January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Re: January 2018 Transfer Window ... thoughts please ...

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am

Well looking at Wolves and maybe Barnsley after their takeover has settled down, along with ever larger parachute payments, unless ME sells out to a similarly major investor, then the job MM is doing at PR with the aim of doing a Huddersfield or a Burnley, seems to fit with ME's budget rather well. The squad IS better this year (so in that sense there have been improvements) but we have been killed with injuries to many key players. Imagine the line up if our team were all fully fit. Don't we think that we would be quite a few places higher?

I can also see MM's contract being renewed in May unless of course we are scrapping to avoid relegation by then, in which case ME will be between a rock & a hard place.

It's easy for me to say since I have little chance to actually get to any games and get the feeling that I'm wasting my cash, but from a distance I do see progress. But our injury situation beggars belief!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 am

I think we have all past the point of no return regarding MM's tenure now DB. I can only see him leaving.
I agree about the injuries . But I'm still not convinced it is a freak incident .

We have had lengthy injuries in previous seasons. Maybe its a case of us bringing in cheap : injury prone players? Or the training methods used, as often players get injured in training ( even pre season), but these are all long term injuries not little knocks.

So I can only assume we have employed damaged goods...or the fitness/ conditioning / training methods are suspect. Either way Evans cant afford to see the crowds continue to dwindle due to the bore tactics adopted by MM/ TC .

I think things have gone stale . There is much animosity between the fans / Manager which is beyond repair now , and a change is much needed IMO .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 am

Not long ago I agreed with everything Dubai said but recent crap decisions and lies etc have taken me past the point of no return also, for any idiot to say he was happy with the performance against Sheffield United says it all....moronic.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 pm

This time last season I felt that the club was in limbo with little to stir the hearts of supporters. The owner was his reclusive self showing little interest in appeasing the unrest if fans, the manager was belligerent and dismissive of fans unrest which culminated in many becoming alienated and not renewing season tickets.

The new season aided by a couple new signings brought a flicker of hope which has now died and we appear to have gone full circle to where we were twelve months ago. The manager's latest comments are the final straw as far as I am concerned and I find it difficult to raise any enthusiasm at all . I just hope above all else that MM clears off at the end of the season. Ideally sooner, but that won't happen.

As you can see, I am really pissed off with the current situation. I might even go and watch Carlos Edwards playing for Woodbrige.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:51 pm

I wouldn't be so certain that he won't clear off before the end of the season Billy.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 pm

:roll: Yep if O'Neil takes the vacant managers job at Stoke, :D and Micks Favourite to take the vacant Irish Republic managers job, of which he stated not so long ago he would jump at the chance to manage I.R Team again, then I think he will jump before being pushed, and very nice too

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm

I see McCarthy is on shortening odds to get Ireland job if O’ Neil gets Stone job.

Would love to see MZm as Irish manager with RK as side kick . Mwwahaha :lol: .No clash of egos there then eh!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm

:) Looks like its Martin O'Neill is going for the interview at the Potters, so Mick could be the next Republic manager again, crosses fingers :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 pm

I reckon it’ll go to Roy Keane . They certainly can’t work together

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm

O’Neill apparently turned down Stoke - staying with Ireland, having previously given them a verbal promise regarding his future commitment. Paul Lambert the latest name in the frame. So no impact on MM’s immediate future. However, being football, things could well change!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

O'Neil doesn't strike me as someone who would be happy to go somewhere as 2nd choice, Stoke made it clear they wanted Flores, he turned them down. Lambert on the other hand, he is probably desperate, after his job at Wolves god knows how he has managed to wrangle a PL job. Might signal Stokes ambition though

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Maybe Stoke City are following Swansea City’s example in appointing a Championship manager in preparation for next season rather than recruit a Premiership boss and the high costs that go with it. Truly a measure of both clubs ambition.

Compare these two appointments with David Moyes at West Ham and Roy Hodgson at Crystal Palace and you can quickly identify the favourites for relegation.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:Maybe Stoke City are following Swansea City’s example in appointing a Championship manager in preparation for next season rather than recruit a Premiership boss and the high costs that go with it. Truly a measure of both clubs ambition.

Compare these two appointments with David Moyes at West Ham and Roy Hodgson at Crystal Palace and you can quickly identify the favourites for relegation.
And MM at ipswich ..... :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Maybe Stoke City are following Swansea City’s example in appointing a Championship manager in preparation for next season rather than recruit a Premiership boss and the high costs that go with it. Truly a measure of both clubs ambition.

And MM at ipswich ..... :lol:

I thought we were already in The Championship when he was appointed ?...... apologies if i’ve missed the point or it’s gone completely over my head.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Stoke City's ex Manager.......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am

Sanchez to Manure, £500,000 A WEEK?!!

Not that it'll make one single ounce of a difference, but I think I'll make a stance against the football climate these days and cancel all TV subscriptions. Not Sanchez's fault, I'd no doubt rake in as much as I possibly could in his position, but fk these corporate c*nts.

Columbo & Quincy for me.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Been saying it for years marko . Sky tv has killed football in this Country !

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm

marko69 wrote:Sanchez to Manure, £500,000 A WEEK?!!

Not that it'll make one single ounce of a difference, but I think I'll make a stance against the football climate these days and cancel all TV subscriptions. Not Sanchez's fault, I'd no doubt rake in as much as I possibly could in his position, but fk these corporate c*nts.

Columbo & Quincy for me.
500k per week, AFTER TAX, AFTER f**king TAX!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:00 pm

I have always said the Premiership title is always between 5 clubs Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool....... all others are just also rans. Leicester City bucked that trend but that was just an anomaly. It's so predictable that it's become boring...... as has the style of play. At least in the Championship it's up in the air who will win it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Exactly and which is why im not slitting my wrists at the thought of never going up, its sh*te and all this crap about wanting the money wont benefit us fans one bit, in fact quite the reverse

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:33 am

Bluemike wrote:Exactly and which is why im not slitting my wrists at the thought of never going up, its sh*te and all this crap about wanting the money wont benefit us fans one bit, in fact quite the reverse
Yes i can see the ticket prices soaring & availability of tickets poor.Guess the debt will nearly get paid off,if we go up.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 am

Watership Down wrote:I have always said the Premiership title is always between 5 clubs Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool....... all others are just also rans. Leicester City bucked that trend but that was just an anomaly. It's so predictable that it's become boring...... as has the style of play. At least in the Championship it's up in the air who will win it.

So you didn’t watch Liverpool v Manchester City last Sunday ?.... this must rank as one of the best games played in England for a long time and set a benchmark for others to aspire to. It was a lesson to all coaches on how the game should be played and if only partly achieved would bring thousands of lost fans back to our football stadiums.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Trouble is Andy you can almost count the good games on One finger never mind One hand.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:Trouble is Andy you can almost count the good games on One finger never mind One hand.

I’d probably disagree Mike, living away as we do I get most of my footie fixes from watching live matches on television, the majority being Premier League games. So far this season there have been a number of cracking games and our Prem Lge is probably as good at it gets and I don’t understand why yourself and a few others can’t see it. To count on one hand my top 5 games so far would be Arsenal 4-3 Leicester, Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United, Arsenal 3-3 Liverpool, Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea and of course Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City, and it wouldn’t be difficult to find enough games to count on two hands. Trust me Mike, the Premier League is far from predictable and boring and the sooner our football team gets back amongst it the better cos by comparison the Championship is pants.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:14 am

Sadly Charny not a hope in hell whilst Evans owns the Club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Trouble is Andy you can almost count the good games on One finger never mind One hand.

I’d probably disagree Mike, living away as we do I get most of my footie fixes from watching live matches on television, the majority being Premier League games. So far this season there have been a number of cracking games and our Prem Lge is probably as good at it gets and I don’t understand why yourself and a few others can’t see it. To count on one hand my top 5 games so far would be Arsenal 4-3 Leicester, Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United, Arsenal 3-3 Liverpool, Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea and of course Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City, and it wouldn’t be difficult to find enough games to count on two hands. Trust me Mike, the Premier League is far from predictable and boring and the sooner our football team gets back amongst it the better cos by comparison the Championship is pants.
Message amongst that is; get a season ticket for the Emirates. You won't see trophies, but you'll be entertained.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Message amongst that is; get a season ticket for the Emirates. You won't see trophies, but you'll be entertained.
And surely thats what Football is all about? We have been craving entertainment at Portman Road for the past 5 years

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Then why are a lot of Arsenal fans not happy ? I would suggest most want success over entertainment.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Ideally the two shouldn’t be mutually exclusive. However, the bigger the club the greater expectation/demand for success; but, again, that’s relative. For the lower echelons of the PL, just staying there equates to a successful season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 pm

I was only basing it on charnwoods post as Arsenal were mentioned in most of the games listed.
I thought the whole conversation was from the viewpoint of the neutral supporter and watching the EPL on shitty money grabbing SKYTV?