Best case scenario, they'll regain their EPL status for another year but not much with it. Standout moments will be few and far between, maybe a handful of heavyweight scores en-route but the general picture makes for sorry reading. Fair enough they're (West Ham) far from an individual favorite team, but got to feel a level of sympathy for the fans. Truth is, their owners rushed in with such zeal to make this appointment, there was nowhere near enough time for proper consideration for more suitable applicants.

As a last, it didn't go unnoticed the game has taken it's toll on Moyes in the 15 years of top level management, when we first got him from Preston the hair was red, now turned gray. Don't expect a change of scenery in East London to help beat the advancing years.

So i guess after reading that little lot,you cant play Dominoes Saint, have you got double six,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Hey Wolfie, I won at Dominoes on Friday night. Was the 500th customer for the day....... got a free meat feast with extra onions! Fecking sorted, man!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 pm

marko69 wrote:Hey Wolfie, I won at Dominoes on Friday night. Was the 500th customer for the day....... got a free meat feast with extra onions! Sorted!
Well that makes your opinion's sound mate, which always has been :wink: : I last won a game back in 1988,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 pm

This is his mate, 1478 miles away!

"I smell bacon!"

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 pm

TODD66 wrote:Of course he was so bad at Man Utd that his win ratio has only been bettered by 3 of their managers in history.

Ferguson
Mourinho
Ernest Mangnall (1903 - 1912 if your interested)

Not sure he could have done much more at the time.
you make a good point, I think he did "OK" at Man Utd. It was always going to be a near impossible job after Ferguson, Utd shouldn't have given him the job if they were not going to give him at least 3 or 4 years to rebuild the club. He didn't do great but he didn't land them in a disastrous place like Mourinho did with Chelsea before he left. Just seemed to me like the Utd board decided they made a mistake and wanted more of a "galactico" feel to the club. If I was a Man U fan I would have preferred Moyes over Van Gaal.

I also think saying he knows how to ruin a club is disrespectful to him, hes done a couple of decent jobs in the past. In my opinion his biggest problem now is his own self belief and confidence, I think its taken a battering this last few years, he cant single handedly be blamed for Sunderland as they are a basket case club. I don't think the West Ham job will be long term for him, hes already not wanted by many fans, and his own owner (tw*t) is already saying its a risk bringing him in so doesn't offer much confidence in him. I wish him well there and hope things do go well but could be a tough time if he doesn't get a good start.

But lets be reasonable to him, to just say hes a crap manager and good at ruining clubs is incorrect

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Let's hope they give him the rest of the season to prove........ or disprove that they were correct, he deserves that at least.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

He definitely deserves that, Watership.

West aaaaaam innit deserve consecutive relegations to the Ryman Premier! :D

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Degeneration? He’s hoping that West Ham will be his regeneration opportunity - you know, just like Dr Who. (But time might be against him - worth the risk though).

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:51 pm

The biggest problem with David Moyes is he’s fn boring.