January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:06 pm

The only thing Town ( Evans) will do in this window is sell our prized assets. And you’re right Mike . Webster has been “ McCarthied” . Ruined. Just like S Rd has been.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:01 pm

:roll: Yep Liz your right, he has been changed Webbo from a smooth positive no panic CH, to a log it down the field chambo type, the sooner he goes the better

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ Town sign winger from Forest?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm

Republic of Ireland U19 defender Barry Cotter joins Ipswich from League Of Ireland side Limerick Fee Around £70,000.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:06 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:https://www.twtd.co.uk/ Town sign winger from Forest?
Deal done according to BBC

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:00 am

Bolton ate after Didsy - seem to be pushing hard to get him. We have inquired about Rhodes on loan !!! Doubt any of this will happen as usual we l leave it all too late.

Cue Didsy “ injury” now for remainder of season if his move to Bolton is thwarted.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/422563/wat ... ’s-off/#15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 am

Pleased about Carayol, decent signing as we really need pace and he is very very quick

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 am

Bluemike wrote:Pleased about Carayol, decent signing as we really need pace and he is very very quick
Amazing how different people can have wildly differing opinions, Mike :lol: .

For me, this is an even more underwhelming signing than Giles Coke was - in fact I would go so far to say it's an absolutely crap signing.

Unfortunately, it only strengthens my belief that it does not matter who is the manager of our club - we are doomed to a good few seasons more of mediocrity due to the lack of vision and investment from the owner.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:33 am

Bluemike wrote:Pleased about Carayol, decent signing as we really need pace and he is very very quick
Pace isn't everything. Dominic Iorfa is quick.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 am

That is true but in an attacking sense it is very important, ive seen a bit of Carayol to suggest he can be a good addition, I think we need to give the guy a chance

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 am

I don't mind the signing of Carayol, only thing I would say is he is very much a journeyman these days and has struggled to hold down a place at other clubs. He is only 29 and may turn out to be OK for us though.

Also Flynn Downes moving to Luton on loan, again I can see the thinking behind this, will do him some good, but if hes fit enough to go on loan and play for Luton id prefer him to be in our team to be perfectly honest. Carayol and Gleeson are effectively on loan even though the books would say they are our players, we are in exactly the position that MM said he never wanted us in again ie. Lots of loans and short termism. Given our position in the league id rather just play our own players that will be here for a couple of years rather than the loans, if they are not as good so be it, but at least they will gather experience and learn from it.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:22 am

charlton837 wrote:I don't mind the signing of Carayol, only thing I would say is he is very much a journeyman these days and has struggled to hold down a place at other clubs. He is only 29 and may turn out to be OK for us though.

Also Flynn Downes moving to Luton on loan, again I can see the thinking behind this, will do him some good, but if hes fit enough to go on loan and play for Luton id prefer him to be in our team to be perfectly honest. Carayol and Gleeson are effectively on loan even though the books would say they are our players, we are in exactly the position that MM said he never wanted us in again ie. Lots of loans and short termism. Given our position in the league id rather just play our own players that will be here for a couple of years rather than the loans, if they are not as good so be it, but at least they will gather experience and learn from it.

Or it can work the other way. They (Carayol & Gleeson)are basically playing for a contract beyond the end of May so should try a lot harder than someone comfortable on a 2 year deal?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Just spoke to a work colleague who supports Forest, he reckons Carayol will be good for half dozen games then vanish without trace.

Im not happy about Downes going on loan tbh, would rather see him in our squad than Bru.

As for the point you make Charlton that we are in the position MM said wouldnt happen again, maybe it suggests he's leaving?

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Both short term signings are indicative of the pond ME allows MM to fish in - and is consistent with previously stated policy of bringing in loans and freebies. For once the actions match the rhetoric! Albeit will not result in most supporters leaping for joy. That said, Gleeson has shown that he’s got something to offer - not spectacular or outstanding - but nether obviously poor relative to others in the squad. Hopefully Carayol will bring something to the party - both should be given a fair chance.

To me the fact that both Gleeson and Carayol are on short term deals indicates that all future options remain open. If MM goes, his successor is not landed with them, if he stays (which remains a possibility), he will have had a chance to assess them under battle conditions, and decide on their longer term potential. Whilst the individuals concerned have an opportunity to show what they’re about.

Getting some miles in Flynn Downes’ tank, in a team going well under a good manager, makes sense. Will be interesting to see how he fairs on the injury front within a different environment.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Not much in the way of activity at the club as the transfer deadline came to an end but what transpired would have met with many fans expectations. Know little about the two or three players that came in until end of season, people provide commendable mention or offer plaudits but in truth (I) remain skeptical. Ideally we'd possess an owner who would hand over a substantial amount of money that would enable us to challenge, but obscure names and loan deals seems the order of the day.

At least we held on to some players of caliber at the club that doubtless need mention. All told it was another quiet / uneventful round of activity. Disappointing, but by no means surprising.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:Just spoke to a work colleague who supports Forest, he reckons Carayol will be good for half dozen games then vanish without trace.

Im not happy about Downes going on loan tbh, would rather see him in our squad than Bru.

As for the point you make Charlton that we are in the position MM said wouldnt happen again, maybe it suggests he's leaving?
Maybe it does suggest hes leaving but I think more likely it suggests that no decisions have been made at all. Its an even worse position to be in, if MM was 100% going then we could plan for that, if he was staying we could plan for that. But given MM openly says that the way talks have been left with ME is very much open then it says to me that neither one of them know what the other is going to do. Its almost a game of chicken, but because of this no long term approach can be taken and the only thing that can happen is we limp our way to the end of the season. How many times in January would you sign 2 championship players effectively on a 3 month contract. For the players to consider this says to me that it means nobody was willing to offer them something longer

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm

God what a bloody shambles this Club has now become under Evans. Christ I just wish he’d sod off now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am

Bluemike wrote:Just spoke to a work colleague who supports Forest, he reckons Carayol will be good for half dozen games then vanish without trace.

I didn’t want to post it on here Mike cos I didn’t want to p*ss people off, but I listened to a local news interview with Karanka after Forest had released a record seven players, and he basically inferred they were all players who’d been given a chance to perform but were all lazy and not prepared to fight for their shirt and that the squad needed some serious remedial treatment. He certainly wasn’t complimentary about any of the released players.

If you look at Carayol’s record, he’s had lots of different clubs usually making a good impact early on, only to be released later and in some cases having his contract terminated by mutual consent or after a fall out with the manager. To me this smacks of someone probably gifted but difficult to manage and a tad lazy.

I’m not convinced he’s a good acquisition but would love to be proved wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:

I didn’t want to post it on here Mike cos I didn’t want to p*ss people off, but I listened to a local news interview with Karanka after Forest had released a record seven players, and he basically inferred they were all players who’d been given a chance to perform but were all lazy and not prepared to fight for their shirt and that the squad needed some serious remedial treatment. He certainly wasn’t complimentary about any of the released players.

If you look at Carayol’s record, he’s had lots of different clubs usually making a good impact early on, only to be released later and in some cases having his contract terminated by mutual consent or after a fall out with the manager. To me this smacks of someone probably gifted but difficult to manage and a tad lazy.

I’m not convinced he’s a good acquisition but would love to be proved wrong.
Andy, that kinda backs up what this guy told me although not quite so cutting, if MM can get the best out of him and manage him well who knows but I guess for 16 games it is not really a gamble at no cost.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Unsurprisingly, Carayol’s been making all the right noises in the local media - but then that’s what all new signings do. In his case he’s presumably aiming for a longer term deal, either under MM or his successor.

Given how MM operates, however, would guess that the player’s been made well aware of what’s expected, both daily in training and on the park. Nothing less than total and consistent commitment and hard work will be acceptable - do that, and he’s got a chance. In bringing him in on a short-term free MM will be well aware of Carayol’s background, but appears to be taking a gamble that it’s going to turn out well. Time will tell - but he’s got to get on the pitch as a first step.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 pm

MM & TC have a good track record for getting the best out of players that some would have described as 'average'. Why not back them to do the same with this lad.

They don't all work out but they obviously see potential there. I wish them luck for all our sakes.