Nydam & Morris sign Long term deals.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Nydam & Morris sign Long term deals.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Midfielder Tristan Nydam has put pen to paper on a new long-term Blues contract which runs to the summer of 2021 with the club having an option for a further season.

Nydam, who was 18 on Monday, previously agreed a two-year deal which was due to expire next summer on his 17th birthday, the longest players are permitted to sign until they turn 18.

The Zimbabwe-born, Colchester-raised academy product, who was recently claimed to be interesting Arsenal, made his senior debut at Luton in the Carabao Cup in August and has now made eight first-team starts and five sub appearances.

“I’m absolutely buzzing,” Nydam told iFollow Ipswich. “I’ve been at the club since I was nine years old and this extension is great for me and shows the hard work has paid off.

“The gaffer has put his trust in me and I can’t be more thankful for that. It’s been a decent season for me so far. I’ve adjusted fairly well to the Championship and I’m training well so I just need to keep going. I feel good and this is where I want to be.”

Nydam won his first and so far only England U19s cap in August, having made one appearance for the U18s side last season.
Young Town striker Ben Morris has signed a new contract which runs to the summer of 2019 with the club having an option for a further season.

Colchester-born Morris, who has won England caps at U17 and U18 levels and came through the Town academy, made his senior bow for Town as a sub at Crystal Palace in the Carabao Cup in August.

Last season the 18-year-old, who top-scored for the U23s with 12 in 2016/17 and has netted twice for Gerard Nash's side during this campaign, spent a brief spell on loan with Woking in the Vanarama National League last season, making two sub appearances.

For me this is great news, Two players who seem highly thopught of in the Football world and who ahve been brought through our academy. We can say what we like about ME and co but thsi is the way to go with our own young talent bursting through and being tied down on long contracts. So if there is any truth in the Arsenal rumour then 10 Million quid for Nydam please Wenger.

herforder

Re: Nydam & Morris sign Long term deals.

Post by herforder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Really positive and welcome news. Elements of ME’s 5 point plan coming good; must be a sense of pride and satisfaction for those involved in the Academy responsible for their development. Hopefully more to come - major part of the club’s future. Also, says something that both lads are prepared to commit themselves to longer-term contracts. (Not sure I can cope with all this positivity!) :)

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Some welcome and encouraging news.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:20 am

If there is anything to be positive about at Ipswich its the emergence of some good young talent. And as others have said the ONE good thing the club has done in the last few years is ensuring the ones doing well are rewarded with long contracts, that is a good way to go. We seem much more hesitant when it comes to senior players (ie, Chambers last year), so definitely something in ME pushing his plan. I don't have a problem with that but we all know there has to be a balance. I would like nothing more than to see ITFC challenging at the top end of the league with half our team made up of this crop of young players, lets hope they can do it

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm

herforder wrote:Really positive and welcome news. Elements of ME’s 5 point plan coming good; must be a sense of pride and satisfaction for those involved in the Academy responsible for their development. Hopefully more to come - major part of the club’s future. Also, says something that both lads are prepared to commit themselves to longer-term contracts. (Not sure I can cope with all this positivity!) :)

Don't get too excited Herforder, these players are for selling on to the big boys within the next couple of seasons, and whatever we get for them all be it Say £10 million, that will not be re invested in the first team squad, so don't get too excited about any investment plans by ME as you will be very disappointed, as we have witnessed how much has Mick spent on players in his tenure???. not a lot, how much have we had in players sold on?? quite a lot, nearer to £20 million, nuff said

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Waghorn has proved you don't have to spend silly money just for the sake of it. Apart from 2 or 3 clubs every club is now a selling club so teams like us have no chance to hold onto young talent.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:41 pm

No problem being a selling club of the Crown Jewels - IF the money was re invested back into the s noir team . But such a meagre proportion of the income from sales has been given to McCarthy.

I had s phone call today from ITFC asking me to give them money to support the academy. I told them I already do and have done for the last 4/5yrs by paying £10 monthly . Not much I grant you. But many Town fans do this. But thus request, says the caller is for an annual payment and not the same thing. I declare bed saying I “felt I was doing my bit”.

But my thoughts then I answer to the eventual outcome of the fans “ investment “ in our academy. And I conclude I am paying into the Evans Corporation fund for later reaping for Evans when players such as Nydam, Bishop and Downes will be sold. Nice little, low risk, earner for him isn’t it !!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 pm

Great news! But, at least Nydam's seems a bit suspicious with the recent Arsenal rumours. A long contract costs a bit more for a transfer. I hope we get to see Morris knocking them in for ToWn in the not too distant future. I think our youth development is getting better again...we just need to hang on to our homegrown talent long enough to benefit for a couple seasons. Of course, you know who has pound-signs in his eyes...so off to another club they will probably go. :astroll:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:47 am

hallamblue wrote:No problem being a selling club of the Crown Jewels - IF the money was re invested back into the s noir team . But such a meagre proportion of the income from sales has been given to McCarthy.

I had s phone call today from ITFC asking me to give them money to support the academy. I told them I already do and have done for the last 4/5yrs by paying £10 monthly . Not much I grant you. But many Town fans do this. But thus request, says the caller is for an annual payment and not the same thing. I declare bed saying I “felt I was doing my bit”.

But my thoughts then I answer to the eventual outcome of the fans “ investment “ in our academy. And I conclude I am paying into the Evans Corporation fund for later reaping for Evans when players such as Nydam, Bishop and Downes will be sold. Nice little, low risk, earner for him isn’t it !!
Correct Liz, you subscribe your £10 for them to sell on for a large profit, and little investment, so who's the mug?? I know we must develop our youth, but like the Sir Bobby days, bloody well keep them to slot into the first team, it pays dividends as sir Bobby proved with wise buys and youth influx

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 am

The trouble is things have changed so much, the Robson days are bloody years ago, we've had the little matter of Administration since then which I may add was way before ME came here, it was the wonderful "family run" club days that put us into Admin and as such the mess we find ourselves in today.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:17 pm

If I recall BM it was having the 2 new stands built that cost us to go into administration, should have been a little more patient and done them one at a time, as and when we could afford the finance to build them, bad decision on behalf of the board and Mr Sheepshanks, after all they hardly filled now, we have never really recovered from that scenario, the fan base is there, just need to be a tad more successful league results wise, at the moment we are stagnating around mid division, :roll: surely it has to change for the better at some stage in the future.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Yes indeed, building the stands was the reason for our "demise" as the club we once were, still undertaken when we were still regarded as a "Family club" however. I am sure one day we will return to some kind of success, I just hope I am still around to enjoy it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 pm

From memory there was a combination of events which saw us go into administration, and in many ways Town were just unfortunate victims of these events.

All clubs' spending ( as it is today under sky money), governed by money pumped into the game by TV Companies, wanting a slice of the action.

Just prior to our entry into administration, Town had qualified for European competition ( via finishing top of a football fair play league), whilst in our important 2nd year in the PL. To compete on both fronts we brought in players like Finidi George and Sereni , on big contracts. We couldn't cope with travel to UEFA games , and playing the PL game the following Saturday. One if the Town defenders actually said they had little time to prepare for the Saturday game, both tactically and physically, stating the players often felt tired. We were struggling wth relegation and got dumped out of Europe.

But worse was to come following relegation. Town had concurrent long hefty player contracts to service whilst in the Championship, and although our gates ( average 24-25k), held up remarkably well for nearly 5 seasons, the hammer blow came when Digital TV withdraw funding to the game. Town were stuffed!

So many factors appeared to conspire to our downfall. Yes the Club made a mistake getting in foreign players on high salaries, and long contracts. But we could have done without the European football in that second PL season. Whilst the loss if revenue / income from digital TV hit all Clubs hard, we had the misfortune of being relegated, with big contracts to pay.

Even today Clubs still fail to deal with this problem and the parachute monies paid to Clubs is meant to offset this, but has caused a whole host of additional problems for the game.

So from my memory of events , I would say Town's administration wise we're far more linked to the collapse of digital tv money, which just happened to coincide with our relegation, than the building of two stands. Granted it wasn't the best thing to do in hindsight. But that decision along with many others made in the ITFC board room, was made on the back of the Digital TV income which at that time seemed assured. It's loss was to prove fatal for Town and we are still paying for this today.