Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Winnable Fixture huh???

Hull Win
60%
Town Win
40%
First one of the season?
No votes

Total votes: 5

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:Well finally we got a draw! Sometimes a draw is a bonus in the context of the game and for sure to get the equaliser so late in the game was a success.

But I'm interested to discuss what changed at around 20/25 minutes that we lost our grip on the first half? (And by the way it sounds like the pattern was repeated in the second). Did the players tire and need a breather? Did Mick pull them back and start to chastise them for taking attacking risks? Did Hull change something? I wasn't there so I have nothing to offer on this. Maybe someone who was there can give an opinion?
Dubai, there wasn't anything that visibly changed around the mid way point of the first half, it appears to me the minute we are "got at" we go into our shells and stop believing we are good enough to turn teams over. from what I saw there was no change in tactics or formation from either side, they just finally got a foothold in the game and got themselves level, from that point on we seemed to hand a fair bit of control back to them, that said the stats will still show we had more attempts at goal etc but it was still disappointing in other areas as this was a game that should have been won in my opinion and while not a disaster it was hardly a rip roaring success either, We 100% need either Huws or Adeyemi in the middle alongside Skuse as Connoly is not the answer and is not even a Midfielder, Two defensive Midfielders is too much but that was certainly not the reason we failed to win, as I have already said the Two CB's were poor for an hour and up front we were slow to get Waghorn & Celina into the game, and while they treid it wasn't great frome either of them.

I wouldn't worry about not being there so not having an opinion, there are some that are never there who's opinion always knows best. Have your say.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm

charlton837 wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:
charlton837 wrote:Yes Ashford and you also called for Connolly to play. He did and I see no mention of him in your message. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point but seems to me you really want to be negative whatever the circumstances
Moi negative :shock: heaven forbid, I just knew Mick would play Scuse, rather than Bru, :? nothing fooking negative about that comment Charlton, its just a bloody fact,
Well going by what the eadt made of the game they said skuse was our best player at hull and he had his best game in a long time. I didn't go so cant make my own opinion on it. Just seems you want to pick up on him however he plays. If you want bru in the team instead fair enough. My point was you wanted Connolly in last time, so if we played skuse and bru you still wouldn't be happy. I think at the moment skuse is a certain starter. I'm not saying he's brilliant by the way, I too wouldn't mind if he wasn't in the team every week but I wont blame him for every dropped point

Marko, nice joke! Why didn't I think of that one!
And you are surprised ? we have a few who do that despite never actually seeing the game, people make their minds up on certain players before the game !!!

This was Stuart watson's thoughts on Skuse, and yes he saw the game.
A final word on Cole Skuse.

Everyone knows what he brings to the party. A real players’ player, the unsung hero, the man who sits deep in midfield, covers the gaps, intercepts, tidys up messy situations and recycles the ball in fuss-free fashion. He’s the insurance policy. He allows others to play. He’s consistent and durable.

That’s not to say there shouldn’t be a debate over his value to the team. Is all of the above enough? Should central midfielders be able to do a bit of everything? Should they be able to weigh in with at least the odd goal, assist or positive pass? Just as a flair player can be a luxury, so can an out-and-out holding player.

McCarthy dismissed such a debate as ‘pub talk’ last season when Town played some of their best football of a dire campaign during a spell when Skuse was injured. It’s a debate which reared its head again recently when Town looked a more positive team after Skuse limped off, with the score goalless, in the first-half of the 3-0 home win against Preston.

Well here at the KC Stadium, the former Bristol City man – now in the final year of his Blues contract – did it all. He was here, there and everywhere from the first whistle. He popped up in his own box at the vital moments. He pressed energetically in the final third too.

It was a display to keep a lid on that debate for a while. More of that please Cole.
But let's not let facts get in the way of a good witch hunt.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Well, what can one say....... excellent Sunday evening reading. Thanks for the both of those comprehensive and contrasting match reports. Very much appreciated.

Can I throw a player into the mix here who, over the past few weeks of reports has had a few questionable occurrences....... Luke Chambers?

Ok, Skuse has his moments, good and bad,....... Jonas has been guilty of a few, (seems to be getting slightly better in a Town shirt though)....... but, as a reader of match reports both on here and BBC/SKY, it seems Chambo is getting, let's say ------> err..... a bit sh*t? A bit unreliable?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:15 pm

marko69 wrote:Well, what can one say....... excellent Sunday evening reading. Thanks for the both of those comprehensive and contrasting match reports. Very much appreciated.

Can I throw a player into the mix here who, over the past few weeks of reports has had a few questionable occurrences....... Luke Chambers?

Ok, Skuse has his moments, good and bad,....... Jonas has been guilty of a few, (seems to be getting slightly better in a Town shirt though)....... but, as a reader of match reports both on here and BBC/SKY, it seems Chambo is getting, let's say ------> err..... a bit sh*t? A bit unreliable?
Yep your right Marco, He Chambo will be gone in May, along with The not too reliable Knudsen, and Cole can retire to a team like Brizzle Rovers, plus a couple of other players, and Mick can find pastures new, and we start a new venture with the younger players coming through, and a manager that can work to make the team a little more positive over 90 minutes on the park.

:D and the Jags got a good result against the Jambo Fuk whit's

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 pm

In my opinion it’s now the back four which appears to be our weakest link.

Apart from Wolves with 31 we’re the leagues highest goal scorers with 28 from one less game played, so we can hardly blame the strikers or the creators.

However in defence we’ve conceded 24, which outside the bottom five relegation candidates is joint second worst goal coceders after Nottingham Forest (27).

Is this a weakness to address in the January transfer window, or should we stay as we are for the current campaign?

Maybe a topic for another thread ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Definitely a good point at the new shitehole that is shitecastle for those Jags. They should've won it. The Jambos are so sh*t at the moment. Saying that, Lennon could hardly speak after the Cabbage result yesterday v St J due to sheer anger.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 pm

marko69 wrote:Well, what can one say....... excellent Sunday evening reading. Thanks for the both of those comprehensive and contrasting match reports. Very much appreciated.

He's just getting old and past it for regular Championship football marko. Like Skuse, he has no pace whatsoever. Therefore any opposition that chooses to run at us, usually sees us in trouble.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:01 am

Charnwood wrote:In my opinion it’s now the back four which appears to be our weakest link.

Apart from Wolves with 31 we’re the leagues highest goal scorers with 28 from one less game played, so we can hardly blame the strikers or the creators.

However in defence we’ve conceded 24, which outside the bottom five relegation candidates is joint second worst goal coceders after Nottingham Forest (27).

Is this a weakness to address in the January transfer window, or should we stay as we are for the current campaign?

Maybe a topic for another thread ?

Charny, I made the comment to Mike before the season even started that we were weak ( Slow) in defence and I was also very concerned about the left and right back positions. This will be the main reason why we will fail to make the playoffs.....the other being McCarthy's shackle type tactics on the team.

We will continue to leak soft goals until,money is invested in two decent CB's formthis season and right/ left backs next season.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 am

So Hallam, if I understood you correctly, you feel the whole back 4 needs replacing?

Interesting to read Chardwood's stats about 2nd top scorers and amongst the worst at conceding.

I wonder if it's not still all about midfield. This year we are surely more positive in MF than before (if I read the reports right) so wouldn't we expect exactly what we get? And doesn't this mean that maybe the back 4 aren't so bad but just not getting the protection they need.

We can't score from every chance or get a clean sheet in every game. Would it be better to be in the middle of the league table for both scoring and conceding?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:11 pm

For me Spence and Webster are fine, we have not really had a settled back line all season but the biggest thing is stupid individual errors which happen with regularity. If the defensive Midfielder was not there god knows how many we would concede.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm

for me the defense are under more pressure than they should be. We sit quite deep a lot of the time and we have quite a defensive minded midfield, especially centrally at the moment. You would think that means we have more protection but we also invite a bit of pressure on ourselves. I think we have enough attacking players to keep the ball up the other end and take the pressure off our defence by attacking more.

Its weird, we seem to do it in patches then all of a sudden hit reset and go back to old bad habits. I think they need a bit more belief in themselves that they can control a game and don't need to sit back and soak up pressure. Get a couple of goals ahead and kill the game (when possible!)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Charlton, that is exactly what I put in my Hull report, belief in ourselves is what I think is lacking, I don't believe we intentionally sit back on a lead.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:Charlton, that is exactly what I put in my Hull report, belief in ourselves is what I think is lacking, I don't believe we intentionally sit back on a lead.
I wouldn't have thought so. For me I think we only play when the opposition allows us to, we don't actively look to go and impose ourselves, we will always make sure we stop them first. There is always a balance with these things but I think this season (more than last!) we have players who can be more imposing and do hold more quality. If we went into games believing we can have the intention to play and control a game we would benefit much more.

There would be games where perhaps the opposition stop us playing and we have to change things in-game, but by at least trying to control games I think we will win more than we lose. Actually we don't look that sold defensively so there doesn't seem any benefit in us soaking up pressure as we almost always concede when doing it. I don't like playing 2 midfielders like Skuse and Connolly, but I hope Huws could be back soon, and if not him then Adeyemi/Bishop, someone who has a bit of quality in the middle, if we had that I think we would find we control games much more effectively.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Charlton, that is exactly what I put in my Hull report, belief in ourselves is what I think is lacking, I don't believe we intentionally sit back on a lead.
I wouldn't have thought so. For me I think we only play when the opposition allows us to, we don't actively look to go and impose ourselves, we will always make sure we stop them first. There is always a balance with these things but I think this season (more than last!) we have players who can be more imposing and do hold more quality. If we went into games believing we can have the intention to play and control a game we would benefit much more.

There would be games where perhaps the opposition stop us playing and we have to change things in-game, but by at least trying to control games I think we will win more than we lose. Actually we don't look that sold defensively so there doesn't seem any benefit in us soaking up pressure as we almost always concede when doing it. I don't like playing 2 midfielders like Skuse and Connolly, but I hope Huws could be back soon, and if not him then Adeyemi/Bishop, someone who has a bit of quality in the middle, if we had that I think we would find we control games much more effectively.
Charlton: as they say the best form of defence is attack, all the time you are putting the opposition under real pressure, there's less likely hood of them breaking out, and if Mick got his defence organised to cope with a sudden break out, then we should be able to win a lot more games, but I think Mick stifles his defence to sit back too deep most times, Webster to me is about the only player capable of passing his way out under pressure, Chambers is certainly not the defender he used to be, too slow now, Hallam(Liz) Is right, we do need to invest in a more solid partner for Webster, and Knudsen is very erratic, your never sure what he's going to do next in a game, playing well then a stupid mistake can cost us, he needs to be more aware of what's going on around him, but I think we will have to put up with this hot and cold performances until the end of the season, then hopefully ME can make some managerial changes, Like WBA getting shod of Pullis, who is similar in his defensive tactics as Mick

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:31 am

Dubai Blue wrote:So Hallam, if I understood you correctly, you feel the whole back 4 needs replacing?

Interesting to read Chardwood's stats about 2nd top scorers and amongst the worst at conceding.

I wonder if it's not still all about midfield. This year we are surely more positive in MF than before (if I read the reports right) so wouldn't we expect exactly what we get? And doesn't this mean that maybe the back 4 aren't so bad but just not getting the protection they need.

We can't score from every chance or get a clean sheet in every game. Would it be better to be in the middle of the league table for both scoring and conceding?

I think it’s a bit of everything really.

1: Poor cover from midfield
2: Often defending SO deep ( practically on the edge of our defensive box)
3: Poor ability to stop opposition crosses ( we often can’t get the ball past the the opposition first defender when trying to put a cross in- same can’t be said if our defenders!)
4: Apart from Webster, I’d say all of the remaining defenders are painfully slow- as is our midfield cover, Skuse !

The “ defence “, per sa, needs some serious attention and some of McCarthys favourites need to be dropped for certain games I think.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:59 pm

Good away point even it it was a late equalizer...... I will take them all the time away from home.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:The “ defence “, per sa
Could there be any chance that the club could get someone called Per Sa? They sound instantly better than everyone else.

More chance of a part time line painter called Percy?