NZ vs Peru Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Whose off to Russia

Kiwi's
33%
South Americans
50%
Not a good start for the 2nd leg
17%

Total votes: 6

Frosty
Forum Owner

NZ vs Peru Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Just kidding, couldnt be shagged doing one and Mike would probably have Peru down as the favourites anyway!

Good luck to Tommy & Monty regardless, hopefully they do themselves proud and get a bit of match time

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: NZ vs Peru Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 pm

My first thoughts were:
Scotland 1 Peru 3 (Argentina '78)
then,
Scotland 5 NZ 2 (Wark with 2) (Spain '82)

Second thoughts are a convincing Peru win in this, Frosty..... unfortunately.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 pm

You only had to ask lol.

A stroll for Peru unfortunately 3-0

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 pm

yeah, last time we were in a world cup playoff it was against Bahrain, this one seems a bit harder. :wink:

I reckon 2-0 to Peru in Wellington and then an absolute spanking at altitude in Lima.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:58 am

Its Peru win in both legs for me... But don't forget World Cup 2010!!! Only unbeaten side in the competition I think, with 3 draws in the group stage, including a memorable 1-1 with Italy!!! Not enough to see them through to the knock out stages but still better than Italys results :-)

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am

still got any Kiwi in ya Nic?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:14 am

Full of it mate... the Silver Fern tattoo on my chest never lets me forget !

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am

And just adjusted my Avatar to show :-)

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am

Nice one mate, safer bet than gambling on a tattoo for a loved one, that you no longer errr ummm love huh? :lol:

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am

PMSL! The ex wife is not mentioned anywhere on my body

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

I could think of one area you could have tattooed as a dedication to your Ex lol ..... but it’s s family forum so maybe not !!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

hallamblue wrote:I could think of one area you could have tattooed as a dedication to your Ex lol ..... but it’s s family forum so maybe not !!
I've already got one arsehole... I don't need a tattoo of another :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Frosty wrote:yeah, last time we were in a world cup playoff it was against Bahrain, this one seems a bit harder. :wink:

I reckon 2-0 to Peru in Wellington and then an absolute spanking at altitude in Lima.
Nothing wrong with a good spanking at high altitude, like a Plane passenger seat, get in there my son :lol: :lol:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 am

0-0 will take that

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:36 am

Thats a decent effort to be fair, will 1-1 be enough ? Away goals rule ?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 am

as far as I am aware, away goals rule applies.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:04 am

I see the Kiwis are being hit by dirty tricks in Peru ahead of tomorrow’s second leg....

Three military jets have conducted a spectacular low flying swoop over the New Zealand team hotel in Lima this morning.
This is a seeming continuation of the intimidation — an ear-splitting fireworks display took place outside the hotel at 3am local time this morning.
The New Zealand team are based in the JW Marriott hotel, in one of the most upper class areas of the capital on the coast.
They will be relaxing and preparing for the match, and would surely have heard the thunderous, shrill sounds as the jets flew by, as the noise was ear piercing.
The noise was audible across many blocks all down the main street of Avenida Larco, and as the jets passed by there was loud cheers and applause from all the assembled Peruvian fans out on the streets.
The underside of the jets were emblazoned with Vamos Peru (Come on Peru) in huge red letters.
It feels like the intimidation level has gone up another level, with constant reminders that the All Whites stand in the way of a nation’s football dreams.
Things might be getting serious

Good luck to the All Whites.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 am

Got to be totally honest, I wasn't really giving a sh*t who went through, such is my Scottish apathy towards the World Cup....... but after reading that ^^^^ post, and Peru going to the great effort of painting the underside of fighter jets, they just gotta win!! :D

Joking.

Go All Whites.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 am

Bad news for Frosty after New Zealand’s World Cup qualification dream was shattered by a 2-0 loss to Peru who qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time in 36 years.

Unfortunately New Zealand barely threatened the home team in Lima — which is already celebrating one of the countries’ most famous sporting moments.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am

Never mind, Frosty....... NZ got closer to it than Holland! Join the company of Holland, Italy, USA, Scotland....... and rejoice in singing, "Shove yer Worrrld Cup, Shove yer Worrrrld Cup, Shove yer Worrrrld Cup up yer Arse!" (Just don't get to know all the words off by heart like the Scots)

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 am

Well now the Peruvians will get the chance to try to fly their fighter jets over Moscow. Don't think much of their chances.......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

Agreed ^^^ ..... Putin Peruvian fighter jets over Moscow would be suicide.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 am

Wouldn't have changed the outcome, dread to think what would have happened if we had gone through however!

Peru's World Cup playoff victory against New Zealand has been marred by accusations of spectators shining lasers into the eyes of All Whites players - including goalkeeper Stefan Marinovic.

Images of Marinovic and Bill Tuiloma with a green light shining on them surfaced on social media shortly after the final whistle.

Peru secured their first World Cup finals berth in over 30 years by beating the battling visitors 2-0 at Estadio Nacional through goals to Jefferson Farfan and Christian Ramos.

All Whites coach Anthony Hudson and seasoned defender Andrew Durante expressed their frustration at the Peruvians' off-field tactics to the Herald after the match.

This is the latest incident of unsportsmanlike conduct the All Whites travelling party have had to endure over the past 72 hours.

Earlier on Thursday, three military jets conducted a spectacular low flying swoop over the All Whites' team hotel in Lima - a seeming continuation of intimidation after an ear-splitting fireworks display took place outside the hotel at 3am local time.

The New Zealand team are based in the JW Marriott hotel, in one of the most upper class areas of the capital on the coast.

Durante said the Peruvians "used every trick in the book".

"We knew that they would throw everything at us and they did," Durante said.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm

If FIFA had any weight, it'd be replayed at a neutral venue. The firework display at 3am is "BANG" out of order.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 am

I think of New Zealand in the World Cup and 1982 comes straight to focus. That five goal loss to Scotland (fair enough they got two back) in Malaga (if memory serves) but somewhat bizarrely unable to recall other scores from that group (Brazil, Soviet Union ?)

They did make it back in 2010 for a second appearance but no great achievement stands out from that occasion. Too bad they didn't make the list for Russia next year but look at the nations also that failed to qualify : United States, Ireland, Netherlands, Italy etc. (The latter is still hard to comprehend)

Just for good measure it's being hosted in a country unsuitable for the magnitude of such competition where traveling fans may be greatly reduced from previous tournaments. Would I like to be there ? Of course, it's the biggest soccer special on the planet, but with glaring omissions in the aforementioned countries and the decision to host it where it's at : it's going to be nowhere near the showcase of previous events.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm

saint jude wrote:I think of New Zealand in the World Cup and 1982 comes straight to focus. That five goal loss to Scotland (fair enough they got two back) in Malaga (if memory serves) but somewhat bizarrely unable to recall other scores from that group (Brazil, Soviet Union ?)

They did make it back in 2010 for a second appearance but no great achievement stands out from that occasion. Too bad they didn't make the list for Russia next year but look at the nations also that failed to qualify : United States, Ireland, Netherlands, Italy etc. (The latter is still hard to comprehend)

Just for good measure it's being hosted in a country unsuitable for the magnitude of such competition where traveling fans may be greatly reduced from previous tournaments. Would I like to be there ? Of course, it's the biggest soccer special on the planet, but with glaring omissions in the aforementioned countries and the decision to host it where it's at : it's going to be nowhere near the showcase of previous events.
Apart from being the only unbeaten team at the 2010 World Cup! That's a pretty good achievement. You do talk drivel sometimes me ole cocker

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 am

So they didn't lose a game, on the same level, they didn't win one either : and were eliminated at the earliest opportunity.

For some, that constitutes unsuccessful competition.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

I disagree.

Argentina 78: (the only home nation there)
---------------
Scotland 1 Peru 3
Scotland 1 Iran 1 (one of the worst results in Scottish history)
BUT......
Scotland 3 Holland 2

The only team to beat Holland over 90 minutes in the tournament. Argentina needed extra time in the final to beat them.

Failure....., but very successful in terms of GREAT memories, ....... Archie Gemmils goal etc.

Getting to the final stage and remaining unbeaten, regardless of progressing, for a country as small as NZ, was an awesome achievement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Im sure i am right in saying Forfar were represented at the world cup 1978 by a certain Alan Boath who played for New Zealand in all Three games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm going to say that you'll be spot on correct, Looney that you are....... But....... (will I say it......, ????) Yesterday? Hmmmm. Was this the worst result in their history? Definitely a Scottish Cup "shock".